Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Heyer will Start against Giants (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24869)

skinsnut 09-02-2008 03:37 PM

Re: Heyer will Start against Giants

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;470411]Heyer played admirably for an undrafted rookie free agent. However, he is not a very good run-blocker or a very good pass protector. He is not incredibly strong or incredibly agile. He got his lunch handed to him in several games last year, [B]despite the fact that an extra TE was often lined up next to him to help him block his man[/B]. In sum, I see him as a mediocre backup. I pray I am wrong about the guy.[/quote]

This is a coaching thing I worry about.
I know it was preseason but there are a few points that suggest help may not be there for the OT's this year.

1 Zorn is not calling shotgun when pass rush gets bad
2 Zorn is not calling screens when pass rush gets bad
3 Zorn is calling far too few draws when pass rush gets bad
4 We have ZERO run blocking TE's on the roster this year
5 We only have 1 Blocking Fullback on the roster this year
6 I didn't see additional pass protection adjustments based on pass rush

So...either they wanted to see the linemen one on one to evaluate them and have determined they no longer need additional blocking support OR Coach Zorn has yet to determine that this Oline excells at run blocking and needs additional support in pass blocking.

Buges needs to speak up here or Portis is going to be taking on a lot of blitzes solo and that can't be good for his long term health.

If Heyer doesn't get help this week....Tuck may just squash him.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 09-02-2008 03:53 PM

[quote=skinsnut;470554]If Heyer doesn't get help this week....Tuck may just squash him.[/quote]

Yup. I think the Heyer-Tuck matchup is going to be the most important and interesting ones to watch.

redsk1 09-02-2008 04:20 PM

[quote=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;470411]Heyer played admirably for an undrafted rookie free agent. However, he is not a very good run-blocker or a very good pass protector. He is not incredibly strong or incredibly agile. He got his lunch handed to him in several games last year, despite the fact that an extra TE was often lined up next to him to help him block his man. In sum, I see him as a mediocre backup. I pray I am wrong about the guy.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly too. Heyer stunk in run blocking for the most part last year. His pass blocking was not too much better. I'd feel better w/ Jansen in there...much better. I know Jansen didn't look good this preseason but I've got to believe once the live bullets start flying he'd step it up a little. I too hope I'm wrong about Heyer.

MTK 09-02-2008 04:42 PM

[quote=skinsnut;470554]This is a coaching thing I worry about.
I know it was preseason but there are a few points that suggest help may not be there for the OT's this year.

1 Zorn is not calling shotgun when pass rush gets bad
2 Zorn is not calling screens when pass rush gets bad
3 Zorn is calling far too few draws when pass rush gets bad
4 We have ZERO run blocking TE's on the roster this year
5 We only have 1 Blocking Fullback on the roster this year
6 I didn't see additional pass protection adjustments based on pass rush

So...either they wanted to see the linemen one on one to evaluate them and have determined they no longer need additional blocking support OR Coach Zorn has yet to determine that this Oline excells at run blocking and needs additional support in pass blocking.

Buges needs to speak up here or Portis is going to be taking on a lot of blitzes solo and that can't be good for his long term health.

If Heyer doesn't get help this week....Tuck may just squash him.[/quote]

It's hard to make any solid judgments in regard to play calling based on games where the main focus isn't on winning.

skinsnut 09-02-2008 04:50 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;470589]It's hard to make any solid judgments in regard to play calling based on games where the main focus isn't on winning.[/quote]

I agree...but roster decisions such as 1 FB and no stud blocking TE have me leaning towards this being a legitamate concern.
I think we all need to be watching on how Zorn adjusts during the game to a killer pass rush....not to mention how he play calls, especially with the offense backed up towards their own end zone.

A little bit of "Gibbs Caution" in these areas would help

MTK 09-02-2008 04:52 PM

[quote=skinsnut;470595]I agree...but roster decisions such as 1 FB and no stud blocking TE have me leaning towards this being a legitamate concern.
I think we all need to be watching on how Zorn adjusts during the game to a killer pass rush....not to mention how he play calls, especially with the offense backed up towards their own end zone.

A little bit of "Gibbs Caution" in these areas would help[/quote]

We had 1 FB last year and the same TEs minus Davis.

skinsnut 09-02-2008 05:01 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;470597]We had 1 FB last year and the same TEs minus Davis.[/quote]

Yes, but we used Sellers a lot and even threw in Lorenzo Alexander in there.
We had Wade..whom some hate, but at least was decent experienced Tackle depth. I just haven't seen adjustment yet (albeit its preseason).
I know we shouldn't worry before the first game...but pass protection and run defense are 2 areas I am concerned about that I will be watching vs the Giants.

GoSkins! 09-02-2008 06:07 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;470339]Yep I agree.

No player is going to admit his game is slipping, and I'm sure that in his mind he just doesn't see it. That's the athlete's mentality.[/quote]

But how can he not see it when he gets pancaked to the ground and run over-top of to the QB by some guy who's name I doubt anyone here knows? It wasn't like he was being beat around the end by Randy White with the one-arm-whip.

Looking at the tape and saying "oh yeah, I should have used this technique and I would have beat that move" is even less credible for veterans than rookies. Just admit you need to step it up and earn your job back.