Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why The Cowboys Will Go To The Super Bowl (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=16247)

12thMan 12-07-2006 04:45 PM

Why The Cowboys Will Go To The Super Bowl

If you saw my thread on 5 Surprises....5 Disappointments (shameless self-promotion), I mentioned that the Cowboys were among my surprises. I think Dallas is playing better ball than all of the NFC, yes even the Chicago Bears. For starters, the Cowboys are about as healthy as can be expected at this point in the season, so health isn't a major concern for them.

The emergence of Tony Romo can't be underestimated as it appears that the team has rallied behind him, and even Bill Parcells has looked re-energized in recent weeks.

The other possible contenders in the NFC are the [B]Bears[/B], [B]Saints[/B], and [B]Seahawks[/B]. Of course, you could always throw another team or two like the Panthers or the Rams in the mix, but I'll stick with these for now.

All things being considered, the 'Nawlins' Saints are having a great season. They could prove to be very dangerous in the playoffs this year. No one really expected them to turn it around the way they have so quickly. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Parcells and his former assistant Payton go head to head in an [I]NFC Championship[/I] game. If the Seahawks could somehow get home field advantage they could go deep in the playoffs, but road games appear to be this team's achilles heel as three of their four losses have been road games. One would have to figure if they travel to either Dallas or Chicago to play in the bitter cold they might be doomed.

And that brings me to the Chicago Bears. Without saying, the Bears are capable of playing a very dominating style of football, but the biggest question mark for them right now is at quarterback. No single position can determine the outcome of a game more than the play of the quarterback, especially with the stakes so high. Not only has Rex Grossman not managed games well as of late, but he has become mistake prone at the wrong time during the season. I think as good as their defense is, eveything pivots on how well Grossman plays down the stretch.

A combination of Dallas starting to peak at the right time and the Bears cooling off, could land the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Who will they play if they indeed go to Super Bowl? Well that's another discussion.

SmootSmack 12-07-2006 04:47 PM

Re: Why The Cowboys Will Win the Super Bowl

This is something I just can't bring myself to think about. I....I....I just don't want to talk about it! <<TAF runs crying to his room>>

12thMan 12-07-2006 04:52 PM

mods can you change the title for me: Why Cowboys will [I]GO[/I] to the Super Bowl. thx.

12M

724Skinsfan 12-07-2006 05:03 PM

The Cowboys barely got past a dysfunctional Giants team. I think Romo's day in the sun is about to get rained on. Remember, everyone had a love affair with Grossman early in the season because of his amazing stats. Defenses figured him out: pressure.

freddyg12 12-07-2006 05:04 PM

[quote=12thMan;257141]mods can you change the title for me: Why Cowboys will [I]GO[/I] to the Super Bowl. thx.

12M[/quote]

ok, now that sounds more reasonable, though still depressing.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Dallas- Indy or SD

rickmmrr 12-07-2006 05:09 PM

Re: Why The Cowboys Will Go To The Super Bowl

This is a post for a cowterds forum. Not here.

If you have to talk about an improving team pick an AFC team on the west coast.

The season is bad enough already.

freddyg12 12-07-2006 05:10 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;257143]The Cowboys barely got past a dysfunctional Giants team. I think Romo's day in the sun is about to get rained on. Remember, everyone had a love affair with Grossman early in the season because of his amazing stats. Defenses figured him out: pressure.[/quote]

I hope so. He hasn't faced a great pass rush yet, & if they play the bears he will get some pressure he's never seen before.
He did avoid the rush well vs. ny. He throws the balll on the run as well as anybody.

Southpaw 12-07-2006 05:14 PM

It's hard to dispute that the Cowboys are playing the best football in the NFC at the moment. If they can lock up home field advantage, they could go deep into the playoffs. It'd be tough to keep this momentum going long enough to make it to the Super Bowl, but they probably have just a good a chance as anyone else in the NFC.

While it pisses me off to admit Dallas has a shot at the Super Bowl, it eases my heart to know that they'll be thoroughly embarrassed by the Colts, Chargers, or basically any of the AFC juggernauts that'll be waiting for them, if they happen to make it that far.

Supaoop 12-07-2006 05:14 PM

First off I hate da cowgirls anyway.......

How iin the world can we make the playoffs if there is any chance left??

