Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ravens QB Steve McNair Announces Retirement (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=23212)

SmootSmack 04-17-2008 10:43 AM

Ravens QB Steve McNair Announces Retirement

Link coming soon. Always liked him. Ravens suck even more now

Monkeydad 04-17-2008 10:46 AM

Re: Ravens QB Steve McNair Announces Retirement

2 years too late.

KLHJ2 04-17-2008 10:52 AM

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807d10c1&template=with-video&confirm=true]McNair to announce his retirement[/url]

Here is a little one.

SmootSmack 04-17-2008 10:52 AM

Thanks Angry

Redskins247 04-17-2008 10:57 AM

I always liked him too, during the good years the Titans were in every game with him as the QB. And I thought the way they handled him leaving TN was as sh*tty as it gets!!!

MTK 04-17-2008 10:57 AM

I always liked watching him play, one of the toughest SOB's the league has seen.

But the last few years he's been a shell of his former self.

mooby 04-17-2008 11:01 AM

I wasn't expecting him to retire this season, but I think the time is right. I always looked up to him in his better days, but as of late he hasn't been that guy. Sucks for the Ravens though, whatever rookie quarterback there gonna draft is gonna have to sit for a while while Kyle Boller plays lol. Kyle Boller shouldn't be anything more than a backup now, I really thought when McNair got injured that he'd have an easier time coming off the bench and that would help him because he wouldn't have been thought of as "the guy" in B-more anymore, but it really didn't. Good for McNair though, he recognized it's time to move on.

Who thinks he has a shot of getting in the HOF with Brett Favre in 2012 now? Is he a first ballot HOF'er or will he have to wait a while?

dmek25 04-17-2008 11:05 AM

boy, ill bet they want Ryan in the worst way. maybe a draft day trade? McNair, in his hay day, was one of the toughest S.O.B's to play that position. probably hung on 2 years too long. anyone care to post his career stats? just wondering, because the next question is he "Hall" worthy?

KLHJ2 04-17-2008 11:09 AM

[url=http://www.nfl.com/players/stevemcnair/profile?id=MCN033803]Steve McNair[/url]

Steve McNair, QB
Baltimore Ravens
Career Statistics
Att: 4,544
Comp: 2,733
Yards: 31,304
TD/INT: 174/119

MTK 04-17-2008 11:13 AM

Looking at his [URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaSt00.htm?redir"]career numbers[/URL] I'll say he's definitely not a first ballot guy and might not even be a Hall of Famer at all.

He had a good career. Was he great though? Not so sure about that. He was a popular and well respected player though, that might help his case.

steveo395 04-17-2008 11:41 AM

If they put him in the hall of fame, they might as well put mark brunell in the hall of fame because he was just as good, if not better... so basically what I'm saying is, he better not make the hall of fame.

MTK 04-17-2008 11:43 AM

[quote=steveo395;440318]If they put him in the hall of fame, they might as well put mark brunell in the hall of fame because he was just as good, if not better... so basically what I'm saying is, he better not make the hall of fame.[/quote]

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing regarding MB. His numbers are very similar

[url=http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrunMa00.htm]Mark Brunell Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com[/url]

GTripp0012 04-17-2008 11:45 AM

Probably a no on the HOF for McNair.

He won an MVP in his career year, and had a few other good years scattered around it, but he took a very long time to develop. He was an anchor on the '99 SB team, and that was his 5th NFL season already.

His career took off for the next four years, and he showed he could be a pro bowl level player, culminating with the Co-MVP in 2003, but there's a long list of players with better credentials than McNair who are on the outside looking in at Canton right now.

KLHJ2 04-17-2008 11:47 AM

[quote=Mattyk72;440319]Yeah I'm thinking the same thing regarding MB. His numbers are very similar

[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrunMa00.htm"]Mark Brunell Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com[/URL][/quote]

And all it took was Baltimore-Washington connection to water down their numbers even more. [IMG]http://www.thewarpath.net/images/icons/icon10.gif[/IMG]

GTripp0012 04-17-2008 11:49 AM

[quote=dmek25;440300]boy, ill bet they want Ryan in the worst way. maybe a draft day trade? McNair, in his hay day, was one of the toughest S.O.B's to play that position. probably hung on 2 years too long. anyone care to post his career stats? just wondering, because the next question is he "Hall" worthy?[/quote]I'm really surprised that the fact that Matt Ryan is an awful decision maker doesn't factor in to the evaluation of his intangibles?

If argument A was "he makes a bunch of bad decisions and throws too many interceptions" and argument B was "his nickname is 'Matty Ice.'!!!!!", you'd have half the scouts in the league assuming that those two pieces of information cancel each other.

But you are absolutely right, the Ravens need to get somebody in the first two rounds of this draft to play QB for them.

hail_2_da_skins 04-17-2008 11:52 AM

Steve McNair was a good quarterback but I don't think he is hall of fame material.

