Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So Who's the MVP? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=33751)

skinsfaninok 11-30-2009 06:57 PM

So Who's the MVP?

Well since all we talk about now a days is BAD performances by our skins, I was thinking about the NFL's MVP candidates and I came up with 5 players..
I personally think Chris Johnson should win the award.. The guy was robbed of the ROY last season and he has been nothing short of amazing this yr, he has basically carried that team with 1,396 YDS rushing with 5 games left! I'm sure Favre or Manning will get it and they all deserve it honestly .. Even Rivers, that guy is a stud. What do you all think?

1. Peyton Manning
2.Drew Brees
3.Brett Favre
4. Chris Johnson
5. Phillip Rivers

mlmdub130 11-30-2009 07:00 PM

Re: So Who's the MVP?

i'd have to say farve, this might be the best season of his career, and if you take him off the vikes and put in jackson they are nowhere close to where they are now

but i did hear today that there was a tie one year not sure when or who but if two can win i give it to johnson and farve

but seriously farve is doing so much more than i think anyone including him ever thought he could do again, and it's great to watch

Dirtbag59 11-30-2009 07:02 PM

[quote=mlmdub130;632582]i'd have to say farve, this might be the best season of his career, and if you take him off the vikes and put in jackson they are nowhere close to where they are now

but i did hear today that there was a tie one year not sure when or who but if two can win i give it to johnson and farve

but seriously farve is doing so much more than i think anyone including him ever thought he could do again, and it's great to watch[/quote]

The tie was between Manning and McNair.

MTK 11-30-2009 07:05 PM

Really tough call, right now it's a toss up between Manning or Favre.

SFREDSKIN 11-30-2009 07:05 PM

Let's wait and see who makes it to the SB, that's how an MVP should be determined.

GTripp0012 11-30-2009 07:10 PM

As good as Favre is playing, I don't think he should be in the MVP conversation. I think he, not Peterson, is the cog that is making the Vikings offense go, but the bigger difference there is that team is just as strong on defense as they are on offense, and they play a patsy every single week. Sure, Pittsburgh and Baltimore are quality opponents, but they have a negative net point differential against them. Favre has proved the doubters, myself included, incorrect, but his inclusion in the MVP conversation made about as makes as much sense as including Kyle Orton. Jared Allen is the most indispensable part there, IMO.

I'd say Manning deserves it, because he's clearly been more valuable than any other player, but IMO Brady is getting overlooked this year. Not that he should win it over Manning, but he's been more valuable than Favre has. I like that Chris Johnson is getting some pull, but I wouldn't put him in my top five either. I can't really separate his performance from Steven Jackson or Frank Gore or Ray Rice this year unless I go right to YPC, which is not where I'd start.

My top five:

1. QB Manning, Indianapolis
2. QB Brees, New Orleans
3. DE Allen, Minnesota
4. QB Brady, New England
5. CB Woodson, Green Bay

Honorable Mention: QB Rivers, San Diego; WR Welker, New England; TE Clark, Indianapolis

MTK 11-30-2009 07:13 PM

Where would the Vikes be with someone like Rosenfels at the helm?

GTripp0012 11-30-2009 07:25 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;632589]Where would the Vikes be with someone like Rosenfels at the helm?[/quote]More susceptible to the occasional upset (less blowouts), but still well out in front of the NFC North, I would think.

The difference in that division is the head to head games against Green Bay, but I have to think that Minnesota would have won both of those with a more average guy at QB, the way that defense played.

I don't want to marginalize what Favre has done with that OL group in front of him. It would be potentially the weakness of that offense (Peterson's #'s are down, even with Favre helping him), but he's only getting sacked on 6% of his dropbacks, which is very good everything considered.

The Vikings should realize that when they don't have Favre anymore, they will still have to bolster the offensive line so the next guy up (Quinn?) can continue that success.

djnemo65 11-30-2009 07:28 PM

Is the question who deserves it or who do we think will win it? I would personally go with Manning if I was voting, but it's hard to imagine Favre not winning if things continue to go the way they have been. And I don't think that's a pick anyone could really be that upset with.

