Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around the NFL: NFL Offseason (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64813)

SunnySide 05-04-2021 02:24 PM

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens have signed two-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva to a two-year deal Tuesday, it was announced.

The deal is for $14 million and includes $8 million that is fully guaranteed, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
[url]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31388394/alejandro-villanueva-baltimore-ravens-reach-2-year-deal-source-says[/url]

With the NFL adopting the Chiefsí proposal to allow a much wider swath of players to wear single-digit numbers, any player that tries to change his number may end up writing a check for something more than a sum in the single digits.

Recently, the league reiterated to PFT the policy regarding number changes by players. If a player requests a change for the upcoming year and there is existing inventory of unsold jerseys with his current number on them, the player must purchase the unsold jerseys before the change happens. (At wholesale cost, not retail ó presumably.) If the player declines to do so, they can remain in the number and change the following year, at no cost.

[url]https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/21/players-who-want-to-change-to-single-digit-numbers-may-have-to-write-a-check/[/url]

baltimoreskin ... looks like it. wow

Monkeydad 05-04-2021 02:41 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1283203]I don't get veterans doing this. Don't they have to buy out all of the stock of their old jerseys?[/quote]

It is a jerk move to your fans. If you're changing teams like Patrick Peterson...do whatever you want. If you're an established player, a star player with fans who have bought your merchandise, you're screwing them over.

SunnySide 05-06-2021 01:11 PM

Yahoo Sports
NFL memo reminds everyone that Broncos don't owe injured Ja'Wuan James $10M
Jason Owens
Jason Owens
Wed, May 5, 2021, 6:51 PM

Denver Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James suffered an Achilles tear on Tuesday, a devastating blow for an athlete in his prime.

Making matters considerably worse, James might be out $10 million because of the injury. He suffered the tear while working out away from team facilities, a detail that allows the Broncos to void his otherwise fully guaranteed contract.

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-sends-memo-reminding-everyone-that-broncos-dont-owe-injured-ja-wuan-james-10-m-225103869.html[/url]

James ... you played the game wrong. If you get injured in the offseason, you need to hide it until about 2 mins into team sanctioned workouts .. then lay down and point to knee.

Cooley years ago said this happens every year. Guy injured during offseason, hides it, waits for 1st day of practice and goes down early.

Thats why we always see a handful of "injuries" on day 1.

AnonEmouse 05-06-2021 06:46 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1283339]Yahoo Sports
NFL memo reminds everyone that Broncos don't owe injured Ja'Wuan James $10M
Jason Owens
Jason Owens
Wed, May 5, 2021, 6:51 PM

Denver Broncos right tackle Ja'Wuan James suffered an Achilles tear on Tuesday, a devastating blow for an athlete in his prime.

Making matters considerably worse, James might be out $10 million because of the injury. He suffered the tear while working out away from team facilities, a detail that allows the Broncos to void his otherwise fully guaranteed contract.

[url]https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-sends-memo-reminding-everyone-that-broncos-dont-owe-injured-ja-wuan-james-10-m-225103869.html[/url]

James ... you played the game wrong. If you get injured in the offseason, you need to hide it until about 2 mins into team sanctioned workouts .. then lay down and point to knee.

Cooley years ago said this happens every year. Guy injured during offseason, hides it, waits for 1st day of practice and goes down early.

That's why we always see a handful of "injuries" on day 1.[/quote]

Pretty hard to hide an Achilles tear. He'd struggle to walk let alone hide it until camp starts. To fix it for his own health, let alone his playing career, he'd have to get surgery ASAP. No way he'd be able to hide that.

punch it in 05-06-2021 06:52 PM

Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

[QUOTE=AnonEmouse;1283352]Pretty hard to hide an Achilles tear. He'd struggle to walk let alone hide it until camp starts. To fix it for his own health, let alone his playing career, he'd have to get surgery ASAP. No way he'd be able to hide that.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe a shoulder or something but not an achilles. Does he crawl from his car to the locker room to the field on day one?
I mean for ten million dollars ill try to walk around the block with my nutz in a vice but it probably aint happening.

sdskinsfan2001 05-06-2021 07:30 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283206]It is a jerk move to your fans. If you're changing teams like Patrick Peterson...do whatever you want. If you're an established player, a star player with fans who have bought your merchandise, you're screwing them over.[/quote]

NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, buy a jersey of an active player. If you do, that risk is on you.

