Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   2013 College Basketball (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=51539)

HailGreen28 03-16-2013 10:10 AM

Re: 2013 College Basketball

Interesting tournament times. Duke done in one, in Greensboro. Maryland, Miami, NCState, UNC-CH still in. And the last "Big East" tournament as we know it, is 3/4 future ACC teams.

The "Duke fans with the arms extended" pics are awesome by the way. C'mon, you wouldn't say your fans were great if they cheered like that? We State fans are representing well, ourselves, with our chants and clapping.

Chico23231 03-17-2013 03:40 PM

Amazing run by Miami and Coach Larranaga. Nothing but class

CultBrennan59 03-17-2013 09:32 PM

[quote=Chico23231;999205]Amazing run by Miami and Coach Larranaga. Nothing but class[/quote]

I used to attended George Mason basketball games and considered myself a fan when I was living in Fairfax. I--and I'm pretty sure everyone else that was a mason fan--are very happy that he's doing great down in Miami and have nothing but respect for Coach L. He is a classy guy and deserves to be national coach of the year.

From what I had gathered from Mason alum, is that Mason snubbed Larranaga saying that they could afford to pay him $1 mill/year, especially after VCU, with Shaka Smart just signed Shaka to a $1.2mill/year deal and VCU is financially and size wise a little bit of a smaller school than mason. Mason basically lied and snubbed Larranaga, and the president who was there when Larranaga was there, retired, making Jim's decision that much easier to say ''Its been fun, I'm out''

I'm picking Miami to make a run to the final four, but they look like a typical boom or bust team in the Tourney so it'll be interesting this year.

Chico23231 03-17-2013 10:13 PM

There is always politics with everything, but Im glad Larranaga left.

Once again he made an unlikely run with this team all year. Miami wasnt picked to do sh*t in the ACC.

Lets hope it continues in the big tourney.

HailGreen28 03-17-2013 11:09 PM

Did Miami get screwed by the NCAA tournament team? I believe Louisville getting a better seed, don't know how strong Gonzaga, KU, IND really are, but [U]this is the first year I can recall the ACC regular season AND tournament champion not getting a #1 seed in some region.[/U]

Can't help but feel if Duke or Chapel Hill was in Miami's shoes, they'd be a #1 seed somewhere.

NC_Skins 04-02-2013 10:25 PM

[IMG]http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/28153_10151316816682273_999320250_n.jpg[/IMG]

Big props to Jeff Lebo and the Pirates for pulling out the CIT championship win. Historic season this year for us.

CultBrennan59 04-02-2013 10:32 PM

I'm with you monkeydad I hate duke with a passion. So happy they lost.

And ECU winning the CIT, congrats but no one cares since no one knew they were in it. Hell people probably didn't know that there was a CIT tourney.

Chico23231 04-03-2013 08:47 AM

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/sport/rutgers-video-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_c2]Video shows Rutgers coach shoving, hitting and berating players - CNN.com[/url]

I cant believe this went on...this is insane and the piece of sh*t should be charged with assault. He should be fired today and never should get a chance to work in College sports or with kids again. disgusting

NC_Skins 04-03-2013 08:55 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1001701][url=http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/sport/rutgers-video-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_c2]Video shows Rutgers coach shoving, hitting and berating players - CNN.com[/url]

I cant believe this went on...this is insane and the piece of sh*t should be charged with assault. He should be fired today and never should get a chance to work in College sports or with kids again. disgusting[/quote]

Not only should he be fired, but their AD Tim Pernetti should be fired along with him. People went to him about what was going on and one of them was fired for doing so. He currently has a lawsuit against the school.

Chico23231 04-03-2013 10:31 AM

[url=http://tracking.si.com/2013/04/03/mike-rice-rutgers-fired-abuse-players/?eref=sihp]Rutgers coach Mike Rice*fired | SI Tracking Blog – Tracking MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL, and NCAA On Twitter[/url]

Agree with Pernetti also needing to be fired. He said he chose to try to "rehabilitate" Rice. Give me an effing break.

CultBrennan59 04-03-2013 11:04 AM

Regarding mike rice, what was the difference in terms of coaching style between him and Bob Knight? Bob Knight was known for similar acts. He won more. Is there a line where you can say BK did it but he won so its ok, MR did it, he doesn't win so its not ok?

Chico23231 04-03-2013 11:07 AM

[quote=CultBrennan59;1001735]Regarding mike rice, what was the difference in terms of coaching style between him and Bob Knight? Bob Knight was known for similar acts. He won more. Is there a line where you can say BK did it but he won so its ok, MR did it, he doesn't win so its not ok?[/quote]

Win or loss, you cannot assault kids, both were/are in the wrong.

NC_Skins 04-03-2013 12:49 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;1001735]Regarding mike rice, what was the difference in terms of coaching style between him and Bob Knight? Bob Knight was known for similar acts. He won more. Is there a line where you can say BK did it but he won so its ok, MR did it, he doesn't win so its not ok?[/quote]

Your point is moot since Knight was fired.

Even then, they never should have allowed to go on as long as they did. It goes to my saying that it isn't just Penn State covering up bad behavior in favor of money.

DynamiteRave 04-03-2013 02:10 PM

Knight had a hell of a temper and a mouth like a sailor but I do not recall of hearing him ever put his hands on a player. Scream all you want, but as soon as you get violent, you're treading that assault line.

When I played team sports, hell yeah coaches got in my face but overall my coaches were a motivating, positive experience and I admire my coaches for that.

CultBrennan59 04-03-2013 02:53 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1001776]Knight had a hell of a temper and a mouth like a sailor but I do not recall of hearing him ever put his hands on a player. Scream all you want, but as soon as you get violent, you're treading that assault line.

When I played team sports, hell yeah coaches got in my face but overall my coaches were a motivating, positive experience and I admire my coaches for that.[/quote]

He choked a player (whom eventually got him fired from IU in 2000) he threw a chair at an official, and he smacked a player in a game as a wake up call/pay attention.

Yes he got fired for his choking a player but he was hired by Texas tech and when we talk about BK it's about him as a winning coach and not him as a choker/assaulter.