Lotus 11-30-2009 07:36 PM

As of right now, with much more ball to play, I think that Favre deserves some consideration but I would argue that the Vikes would be contenders without him.

IMHO, neither the Colts nor the Saints would be performing at such a high level without Manning or Brees, and neither of these guys has Peterson. The Colts might still contend without Manning, I suppose, but I am not so sure about N.O.'s contending without Brees. The ultrahigh level on which they perform and their essential contributions to their teams' successes make Brees or Manning the choice for me.

dmek25 11-30-2009 08:03 PM

we have already seen what the Vikes look like without Favre. i have him #1. with Johnson a close second

53Fan 11-30-2009 08:17 PM

Still a lot of ball left to play. Is Favre going to continue with his td/int ratio? To be continued....

SmootSmack 11-30-2009 09:34 PM

I'd have to put Manning and Favre at the top of the list most likely (interesting side note-do you realize CJ never touched the ball on the Titans' game-winning 99 yard drive?)

possibly someone like Carson Palmer as a long shot sleeper

Raw0114 11-30-2009 09:45 PM

[quote=dmek25;632607]we have already seen what the Vikes look like without Favre. i have him #1. with Johnson a close second[/quote]

I'm on the same page but with Johnson first, Favre close second.

skinsfaninok 11-30-2009 09:47 PM

No doubt Johnson is the best player in the league right now... He reminds me of LT when he first came into the league... Favre and brees are both 2nd for me...

Ruhskins 11-30-2009 09:55 PM

Wow, with passes like that it is hard to discount Brees for MVP.

Schneed10 11-30-2009 09:56 PM

I think it's Manning or Chris Johnson.

Johnson is on pace to break 2000 yards and is threatening the NFL rushing record. That puts him high in the conversation and not only distinguishes him from Frank Gore and Steven Jackson, it distinguishes him from nearly every friggin back in NFL history.

While I don't for a second buy Gtripp's argument against Chris Johnson, as far as QBs, I do buy the argument that Favre is not as important to his team as Manning is to his. Manning doesn't just throw the ball, he's largely responsible for coordinating the offense on the field. His defense isn't nearly as good (Jared Allen and Freeney are a wash, and the Vikes are superior everywhere else), his line does not have Steve Hutchinson and Bryant McKinnie, and Addai is definitley not Adrian Peterson. Want to talk clutch? Manning has 5 straight 4 quarter comebacks this year.

If Sorgi were starting they'd be a .500 team at best. If Rosenfels or Jackson were starting the Vikes could go conservative, lean on the defense, and grind AP to a 10-6 record.

Manning, then Chris Johnson.

MTK 11-30-2009 09:57 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;632632]Wow, with passes like that it is hard to discount Brees for MVP.[/quote]

The Saints are just tearing it up tonight

jbcjr14 11-30-2009 10:02 PM

I am going with Favre and Brees. Both have been fantastic for their respective teams this season.

GMScud 11-30-2009 10:03 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;632626]I'd have to put Manning and Favre at the top of the list most likely (interesting side note-do you realize CJ never touched the ball on the Titans' game-winning 99 yard drive?)

possibly someone like Carson Palmer as a long shot sleeper[/quote]

I agree about Manning and Favre. Throw Brees in there too. Their teams are 31-1 combined, and the Colts, Vikings, and Saints (more so the Colts and Saints) wouldn't be anywhere close to that without those guys.

Chris Johnson is awesome, but Manning, Favre, and Brees are more valuable to their teams than any other players in football.

My list right now would be:

1) Peyton Manning
2) Drew Brees
3) Brett Favre
4) Chris Johnson
5) Charles Woodson (the defensive MVP is his to lose IMO)

Ruhskins 11-30-2009 10:05 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;632634]The Saints are just tearing it up tonight[/quote]

I'm surprised they didn't throw flags those two times that Brady got hit.

diehardskin2982 11-30-2009 10:05 PM

Drew brees!

GMScud 11-30-2009 10:06 PM

That last TD that Brees threw to Meachem was one of the best throws I've seen all year. A "dime" as Trent Dilfer would say.

