Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What Bruce Allen means to Redskins Draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=34376)

PennSkinsFan 12-28-2009 04:15 PM

What Bruce Allen means to Redskins Draft

We asked 4 of the best NFL Draft sites on the web their take on the Allen impact and the Draft. Here are the responses.

[URL="http://rumorsandreports.com/?p=225"][B]http://rumorsandreports.com/?p=225
[/B][/URL]

53Fan 12-28-2009 04:27 PM

Re: What Bruce Allen means to Redskins Draft

Interesting. Especially Walter's take on the situation. I hope he's right about Allen's picks.

pauljunior 12-28-2009 04:45 PM

I like Walter's opinion.

LandrySlice 12-28-2009 05:04 PM

Interesting opinions, I just don't know why we have to get a QB at pick 5? From what I have read, a lot of good qb's will be available in the last 1st or early 2nd round

CultBrennan59 12-28-2009 05:06 PM

I agree with the last two comments in the drafting with redskins column

SmootSmack 12-28-2009 05:08 PM

I disagree with the notion that we haven't made any notable picks in the 2nd round or beyond in the past decade.

Longtimefan 12-28-2009 05:26 PM

Walter's opinion is fine with the exception of bringing back the entire coaching staff, I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

Hog1 12-28-2009 05:40 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;647098]Walter's opinion is fine with the exception of [B]bringing back the entire coaching staff[/B], I seriously doubt that's going to happen.[/quote]

THAT did it for me
bring back the entire coaching staff? insufferable....stupery

MTK 12-28-2009 06:22 PM

Allen (and Shanahan) supposedly will have control over the draft meaning Snyder is out of the picture. That alone should be a good thing, we'll see.

Longtimefan 12-28-2009 06:56 PM

When we make a decision, when he makes a decision, that's a club decision and a Redskin decision.....What the hell ever that means, those are the words of Dan Snyder in response to a reporters question at Bruce Allen's introductory press conference.

If indeed Shanahan is named the new coach and team president, lets hope that he, Allen and the chief scouts are the only ones alowed anywhere near the war room on draft day. If that is the case, then that alone will go a long way towards answering the reporters question; Will Bruce Allen have full authority over all football related matters going foreward?

WaldSkins 12-28-2009 07:29 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;647090]I disagree with the notion that we haven't made any notable picks in the 2nd round or beyond in the past decade.[/quote]

I agree- Smoot, Betts, Mcintosh, Thomas, Davis, and Kelly have all been selected in the second round since 2001. Imagine if we would of had the Portis and Jason Taylor picks that were shipped away in trades.

WaldSkins 12-28-2009 07:34 PM

[quote=LandrySlice;647083]Interesting opinions, I just don't know why we have to get a QB at pick 5? From what I have read, a lot of good qb's will be available in the last 1st or early 2nd round[/quote]

Well at pick 5 we would probably have our option of the top QB on the board. After Okung there really isn't a OL prospect worthy of a top 5 selection. We could take Clausen/Bradford at 5 and then draft someone like Ciron Black in the second.

rbanerjee23 12-28-2009 07:35 PM

[quote=Mattyk;647119]Allen (and Shanahan) supposedly will have control over the draft meaning Snyder is out of the picture. That alone should be a good thing, we'll see.[/quote]

Really, where did you hear that/what guarantee do you have? I would love to see it happen but if Redskins go QB, I am sure that Snyder had some significant input because Shanahan is smart enough to see that OL is the top priority

Gtothearry 12-28-2009 08:30 PM

I personally feel like we will wasting a draft pick if we pick up a qb.

Colin Lindsey? R u kidding me!

"Doubt that the Redskins approach will change all that much in that Vinnie Cerrato who ran the draft in recent years was a solid football guy."

GoSkins! 12-28-2009 08:34 PM

The thing with Vinny was that he wasn't bad at drafting players for talent, but that he had no ability to draft to build a good team. I think that he did pretty good drafting talent, but horrible in free agency (probably to keep Snyder happy with splash over fit). This is where I see Allen potentially having the biggest impact. If he can tell Snyder "NO" on some of these "splash" free agent picks and instead fill holes and build depth, we will be miles ahead of where we were with Vinny.

SmootSmack 12-28-2009 10:27 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;647124]I agree- Smoot, Betts, Mcintosh, Thomas, Davis, and Kelly have all been selected in the second round since 2001. Imagine if we would of had the Portis and Jason Taylor picks that were shipped away in trades.[/quote]

Not to mention Chris Horton, Kedric Golston, Chris Cooley...

On another note, I don't think drafting a QB (Bradford) in the first round means Shanahan has no input. Shanahan may be smart enough to know we need to improve the offensive line. But he's also smart enough to know we need a franchise QB (and Campbell isn't showing he's that guy). He's smart enough to know not to reach for an OT, and we will if we draft an OT in the first round that isn't Okung. And he's smart enough to know we can address the OL in other ways beyond the first pick

53Fan 12-28-2009 11:01 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;647128]Well at pick 5 we would probably have our option of the top QB on the board. After Okung there really isn't a OL prospect worthy of a top 5 selection. We could take Clausen/Bradford at 5 and then [B]draft someone like Ciron Black in the second[/B].[/quote]

There is some question whether he can play LT in the NFL, but if nothing else he would be one hell of a RT. I like him.

WaldSkins 12-29-2009 12:24 AM

[quote=53Fan;647187]There is some question whether he can play LT in the NFL, but if nothing else he would be one hell of a RT. I like him.[/quote]

Anything will help and if that anything puts Heyer on the bench then it's a pick well spent.

LandrySlice 12-29-2009 04:44 AM

many reports say Okung could be an instant impact as a RT, but could probally play both sides. This year isin't quite as talent filled with LT prospects as last year was.

MTK 12-29-2009 06:37 AM

[quote=rbanerjee23;647129]Really, where did you hear that/what guarantee do you have? I would love to see it happen but if Redskins go QB, I am sure that Snyder had some significant input because Shanahan is smart enough to see that OL is the top priority[/quote]

It's been reported by multiple sources lately. Last I heard was Gil Brandt confirm it on NFL radio.

Dirtbag59 12-29-2009 05:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;647179]Not to mention Chris Horton, Kedric Golston, Chris Cooley...

On another note, I don't think drafting a QB (Bradford) in the first round means Shanahan has no input. Shanahan may be smart enough to know we need to improve the offensive line. But he's also smart enough to know we need a franchise QB (and Campbell isn't showing he's that guy). He's smart enough to know not to reach for an OT, and we will if we draft an OT in the first round that isn't Okung.[B] And he's smart enough to know we can address the OL in other ways beyond the first pick[/B][/quote]

Keep in mind his teams also do a good job of developing small athletic lineman that other teams tend to overlook due to their lack of size. The downside to that though might be that from the perspective of our fans we'd be adding a group of Casey Rabach clones.