Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around the NFL: NFL Offseason (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64813)

skinsfaninok 02-21-2021 05:21 PM

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/e3c228cb4dc3a9dbbf0a0ac333c0459a.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pervis_Griffith 02-21-2021 08:47 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1277816][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/e3c228cb4dc3a9dbbf0a0ac333c0459a.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I wonder how much farther up we could go losing $14M with Alex Smith ... of course, those teams ahead of us could also make similar moves ... I still love where we are though. Maybe we can distract DS around draft time, with something ... hmmm .. . oh, I dunno - cheerleader tryouts?

Ruhskins 02-21-2021 08:49 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1277799]I don’t think putting that comparison together took much effort. It’s pretty obvious and when the teams look different in a month, we will look a lot better than they do.[/quote]

Anything can happen in any given season, but IMO it is a bit ridiculous to overlook all the issues the Iggles have. The Iggles have no cap room, have aging players, no true WR, a terrible o-line, a young QB with much to prove, and a new coaching staff that have no allegiances to said QB (sounds familiar?)

Pervis_Griffith 02-21-2021 09:13 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1277822]Anything can happen in any given season, but IMO it is a bit ridiculous to overlook all the issues the Iggles have. The Iggles have no cap room, have aging players, no true WR, a terrible o-line, a young QB with much to prove, and [B]a new coaching staff[/B] that have no allegiances to said QB (sounds familiar?)[/quote]

The new coaching staff to me, is the potential time bomb. Could it be great? Sure ... but even if they are great, all the other issues you point out will "hide" the coaching staff greatness. And anything short of great will only magnify all those other problems.

As a Louisville Cardinal season ticket holder for the past 22 years, I have a soft spot in my heart for the Iggles new DC ... Jon Gannon. He was a solid safety for the Cardinals waaaay back in the day, and then an injury sidelined him pretty much for good. He started his coaching career pretty much then. I was surprised to see him get this DC spot, given his relative inexperience. I have my doubts that he is ready for this step up. But we will see.

CRedskinsRule 02-27-2021 01:30 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1277816][IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210221/e3c228cb4dc3a9dbbf0a0ac333c0459a.jpg[/IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

That doesn't jive with overthecap.com's effective cap space which has the top 10 effective cap as:
1: Jaguars 82M
2: Jets 68M
3: Patriots 62.2M
4: Colts 43.6M
5: Broncos 42.3M
6: WFT 38.3M
7: Bengals 37M
8: Panthers 29.7M
9: Dolphins 22.8M
10: Chargers 21.8M

Not sure what they are including in their projections?

CRedskinsRule 02-27-2021 01:42 PM

Have any franchise tags been placed yet? or extensions of players expected to be tagged? seems like a very quiet first week of tags.

EdmundDorf 02-27-2021 04:03 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1278184]That doesn't jive with overthecap.com's effective cap space which has the top 10 effective cap as:
1: Jaguars 82M
2: Jets 68M
3: Patriots 62.2M
4: Colts 43.6M
5: Broncos 42.3M
6: WFT 38.3M
7: Bengals 37M
8: Panthers 29.7M
9: Dolphins 22.8M
10: Chargers 21.8M

Not sure what they are including in their projections?[/quote]

It didn't agree with sportrac's own webpage when I looked when this was first posted so either it is very old or not real

[Edit] it still doesn't, they currently have us in seventh, maybe CBS are just idiots

Chief X_Phackter 02-28-2021 12:07 PM

[quote=Scalper;1278196]Not sure how you get us better at QB, since we don't have one, LOL. I would disagree with some of those weightings. On the other hand, Philly has contended and won a SB in recent memory, we haven't. Paper tiger?[/quote]

They haven't contended and won a SB with the team they currently have, not even close. There's less than 10 starters still on that team who were on that SB roster.

QB is a tossup. Small sample size, but Jalen Hurts hasn't impressed. Sure he can run, but even you have said that's not sustainable at that position in the NFL. At this point, Kyle Allen is probably better than Jalen. Heinicke may be as well, but again - small sample size.

You can disagree. I just pulled the rankings from various sites that do that sort of thing. Feel free to look it up.

skinsfan69 02-28-2021 03:46 PM

Still can not believe the Eagles are going w/ Hurts.

