Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   FCC approves long-proposed XM, Sirius merger (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24123)

MTK 07-27-2008 08:04 PM

FCC approves long-proposed XM, Sirius merger

It's about time

[URL="http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/07/21/daily73.html"]FCC approves long-proposed XM, Sirius merger - Washington Business Journal:[/URL]

Daseal 07-27-2008 09:13 PM

Re: FCC approves long-proposed XM, Sirius merger

Hurray -- let's just hope they dont start to price gouge for things like NFL radio, etc.

jbcjr14 07-27-2008 10:15 PM

Problem is that if you are a current subscriber, don't you have to buy a new radio to receive both signals?? I currently subscribe to Sirius for Stern and NFL Radio and won't be buying a new radio if thats the case.

Skins fan 44 07-27-2008 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal;459583]Hurray -- let's just hope they dont start to price gouge for things like NFL radio, etc.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for giving them a good idea. lol

MTK 07-27-2008 10:33 PM

[quote=jbcjr14;459594]Problem is that if you are a current subscriber, don't you have to buy a new radio to receive both signals?? I currently subscribe to Sirius for Stern and NFL Radio and won't be buying a new radio if thats the case.[/quote]

Your current equipment will work just fine.

[url=http://www.siriusmerger.com/]SIRIUSMerger.com | XM + SIRIUS Satellite Radio = More Choices, Better Pricing, Same Radios[/url]

saden1 07-28-2008 12:16 AM

ugh, the FCC approves everything these days. Oh how I would love to choke that weasel Kevin Martin.

dmek25 07-28-2008 06:37 AM

can someone please explain to me how this is not a monopoly?

jdlea 07-28-2008 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=dmek25;459612]can someone please explain to me how this is not a monopoly?[/QUOTE]

Because they can price themselves out of the market. It wasn't just 2 satellite radio companies competing, they have to compete with AM/FM, also. People can always just go back to AM/FM if the price gets too steep.

mredskins 07-28-2008 08:28 AM

I cancealed my Sirus radio this weekend. Just becuse my commute now is less then a mile by the time it has found the signal I am at my desk.

BDBohnzie 07-28-2008 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=jdlea;459621]Because they can price themselves out of the market. It wasn't just 2 satellite radio companies competing, they have to compete with AM/FM, also. People can always just go back to AM/FM if the price gets too steep.[/QUOTE]
Not only AM/FM, but HD Radio, iPod/MP3, CDs, DVDs, etc. There is plenty of competition out there to "defeat" satellite radio. One of the definite benefits of the merger is a-la-carte pricing, being able to pay for only those stations that you want.

However, I'm actually getting ready to cancel my Sirius subscription because with a 2nd child due in January, we need all the additional income we can hold onto.

mredskins 07-28-2008 11:42 AM

BDB I hear you! That was one of my reasonings as well. Recently we did a scrub of our monthly bills now that we have our first child. Netflix, Sirus, Starz, Shotime, and a home phone all took a beating. Put another $175 a month in our pockets.

It is amazing how much crap you pay for that you don't use.

BDBohnzie 07-28-2008 01:57 PM

Yeah, my wife and I just did that as well, and it sounds like we're definitely in the same boat. Sirius, netflix, vonage, gold's gym, and cable are taking hits on our household, with more cuts as necessary.

724Skinsfan 07-28-2008 02:01 PM

Didn't you just have a kid? Wait till you have 2 in daycare at the same time. "Sirius"ly puts a crimp in the cash flow.

BDBohnzie 07-28-2008 02:03 PM

Yep, our daughter will be 1 on September 27th, and she'll be around 15 months old when #2 is born.

Yeah, if Grandma can't "retire" to watch her grandbabies, I'm going to have to do some freelance web work and take on a 2nd job to afford day care.

mredskins 07-28-2008 02:05 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;459697]Didn't you just have a kid? Wait till you have 2 in daycare at the same time. "Sirius"ly puts a crimp in the cash flow.[/quote]

You need an Au-Pair man! Seriously check it out. It works out to about $300 a week and the girl lives with you.

[url=http://www.aupairusa.org/?gclid=CKXrldSV45QCFQNfFQodKTStQg]Au Pair USA - An Au Pair Agency for Au Pair Host Families and Au Pairs[/url]

IF we ahve a second kid I am going this route.

724Skinsfan 07-28-2008 02:19 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie;459698]Yep, our daughter will be 1 on September 27th, and she'll be around 15 months old when #2 is born.

Yeah, if Grandma can't "retire" to watch her grandbabies, I'm going to have to do some freelance web work and take on a 2nd job to afford day care.[/quote]

That would be nice. Hmm...{shrugs}.. Well "Congrats!" anyway if I hadn't already said so!

724Skinsfan 07-28-2008 02:21 PM

[quote=mredskins;459699]You need an Au-Pair man! Seriously check it out. It works out to about $300 a week and the girl lives with you.

[URL="http://www.aupairusa.org/?gclid=CKXrldSV45QCFQNfFQodKTStQg"]Au Pair USA - An Au Pair Agency for Au Pair Host Families and Au Pairs[/URL]

IF we ahve a second kid I am going this route.[/quote]

I'm too weak in the flesh to have some foreign chick at my house full time. :)

GhettoDogAllStars 07-28-2008 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=724Skinsfan;459703]I'm too weak in the flesh to have some foreign chick at my house full time. :)[/QUOTE]

LOL. That's what I was thinking. 18 to 26 years old? Hmmm...

mredskins 07-28-2008 02:58 PM

Trust me none of them are hot. I have seen a bunch that my friends have had over the years. I think one may have been hot.

Valleyranchgirl 07-28-2008 07:12 PM

Crap I hope I still get my free satellite radio. I use to work for XM and have been getting free XM for two years. LOL I love it just cant bare another monthly bill. I quit in May 07 and since continued to enjoy free radio.

GhettoDogAllStars 07-28-2008 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Valleyranchgirl;459780]Crap I hope I still get my free satellite radio. I use to work for XM and have been getting free XM for two years. LOL I love it just cant bare another monthly bill. I quit in May 07 and since continued to enjoy free radio.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I had a friend who worked at Radio Shack selling cell phones. He was on some sort of special employee plan, where he got thousands of minutes per month for cheap. When he quit, his plan wasn't cancelled, and he continued to get cheap cell service for a few years. :biggthump