Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location tbd (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=63594)

mooby 01-04-2016 08:40 AM

Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location tbd

[url=http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/report-redskins-unveil-drawings-new-stadium-location-tbd]Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location TBD | CSN Mid-Atlantic[/url]

This will be huge if it's true. Can't wait to see what the design looks like, but hopefully it's not so expensive it will price average joe's like me out of the equation (not that I've ever been able to afford season tickets anyways).

Chico23231 01-04-2016 09:06 AM

Re: Report: Redskins to unveil drawings of new stadium, location tbd

Why do I have this feeling they are going back into DC?

mooby 01-04-2016 09:10 AM

I thought DC didn't want them back unless they changed the name? I don't see the Skins going back unless DC softens on that stance.

Ruhskins 01-04-2016 09:12 AM

[quote=mooby;1135899]I thought DC didn't want them back unless they changed the name? I don't see the Skins going back unless DC softens on that stance.[/quote]

Money talks, and with the team being successful now, it will be hard for the District to miss out. Plus, I think the issue has somewhat died down IMO.

Schneed10 01-04-2016 09:22 AM

I recall the discussion being that Virginia was very open to having the team. Like mooby, I don't think DC will be receptive to the extent they have the ability to stop it. I think it's likely going to be a NoVA venue.

Ruhskins 01-04-2016 09:29 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1135901]I recall the discussion being that Virginia was very open to having the team. Like mooby, I don't think DC will be receptive to the extent they have the ability to stop it. I think it's likely going to be a NoVA venue.[/quote]

So is Maryland. I think Snyder wants to be in DC though.

Alvin Walton 01-04-2016 09:36 AM

No matter where they go I can see a name change heavily baked into this.
sigh.....

Giantone 01-04-2016 09:41 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1135901]I recall the discussion being that Virginia was very open to having the team. Like mooby, I don't think DC will be receptive to the extent they have the ability to stop it. I think it's likely going to be a NoVA venue.[/quote]

This , If I remember right one of the old sites is still there right off rt 1 in Crystal City ,metro is already there,so are restaurants, airport,hotels and close to the new National harbor in Maryland

skinsfan69 01-04-2016 10:19 AM

There is no place to put a stadium in Virginia. The location in Crystal City is gone as they've build numerous homes, condos and houses in that area. Not to mention there's a shopping center there too. It's a traffic nightmare. This is where Cooke originally wanted to go, Potomac Yard area.

Also don't really see any area in MD either. Someone mentioned a while ago an empty farm in Oxon Hill. That's no where near a metro and it would be off the beltway. Just don't see that working.

Only place is DC where RFK is. It would be the perfect place to put the new stadium. And maybe the only place where there is any room left where there's a metro.

donofriose 01-04-2016 10:26 AM

I want to know who would pay for it. These deals tend to screw whatever city or area they end up being in.

Giantone 01-04-2016 10:39 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1135910]There is no place to put a stadium in Virginia. The location in Crystal City is gone as they've build numerous homes, condos and houses in that area. Not to mention there's a shopping center there too. It's a traffic nightmare. This is where Cooke originally wanted to go, Potomac Yard area.

Also don't really see any area in MD either. Someone mentioned a while ago an empty farm in Oxon Hill. That's no where near a metro and it would be off the beltway. Just don't see that working.

Only place is DC where RFK is. It would be the perfect place to put the new stadium. And maybe the only place where there is any room left where there's a metro.[/quote]

I was thinking farther down the road from the Potomac yards area.There is no empty farm in Oxen hill ,it's a park and a working farm.

Defensewins 01-04-2016 10:43 AM

So who is paying for this monstrosity? Tax payers? Tax payer backed bonds?

over the mountain 01-04-2016 11:03 AM

If it is in VA, i dont see MD skins fans making that trek. Its have to be right across the potomac but idk. The battle line for the Skins-Ravens is frederick/howard/AA county. Over a 15-20 year period, that could mean even more MD kids go Ravens instead of Skins.

skinsfan69 01-04-2016 11:15 AM

[quote=Giantone;1135919]I was thinking farther down the road from the Potomac yards area.There is no empty farm in Oxen hill ,it's a park and a working farm.[/quote]

Even when you go further down 1 there is no place to put a stadium. Right after Potomac Yard is Old Town Alexandria. Then once you get outside the beltway on 1 there just isn't any room or a metro. You'd have to get near where Pohick is and a little past Mount Vernon to maybe have enough land. But again, there no metro that far down.

I don't know much about that Oxon Hill area. I know it was mentioned by the media.

mooby 01-04-2016 11:18 AM

I don't see it happening in NoVa either, it has to be metro accessible and there's nowhere in Arlington/Alexandria to put it. Putting it out somewhere in Loudoun County would be a terrible idea too. I figure VA really doesn't care about the name so that's a positive though. The best spot seems to be RFK but if DC still doesn't want them back without a name change it will never happen there. MD would clearly still love to keep the team too but idk any suitable locations there. I heard about the farm location across 495 from Nat'l Harbor but with no metro access I doubt they go there. Maybe they renovate RFK and play there for a couple seasons while they tear down Fedex and rebuild there?