Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=36809)

ethat001 05-28-2010 09:59 PM

Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman

I remember people were talking about drafting this guy in 2008 -- I'm glad we passed on him!

[QUOTE]
[url=http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5230231]Phillip Merling of Miami Dolphins on field after assault arrest - ESPN[/url]

DAVIE, Fla. -- Defensive end Phillip Merling was in practice with the Miami Dolphins on Friday, less than 24 hours being freed from jail following a charge of aggravated battery against a pregnant woman.

Merling did not speak with reporters.

He's the fourth Dolphins player to be arrested this offseason, something coach Tony Sparano called "frustrating." Sparano also said the NFL is investigating the incident.

Merling was arrested in Weston, Fla. on Wednesday, then released from Broward County Jail on $15,000 bond and with orders that he stay away from the woman, who is his girlfriend.

Court records show the woman is 2 months pregnant with the couple's second child.
[/QUOTE]

warpaint 05-28-2010 10:09 PM

Re: Philip Merling (Dolphins) arrested for battery against pregnant woman

This is up there with Big Ben. I hate people that put hands on women. He should be suspended without question.

tryfuhl 05-28-2010 10:19 PM

oh wow.. saw the arrest headline yesterday but didn't say pregnant woman so didn't bother reading

14WOODS 05-29-2010 04:00 AM

What a scumbag, hopefully she can take all his money.

Dirtbag59 05-29-2010 04:30 AM

As much as I love Allen and Shannahan the fact remains that character concerns aren't high on their priority list. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run on him after he gets released. T.O. is the only problem child that Allen and Shanahan have even really considered staying away from.

tryfuhl 05-29-2010 07:41 AM

[quote=Dirtbag359;704007]As much as I love Allen and Shannahan the fact remains that character concerns aren't high on their priority list. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a run on him after he gets released. T.O. is the only problem child that Allen and Shanahan have even really considered staying away from.[/quote]
I wouldn't go that far

SmootSmack 05-29-2010 09:52 AM

Didn't realize it was a pregnant woman either, I actually thought he had gotten into an altercation at a club.

But again, is it proven he did this? If so, completely inexcusable. If he didn't...

And not to devert this to a TO thread. But TO isn't a "problem child" in this alleged way. TO doesn't get in trouble with the law

Longtimefan 05-29-2010 10:56 AM

Wasn't there talk about him being on the skins radar, just before he was drafted?

Guys continue making the headlines for all the wrong reasons.

GMScud 05-29-2010 11:03 AM

Another quality individual from the U.

SmootSmack 05-29-2010 11:18 AM

[quote=GMScud;704016]Another quality individual from the U.[/quote]

Think you've got him confused with someone else, unless you're thinking Clemson U.

SmootSmack 06-01-2010 01:26 PM

Damn shame

[url=http://cbs4.com/local/miami.dolphins.phillip.2.1722020.html]Sheriff Questions Dolphin's Release From Jail - cbs4.com[/url]

mredskins 06-01-2010 01:32 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704012]Didn't realize it was a pregnant woman either, I actually thought he had gotten into an altercation at a club.

But again, is it proven he did this? If so, completely inexcusable. If he didn't...

[B]And not to devert this to a TO thread. But TO isn't a "problem child" in this alleged way. TO doesn't get in trouble with the law[/B][/quote]

Seriously people love to group TO in with criminals, he may be a pain the locker room but as far as I know he is far from being a wife beater or a crook of any kind.

tryfuhl 06-01-2010 01:53 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704210]Damn shame

[url=http://cbs4.com/local/miami.dolphins.phillip.2.1722020.html]Sheriff Questions Dolphin's Release From Jail - cbs4.com[/url][/quote]

wtg cops

SBXVII 06-01-2010 01:56 PM

[quote=mredskins;704211]Seriously people love to group TO in with criminals, he may be a pain the locker room but as far as I know he is far from being a wife beater or a crook of any kind.[/quote]

I think a lot is peoples personal feelings about certain crimes. I'd take a Vick over Merling any day but others wouldn't. Heck I'd take T.O. over this joker.

To me it boils down to the team needs, and the talent level of the problem player. If it was Galloway or Wade with T.O.'s issues I'd say no way cause their talent wouldn't out weight the price in the locker room. Some people have that mind set with T.O. even though his production last yr was still better then any of our WR's, and he played in a crappy offense also.

I'm beginning to see the NFL like the WWF (or whatever it is now)... fans have players they just don't like. Doesn't matter the talent, they just don't like them and don't want them on their team. They might take a 100 Merlings but with out a doubt don't take 1 T.O.

mredskins 06-01-2010 02:01 PM

[quote=SBXVII;704221]I think a lot is peoples personal feelings about certain crimes. I'd take a Vick over Merling any day but others wouldn't. Heck I'd take T.O. over this joker.

To me it boils down to the team needs, and the talent level of the problem player. If it was Galloway or Wade with T.O.'s issues I'd say no way cause their talent wouldn't out weight the price in the locker room. Some people have that mind set with T.O. even though his production last yr was still better then any of our WR's, and he played in a crappy offense also.