And you can still wear the jersey if it's a different number. All the actual fans will know.

Pervis_Griffith 05-06-2021 07:41 PM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1283357]NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, buy a jersey of an active player. If you do, that risk is on you.

And you can still wear the jersey if it's a different number. All the actual fans will know.[/quote]

Reminds me of my younger brother, who went to Indiana University, and was gifted a Redskins jersey by a graduating senior in his fraternity when my bro was a freshman. It was a Heath Shuler jersey.

When the Skins played at the Colts a year or two later, my brother wore the jersey to the Hoosier Dome, but had put a piece of tape over the name Shuler, and wrote in big block letters CONWAY. Conway was our punter at the time, but wearing #5. My bro got compliments from Skins and Colts fans alike throughout that game.

sdskinsfan2001 05-06-2021 07:46 PM

[quote=Pervis_Griffith;1283360]Reminds me of my younger brother, who went to Indiana University, and was gifted a Redskins jersey by a graduating senior in his fraternity when my bro was a freshman. It was a Heath Shuler jersey.

When the Skins played at the Colts a year or two later, my brother wore the jersey to the Hoosier Dome, but had put a piece of tape over the name Shuler, and wrote in big block letters CONWAY. Conway was our punter at the time, but wearing #5. My bro got compliments from Skins and Colts fans alike throughout that game.[/quote]

That was genius for multiple reasons.

punch it in 05-06-2021 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=Monkeydad;1283206]It is a jerk move to your fans. If you're changing teams like Patrick Peterson...do whatever you want. If you're an established player, a star player with fans who have bought your merchandise, you're screwing them over.[/QUOTE]

Idk. I think the jersey automatically goes retro at one point. Like Sean Taylors 36.

Monkeydad 05-07-2021 12:00 PM

This season is going to look weird.

LB Micah Parsons:

[img]https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5ab4527b3c3a536a7a352c05/1620305414955-7KC8C424O0H8ME725YZ9/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kMh3mVmBaCAeGwqCLG3iONRZw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZamWLI2zvYWH8K3-s_4yszcp2ryTI0HqTOaaUohrI8PIarJWwnumkapRz_nmTYj1dpaH2rx--_BA62nv3IYPJxMKMshLAGzx4R3EDFOm1kBS/thumb.aspx.jpeg?format=500w[/img]

AnonEmouse 05-07-2021 12:36 PM

Yes it's a while ago but I bought 4 jerseys (not at the same time!). Moss, Portis, Arrington and Bailey. Within 12 months of buying their jersey each one was gone! I vowed I would never buy another jersey for a current player, and since I have only bought an ST Pro Bowl jersey after he died (I had to after that hit on Moorman LOL). I have no desire to jinx the team! :)

AnonEmouse 05-07-2021 12:37 PM

[quote=punch it in;1283354]Agreed. Maybe a shoulder or something but not an achilles. Does he crawl from his car to the locker room to the field on day one?
I mean for ten million dollars ill try to walk around the block with my nutz in a vice but it probably aint happening.[/quote]

Especially if tis still attached to the workbench...

Monkeydad 05-07-2021 01:46 PM

[quote=AnonEmouse;1283419]Yes it's a while ago but I bought 4 jerseys (not at the same time!). Moss, Portis, Arrington and Bailey. Within 12 months of buying their jersey each one was gone! I vowed I would never buy another jersey for a current player, and since I have only bought an ST Pro Bowl jersey after he died (I had to after that hit on Moorman LOL). I have no desire to jinx the team! :)[/quote]

I still wear my Portis jersey.