GTripp0012 11-30-2009 10:08 PM

Brees' accuracy is redonkulous. There really are no words to describe it, so I have rely on made up words that poorly describe it.

53Fan 11-30-2009 10:12 PM

Could be another co-MVP year with Manning and Brees.

SmootSmack 11-30-2009 10:20 PM

I'm just glad that the Saints are winning. Because a loss by the Saints today would make next week doubly ugly for us

skinsfaninok 11-30-2009 10:24 PM

Man we may get murdered next week

mlmdub130 11-30-2009 10:24 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;632650]I'm just glad that the Saints are winning. Because a [B]loss by the Saints today [/B]would make next week doubly ugly for us[/quote]

does it really matter?

Ruhskins 11-30-2009 10:26 PM

Man, someone should tell Ellis to just fall on that ball.

mlmdub130 11-30-2009 10:27 PM

[quote=GMScud;632636]I agree about Manning and Favre. Throw Brees in there too. Their teams are 31-1 combined, and the Colts, Vikings, and Saints (more so the Colts and Saints) wouldn't be anywhere close to that without those guys.

Chris Johnson is awesome, but Manning, Favre, and Brees are more valuable to their teams than any other players in football.

My list right now would be:

1) Peyton Manning
2) Drew Brees
3) Brett Favre
4) Chris Johnson
[B]5) Charles Woodson (the defensive MVP is his to lose IMO)[/quote][/B]

for sure

skinsfaninok 11-30-2009 10:40 PM

Damn what a crazy game

tryfuhl 11-30-2009 10:49 PM

manning, brees, johnson

MTK 12-01-2009 08:40 AM

I agree with Schneed on Chris Johnson, he definitely deserves more love than he's getting. Maybe he'll start to get it if they keep winning. He's just straight up nasty.

rbanerjee23 12-01-2009 08:44 AM

as much as i hate favre, i think its him and brees for the co-mvp

artmonkforhallofamein07 12-01-2009 12:38 PM

Bret Farve. Not really close in my opinion. The Vikes would not be this good without #4.

Schneed10 12-01-2009 04:14 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;632779]I agree with Schneed on Chris Johnson, he definitely deserves more love than he's getting. Maybe he'll start to get it if they keep winning. He's just straight up nasty.[/quote]

Yeah he commands 8 defenders devoted to stopping him, because if he gets ANY space at all he'll find a way to break it. You've got to smother him before he gets a chance to breathe.

IMO he's the whole reason Vince Young looks at all competent right now. I don't think Young is doing anything special, but talking heads are kissing his ass because he's extending the play and making smart decisions.

There are tons of QBs in the NFL capable of that, especially when 8 defenders are looking run first.

6 straight games of 125 yards or more, only Earl Campbell and Eric Dickerson have done that. On pace for 2000 yards, that's only been done 4 times.

Barry Sanders holds the NFL record in the SB era for yards per carry in a single season, his 1997 season in which he broke 2000 yards. He ran for 6.1 per carry. Johnson currently sits at [B]6.4[/B].

If he keeps this up, you can make the case that this is the best season by any NFL running back in the SB era.

skinsfan69 12-01-2009 04:37 PM

It's got to be a toss up between brees and manning. minn was still a playoff team w/out farve. if you take manning and brees off their teams they might win 7-8 games.

12thMan 12-01-2009 04:47 PM

[quote=53Fan;632645]Could be another co-MVP year with Manning and Brees.[/quote]

You nailed it. I think it will be co-MVPs. Either Brees and Manning or Brees and Johnson.

If the Titans slip into the playoffs, even if Vince Young is largely responsible, I just don't see how Chris Johnson doesn't at least get a co-MVP honor.

tryfuhl 12-01-2009 06:39 PM

[quote=artmonkforhallofamein07;632835]Bret Farve. Not really close in my opinion. The Vikes would not be this good without #4.[/quote]
sounds like he's a team MVP then

maybe comeback player, but maybe that should go to VY.. trying to remember who else I had on this list but it's escaping me

12thMan 12-01-2009 06:53 PM

On a side, but related note, it seem like every other year we're talking about a different running back. Last year it was Peterson, couple of years back it was LT, this year Chris Johnson is running wild.