I'm beginning to see the NFL like the WWF (or whatever it is now)... fans have players they just don't like. Doesn't matter the talent, they just don't like them and don't want them on their team. They might take a 100 Merlings but with out a doubt don't take 1 T.O.[/quote]

I think you are missing the point it is not a question of liking him or not, the guy is not a criminal.

Trample the Elderly 06-01-2010 02:17 PM

I'm really starting to get fed up with these overpaid babies getting away with shit that would put me under the jail. Sports have just lost their luster for me and my family. Ma-Dukes was a Pittsburgh fan and I was big into NASCAR, not anymore. These guys get away with some BS. They're just regular people to me. They're money and fame mean nothing. If you beat a woman for no good reason, force yourself on one, or just leave one pregnant and swinging in the breeze, then you're not shit in my book. I'm no angel myself, but GD, these guys are just common.

CRedskinsRule 06-01-2010 03:00 PM

Clearly Bill Parcells is not a "high character required" kinda guy:
[QUOTE]Merling is the fourth Dolphin arrested in recent months. Head coach Tony Sparano called the arrest frustrating.
[/QUOTE]
This along with his Dallas stint would seem to prove that.

firstdown 06-01-2010 03:41 PM

Ok so the girl gets knocked up by the guy once and he does not marry her so she gets knocked up again. I don't excuse what he may have done but if you fly around shit long enough your going to get some on you or start to smell like shit yourself.

over the mountain 06-01-2010 03:50 PM

i think their son is only 4-6 months old, so him being 25, shes probably younger than that. if you have a child with a guy your not 100% sure of, no need to compound the mistake with marriage.

by reports and articles i read, their infant son was present during the alleged punching and present when the girl called 911 pleading for help and yelling at merlin to stop punching her.

she ended up with redness on her face and a cut lip.

i wanted the skins (vinny) to draft this guy if he continued to slip and was available to us in the 2nd round. i think the dolphins picked him in teh 2nd before we had a chance to select? heard he sounds like a real dumbass during interviews. i imagine his lack of intelligence and poor work ethic played into his draft drop.

seriously, i never want to draft a guy with a poor work ethic. im am hoping trent's rep is more smoke then merit.

firstdown 06-01-2010 05:14 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;704229]I'm really starting to get fed up with these overpaid babies getting away with shit that would put me under the jail. Sports have just lost their luster for me and my family. Ma-Dukes was a Pittsburgh fan and I was big into NASCAR, not anymore. These guys get away with some BS. They're just regular people to me. They're money and fame mean nothing. If you beat a woman for no good reason, force yourself on one, or just leave one pregnant and swinging in the breeze, then you're not shit in my book. I'm no angel myself, but GD, these guys are just common.[/quote]

Golf is about the only sport now days if your setting standards. Its the only sport where a guy will call a 2 stroke penalty on himself durn a playoff or anytime for that matter.

DIRTEE 06-01-2010 07:13 PM

Philip Merling is a big clown ass coward for hitting a woman. If she has any cousins or brothers I hope they whip his ass.

GMScud 06-01-2010 07:53 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704018]Think you've got him confused with someone else, unless you're thinking Clemson U.[/quote]

Oh, who was the DE from Miami that got drafted that year?? Calais Campbell maybe?

sportscurmudgeon 06-01-2010 09:24 PM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;704229]I'm really starting to get fed up with these overpaid babies getting away with shit that would put me under the jail. Sports have just lost their luster for me and my family. Ma-Dukes was a Pittsburgh fan and I was big into NASCAR, not anymore. These guys get away with some BS. They're just regular people to me. They're money and fame mean nothing. If you beat a woman for no good reason, force yourself on one, or just leave one pregnant and swinging in the breeze, then you're not shit in my book. I'm no angel myself, but GD, these guys are just common.[/quote]

Amen and Amen to that!

SmootSmack 06-01-2010 09:47 PM

[quote=GMScud;704305]Oh, who was the DE from Miami that got drafted that year?? Calais Campbell maybe?[/quote]

Yeah that's the one.

SmootSmack 06-01-2010 09:54 PM

Athletes are necessarily getting any more preferential treatment than they did 50 years ago when reporters protected Mickey Mantle and his indiscretions from the public. We just know more about it now.

And for every Phillip Merling there's a London Fletcher, Casey Rabach, Devin Thomas, Ryan Torain, Carlos Rogers, Andre Carter, Stephon Heyer, Paul Fanaika, Phillip Daniels, Reed Doughty, etc respecting the law

TheSmurfs22 06-01-2010 10:07 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704324]Athletes are necessarily getting any more preferential treatment than they did 50 years ago when reporters protected Mickey Mantle and his indiscretions from the public. We just know more about it now.

