Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64851)

CRedskinsRule 07-15-2021 08:43 PM

What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

I think this year's team is the strongest across all the position groups, but training camp is still time for some players to rise and shine while others go fall down towards the cutting floor.

What positions intrigue you the most?

Where do you see room for a depth rookie to take a roster spot?

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/three-washington-training-camp-position-battles-to-watch-who-will-back-up-ryan-fitzpatrick/[/url]

Safety Battle: [YT]Zbdb5mTQ_T0[/YT]

Offensive Battles: [YT]dkk10B0K_54[/YT]

Chico23231 07-16-2021 05:42 PM

Re: What Training Camp battles intrigue you the most?

Many.

First Oline…LG and RT. Flowers and Cosmi have the edge but Schweitzer & Charles could battle at LG as well as Lucas at RT.

At LB, Bostic vs the Rook at middle. Hudson at Weakside is a surprise early call from me if Rook win the Mike spot.

Second TE should be interesting.

FS could get interesting with a log jam at SS…

The last spot at WR, backup Defensive end

sdskinsfan2001 07-16-2021 06:03 PM

If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.

WCommandersfan99 07-17-2021 06:46 AM

[quote=sdskinsfan2001;1285985]If St. Juste can start at 1 of the outside CB spots in nickel defense, that's gonna be huge for the team's flexibility.

Hopefully 1 of the 7th round picks can stick as the 4th DE.[/quote]That would be awesome. I get giddy thinking about a 6'3" stud corner. A huge weapon. Him and Jackson could be bigtime.

SunnySide 07-19-2021 12:29 PM

[B]RT - Lucas v Cosmi[/B]

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

[B]LG - Flowers v Schweitzer[/B]

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable. I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

[B]Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel [/B]

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.

WCommandersfan99 07-19-2021 12:57 PM

I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as this team knows it should be improved and contend.

MissouriSkin 07-19-2021 01:04 PM

I think they are all interesting. It’s nice to finally have a ton of competition across the board.

EdmundDorf 07-19-2021 01:09 PM

If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT

SunnySide 07-19-2021 01:40 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1286026]If Bostic is competing for a starting role in the nickel defence then things aren't going as well as planned..... Don't forget about Saddiq Charles, they had him starting at LG last year as a rookie ahead of Schweitzer, can also serve as the primary backup at LT[/quote]

Charles -- I dont know what to think w Charles, we just have not seen enough. Last year Wes was the starting RG week 3 after Scherff got injured so he was the starting RG when Charles started LG. Wes started 13 games last year. I think the FO trusts him, he played above his payday last year imo.

I think RR has Charles > Martin. Important TC for Martin.

Bostic -- I think the coaches value him more than the fans. I think hes a more head down, hit the hole hard type backer that Holcomb isnt. Holcomb and Bostic just have different skill sets and what they bring.

Ideally Holcomb and Bostic wouldnt be starters on our D.

Redskins247 07-20-2021 09:15 AM

[quote=The Skinsinator;1286024]I agree about the oline having some good competition. Love how Rivera intends to have maximum competition for all units/spots.

I think running back could have some good battles after Gibson. Hoping Patterson gets a real chance. Also we'll see what we have in Barber, Mckissic, and Miller.

The whole team just needs to bring out the best in one another. Expecting a pretty intense camp as [B]this team knows it should be improved and contend[/B].[/quote]

This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.

MissouriSkin 07-20-2021 10:02 AM

[quote=Redskins247;1286050]This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.[/quote]

He just said what he’s expected to say. I mean, he’s not gonna say “well I hope these guys don’t suck”. I didn’t see any overconfidence at all in what he said.

WCommandersfan99 07-20-2021 10:28 AM

[quote=Redskins247;1286050]This is one thing that could be a problem as history has shown us. Ryan Fitzpatrick already out there talking about how good this offense IS...when it hasn't done anything yet. Yes this defense was good last year, but still has a ways to go to be great...so I hope they come in hungry and in "prove it" mode instead of, yeah we're already great...like so many of the past teams.[/quote]I don't think Rivera will allow them to get overconfident. A blind man, however, can see that the talent level has increased. Rivera has not been reluctant to cut players when necessary. Every player should be highly motivated at camp.