(I still have a dream)

VTSkins897 12-07-2006 05:26 PM

i'm depressed. but you're probably right.

jbcjr14 12-07-2006 05:30 PM

Well, the Cowboys very well may go to the Super Bowl but I don't think they get there if the Bears win home field advantage. The Bears in January at home are VERY tough to beat when they have a good team to boot. It took all we had to beat them up there when Darrell Green ran back the punt for a TD (ohhhh the memories).

Dallas is healthy and they are playing well enough to win games. I hate it as much as the next Redskin fan, but its reality.

steveo395 12-07-2006 05:32 PM

This is the one thread that should never be on a Redskins website. You should be ashamed of yourself 12thMan.

scowan 12-07-2006 06:19 PM

I will just find it almost impossible to watch the Super Bowl if the Cowboys make it. Regardless, of the NFC, as much as I would like to see Peyton win the big game, I have a soft spot in my heart this year for the Chargers. I hope they make the Superbowl and maybe beat up the Cowboys if it comes to that.

dall-assblows 12-07-2006 06:22 PM

i dispise this thread

GhettoDogAllStars 12-07-2006 06:26 PM

The Cowboys are very good, and they have chemistry. I think Marion Barber has been almost as big a surprise as Romo.

If they stay healthy, they could go to the Superbowl -- but they won't beat the AFC.

BeastsoftheNFCeast 12-07-2006 06:27 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if they went, but I think the Saints have more potential. Personally, my philosophy is that a team with a great offense and an OK defense are better than teams with a good offense and a good defense ( I think that because you controll what your offense does, that makes it more valuable than the defense which does what it does in response to the Offense), and the Saints have the best offense in the league, the most passing yards, and Deuce and Reggie in the back.

RedskinRat 12-07-2006 07:03 PM

I would love to see them get to the Super Bowl and then lose by a score of 56 - 0.

GTripp0012 12-07-2006 07:06 PM

If this is the Cowboys peaking...then they have no shot to win it. I don't see any way they would win IN Chicago. I think this matchup with the Saints is going to speak volumes and could determine who gets the bye in the NFC.

SmootSmack 12-07-2006 07:11 PM

The Seahawks have been flying under the radar. They could be dangerous with Alexander and Hasselbeck both back now

GTripp0012 12-07-2006 07:49 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;257143]The Cowboys barely got past a dysfunctional Giants team. I think Romo's day in the sun is about to get rained on. Remember, everyone had a love affair with Grossman early in the season because of his amazing stats. Defenses figured him out: pressure.[/quote]I don't think Grossman has been figured out, per say. I feel that he's just trusting his receivers a little too much. By necessity, I tend to think Grossman will correct his mistakes and stop being so turnover prone by the time the playoffs roll around. He's getting grilled here as bad as MB was right now, and I think Lovie Smith is making the right decision by not making the switch. They're 10-2, they've locked up the division, and appear to be close to locking up HFA throughout. Let the guy play through his struggles.

The Cowboys really don't impress me all that much. They are the best team in this division, but its funny that there is SB talk surrounding this team and they aren't even as good as we were [I]supposed[/I] to be preseason.

Saints and Bears have a better chance. Cowboys need to get the bye first before they can talk super bowl.

GTripp0012 12-07-2006 07:51 PM

[quote=TAFKAS;257198]The Seahawks have been flying under the radar. They could be dangerous with Alexander and Hasselbeck both back now[/quote]In a weak NFC they certainly pose a threat, but I noticed Sunday Night that Hasselbeck appeared to be playing with a lot of pain and that his play seemed to be affected. I'll be damned if he is 100%. Alexander or no Alexander, that team has no running game, and ultimately won't get past the 2nd round of the playoffs, if they are lucky.

djnemo65 12-07-2006 08:54 PM

I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, but I don't mind when they are good. It's like the great villains in prowrestling when you were a kid. When Earthquake killed Jake the Snake's python I was so angry I couldn't speak, but it made it so much more fun to watch. The Cowboys have been so pathetic for so long, it's comforting in a way to know that, with the Skins back home for the playoffs, I'll have someone to root passionately for - whoever the Cowboys are playing.

Rexi 12-07-2006 09:19 PM

I think I called the Cowboys taking the division pretty early in the year.

BeastsoftheNFCeast 12-07-2006 09:42 PM

[quote=Rexi;257242]I think I called the Cowboys taking the division pretty early in the year.[/quote]

Well then that was just a lucky pick. If the Giants had Toomer, and half of their D that was injured, they woulda rocked the entire NFC. The only guys that woulda stood in their way was the Eagles, but then McNabb/Stallworth/Kearse got hurt. Your pick was right, but wouldnt have been if it wasnt for those unpredictable injuries. And no one could predict Romo being this much better than Bledsoe.

