Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Al Saunders on the way out? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21968)

GMScud 01-13-2008 12:27 AM

Al Saunders on the way out?

So according to JLC's article in Sunday's [I]Post[/I], several GM's contacted about their opinion on the Skins' future seem to think Al Saunders is not long for the Burgundy & Gold. He also goes on to say that Bugel, Breaux, Simmons, and Burns will most likely stick around. So if Saunders leaves, who becomes OC? Do we look outside to organization or stay within? Should Saunders go? It's no secret he and Gregg aren't the best of friends....

From JLC's article:
[I]
With the team at a crossroads after Gibbs's sudden retirement, there is much to go over. Several general managers contacted said they believed the job of [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Al+Saunders?tid=informline"]Al Saunders[/URL], the Redskins' associate head coach whose offense has under-performed in two years in Washington, could be in jeopardy, and some turnover on the offensive coaching staff may be inevitable....

...The source also believed that the four offensive coaches who were with Gibbs from his first stint in Washington -- [URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Joe+Bugel?tid=informline"]Joe Bugel[/URL], Don Breaux, Rennie Simmons and Jack Burns -- would remain a part of the staff, and they have expressed their desire to continue coaching.
[/I]

wolfeskins 01-13-2008 12:29 AM

Re: Al Saunders on the way out?

i'd like to see al saunders stick around at least i more year.

12thMan 01-13-2008 12:30 AM

I wouldn't put too much stock into what outsiders think the Skins are going to do. If I were a betting man, I would say both Williams and Saunders are back.

hurrykaine 01-13-2008 12:34 AM

Saunders better be back. Would suck to go back to the high school offense that Breaux/Burns/Bugel employed in '04 and most of '05. Or for that matter, it would suck equally to watch the offense struggle to learn a totally new offensive system.

GMScud 01-13-2008 12:35 AM

[quote=12thMan;406611]I wouldn't put too much stock into what outsiders think the Skins are going to do. If I were a betting man, I would say both Williams and Saunders are back.[/quote]

Apparently the Danny is very disappointed with the offense since Al came in. It's hard to judge Al too hard because of the flux in the QB position and injuries. Not to mention the conflicting philosophies with Gibbs (which still makes me wonder why Al was hired to begin with). I think if he sticks around he MUST have autonomy as far as all play calling is concerned. I personally don't want to see him go. If the Danny is all about continuity and JC being the franchise QB, then stick with Al.

wolfeskins 01-13-2008 12:35 AM

i didn't know greg and al didn't get along

onlydarksets 01-13-2008 12:38 AM

I think the last 4 games of the season probably saved Saunders' job. That is, if Gibbs had retired without that run, I think Saunders would definitely be gone, whether he wanted to or not. However, he showed what this offense is [U]capable[/U] of doing, and I bet that caught Snyder's attention.

GMScud 01-13-2008 12:38 AM

[quote=wolfeskins;406615]i didn't know greg and al didn't get along[/quote]

I don't think it's that they don't get along, it's more like they basically don't have a relationship. Al coaches strictly offense, and does his work on Sunday from the booth. Gregg is all defense, and always on the sideline. Apparently they aren't close at all.

SmootSmack 01-13-2008 12:41 AM

I'll just combine here what I've said in a couple of other threads

Al Saunders was at the Wizards game (big win over the Celtics!) tonight, for what it's worth.

Anyhow, yeah it will be really interesting to see what happens on the offensive side of the ball. Either way I don't see Cameron here. He'll probably be Marty's OC if Schott takes the Ravens' HC job

I hope Saunders stays. And I think he will. We certainly seemed to be making progress under his offensive game plan. I wish there was someone on the offensive coaching staff who stood out as being able to step up to a more prominent role. On the defensive side if Williams were to leave or move up to HC, you know someone like Jerry Gray is capable of stepping into the DC (or Asst. Head Coach-Defense) role. But if the same happened with Saunders, is there someone on the staff that could step up? I don't know that there is? Byner? Hixon?

I thought maybe the Redskins were in Arizona interviewing Jim Fassel (since it supposedly wasn't Russ Grimm). But supposedly it was a current assistant coach. So maybe it was Maurice Carthon. He's a legit candidate, though far from the best (and it fulfills the Rooney Rule). Or maybe it was some assistant from another team who happens to live in Arizona.