SunnySide 07-20-2021 04:00 PM

Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.

WCommandersfan99 07-20-2021 05:26 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1286062]Im very intrigued/excited to see the WR corps. Easily the best unit weve had since 2016 (Jackson, garcon, Reed, Doctson, Grant).

McLaurin and Samuels are elite.

Rookie Dyami Brown is supposed to have top end speed and D Jackson like ability to track the deep balls.

Adam Humphries as a move the sticks, work underneath, get open guy.

Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG hopefully can contribute.

Gonna be a fun season.[/quote]I'm also excited about wr. Feel like a lot of the guys are flying under the radar after McLaurin and Samuels. This should be a VERY competitive unit. Going to be tough for Harmon and AGG to make the team, but I wouldn't count them out yet.

FrenchSkin 07-20-2021 07:46 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1286023][B]RT - Lucas v Cosmi[/B]

Im not leaving out the possibility Lucas wins the LT spot but I dont think Leno has played RT like Lucas has, so Im assuming Leno gets LT if they play equal to each other.

[B]LG - Flowers v Schweitzer[/B]

Flowers is getting paid starter money but Phins didnt blink in making him expendable.[B] I think Schweitzer had a better year last year but didnt watch too many Phins games.[/B]

Injuries throughout season, Id expect Leno/Lucas/Cosmi/Flowers/Schweitzer to all have starts and snaps.

[B]Holcomb v Bostic in Nickel [/B]

I imagine Jamin Davis will be a lock by like week 3 in nickel and all packages, [B]battle to see who plays beside him in our most used defensive package.[/B][/quote]

I watched a couple of Dolphins games in All 22, I thought Flowers played very well, I think he was cut for cap purposes, I think we are getting back a very good LG. Yes Schweitzer was a very nice surprise last year, but I think Flowers wins the job.

Good call about LB competition in nickel packages. I was high on Bostic 2 years ago but last year he was a mess, I was hoping we sign somebody else...

FrenchSkin 07-20-2021 08:02 PM

First: thank you CRed for this thread ! After an offseason filled with non-football talks, good to be back to ball talk !

[B][U]Low key battle, WR:[/U][/B] who does/doesn't make out of [I]Harmon, Wright, AGG and Sims Jr [/I]?
Obviously, excited to see what [I]Dyami Brown and Humphries[/I] have for us, and how we gonna use [I]Curtis[/I].

[B][U]OL battle:[/U][/B] it'll be interesting for sure, we have solid depth IMO, I think the only legit uncertainty is [I]can Cosmi beat Leno for the LT[/I] starting job. Flowers, Roullier, Scherff and Lucas are pretty much locks in my book.

[B][U]Edge rushers:[/U][/B] We know who and how good our starters are... But what is our depth worth ? How much can we rotate the [I]rookies [/I]in ?

[B][U]Nickel CB:[/U][/B] who gets the most snaps early on ? Can [I]St Juste or Moreland[/I] step it up to play outside and allow [I]Fuller to play Nickel[/I] where he seems to excel ?

[B][U]Safeties:[/U][/B] So, how are we actually going to use [I]Collins[/I] ? I didn't think Landon played very well for us so far, but is [I]Reaves[/I] a legit starting NFL safety or were we just happy he played better than expected last year ?

EDIT: completely forgot about Bobby McCain in my post, he's listed as a CB on WFT's website. Our DB squad is quite intriguing when it comes to who's gonna do what.

CRedskinsRule 07-21-2021 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1286067]First: thank you CRed for this thread ! After an offseason filled with non-football talks, good to be back to ball talk !

[B][U]Low key battle, WR:[/U][/B] who does/doesn't make out of [I]Harmon, Wright, AGG and Sims Jr [/I]?

Obviously, excited to see what [I]Dyami Brown and Humphries[/I] have for us, and how we gonna use [I]Curtis[/I].