SmootSmack 12-07-2006 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=djnemo65;257234]I hate the Cowboys as much as anyone, but I don't mind when they are good. It's like the great villains in prowrestling when you were a kid. When Earthquake killed Jake the Snake's python I was so angry I couldn't speak, but it made it so much more fun to watch. The Cowboys have been so pathetic for so long, it's comforting in a way to know that, with the Skins back home for the playoffs, I'll have someone to root passionately for - whoever the Cowboys are playing.[/QUOTE]

I only don't mind when we're both good. When we can harken back to the glory days when the games meant something. When one team would finish 14-2 and the other 13-3. Those were the days...sigh

djnemo65 12-07-2006 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS;257245]I only don't mind when we're both good. When we can harken back to the glory days when the games meant something. When one team would finish 14-2 and the other 13-3. Those were the days...sigh[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. If Earthquake had come back and roughed up Jake it wouldnt have been quite the same, huh.

Pocket$ $traight 12-07-2006 10:06 PM

Don't buy into the hype. The O line is still garbage and Romo looked human last week.

I am salivating just thinking about what the Bears D would do to Romo....

charlielyons 12-07-2006 10:26 PM

[quote=BeastsoftheNFCeast;257244]Well then that was just a lucky pick. If the Giants had Toomer, and half of their D that was injured, they woulda rocked the entire NFC. The only guys that woulda stood in their way was the Eagles, but then McNabb/Stallworth/Kearse got hurt. Your pick was right, but wouldnt have been if it wasnt for those unpredictable injuries. And no one could predict Romo being this much better than Bledsoe.[/quote]
they are getting some players back soon and i look for them to make a strong run into the playoffs

Rexi 12-07-2006 10:36 PM

[quote=BeastsoftheNFCeast;257244]Well then that was just a lucky pick. If the Giants had Toomer, and half of their D that was injured, they woulda rocked the entire NFC. The only guys that woulda stood in their way was the Eagles, but then McNabb/Stallworth/Kearse got hurt. Your pick was right, but wouldnt have been if it wasnt for those unpredictable injuries. And no one could predict Romo being this much better than Bledsoe.[/quote]
I just thought with the addition of TO, the team would be primed for a playoff run. I didn't expect Bledsoe to come out and look like complete crap, but he did and when I watched them I saw that he was what was holding the team back. I liked Romo since the preseason though I didn't ecpect the guy to come on this strong.

Lucky pick or not it looks like I was right. I could really care less...

12thMan 12-08-2006 01:29 AM

I have to tell you I was impressed when I got home and read so many posts on this thread. I think the Redskins in all of us would hate to imagine Dallas going to the Super Bowl, but the football fan in us can see this is a real possibility.

Of course any team is capable of getting hot in the playoffs and making a run for the Super Bowl. My argument is that Cowboys are as well equiped as any team in the NFC right now and they have a very crafty Bill Parcells to boot. And before you get started, please spare me of the Mike Holmgren speech.

As far as Romo, yes he has looked human, and may be capable of more mistakes, but right now he's playing with a lot of swagger and so is his team. Seattle can't win on the road, and Rex Grossman will help the Bears self destruct before it's all said and done. After that you have to think the Saints are a real threat to the Cowboys.

We might not like it, but at least it's a different conversation from the same tired Redskins threads we've worn out over the past month.

12thMan 12-08-2006 01:42 AM

[quote=724Skinsfan;257143]The Cowboys barely got past a dysfunctional Giants team. I think Romo's day in the sun is about to get rained on. Remember, everyone had a love affair with Grossman early in the season because of his amazing stats. Defenses figured him out: pressure.[/quote]

Whether the Giants are dysfunctional or not the Cowboys beat them.
I think too many people are standing around with their arms folded, waiting for Romo to implode, so they can say I told you so. I for one, just don't think it's going to happen.

I think there is a young quarterback in Washington D.C. that is keenly aware of how Romo has stepped up.

dgack 12-08-2006 01:42 AM

[quote=Southpaw;257151]It's hard to dispute that the Cowboys are playing the best football in the NFC at the moment.[/quote]

I'll take the Saints for $1000, Alex. Not only is it a legit pick, it's the feel-good pick and prevents me from having to agree with Dallas being the top NFC club at the moment.