If I ever buy another it will be Taylor, Monk or Green.

Son has a Kerrigan and daughter has an Alex Smith...they're both "collector's items" starting this year. Not a big deal, kids grow anyways.

Son has a McLaurin and a Chase shirt, both Summo designs. That's the way to go for current player stuff. :biggthump

punch it in 05-07-2021 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=AnonEmouse;1283420]Especially if tis still attached to the workbench...[/QUOTE]

I didnít think the thought could hurt more than it already did....

AnonEmouse 05-07-2021 07:45 PM

[quote=punch it in;1283437]I didnít think the thought could hurt more than it already did....[/quote]

Depends if the bench is bolted to the floor or not?

BaltimoreSkins 05-09-2021 09:03 PM

DJ Metcalf finishes last in his 100m heat at 10.37 sec. not bad time for a football player
[url]https://apple.news/ARN9j0eq9SGuq8negIYxIDA[/url]

AnonEmouse 05-10-2021 05:23 AM

[QUOTE=BaltimoreSkins;1283485]DJ Metcalf finishes last in his 100m heat at 10.37 sec. not bad time for a football player
[url]https://apple.news/ARN9j0eq9SGuq8negIYxIDA[/url][/QUOTE]

Definitely but that's over 1/4 of a second higher than the qualifying time. Knocking that off your time for an athlete already in peak physical shape is difficult. I can't help wondering if he did it with an eye on actually qualifying, or just a publicity stunt. Strikes me as reminiscent of TO...

Monkeydad 05-10-2021 09:41 AM

He said he wanted to pursue the Olympics and I think he did, but being fast and training as a sprinter are two different worlds, as he just learned.

The actual sprinters likely got really motivated to not get beat by a football player thinking he could just show up and beat them.

Hopefully he's a humble guy.

Monkeydad 05-10-2021 09:42 AM

Our guy chose a weird number for a LB in Cleveland.

[img]https://fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_4301000/ff_4301279-6345190a349b2f60b676_full.jpg&w=340[/img]

And what did I saw about diva WRs...

[img]https://fanatics.frgimages.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=/productimages/_4301000/ff_4301163-7f16287e1cf383f41bed_full.jpg&w=340[/img]

skinsfaninok 05-10-2021 02:10 PM

Jax has signed Tebow per NFLN LOLOLOL

BaltimoreSkins 05-10-2021 02:19 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283503]He said he wanted to pursue the Olympics and I think he did, but being fast and training as a sprinter are two different worlds, as he just learned.

The actual sprinters likely got really motivated to not get beat by a football player thinking he could just show up and beat them.

Hopefully he's a humble guy.[/quote]

If he wants to make Olympic trials he has a long ways to go for sure. He was last in his heat so very far from qualifying for the finals and the Golden Games don't really draw top talent not a single runner was ranked in the top 20 in world in the 100 m field. Whatever though it is good for T&F headed into a bizarre Olympics.

MTK 05-10-2021 02:21 PM

Considering how much bigger Metcalf is than those sprinters he was really impressive.

BaltimoreSkins 05-10-2021 02:26 PM

Agreed. 10.36 is no joke. I'd like to see him indoors run the 60m .

Monkeydad 05-10-2021 03:09 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1283529]Jax has signed Tebow per NFLN LOLOLOL[/quote]

Yep, it's official!

[url]https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/6114/tim-tebow[/url]

I hope he proves all of you wrong. :D

MTK 05-10-2021 03:21 PM

Props to Tebow for not giving up, but honestly if he actually makes it to week 1 I'll be surprised.

Monkeydad 05-10-2021 03:24 PM

He has basically no competition at TE in Jax.

Here are the other TEs on their roster:

James O'Shaughnessy
Chris Manhertz
Ben Ellefson
Tyler Davis
Luke Farrell

MTK 05-10-2021 03:29 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283539]He has basically no competition at TE in Jax.