[B][U]OL battle:[/U][/B] it'll be interesting for sure, we have solid depth IMO, I think the only legit uncertainty is [I]can Cosmi beat Leno for the LT[/I] starting job. Flowers, Roullier, Scherff and Lucas are pretty much locks in my book.

[B][U]Edge rushers:[/U][/B] We know who and how good our starters are... But what is our depth worth ? How much can we rotate the [I]rookies [/I]in ?

[B][U]Nickel CB:[/U][/B] who gets the most snaps early on ? Can [I]St Juste or Moreland[/I] step it up to play outside and allow [I]Fuller to play Nickel[/I] where he seems to excel ?

[B][U]Safeties:[/U][/B] So, how are we actually going to use [I]Collins[/I] ? I didn't think Landon played very well for us so far, but is [I]Reaves[/I] a legit starting NFL safety or were we just happy he played better than expected last year ?

EDIT: completely forgot about Bobby McCain in my post, he's listed as a CB on WFT's website. Our DB squad is quite intriguing when it comes to who's gonna do what.[/QUOTE]Good breakdowns. This team has such potential. Every position has a starter plus good depth in my opinion. There may be a weak link somewhere, but I don't think it is in the starting 22.

I don't buy the whole QB issue at all. Fitzpatrick is miles above what we had last year and we have a defense and WRs that can bail him out if needed. Our defense beat SF with 0 qb play last year! I forget the stats but I think the defense had more than 10 second half shutouts last year. I am hoping for at least 2 home shutouts, we haven't had that in forever. If the defense plays like that and Fitz does even close to his Miami performances we win the division going away.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Chico23231 07-21-2021 03:29 PM

Going into camp, I’m gonna be locked on 2 guys getting post draft hype: CB St. Juste and WR Brown.

The 2 guys drafted in front of them are gonna come along at a different pace and will be impact player no doubt…but there is a something about these 3rd round picks that is special.

Listening to Keim interview and feedback from coaches, watch out if these two pick up playing time with the talent in front of them. It’s different if you can earn some starter reps or package reps with Terry Mac, Samuels, Humpy in front of you…or Fuller and Jackson. That’s different than beating out a Bostic or Lucas…

FrenchSkin 07-21-2021 07:20 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1286114]Good breakdowns. This team has such potential. Every position has a starter plus good depth in my opinion. [B]There may be a weak link somewhere, but I don't think it is in the starting 22. [/B]

I don't buy the whole QB issue at all. Fitzpatrick is miles above what we had last year and we have a defense and WRs that can bail him out if needed. Our defense beat SF with 0 qb play last year! I forget the stats but I think the defense had more than 10 second half shutouts last year. I am hoping for at least 2 home shutouts, we haven't had that in forever. If the defense plays like that and Fitz does even close to his Miami performances we win the division going away.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/quote]

The only starting weak link for me is Bostic... but with our DB squad and the amount of Nickel we'll play, how much of a starter will he be ?
Still, we were awful against the run at times, so I'd have liked to feel 100% confortable about our 4-3 LBs.

CRedskinsRule 07-21-2021 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1286125]The only starting weak link for me is Bostic... but with our DB squad and the amount of Nickel we'll play, how much of a starter will he be ?

Still, we were awful against the run at times, so I'd have liked to feel 100% confortable about our 4-3 LBs.[/QUOTE]I put faith in Rivera and JDR in terms of the rookie. He looks like exactly what the middle of the defense needed. That said if he busts then yeah our LBs become the weak link.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 07-21-2021 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=CRedskinsRule;1286126]I put faith in Rivera and JDR in terms of the rookie. He looks like exactly what the middle of the defense needed. That said if he busts then yeah our LBs become the weak link.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]I have faith in them too, and hope in Jarmin Davis... But with Holcomb that makes 2 competent LB. I'd have loved 3...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 07-22-2021 01:17 AM

I'm aware there has to be a reason the Dolphins basically gave us Ereck Flowers, but I think the main one is cap space.
Because every single time I put on All 22 version of Miami games, all I see from #75 is very, [I]very[/I] solid play !

