Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins and Vikings agree on McNabb trade (updated: deal is done) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42987)

skinsfaninok 07-26-2011 06:26 PM

Redskins and Vikings agree on McNabb trade (updated: deal is done)

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/report-vikings-redskins-agree-to-trade-only-if-mcnabb-agrees-to-contract/]Report: Vikings, Redskins agree to trade, only if McNabb agrees to contract | ProFootballTalk[/url]

skinsfaninok 07-26-2011 06:27 PM

re: Redskins and Vikings agree on McNabb trade (updated: deal is done)

Figured McNabb is worth his own thread, seeing that last year we thought we had our franchise QB

CultBrennan59 07-26-2011 06:28 PM

I hope McNabb adjusts his contract so we can end half of this fiasco in washington

NC_Skins 07-26-2011 06:29 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;813376]Figured McNabb is worth his own thread, [/quote]

No, he's not...lol

budw38 07-26-2011 06:30 PM

Too bad he is not coming back for a year , with an o-line we could have been pretty good ( IMO ) .However getting some compensation is better than nothing , hope DM and the Vikings can work out a new deal .

skinsfaninok 07-26-2011 06:30 PM

Oh now NC lol lets play nice

sportscurmudgeon 07-26-2011 06:31 PM

Nothing in Donovan McNabb's previous behavior suggests that he is a mean or vindictive person.

Nonetheless, I wonder if he is tempted to draw this out for a while just to see the Shanahans twist in the wind a bit...

Wish I could read his mind now - - and Mike Shanahan's too if the Vikes/McNabb negotiations extend out over a couple of days...

steveo395 07-26-2011 06:32 PM

There is no reason for him not to redo his contract. If he doesn't, he has to wait until right before the season to get cut, and then he would probably sign with the Vikings anyway for less money, but he'll be way behind. He'll only be screwing himself if he doesn't redo his deal. But McNabb was never known for being smart...

mooby 07-26-2011 06:35 PM

For a 5th and 7th? Get that deal done asap lol. Am I the only sitting here thinking next year we might be looking at using our first, Oakland's fourth, and possibly this 5th and 7th as trade bait to move up in the draft to get our qb next year? If that's their line of thinking I'm digging that. And also add whatever we might get for Haynesworth.

As far as sources for the 5th and 7th that I'm hearing, I just got that from [URL="http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/42856-2011-redskins-free-agent-rumors-reports-9.html#post813346"]SS's post[/URL] in the Skins free agent thread.

Defensewins 07-26-2011 06:35 PM

DM will talk to the other Qb starved teams to see what he is worth to them. Then make his decision. He needs to do what is best for him.
I don't think there is any animosity after this much time. There might have been 7 or 8 months ago, not now.

SmootSmack 07-26-2011 06:39 PM

The 5th and 7th is just speculation right now, nothing concrete

GTripp0012 07-26-2011 06:44 PM

Well, lets see. We acquired McNabb when he had "at least three good years left." That was a minimum. Signed him to a long term deal to be the QB of the future. We're willing to trade him a year later.

So knowing that he has at least two good years left, I really hope he brings a first round pick in return.

MTK 07-26-2011 06:46 PM

[quote=sportscurmudgeon;813385]Nothing in Donovan McNabb's previous behavior suggests that he is a mean or vindictive person.

Nonetheless, I wonder if he is tempted to draw this out for a while just to see the Shanahans twist in the wind a bit...

Wish I could read his mind now - - and Mike Shanahan's too if the Vikes/McNabb negotiations extend out over a couple of days...[/quote]

Don't you think it would also be in his own best interest to get this done ASAP so he can move on and start getting up to speed with things in Minny?

Time is of the essence for everyone involved.

In the end DM isn't that kind of guy anyway.

mooby 07-26-2011 06:48 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;813398]The 5th and 7th is just speculation right now, nothing concrete[/quote]

True, but I could see it being a 5th and 7th if a bidding war starts up between teams like Cincy/Miami/Minny.

Why don't they do what we did last year and make it a conditional offer. Say, a 5th if he has an average to below average season, a 4th if he has a decent season and hits certain escalators, or a 3rd if he has a Pro Bowl type season and exceeds everyone's expectations?

GTripp0012 07-26-2011 06:48 PM

[quote=mooby;813394]For a 5th and 7th? Get that deal done asap lol. Am I the only sitting here thinking next year we might be looking at using our first, Oakland's fourth, and possibly this 5th and 7th as trade bait to move up in the draft to get our qb next year? If that's their line of thinking I'm digging that. And also add whatever we might get for Haynesworth.

As far as sources for the 5th and 7th that I'm hearing, I just got that from [URL="http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/42856-2011-redskins-free-agent-rumors-reports-9.html#post813346"]SS's post[/URL] in the Skins free agent thread.[/quote]Well, you can't move up in the 1st round on the backs of those three picks, but if there's a quarterback of second round value that fits your scheme, those three picks should be more than enough to position the team to get a second tier target.

And yeah, a 5 and a 7 for McNabb's contract is a bargain. It's not that friendly of a deal to the team that is acquiring it, unlike Haynesworth's. Which is why this hasn't gone through yet.