Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jonathan Allen Signs - Training Camp begins Tomorrow (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64853)

CRedskinsRule 07-26-2021 03:44 PM

Jonathan Allen Signs - Training Camp begins Tomorrow

Jonathan Allen signed a 4 year extension! 30 Mil guaranteed. Link to follow.

This is good news.

Ruhskins 07-26-2021 03:45 PM

Re: Jonathan Allen Signs - Training Camp begins Tomorrow

Excellent news!

Here's a tweet from his agent:

[url]https://twitter.com/TeamIFA/status/1419740131536293893[/url]

Chico23231 07-26-2021 03:46 PM

Phenomenal resign. Glad we bring him back than Schreff

skinsfan69 07-26-2021 03:51 PM

To me this is an overpay, but that is what it was going to take to re-sign him.

What does this mean for Payne?

sdskinsfan2001 07-26-2021 03:54 PM

Hell yeah!!!

He is our defensive anchor. Love to see it.

MissouriSkin 07-26-2021 03:56 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1286261]To me this is an overpay, but that is what it was going to take to re-sign him.

What does this mean for Payne?[/quote]

99% of resigning as or free agent signings are overpays. Just the nature of the business.

CRedskinsRule 07-26-2021 04:02 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;1286261]To me this is an overpay, but that is what it was going to take to re-sign him.

What does this mean for Payne?[/QUOTE]I think keeping a guy on his 1st contract is worth a slight overpay. Bringing in free agents by overpaying is different.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Schneed10 07-26-2021 04:32 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1286261]To me this is an overpay, but that is what it was going to take to re-sign him.

What does this mean for Payne?[/quote]

I'm not sure it's an 'overpay'. By extending, the $30M signing bonus prorates over five years, not four. So we carry $6M of that on our cap here in 2021.

That leaves the average annual cap hit of the 2022 - 2026 portion of the contract at $16.5M. Unclear how much of that is front loaded or backloaded. I don't see it as out of touch with market value - remember the cap is going to go up next season by a lot.

This has a lot to do with reinforcing the culture. If you want to talk culture you can't let a guy like Jon Allen get to the franchise tag phase. Because he's a guy that does absolutely everything right. The culture talk is empty if you don't extend Allen.

Scherff does everything right too but he flat out doesn't want to be here. We offered top of the market guard money and he said no, not much more you can do.

Schneed10 07-26-2021 04:34 PM

[url]https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-washington-football-team-jonathan-allen-nfl-best-interior-pass-rushers[/url]

Chico23231 07-26-2021 05:11 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1286267][url]https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-washington-football-team-jonathan-allen-nfl-best-interior-pass-rushers[/url][/quote]

This is good stuff. The leadership and a guy who just does the dirty work while playing within the system. Really lucky when he fell to us and this is a great win for culture and leadership in the building.

Also, hats off to the front office to get this done now especially after a lil disappointment in not being able to keep Schreff long term. This is a win for those guys too.

Chief X_Phackter 07-26-2021 06:03 PM

This was a must in my opinion. Nice to see. Hope this is the beginning of a trend.

FrenchSkin 07-26-2021 07:13 PM

Great news !
And this is absolutely NOT an overpay !
As it stands, per otc, there are 4 interior Dlinemen with avg/y of more than 18M. And seven with 17M or more.

So Allen will be out of the top 10 paid interior DL in a couple of years...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

GridIron26 07-26-2021 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=CRedskinsRule;1286264]I think keeping a guy on his 1st contract is worth a slight overpay. Bringing in free agents by overpaying is different.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]This.

mooby 07-26-2021 09:22 PM

Gotta pay your guys, especially your team leaders. Glad to get this done.

skinsfan69 07-26-2021 11:20 PM

[quote=MissouriSkin;1286263]99% of resigning as or free agent signings are overpays. Just the nature of the business.[/quote]

I 100% agree with that. I'm not saying it was a bad resign. Allen is a good to really good player that we had to keep.

skinsfan69 07-26-2021 11:28 PM

[quote=Schneed10;1286266]I'm not sure it's an 'overpay'. By extending, the $30M signing bonus prorates over five years, not four. So we carry $6M of that on our cap here in 2021.