TheDiesel 12-08-2006 02:27 AM

I agree this post belongs on a Cowgirls site. Even if you predicted it from the beginning, what does that prove? You're a Cowgirls fan at heart? Her's a prediction for you.....Cowboys suck and will not make it to the Superbowl......no way no how. Unfortunately the NFC east has not been good this year and the Cowboys have risen to the top of a very low hill.

dmek25 12-08-2006 06:22 AM

i refuse to participate in any Dallas thread about winning. now, if we are going to talk about dallas sucking....

hesscl34 12-08-2006 09:46 AM

[quote=12thMan;257137]If you saw my thread on 5 Surprises....5 Disappointments (shameless self-promotion), I mentioned that the Cowboys were among my surprises. I think Dallas is playing better ball than all of the NFC, yes even the Chicago Bears. For starters, the Cowboys are about as healthy as can be expected at this point in the season, so health isn't a major concern for them.

The emergence of Tony Romo can't be underestimated as it appears that the team has rallied behind him, and even Bill Parcells has looked re-energized in recent weeks.

The other possible contenders in the NFC are the [B]Bears[/B], [B]Saints[/B], and [B]Seahawks[/B]. Of course, you could always throw another team or two like the Panthers or the Rams in the mix, but I'll stick with these for now.

All things being considered, the 'Nawlins' Saints are having a great season. They could prove to be very dangerous in the playoffs this year. No one really expected them to turn it around the way they have so quickly. I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Parcells and his former assistant Payton go head to head in an [I]NFC Championship[/I] game. If the Seahawks could somehow get home field advantage they could go deep in the playoffs, but road games appear to be this team's achilles heel as three of their four losses have been road games. One would have to figure if they travel to either Dallas or Chicago to play in the bitter cold they might be doomed.

And that brings me to the Chicago Bears. Without saying, the Bears are capable of playing a very dominating style of football, but the biggest question mark for them right now is at quarterback. No single position can determine the outcome of a game more than the play of the quarterback, especially with the stakes so high. Not only has Rex Grossman not managed games well as of late, but he has become mistake prone at the wrong time during the season. I think as good as their defense is, eveything pivots on how well Grossman plays down the stretch.

A combination of Dallas starting to peak at the right time and the Bears cooling off, could land the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Who will they play if they indeed go to Super Bowl? Well that's another discussion.[/quote]

Good grief. A post like this is just what we need when we are down and out! (sarcasm) This kind of talk should not be allowed!! :postcop:

Southpaw 12-08-2006 10:00 AM

[quote=dgack;257302]I'll take the Saints for $1000, Alex. Not only is it a legit pick, it's the feel-good pick and prevents me from having to agree with Dallas being the top NFC club at the moment.[/quote]

Last six games:

Bears 4-2
Saints 3-3
Seahawks 4-2
Cowboys [B][I]5-1[/I][/B]

hail_2_da_skins 12-08-2006 10:12 AM

Screw the Cowboys! I'm rooting for everybody and anybody to beat them. I'll be sick if I have to watch them in the Superbowl and have to hear all the crap about how they are America's Team and the greatest professional football franchise ever. Seeing the silver and blue star makes me want to puke. Go New Orleans, kick their collective butts.

gibbs4life 12-08-2006 10:57 AM

[quote=steveo395;257157]This is the one thread that should never be on a Redskins website. You should be ashamed of yourself 12thMan.[/quote]

i guessed he figured we were going to discuss the city of dallas not the team ,lol.

tuna fish with romo dressing.. like i said i,ve seen a few cowboys but i don,t know any of them either. :postcop:

12thMan 12-08-2006 11:00 AM

Man, this thread is really bringing out the true Redskins in us.

It's funny we disagree on many things here, but we all agree to hate Dallas!

dgack 12-08-2006 11:47 AM

[quote=Southpaw;257353]Last six games:

Bears 4-2
Saints 3-3
Seahawks 4-2
Cowboys [B][I]5-1[/I][/B][/quote]

That's all fine and good, but once you start looking at specific splits like "last three games", I'll have to go and point out the number of wins against teams with winning records (a.k.a "quality wins"). And in that respect, Dallas is only 1-1 against, while N'Awlins is 0-2.

Guess which NFC teams share the most wins against teams with winning records?

-------------
[COLOR=white]Impossibly: Washington, Carolina, and Chicago each have 2 wins against teams with winning records.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]-------------[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Highlight the text above for the answer.[/COLOR]

Besides, the point with picking the Saints is because they're the sentimental favorite, and the football gods owe them.