SkinzWin 02-28-2021 09:50 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1278215]Still can not believe the Eagles are going w/ Hurts.[/quote]

Has that been publicly announced? Not surprised. I thought he played decently during his short stint

skinsfaninok 03-01-2021 09:15 AM

This is a headline from The Athletic

NFL free agency OL rankings: [B]Trent Williams, Brandon Scherff[/B] should cash in

The Irony lol

sdskinsfan2001 03-01-2021 11:22 AM

Deshaun Watson is being a big fucking cry baby.

Maybe him and Russell can suck each others thumbs.

KI Skins Fan 03-01-2021 11:44 AM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1278254]Maybe him and Russell can suck each others thumbs.[/quote]

QB #1: First, close your eyes.

QB #2: Hey, that's not my thumb!

MTK 03-01-2021 11:47 AM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1278254]Deshaun Watson is being a big fucking cry baby.

Maybe him and Russell can suck each others thumbs.[/quote]

I've really been surprised about RW. Never thought he'd be the type to try to force his way out of town but here we are.

Ruhskins 03-01-2021 11:55 AM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1278254]Deshaun Watson is being a big fucking cry baby.

Maybe him and Russell can suck each others thumbs.[/quote]

He's in his prime and wants to go to a team that is not dysfunctional. It's funny that you are on the side of a team that is doing the same thing that Bruce Allen did with Kirk and Trent Williams.

I also think it is funny that no one bats an eye when teams release players as part of business decisions, but everyone always has a problem with players not wanting to remain with their team for the same reasons.

MissouriSkin 03-01-2021 12:01 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1278262]He's in his prime and wants to go to a team that is not dysfunctional. It's funny that you are on the side of a team that is doing the same thing that Bruce Allen did with Kirk and Trent Williams.

I also think it is funny that no one bats an eye when teams release players as part of business decisions, but everyone always has a problem with players not wanting to remain with their team for the same reasons.[/quote]

Then he shouldn’t have signed an extension there and hit free agency.

BaltimoreSkins 03-01-2021 12:20 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1278263]Then he shouldn’t have signed an extension there and hit free agency.[/quote]

Does that mean WFT shouldn't be releasing Alex Smith since they signed a contract with him? DW is acting in the confines of the rules it is all good IMO.

Pervis_Griffith 03-01-2021 12:21 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1278263]Then he shouldn’t have signed an extension there and hit free agency.[/quote]

This.

Watson's situation is a little different, since the Houston implosion around him happened AFTER they locked him up contract-wise.

Wilson looks awful in how he's suddenly unhappy with things.

MissouriSkin 03-01-2021 12:25 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1278267]Does that mean WFT shouldn't be releasing Alex Smith since they signed a contract with him? DQ is acting in the confines of the rules it is all good IMO.[/quote]

No it means if as he has said, he’s hated it there for almost since he’s been there, then he shouldn’t have signed a contract to stay. He had a path to leave, which was not sign an extension. Has nothing to do with anyone else.

skinsfaninok 03-01-2021 12:51 PM

Cardinals are giving J.J. Watt a two-year, $31 million deal that includes $23 million guaranteed, per source.

MTK 03-01-2021 12:56 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1278274]Cardinals are giving J.J. Watt a two-year, $31 million deal that includes $23 million guaranteed, per source.[/quote]

They must really think he's got something left in the tank.

skinsfaninok 03-01-2021 12:57 PM

Yeah and they will pair him with Jones so that should be a solid pass rush

MTK 03-01-2021 12:59 PM

He's missed a ton of time the last 5 years and will be 32 this month. I say good luck with that Cardinals.

skinsfaninok 03-01-2021 01:06 PM

I agree

Ruhskins 03-01-2021 01:08 PM

[quote=MTK;1278279]He's missed a ton of time the last 5 years and will be 32 this month. I say good luck with that Cardinals.[/quote]

Especially since he's been having back issues. That was one of the reasons I was fine with us not getting Stafford.

mooby 03-01-2021 01:27 PM

[quote=MTK;1278279]He's missed a ton of time the last 5 years and will be 32 this month. I say good luck with that Cardinals.[/quote]

He's still good when healthy.