That leaves the average annual cap hit of the 2022 - 2026 portion of the contract at $16.5M. Unclear how much of that is front loaded or backloaded. I don't see it as out of touch with market value - remember the cap is going to go up next season by a lot.

This has a lot to do with reinforcing the culture. If you want to talk culture you can't let a guy like Jon Allen get to the franchise tag phase. Because he's a guy that does absolutely everything right. The culture talk is empty if you don't extend Allen.

Scherff does everything right too but he flat out doesn't want to be here. We offered top of the market guard money and he said no, not much more you can do.[/quote]

I get that. I just don't view Allen as a 16 million dollar player. Not even close if you ask me. When Matt I is healthy I feel he is better and he makes like 7 million. Was it important to re-sign him? I'd say yes and sometimes you have to overpay and I think we did in this instance.

skinsfan69 07-26-2021 11:30 PM

I wish the NFL would put a rule in where you can go over the cap to re-sign your drafted players.

sdskinsfan2001 07-27-2021 02:21 AM

JA tweeted: Washington for life!

He has officially replaced Kerrigan as the undercover leader of the defense (not just because of that tweet). We absolutely had to re-sign him. He is foundational as a player and leader. He will set the standard for his fellow defensive players (at minimum). So glad we got this one right.

In general, he's also showing people, that Rivera and Co. are legit. No longer the same ole Skins/WFT.

We have at minimum, JA, Chase, Sweat, W. Jackson, St. Juste (for whatever reason, this is my dude, he's gonna be a baller), and Davis for the next 3 seasons. At minimum!! Doesn't include other guys we can re-sign or future draft picks. This defense is going to real sexy for the near future.

Side note - I loved it at the time and I love it even more now, and this pre-dates Rivera, trading back into the 1st to get Sweat was HUGE!! That extra year is big time.

EdmundDorf 07-27-2021 09:14 AM

More good news

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
·
8m
The Washington Football Team and TE Logan Thomas have agreed to a 3- year contract, source confirms (
@MikeGarafolo
1st). WFT locks up two key players in b2b days just as training camp starts.

skinsfaninok 07-27-2021 09:21 AM

Nice!

Monkeydad 07-27-2021 09:34 AM

Great moves this week locking up Allen and Thomas!

Chico23231 07-27-2021 09:55 AM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1286298]More good news

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
·
8m
The Washington Football Team and TE Logan Thomas have agreed to a 3- year contract, source confirms (
@MikeGarafolo
1st). WFT locks up two key players in b2b days just as training camp starts.[/quote]

Whoa!

skinsfan69 07-27-2021 10:13 AM

This time last year we were all bitching about TE..lol. Thomas quietly put up a real good year w/ Haskins and Smith for the most part.

Monkeydad 07-27-2021 10:17 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1286311]This time last year we were all bitching about TE..lol. Thomas quietly put up a real good year w/ Haskins and Smith for the most part.[/quote]

3rd in the NFL in receptions and 7th in yards, with 6 TDs! (team only had 16 TD receptions total)

He'll be a beast with Fitz!

Chief X_Phackter 07-27-2021 10:35 AM

This is great. Not only football guys making football decisions, but players actually wanting to be a part of what's going on here.

Exciting times...

EdmundDorf 07-27-2021 12:41 PM

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
16m
This deal is for $24 million over three years with $10.3 million in guarantees. Thomas is now the seventh-highest paid TE in the NFL.

Schneed10 07-27-2021 12:48 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1286283]I get that. I just don't view Allen as a 16 million dollar player. Not even close if you ask me. When Matt I is healthy I feel he is better and he makes like 7 million. Was it important to re-sign him? I'd say yes and sometimes you have to overpay and I think we did in this instance.[/quote]

I guess the context I'm missing from you is an understanding of which contracts around the NFL do you think are [I]not[/I] overpays? Especially for 1st round picks getting to their first contract.