I think Saunders stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if several other assistants leave. I think they're going to pare down that staff. Let people go and not necessarily replace them.

GMScud 01-13-2008 12:51 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;406620]I'll just combine here what I've said in a couple of other threads

Al Saunders was at the Wizards game (big win over the Celtics!) tonight, for what it's worth.

Anyhow, yeah it will be really interesting to see what happens on the offensive side of the ball. Either way I don't see Cameron here. He'll probably be Marty's OC if Schott takes the Ravens' HC job

I hope Saunders stays. And I think he will. We certainly seemed to be making progress under his offensive game plan. I wish there was someone on the offensive coaching staff who stood out as being able to step up to a more prominent role. On the defensive side if Williams were to leave or move up to HC, you know someone like Jerry Gray is capable of stepping into the DC (or Asst. Head Coach-Defense) role. But if the same happened with Saunders, is there someone on the staff that could step up? I don't know that there is? Byner? Hixon?

I thought maybe the Redskins were in Arizona interviewing Jim Fassel (since it supposedly wasn't Russ Grimm). But supposedly it was a current assistant coach. So maybe it was Maurice Carthon. He's a legit candidate, though far from the best (and it fulfills the Rooney Rule). Or maybe it was some assistant from another team who happens to live in Arizona.

I think Saunders stays, but I wouldn't be surprised if several other assistants leave. I think they're going to pare down that staff. Let people go and not necessarily replace them.[/quote]

As far as the Wiz go... HELL YEAH!! Lowest point total of the season for Boston! Woohooo!

As far as the rest.. I hope to god we weren't interviewing Jim Fassel. If Billick says "trust me, I know quarterbacks," and Fassel was coaching underneath him, then just shoot me if he comes to town.

I think Al should stay too. No one on the current offensive staff is capable of taking over as a coordinator IMO, and the only other guy I'd feel comfortable with from outside is Jim Caldwell (Indy). But he won't leave the Colts for another coordinator position.

Al will probably feel a little more at ease without Gibbs around. If there can be an "I'll do my thing, you do yours" understanding between Al and Gregg, I'm all for it. That is, of course, if Gregg is named head coach...

Isn't flux fun?? :doh:

70Chip 01-13-2008 02:14 AM

If Saunders goes, I would like to see them go with Bill Lazor. Most of the successful OCs in the league right now are younger guys. Hell Peyton Manning is Indy's de-facto Coordinator so maybe we should just give the job to Todd Collins.

SmootSmack 01-13-2008 02:35 AM

[QUOTE=70Chip;406641]If Saunders goes, I would like to see them go with Bill Lazor. Most of the successful OCs in the league right now are younger guys. Hell Peyton Manning is Indy's de-facto Coordinator so maybe we should just give the job to Todd Collins.[/QUOTE]

Lazor would be an interesting choice, and not a bad one at that.

dmek25 01-13-2008 06:43 AM

i was one of the biggest Saunders bashers. but over the last quarter of the season, his offense started clicking. now, to keep continuity, he has almost got to stay if the skins are to be successful in 2008

T.O.Killa 01-13-2008 09:35 AM

If the Redskins are to be successfull, with Williams, they need Saunders. If they get rid of Saunders, we are 6-10 next year, and Williams is on the way out and Cohwer is in[I]. [/I]It seemed to me, that after we lost to Buffalo, Joe Gibbs gave complete control to Saunders and the offense took off. I think this article is another case of JLC making totally inacurate statements. The more I think about last season, the more I think the JLC is wrong about Saunders. Last year, our defense was the problem and our offense was getting better. This year our offense started coming together, especialy after Collins took over. Furthemore, as the season progressed, Joe gave him more and more control. Throwing on 4-1, come on, Joe had complete trust in him. I would be stunned if they kept Williams and let Saunders go.

Defensewins 01-13-2008 10:08 AM

Al Saunders has never had control of the offense. It would be unfair of Snyder the football genius to blame Saunders for the redskins woes on offense. Gibbs controlled the offense play calling or at least had a heavy influence on what was called. Saunders never really ran 'his' offense. I hope this report is not true.