Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins picking up Jonathan Allen’s fifth-year option (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64619)

MTK 04-27-2020 04:34 PM

Redskins picking up Jonathan Allen’s fifth-year option

[URL="https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/27/washington-picking-up-jonathan-allens-fifth-year-option/"]Redskins picking up Jonathan Allen’s fifth-year option[/URL]

mooby 04-27-2020 04:48 PM

Re: Redskins picking up Jonathan Allen’s fifth-year option

Well deserved. He's one of our main leaders now that Trent burned his bridges.

NYCskinfan82 04-27-2020 06:35 PM

No brainier. Team Captain this new DF scheme will suit him. HTTR.

CRedskinsRule 04-27-2020 06:52 PM

I think Allen will have a resurgence under Del Rio. Coming from Alabama I doubt he understood the depth of disfunction of the Skins.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Meks 04-27-2020 07:35 PM

Good

FrenchSkin 04-27-2020 09:11 PM

Not that it's astonishingly surprising, it's the smart thing to do, but I do think it's a bit telling : Rivera's policy has clearly be to evaluate what he can do with this roster before committing long term to anybody, so I like that he already sees Allen as a part of his long term project.

SFREDSKIN 04-27-2020 09:17 PM

Now you know why the team didn’t go crazy on free agency, need to extend our own. Allen and Scherff, in the near future Payne, etc. The nice thing is after next year we can goodbye to Smith, gain more cap space, Kerrigan restructuring or moving on, cutting Collins if he disappoints.

Pervis_Griffith 04-27-2020 10:30 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1251094]Now you know why the team didn’t go crazy on free agency, need to extend our own. Allen and Scherff, in the near future Payne, etc. [/quote]

Yeah ... it makes my head hurt trying to figure out how to keep our young DLine together without blowing up the cap. Having some room to do that, makes sense. Especially when the FA we targeted may not be worth the mega dollars they got.

Chico23231 04-27-2020 10:37 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1251094]Now you know why the team didn’t go crazy on free agency, need to extend our own. Allen and Scherff, in the near future Payne, etc. The nice thing is after next year we can goodbye to Smith, gain more cap space, Kerrigan restructuring or moving on, cutting Collins if he disappoints.[/quote]

I heard keim say something interesting on the podcast About Kerrigan...said “he had thought RK would be extended with cap number reduced, now not so sure. “

This is good news. I’m ok with Kerrigan playing out his deal or possibly being traded midseason. While I like the guy, the team is turning in a new direction. Getting his 11 mill off the books after this season as well as Smith is gonna be nice

Warthog 04-27-2020 11:11 PM

They’ll keep Kerrigan for his final season. Besides being a backup to Chase he will be a GREAT mentor. Chase is willing to learn and Ryan will help teach him. I also think he’ll have a much better season than last, because he’ll be used correctly.

After this season, not sure what’s going to happen, but he’ll probably be let go. His salary is too high as a backup and depth player. But for this season he will do well keeping Sweat and Young fresh and pressure on the QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 04-28-2020 01:17 AM

[quote=Warthog;1251106]They’ll keep Kerrigan for his final season. Besides being a backup to Chase he will be a GREAT mentor. Chase is willing to learn and Ryan will help teach him. I also think he’ll have a much better season than last, because he’ll be used correctly.

After this season, not sure what’s going to happen, but he’ll probably be let go. His salary is too high as a backup and depth player. But for this season he will do well keeping Sweat and Young fresh and pressure on the QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I think their might be a chance RK would be ready to take some sort of team friendly team to finish his career as a Redskin. IIRC Dan Snyder loves him and wants him to retire in Burgundy and Gold, he'll be 32 next year, and while he's a very very good player I'm not sure he'd get a crazy high offer in FA.

sdskinsfan2001 04-28-2020 01:39 AM

Definitely hope we keep Kerrigan for another 2 or 3 seasons. Great leader and a still productive player.

Warthog 04-28-2020 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1251110]I think their might be a chance RK would be ready to take some sort of team friendly team to finish his career as a Redskin. IIRC Dan Snyder loves him and wants him to retire in Burgundy and Gold, he'll be 32 next year, and while he's a very very good player I'm not sure he'd get a crazy high offer in FA.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but only if Kerrigan takes a couple year deal that is very beneficial to the team. He’s said he wants to finish with the team and I believe him. I think the Trent Williams deal shows that Rivera is in charge and making decisions for the good of the team, based on HIS decisions. I don’t know if Snyder can or will intercede for Kerrigan. Rivera has no history with any player, except those he drafted or coached previously. I have a Kerrigan jersey and really like him, but the Redskjns aren’t good enough to make decisions based just on sentimentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooby 04-28-2020 03:14 PM

[quote=Chico23231;1251100]I heard keim say something interesting on the podcast About Kerrigan...said “he had thought RK would be extended with cap number reduced, now not so sure. “

This is good news. I’m ok with Kerrigan playing out his deal or possibly being traded midseason. While I like the guy, the team is turning in a new direction. Getting his 11 mill off the books after this season as well as Smith is gonna be nice[/quote]

With the news that Rivera and Smith agreed on not extending any players this season without getting to know them first it makes sense.

In Kerrigan's case it's not so much about what kind of guy he is but whether it makes sense to extend him after his position change and his age. My guess is if he is able to play end decent they'll extend him at a much lower salary, assuming he wants to be here.

MTK 04-28-2020 03:19 PM

Now that we don't need the cap space I guess I'd say why bother extending Kerrigan? Let him play out the year and make sure last year wasn't a sign that he's breaking down and hitting the end of his career. If he balls out give him an extension later on.