Key words when healthy.

FrenchSkin 03-01-2021 04:03 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1278274]Cardinals are giving J.J. Watt a two-year, $31 million deal that includes $23 million guaranteed, per source.[/quote]

What? Didn't expect that kind of contract at all for him. No knock on him, but he's not the player he once was [SIZE="1"](saying that I realized the guy is just one year older than me haha).[/SIZE]

simbosargos75 03-01-2021 04:16 PM

As a guy that saw all of the Watts play in high school and share an alma mater with them, that contract is nuts.

I can't see how he's going to be healthy enough to make that worthwhile for the Cardinals.

Chief X_Phackter 03-01-2021 04:38 PM

[quote=simbosargos75;1278295]As a guy that saw all of the Watts play in high school and share an alma mater with them, that contract is nuts.

I can't see how he's going to be healthy enough to make that worthwhile for the Cardinals.[/quote]

Definitely some injury history there, but that's part of the game. He did start all 16 games in 2020, and all 16 games in 7 of his 10 years in the league, so it's not like he's constantly injured.

In Arizona he won't have to do it all himself either, with Chandler Jones on the other side. I think he will have a big impact there. This probably makes them a top 10 defensive line.

simbosargos75 03-02-2021 10:52 AM

[quote=Chief X_Phackter;1278298]Definitely some injury history there, but that's part of the game. He did start all 16 games in 2020, and all 16 games in 7 of his 10 years in the league, so it's not like he's constantly injured.

In Arizona he won't have to do it all himself either, with Chandler Jones on the other side. I think he will have a big impact there. This probably makes them a top 10 defensive line.[/quote]

I hope you're right. The Watts are the only players I would ever cheer for even if they were on the Cowboys.

I'll be pulling for him big-time.

I don't think he's worth anywhere near what they paid him if he produces like he did last year (despite playing all 16 games). He was an average DE last year.

GridIron26 03-02-2021 11:20 AM

[quote=simbosargos75;1278321]I hope you're right. The Watts are the only players I would ever cheer for even if they were on the Cowboys.

I'll be pulling for him big-time.

I don't think he's worth anywhere near what they paid him if he produces like he did last year (despite playing all 16 games). He was an average DE last year.[/quote]

I didn't watch Texans games much last year but Watts always had been doubled team or even triple teamed whenever he plays, Texans didn't really have any other players to take off the pressure from Watts. Playing with Jones will take off some pressure from Watts, which undoubtedly will make Watts play better.

skinsfaninok 03-02-2021 01:46 PM

The #Dolphins have informed LB Kyle Van Noy he will be released, source says.
@CameronWolfe
indicated this might be coming. It's confirmed.

EdmundDorf 03-02-2021 03:10 PM

KVN Drafted by Mayhew in Detroit

FrenchSkin 03-02-2021 04:41 PM

One more solid ILB veteran on the market, hope we get to sign one of them. I'm tired of getting gashed in the run game despite our Dline.

AnonEmouse 03-03-2021 05:48 AM

Agreed. I think we definitely need to replace Bostic and probably KPL. Holcomb's play is propping up the group. Van Noy might be expensive, but probably not as expensive as his Dolphins contract (given the reduced cap); I'd test the waters. And he'd be a good leader, the kind of guy RR and JDR like.

Chief X_Phackter 03-03-2021 08:49 AM

Nah, he's slower than Bostic and a year older. I don't see him as an upgrade.

skinsfaninok 03-03-2021 09:39 AM

If Gisele had it her way, the Super Bowl would have been Tom Brady's last ride ... 'cause the QB says his supermodel wife urged him to retire after the game, saying, "What more do you have to prove?"

CBS SPORTS

I wish he would retire but I understand why he doesn't

Chief X_Phackter 03-03-2021 10:00 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1278383]If Gisele had it her way, the Super Bowl would have been Tom Brady's last ride ... 'cause the QB says his supermodel wife urged him to retire after the game, saying, "What more do you have to prove?"

CBS SPORTS

I wish he would retire but I understand why he doesn't[/quote]

I would rather him keep playing and see how many more SB wins he can rack up. Put that record out of reach...