Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Favorite Type Offenses (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=65069)

sdskinsfan2001 10-06-2022 12:12 PM

Favorite Type Offenses

I wish we lined up directly under center for a large majority of the plays. Obviously, it makes some sense* (ugh, hate when I do that) on 3rd and longs and such to go shotgun. But I think running a shotgun offense a majority of the time is limiting. Especially with a QB like Wentz. Give me a power running game with lots of play-action, then use both to set-up your deep chances.

The 1991 team was elite, but man, that offense was sexy. Man, that 1991 team was amazing. And so was its offensive structure.

[YT]XyQCD6CFXoo[/YT]

skinsfaninok 10-06-2022 12:23 PM

Re: Favorite Type Offenses

The game has changed , elite speed on DL and Edge makes it harder to go under center. I wish we would see it more too but the reality is most teams are Shot Gun, especially HS and College

sdskinsfan2001 10-06-2022 12:27 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1324688]The game has changed , elite speed on DL and Edge makes it harder to go under center. I wish we would see it more too but the reality is most teams are Shot Gun, especially HS and College[/quote]

Not necessarily arguing, but how does speed off the edge make a difference? The QB ends up about the same depth either way, whether in shotgun or dropping back. And the guys still need time to run their routes. If you can't block the edge for 2 seconds to drop back, then you're destined for failure imo anyways.

BaltimoreSkins 10-06-2022 12:52 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1324688]The game has changed , elite speed on DL and Edge makes it harder to go under center. I wish we would see it more too but the reality is most teams are Shot Gun, especially HS and College[/quote]

I think we will start seeing a push back to the power running game. As DE, DT have sacrificed mass for speed it has become easier to move the line so to speak. Lighter LBs to cover better too. While it will still be more pass heavy, you are seeing teams maintain success with the a strong running game, all three other NFCE teams. Titans, GB and TB are starting to be more reliant on it. I think if you have a flawed QB or aging QB it is a way to sustain success.

SunnySide 10-06-2022 03:38 PM

I liked our offense past couple years --

1. quick passing plays to receivers running slants/crosses/digs .. easy one read stuff for the QB and give him 2 routes to choose from.

2. pre snap motion with fast dual guys like Samuel. Force the D to show if theyre in man, help the QB figure out where he should be looking pre snap

3. pre snap motion mimicing jet sweep .. maybe 1 out of 5 or so plays, run teh jet sweep motion and sometimes fake and just hand off to RB and sometimes give it Samuel on the sweep or double fake and do PA or QB keep that shit. Like 4 plus options on that jet sweep motion.

4. fast twitchy backs and getting the ball to them in the flats in space. Easy 3 yards and if they make a guy miss, play goes for more than expected

5. Carry 1 power RB for plays everyone and their mama knows we are going heavy and running up middle.

----

All these high pct, taking what the D gives you, plays set up the PA.

^^ I feel like this is what Scott wants to call.

Heinike can do the short stuff (servicable) but could never put together a complete offense bc there was no downfield threat. We were always eating appetizers, nibbling nibbling nibbling.

Wentz was supposed to bring that big arm and if we could get just enough out of him in terms of making quick decisions, quick throws, good accuracy on the short stuff ... we can then capitalize on PA and long bombs.

---------------

I know you asked about our ideal offense and not what the Skins are trying to do ... but I like the approach and the thought (same thought process as gruden/mcvay/shanny imo)

Just havent put it together on the field ... bc we dont have a top 15 fucking QB.

We always have the bottom 10 QBs ... and its just too much to overcome.

skinsfan69 10-06-2022 03:47 PM

So are you saying that the pass rushers from let's say the 80's and 90's were not as good as the ones now? I would have to disagree there. Just in the NFC East alone in the 80's and 90's you not only had great pass rushers, but some really great defenses. I think the reason teams have gone to so much shotgun ( in the pros) is the QB's now call out the protections and it gives them better vision to pick up blitzes.

But you're correct, it starts in HS. I watched the college game last night and SMU and Cent Fla didn't get under center at all. SMU had a 4th and inches and ran play action in gun that fooled no one.

skinsfan69 10-06-2022 03:55 PM

91 offense could do everything. No weaknesses. 83 may have been even better to be honest. To score 540 points in those days was off the charts. but 91 I feel was more complete. 9 sacks all year is a shocking stat. and this wasn't a quick passing game like the walsh 49ers. gibbs went down field and had slow developing plays.

the 49ers today are under center a lot and have one of the best offenses in the league. if you put an elite qb in there they'd win it all.

skinsfan69 10-06-2022 03:57 PM

Heinicke would have been perfect for Bill Walsh back in the 80's. He would be a star in the NFL if you put him in that old school West Coast offense and gave him Rice and Taylor. He could probably run that offense to perfection.

Chico23231 10-11-2022 07:41 AM

Shanny outside Zone based run scheme, running play action/west coast pass schemes off of it.

BaltimoreSkins 10-11-2022 07:49 AM

Yes Chico yes

skinsfaninok 10-11-2022 08:51 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1324703]So are you saying that the pass rushers from let's say the 80's and 90's were not as good as the ones now? I would have to disagree there. Just in the NFC East alone in the 80's and 90's you not only had great pass rushers, but some really great defenses. I think the reason teams have gone to so much shotgun ( in the pros) is the QB's now call out the protections and it gives them better vision to pick up blitzes.

But you're correct, it starts in HS. I watched the college game last night and SMU and Cent Fla didn't get under center at all. SMU had a 4th and inches and ran play action in gun that fooled no one.[/quote]

It's hard to compare era's but the speed today on defense especially is crazy. Look at guys like Donald, Parsons , Watt , etc.