Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rushing Attack Option? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=4241)

BrudLee 12-21-2004 10:19 AM

Rushing Attack Option?

I'm a little surprised that Chris Cooley hasn't received a single rush attempt this year. He is in the backfield at the snap frequently, and opposing defenses have all but tuned him out as anything but a blocker.

I don't expect any 100-yard games out of him, but it seems that he might be a viable option on a 2nd-and-short to keep the linebackers honest. Fake the sweep to Portis and draw Cooley up the middle.

OK, I admit it. He's my goal-line back in Madden. Is that so wrong?

SKINSnCANES 12-21-2004 10:21 AM

We should definitly throw a few runs in just to keep the defense on their heels. Gibbs has been lining Cooley up as the far wideout a lot recently and that isnt the role he should be playing. Hes definitly bee na great impact player for us.

And I must also admit that I love Cooley in Madden. Not as a goal line back but as my stud TE.

joethiesmanfan 12-21-2004 10:28 AM

Personally i think thats a great idea

skinsguy 12-21-2004 10:34 AM

I wonder how effective he could be if we give him some goal line runs? Of course we also have to have the run blocking..otherwise you could drive a mack truck through the guys and still not get in the end zone.

Daseal 12-21-2004 10:50 AM

Anything is worth a try!

MTK 12-21-2004 11:52 AM

I'm really surprised we haven't tried Betts at the goal line this year. All year he's been very quick to the holes and he's got the weight advantage over Portis.

BossHog 12-21-2004 11:52 AM

No go! One of the commentators mentioned that we don't have a "hammer" for short yard situations. I thought Cartwright fit the bill from what we saw last year. He's my HB in my jumbo package on Madden. He's been activated for a few weeks now and played only on special teams. Why not use him more?!

offiss 12-21-2004 11:56 AM

I doubt we will see him with any carries he doesn't look like he would be overly effective in that area, as well Gibb's never used his H-back's on running play's, the closest he came was end around's with Doc Walker in his first SB year and he went away from that as the year's progressed.

SkinsRock 12-21-2004 01:43 PM

I've been thinking the same thing about Cooley or Sellers. They are built for power and could break through when a hole isn't there much better than a smaller back. Plus, if they were lined up as a fullback, they could catch the D by surprise...especially because "Gibb's never uses his H-back's on running plays"...

CRT3 12-21-2004 01:48 PM

My cousin and I discussed that very thing about a short yardage back since we can not seem to pound it in from the 3. Why not Lavar. Running back in high school and has the size, bulk and determination to get it 3 yards.

cpayne5 12-21-2004 02:01 PM

I wouldn't be suprised to see a big, undrafted RB make it to next year's roster for situations such as this. Possibly taking Rock's roster spot.

Drift Reality 12-21-2004 02:20 PM

I think we should put Joe Salave'a in as our goal-line and short yardage back. If you disagree with me, you're wrong.

JWsleep 12-21-2004 02:23 PM

I'm surprised we haven't seen any change up at all down there at the goal line. I was looking for Betts at least, if not Sellars.

Gibbs obviously has something he wants to make work down there, a rather precise power play that keeps getting blown up by missed blocks. Gibbs does like to stick with things until it works or until it's obvious to everyone in the universe that it doesn't (Brunell, anyone?). While I respect the fact that IF the play finally clicks, the o-line will feel a great satisfaction, come together as a group, etc., if they keep getting stuffed, they're gonna lose faith. If nothing else, we oughta be able to run a great play-action fake to Portis on 1st and goal on SUnday!

JWsleep 12-21-2004 02:24 PM

whoa. I'm a gamebreaker! Got my burgundy socks on, yo! :headbange

SmootSmack 12-21-2004 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=Drift Reality]I think we should put Joe Salave'a in as our goal-line and short yardage back. If you disagree with me, you're wrong.[/QUOTE]

Of course, what you meant to say was with Pierce firmly entrenched at MLB, let's convert Barrow to a goal-line back next year or resign Jeff Chandler and make the 6'3", 240 lb. John Hall our goal-line back

Seriously though, I think Matty is right about Betts

SKINSnCANES 12-21-2004 04:19 PM

[QUOTE=Drift Reality]I think we should put Joe Salave'a in as our goal-line and short yardage back. If you disagree with me, you're wrong.[/QUOTE]

lol, wrong huh.

GoSkins! 12-21-2004 05:53 PM

I agree, except you have the runner incorrect.:) It should be Ray Brown.

Big C 12-21-2004 07:40 PM

i dont think that cooley has experience as a runner, and id be afraid of him hitting the holes or fumbling to tell u the truth.