Some random good plays against the Chargers, week 10.

3 very good pass pro, the first again Linval Joseph:

[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/PbzuzLJ4B8MWAkvGxJ/giphy.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]https://media2.giphy.com/media/1yRemTscsjIksZFQeq/giphy.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]https://media3.giphy.com/media/p6nVLVlnRtDJrI3zpY/giphy.gif[/IMG]

And 2 good examples of Flowers being efficient and pro active in the run game, double team then second level blocks:

[IMG]https://media3.giphy.com/media/D6fc9AJkO6Y9rSFc0t/giphy.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]https://media3.giphy.com/media/Dp5bPkk43GiEVyJ9XG/giphy.gif[/IMG]

WCommandersfan99 07-22-2021 06:48 AM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1286127]I have faith in them too, and hope in Jarmin Davis... But with Holcomb that makes 2 competent LB. I'd have loved 3...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/quote]Excited to see what Davis can bring to the table. All the tools are there, especially with his size and speed. I could see this guy having a huge NFL career with WFT especially with Rivera/Del Rio coaching him.

CRedskinsRule 07-25-2021 04:32 PM

[url]https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/7/25/22592874/10-storylines-to-watch-as-washington-begins-training-camp-on-tuesday[/url]

FrenchSkin 07-25-2021 07:22 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1286233][url]https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/7/25/22592874/10-storylines-to-watch-as-washington-begins-training-camp-on-tuesday[/url][/quote]

Solid read.

I like that he has confidence Davis can be our Mike, keep Bostic off the field.
A lot of people raved about the rookie's work ethic, military family and all, maybe he can indeed be ready to call signals in September ?

Chico23231 07-25-2021 07:36 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1286233][url]https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/7/25/22592874/10-storylines-to-watch-as-washington-begins-training-camp-on-tuesday[/url][/quote]

Great article.

FrenchSkin 07-26-2021 11:53 PM

Just a reminder [URL="https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-al-galdi-podcast/id1553345193"]Al Galdi's podcast[/URL] is a really good listen these days. He's doing a position by position "questions for Training Camp" count down.

Last episode (108) about QB. Will be interesting to see how much of a QB competition we really have. It's definitely Fitz job to have/lose, but will Heinicke have any 1st teams rep ? At least for competition/motivation purposes, does he get a few ?
Crazy how Allen was completely eclipsed of the mix.

Monkeydad 07-27-2021 10:15 AM

We have incredible depth at so many positions, it's hard to cut or bench some of these guys.

The article makes a great point that if we out Jarett Patterson or Sammis Reyes on PS, we'll likely lose them. We almost have to put them on the 53. I'd be inclined to let the ancient Lamar Miller go to keep Patterson. Reyes should probably be the #3 TE behind Logan and the rookie.

CB and safety is also another logjam.

CB: Jackson III, Fuller, St. Juste, Moreland, McCain, Stroman
Safeties: Curl, Collins, McCain, Everrett, Reaves, Forrest

skinsfaninok 07-28-2021 11:30 AM

“I always hated playing him because he doesn’t give a crap,” an exec said. “He is 39 years old, has made plenty of money, he’s just out there slinging it around. Teams that played Miami last year were happy as all get-out when they put Tua in there. And now they have this amazing defense in Washington.”

jamf 07-28-2021 01:05 PM

Lord send us a punt returner!

Chico23231 07-28-2021 01:09 PM

[quote=jamf;1286391]Lord send us a punt returner![/quote]

Everytime Sims Jr lined up to take one it became the most exciting play in the NFL. His catch-and-drop move is a classic

SunnySide 07-28-2021 02:18 PM

are we going to make a TC thread?

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
Rookie 1st rounder Jamin Davis at middle linebacker with Washington starting defense. Same as we saw in minicamp.