Monkeydad 07-27-2021 01:05 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1286331]Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
16m
This deal is for $24 million over three years with $10.3 million in guarantees. Thomas is now the [B]seventh-highest paid TE in the NFL[/B].[/quote]

Sounds about right.

jamf 07-27-2021 01:18 PM

This is great news.
Hopefully we can keep this front 4 together for a while.

GridIron26 07-27-2021 01:30 PM

[quote=EdmundDorf;1286298]More good news

Ben Standig
@BenStandig
·
8m
@MikeGarafolo
1st). WFT locks up two key players in b2b days just as training camp starts.[/quote]

This is fantastic news! I absolutely love what Rivera and FO have been doing since last year.

skinsfaninok 07-27-2021 03:39 PM

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7U1_K3X0AAlPrC?format=jpg&name=large[/IMG]

LETS GO

CRedskinsRule 07-27-2021 04:06 PM

[quote=Monkeydad;1286334]Sounds about right.[/quote]
At the end of the 3 years the deal will be an absolute steal if his play just stays the same as last year. IF he gets better it will be almost criminally good.

FrenchSkin 07-27-2021 05:13 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1286347]At the end of the 3 years the deal will be an absolute steal if his play just stays the same as last year. IF he gets better it will be almost criminally good.[/quote]

Yeah another really smart move.
And again, keep in mind the cap should go significantly up, and some players were kinda holding up on new deals because of the covid impacted cap, so both Allen and Thomas could be out of the top 10 salaries at their positions real quick.

calia 07-27-2021 08:06 PM

Crud - Samuels on the PUP list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeydad 07-28-2021 09:28 AM

[quote=calia;1286356]Crud - Samuels on the PUP list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

[url]https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/football/nfl/player/1190/curtis-samuel[/url]

[B]Washington placed Curtis Samuel (groin) on the active/PUP list.[/B]
Samuel began sitting out practice in June after feeling a "twinge" in his groin. The length of his injury is a bit concerning but players can be brought off the active/PUP list anytime after receiving medical clearance so there's plenty of time for him to heal up. It's not time to panic yet but Samuel is missing valuable practice time with his new team. Luckily for Samuel, he's joining Ron Rivera, who coached him in Carolina, so the offense should be familiar to him. Samuel remains an intriguing WR4 but comes with slightly more injury risk now.

Chico23231 07-28-2021 10:01 AM

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E7Y0t7MWUAYvhTI?format=jpg&name=small[/IMG]

Holcomb mullet is fucking raging

mredskins 07-29-2021 08:03 AM

Chase Young with the sports bra:

[url]https://saintsreport.com/threads/help-me-out-here-is-chase-young-wearing-a-sports-bra-%F0%9F%98%B3%F0%9F%A4%A3.449729/[/url]

MTK 07-29-2021 08:52 AM

Allen and Thomas locked up, big thumbs up for both moves!

GridIron26 07-29-2021 08:58 AM

[quote=Monkeydad;1286372][url]https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/edge/football/nfl/player/1190/curtis-samuel[/url]

[B]Washington placed Curtis Samuel (groin) on the active/PUP list.[/B]
Samuel began sitting out practice in June after feeling a "twinge" in his groin. The length of his injury is a bit concerning but players can be brought off the active/PUP list anytime after receiving medical clearance so there's plenty of time for him to heal up. It's not time to panic yet but Samuel is missing valuable practice time with his new team. Luckily for Samuel, he's joining Ron Rivera, who coached him in Carolina, so the offense should be familiar to him. Samuel remains an intriguing WR4 but comes with slightly more injury risk now.[/quote]

At least this will give Brown opportunity to get more reps

Chico23231 07-29-2021 03:40 PM

[url]https://twitter.com/richfranklin89/status/1420765571705188352[/url]

Wow nice throw by Fitz to the Rook Brown