Here are the other TEs on their roster:

James O'Shaughnessy
Chris Manhertz
Ben Ellefson
Tyler Davis
Luke Farrell[/quote]

And they all have several years of actual experience playing the position. He's got a tough road ahead.

Giantone 05-10-2021 03:43 PM

[quote=MTK;1283538]Props to Tebow for not giving up, but honestly if he actually makes it to week 1 I'll be surprised.[/quote]

Not a surprise really , a College Coach giving a former College star a job.

EdmundDorf 05-10-2021 04:05 PM

[quote=MTK;1283538]Props to Tebow for not giving up, but honestly if he actually makes it to week 1 I'll be surprised.[/quote]

Props for wasting the prime years of his career insisting he was a QB even when noone would pay him to play there and ignoring the opportunity to switch to TE until it is way too late?

Monkeydad 05-10-2021 04:11 PM

[quote=MTK;1283540]And they all have several years of actual experience playing the position. He's got a tough road ahead.[/quote]

Farrell is a 5th round pick who had 12 total receptions in college, pure blocking TE.

He should easily beat him out at least.

I'd think a QB would be able to grasp route running pretty quickly. Logan Thomas did. Edelman made the transition to receiver well too.

MTK 05-10-2021 04:14 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1283547]Farrell is a 5th round pick who had 12 total receptions in college, pure blocking TE.

He should easily beat him out at least.

I'd think a QB would be able to grasp route running pretty quickly. Logan Thomas did. Edelman made the transition to receiver well too.[/quote]

Blocking is one of the toughest things about playing TE.

Logan Thomas made the switch in 2016. These things take time.

BaltimoreSkins 05-10-2021 06:51 PM

Fact Urban Meyer has never won a championship in Florida without Tim Tebow. Fact Jacksonville is in Florida. Fact bears eat beets.

Pervis_Griffith 05-10-2021 08:06 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1283551]Fact Urban Meyer has never won a championship in Florida without Tim Tebow. Fact Jacksonville is in Florida. Fact bears eat beets.[/quote]

Bears.
Beets.
Battlestar Gallactica.

OnceWeWereKings 05-11-2021 05:33 AM

[quote=pervis_griffith;1283552]bears.
Beets.
Battlestar gallactica.[/quote]

michael!!

Monkeydad 05-11-2021 09:55 AM

Expect Tebow to also play fullback and get goal line carries. Runs and even passes off jet sweeps could happen.

He'll be a gimmick player, a lot like Taysom Hill. To think Urban will only use him as a traditional tight end is foolish.

It may not always work, but it should be fun to watch.

EdmundDorf 05-11-2021 10:02 AM

Wonder how long it will take Urban Meyer and Trevor Lawrence to get tired of losing. Lawrence will have lost more games in the first 6 weeks in the NFL than his entire HS and college career. Will one or two bad losing years for Urban Meyer make him throw the towel in ala Steve Spurrier

MTK 05-11-2021 10:09 AM

The Jags could have a sneaky good offense assuming Lawrence hits the ground running.

BaltimoreSkins 05-11-2021 10:10 AM

They might be in the easiest division. Indy is okay. Tennessee can't play D and Houston is in turmoil

Redskins247 05-11-2021 10:23 AM

I think the Jags could have some success early...ala Chip Kelly when he took over the eagles and even with RGIII to an extent. The offense will be somewhat unique and different, so it will take part of the season for defenses to get a hold on it...assuming Lawrence plays decent. If they have both their games against Houston and a few other bottom division teams in the first 8 games, they could be 4-4 I think. They'll be interesting if nothing else...which is something they haven't been in a long time.

Monkeydad 05-11-2021 10:32 AM

[quote=MTK;1283576]The Jags could have a sneaky good offense assuming Lawrence hits the ground running.[/quote]

Travis Etienne and James Robinson might be the best 1-2 RB duo in the NFL

Add in Lawrence, Tebow and at WR they have DJ Chark, Marvin Jones and Phillip Dorsett.