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
Landon Collins coming back in 9 months from a torn Achilles is a really impressive feat. We should recognize that

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
With Cornelius Lucas on Covid list looks like rookie Sam Cosmi gets first crack at starting right tackle spot. That was expected anyway but now it’s accelerated. Also Wes Schweitzer at left guard and Leno at left tackle. Roullier and Scherff where you’d expect them

jamf 07-28-2021 02:32 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1286392]Everytime Sims Jr lined up to take one it became the most exciting play in the NFL. His catch-and-drop move is a classic[/quote]

I'm going to start wearing adult diapers if he is returner again.

sdskinsfan2001 07-28-2021 02:47 PM

[quote=jamf;1286399]I'm going to start wearing adult diapers if he is returner again.[/quote]

I think Humphries or Milne will be returning the punts. I don't see Sims Jr. making the team. Although now I hope he does so you have to wear diapers lol.

FrenchSkin 07-28-2021 07:46 PM

[quote=SunnySide;1286397]are we going to make a TC thread?

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
[B]Rookie 1st rounder Jamin Davis at middle linebacker with Washington starting defense. Same as we saw in minicamp.
[/B]
JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
Landon Collins coming back in 9 months from a torn Achilles is a really impressive feat. We should recognize that

JP Finlay
@JPFinlayNBCS
·
3h
With Cornelius Lucas on Covid list looks like rookie Sam Cosmi gets first crack at starting right tackle spot. That was expected anyway but now it’s accelerated. Also Wes Schweitzer at left guard and Leno at left tackle. Roullier and Scherff where you’d expect them[/quote]

Thanks for the post.

Absolutely LOVE to read that one. (I know, it's July, but wouldn't they be inclined to let the vet start at the beginning of TC and see if the rook can beat him?)

Monkeydad 07-29-2021 10:46 AM

[quote=jamf;1286399]I'm going to start wearing adult diapers if he is returner again.[/quote]

Even when he took one to the house, he started the return by fumbling it!

Chico23231 08-02-2021 10:32 AM

It’s early but have heard per mostly Keim…

The safety position has been good. Collins at SS and Curl FS has been the top duo with McCain also getting time at FS and has looked decent. Collins has looked solid coming off injury.

So far the WR has been really competitive with the down the chart guys standing out like Both Sims brothers, Harmon and AGG coming out strong.

Have heard the rookies St Juste and Cosmi have looked like rooks. Hype came down to earth…buts early folks.

Keim has mentioned this too…Terry McLaurin has been impressive, maybe the most impressive guy in camp. He has been match up against the new FA CB Will Jax and has gotten the better of him so far.

Another sidenote from Keim…Rookie Patterson RB has looked decent, getting a lot of reps. He will get a strong shot to make the roster.

SunnySide 08-02-2021 11:30 AM

Interested to see if AGG can contribute.

6'4", 4th rounder.

Back end of the WR depth chart might be our most competitive battle. ST deciding who stays.

GridIron26 08-02-2021 11:56 AM

[quote=SunnySide;1286649]Interested to see if AGG can contribute.

6'4", 4th rounder.

Back end of the WR depth chart might be our most competitive battle. ST deciding who stays.[/quote]

I think there's a good chance he will be on practice squad

SunnySide 08-02-2021 12:06 PM

[quote=GridIron26;1286652]I think there's a good chance he will be on practice squad[/quote]

The NFL will carry over a series of 2020 roster rules designed to maintain adequate numbers if players are sidelined by positive COVID-19 tests.

The decision had been long anticipated but was confirmed during a media briefing Friday by Dawn Aponte, the NFL's chief football administrative officer.

The rules include:

Expansion of practice squads to 16 players, including up to six who have more than two accrued seasons.

The ability to protect up to four practice squad players per week from being signed by other teams.

Elevation of up to two practice squad players to the active roster, without removing any current players, before 4 p.m. ET the day before a game.

Elevation of an additional practice squad player within 90 minutes before kickoff in the event of a late COVID-19 positive test result.

Players placed on injured reserve can return after three weeks, rather than six as in normal seasons.

Removal of the limit for how many players can be activated from injured reserve.

[url]https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31869693/nfl-carry-flexible-roster-rules-2021[/url]

good call on the PS, figured we could use a PS refresher .. nice that you can protect players now (now that we have a competitive deep roster)