And for every Phillip Merling there's a London Fletcher, Casey Rabach, Devin Thomas, Ryan Torain, Carlos Rogers, Andre Carter, Stephon Heyer, Paul Fanaika, Phillip Daniels, Reed Doughty, etc respecting the law[/quote]
~~~~~~~~~
Agreed on both fronts. In a news cycle that is around the clock we are going to hear more about these guys. The old saying is, "If it bleeds it leads."
It is time we start heralding more of the good guys like the Fletchers, Carters and Doughtys.

tryfuhl 06-01-2010 10:09 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;704324]Athletes are necessarily getting any more preferential treatment than they did 50 years ago when reporters protected Mickey Mantle and his indiscretions from the public. We just know more about it now.

And for every Phillip Merling there's a London Fletcher, Casey Rabach, Devin Thomas, Ryan Torain, Carlos Rogers, Andre Carter, Stephon Heyer, Paul Fanaika, Phillip Daniels, Reed Doughty, etc respecting the law[/quote]
you see your boy Torain give me a shout on his twitter?

SmootSmack 06-01-2010 10:11 PM

Unfortunately, people really only want to talk about the bad guys. Look at how few posts the thread about the good deed Ochocinco did has gotten over the past few days. If the thread was about Ochocinco demanding a trade or being arrested for speeding (or something along those lines) it would have had 10 replies in the first 5 minutes.

Kalisto2010 06-02-2010 02:54 AM

[quote=Trample the Elderly;704229]GD, these guys are just common.[/quote]

Can you elaborate further on this point?

Kalisto2010 06-02-2010 02:59 AM

Here's what really pisses me off. The media makes a point to report every story involving a player in the NFL. I just Googled "Hockey Player arrested assault" and pulled up a plethora of similar stories. I don't see anyone generalizing the entire sport of Hockey and labeling them criminals.

sportscurmudgeon 06-02-2010 10:44 AM

[quote=Kalisto2010;704350]Here's what really pisses me off. The media makes a point to report every story involving a player in the NFL. I just Googled "Hockey Player arrested assault" and pulled up a plethora of similar stories. I don't see anyone generalizing the entire sport of Hockey and labeling them criminals.[/quote]

...and in Europe the press revels in the pecadillos of soccer players instead of NFL players. Any surprise there?

The reason NFL players get more attention is that more people in the US give a damn about NFL football than hockey or soccer or ...

Ergo, the news coverage of events associated with NFL players is greater in the US. There is no conspiracy here; there is no secret cabal of the media elite to ruin NFL players' lives. It's just that more folks in the US care about NFL players than other categories of athletes.

Kalisto2010 06-02-2010 01:54 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;704392]...and in Europe the press revels in the pecadillos of soccer players instead of NFL players. Any surprise there?

The reason NFL players get more attention is that more people in the US give a damn about NFL football than hockey or soccer or ...

Ergo, the news coverage of events associated with NFL players is greater in the US. There is no conspiracy here; there is no secret cabal of the media elite to ruin NFL players' lives. It's just that more folks in the US care about NFL players than other categories of athletes.[/quote]

You're completely missing my point. I never insinuated anything about a vast conspiracy. What I'm ticked off about is the selective criticism and condemnation that NFL players receive. The media, plus some of the fans act as If this type of behavior is unheard of amongst professional athletes. Lastly, there's always the undertone of "Typical Black Thug". When in reality, it's only a small percentage of players who're actively breaking law by doing nefarious deeds.

JoeRedskin 06-02-2010 04:34 PM

[quote=Kalisto2010;704446]You're completely missing my point. I never insinuated anything about a vast conspiracy. What I'm ticked off about is the selective criticism and condemnation that NFL players receive. The media, plus some of the fans act as If this type of behavior is unheard of amongst professional athletes. Lastly, there's always the undertone of "Typical Black Thug". When in reality, it's only a small percentage of players who're actively breaking law by doing nefarious deeds.[/quote]

First: I don't think SC missed the point at all - there is not "selective criticism ... of NFL players". More fans watch the NFL, their players provide a higher profile for the media and, as a result, they get more coverage. If the NHL were [I]the[/I] big sport in the US then you can bet its bad boys would be getting more coverage.

It's pretty simple: More fans are concerned about the local NFL team so more fans want to know what "their" players are doing. Its not selective coverage, its pandering to the lowest common denominator of the largest identifiable group. Really, how many folks are going to run to stories about bad NHL players - some Canadiens and a couple of drunk guys in Boston. It's simple math and money.

Second: HUH? Racial undertones? Is that why you picked the NHL as opposed to the NBA which [I]also[/I] has it's share of bad boys that don't get the coverage the NFL does? I get the feeling you're more pissed b/c of some perceived racial issue than b/c "football players" get bad coverage.

davy 06-02-2010 06:30 PM

[quote=Kalisto2010;704446]You're completely missing my point. I never insinuated anything about a vast conspiracy. What I'm ticked off about is the selective criticism and condemnation that NFL players receive. The media, plus some of the fans act as If this type of behavior is unheard of amongst professional athletes. [B]Lastly, there's always the undertone of "Typical Black Thug". [/B]When in reality, it's only a small percentage of players who're actively breaking law by doing nefarious deeds.[/quote]

[IMG]http://strategerie.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/roethlisberger1.jpg[/IMG]