Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24780)

MTK 08-28-2008 01:26 PM

Re: Chargers' Merriman will forgo surgery, play with knee injury

He's had 4 independent doctors that have recommended surgery.

[url=http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080828-9999-1s28chargers.html]SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Merriman opts to play[/url]

GTripp0012 08-28-2008 01:32 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;468526]He's had 4 independent doctors that have recommended surgery.

[URL="http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080828-9999-1s28chargers.html"]SignOnSanDiego.com > San Diego Chargers -- Merriman opts to play[/URL][/quote]Aren't the doctors always going to error on the side of caution? You never want to be the guy who told Merriman to go for it, only to have him suffer a season ending injury.

The team doctors still have to clear him to play. I'm assuming they have already...you know when the injury was first discovered. So obviously the team doctors feel it's playable.

I think the big point here is that "erroring on the side of caution" means recommending the surgery, and the worst possible scenario if he plays is only a more complicated surgery. I don't think that it's quite as risky as it seems on the outside to us.

saden1 08-28-2008 01:33 PM

When you have two ligaments tears you don't need a doctor to tell you it's not a good thing. It's given you should take care of them.

MTK 08-28-2008 01:38 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;468529]Aren't the doctors always going to error on the side of caution?

The team doctors still have to clear him to play. I'm assuming they have already...you know when the injury was first discovered. So obviously the team doctors feel it's playable.

I think the big point here is that "erroring on the side of caution" means recommending the surgery, and the worst possible scenario if he plays is only a more complicated surgery. I don't think that it's quite as risky as it seems on the outside.[/quote]

Of course the team doctors are going to lean more towards letting him play. I'd value an independent opinion much more than someone with a vested interest.

Did you read this article? Not only could he complicate things by injuring it further, but there is a chance of it potentially being career threatening.

[quote]Merriman has been told he is better off having the surgery now than waiting. He has been advised he can make the injury worse by playing, that he can eventually wear out the cartilage in his knee by playing in this state. That would, without a doubt, threaten his career. [/quote]

I work closely with nurses at my job and they've all told me the same thing. Two damaged ligaments severely compromises the overall stability of the knee. And in a sport that requires drastic stopping and starting, his chance of injuring the knee further is greatly increased.

MTK 08-28-2008 01:42 PM

[quote=saden1;468530]When you have two ligaments tears you don't need a doctor to tell you it's not a good thing. It's given you should take care of them.[/quote]

That's what amazes me about the people who don't seem to think this is a big deal. When do we ever hear about someone attempting to play an entire season with 2 damaged ligaments? It's simple... 2 torn ligaments = need for surgery. Can you play on it? Sure. Is it a wise thing to do? Probably not.

GTripp0012 08-28-2008 01:45 PM

[quote=saden1;468530]When you have two ligaments tears you don't need a doctor to tell you it's not a good thing. It's given you should take care of them.[/quote]Well, yeah, of course.

I'm sure the team is going to monitor the situation very closely, and that he will receive daily treatment -- maybe even to the point where the knee improves as the season goes on. I don't think this is going to be a "lets push it until it breaks" kind of deal.

GTripp0012 08-28-2008 01:52 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;468536]That's what amazes me about the people who don't seem to think this is a big deal. When do we ever hear about someone attempting to play an entire season with 2 damaged ligaments? It's simple... 2 torn ligaments = need for surgery. Can you play on it? Sure. Is it a wise thing to do? Probably not.[/quote]I think it's a BIG deal. Almost as big as Umeniorya's story. I remember saying that I think there is a legitimate chance his effectiveness will be compromised.

But Merriman is doing the RIGHT thing by putting the ball in the team's court. Yes, he could easily have said "I'm done" and sat out all year earning his paycheck, but he's willing to help the Chargers with a championship if it's worth it.

If AJ Smith thinks there is a reasonable risk that Merriman's career could end because of this injury, he WILL shut him down. I want to make that clear. I'm not saying the Chargers shouldn't consider ending Merriman's season anyway. I'm saying they definitely have considered it, and apparently, they don't see the same risk in the situation that the rest of us do.

If it was me, I would shut him down (based on the third hand information I have). But I would also expect my athlete to continue to prepare for the season until we tell him that he's getting the surgery. That last part is where Merriman is clearly in the right.

mcarey032 08-28-2008 01:54 PM

He wears Lavar's number and must have his mentality because it is absolutely crazy to risk his career so that he can get his money up. I understand that there is big money and people behind you that can replace you at a whim, but if takes his time, some team will take a chance on him, say like the Redskins and he would still get paid. It is insane to risk his career just to play this season. He would still get his money next year and he would certainly be better off. He should talk to the other 56 about coming back when you aren't ready to play from a knee injury.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-28-2008 02:16 PM

Let me go on record as saying, if Merriman plays this year, he WILL injure his knee. Hopefully it's not catastrophic.

doughtydoubter 08-28-2008 03:57 PM

hopefully he is and then he will be cut and we can get hm like erasamus. (wishful thinking)

saden1 08-28-2008 05:09 PM

[IMG]http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080828/images/knee.gif[/IMG]

Nuff said.

Edit: Image is from the Link posted by Matty.

GMScud 08-28-2008 05:13 PM

Thanks for the graphic Saden. No doubt about it. This guy is making a mistake. Jim Rome had a good quote earlier today - "There is a fine line between courage and stupidity, and Merriman is on the latter side of that line with this decision."

Defensewins 08-28-2008 05:20 PM

This guys is a steriod freak. Do you think he can make a smart decision about his health? Not a smart person.

doughtydoubter 08-28-2008 05:46 PM

ehhh..let him get hurt..hes not on our roster

DallasFan 08-29-2008 05:45 PM

dumb move. hes going to risk career ending injury if he plays.