Redskins247 04-17-2008 12:02 PM

[QUOTE=steveo395;440318]If they put him in the hall of fame, they might as well put mark brunell in the hall of fame because he was just as good, if not better... so basically what I'm saying is, he better not make the hall of fame.[/QUOTE]

Ok I'll be the one to say it, if Theismann is not a Hall of Famer, then McNair definitely is not.

skinsfan_nn 04-17-2008 12:31 PM

That was a smart move on McNairs behalf to finally retire, it was time to hang it up last year. I'm sure he would enjoy simple tasks such as walking after the game, these last couple years have been rough on his health.

Although he was fun to watch in his prime. He IMO is in no way a HOF QB.

J. Spanky 04-17-2008 12:45 PM

definitely not hall worthy. but a very good qb and person. its a shame to see him go. its the right decision though. probably a year too late. but i'd have like to see the ol' boy get some of his groove back in baltimore.

ah well, another great player retires in the shadow of brett favre. hopefully, troy smith will get a fair shot now.

Schneed10 04-17-2008 12:58 PM

McNair never won the SB. Unless he's got Marino numbers (which he doesn't), that pretty much precludes him in my book.

BeastsoftheNFCeast 04-17-2008 01:08 PM

This is good for the skins, besides the fact that we play the ravens, the ravens might consider trading up into the 1st to nab a QB.

hagams 04-17-2008 01:14 PM

Wow....I hadn't noticed that he's been playing that long. Man, getting old sucks.

skinsfan69 04-17-2008 01:49 PM

This doesn't surprise me. With Balt. probably looking to draft a QB, plus keep Boller and Smith, he probably would've got cut if he didn't retire. It was painful watching him play last year. His body just broke down on him. He had a good career but not HOF career.

SmootSmack 04-17-2008 02:06 PM

Very strong career, but not a HOFer. Smart move retiring now, especially if Ogden retires as well.

freddyg12 04-17-2008 02:53 PM

[quote=BeastsoftheNFCeast;440340]This is good for the skins, besides the fact that we play the ravens, the ravens might consider trading up into the 1st to nab a QB.[/quote]

good thinking, but don't the ravens pick in the top 10? I think they'll be able to nab either Ryan or Flacco if they like em. If they're looking at moving into the 1st for another pick, Brohm will likely be there at 21 when we pick. What do they have to offer?

Ozzie Newsome is a wise gm, keeps draft picks & doesn't make too many trades. I would be surprised if they end up being a trading partner w/us, but it's certainly a possibility, just like Quinn last year when Cleveland moved up to get him.

jsarno 04-17-2008 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=mooby;440298]I wasn't expecting him to retire this season, but I think the time is right. I always looked up to him in his better days, but as of late he hasn't been that guy. Sucks for the Ravens though, whatever rookie quarterback there gonna draft is gonna have to sit for a while while Kyle Boller plays lol. Kyle Boller shouldn't be anything more than a backup now, I really thought when McNair got injured that he'd have an easier time coming off the bench and that would help him because he wouldn't have been thought of as "the guy" in B-more anymore, but it really didn't. Good for McNair though, he recognized it's time to move on.

[b]Who thinks he has a shot of getting in the HOF[/b] with Brett Favre in 2012 now? Is he a first ballot HOF'er or will he have to wait a while?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. If you look at his numbers, they are eerily similar to Brunell's. So unless Brunell can make the hall, McNair shouldn't.
I loved his game, but he was a piece of glass...always injured. He never threw for 3500 yards, and there was only 1 year he was a top tier QB. If you are comparing players to their era, he in no way deserves it.
Not saying he wasn't a good player, just a hall of famer he is not.

Monkeydad 04-17-2008 03:24 PM

He'll get in after Randall Cunningham does. :D

firstdown 04-17-2008 04:10 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;440319]Yeah I'm thinking the same thing regarding MB. His numbers are very similar

[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrunMa00.htm"]Mark Brunell Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com[/URL][/quote]
And they both should have retired several years ago.

rypper11 04-17-2008 04:18 PM

Not a HOFer, but a great QB and a great guy. He was a lot of fun to watch. I think he gets a bum rap for not having better numbers, but really, did he ever have a wr? Mason is good, not great. Wycheck and Bennett were good, but not field stretchers. He always played on strong running teams (Eddie George, McGahee) though his career QB rating doesn't show it.

Dirtbag59 04-17-2008 05:05 PM

Please trade up Ravens. Take Ryan Clady with that first pick and Brian Brohm with the 21st pick. I sware though if a team decides to trade up with the Redskins it's because of the combination of being in a spot that will allow x team to select whatever 2nd teir QB they want as well as being offered a discout in that the cost will only be an early 2nd and 3rd round pick. Of course I don't know the difference in money between 21 and 26 but I can imagine that it's only a couple of million dollars.

Skinny Tee 04-17-2008 10:27 PM

NFL Therom of Deduction:

If a team just got one player worse then my team just got one player better.

Better for McNair anyway...he's going to be one of those guys who can't get out of bed in the morning. He's so banged up with back issues it doesn't bode well for his longterm health.

GusFrerotte 04-17-2008 10:55 PM

Steve Mcnair was one of the better Qb's the past two decades. He helped make the Titans a decent team when he was with them. He should have retired after last season though. Injuries were a problem and the team(Ravens) is horrid now.

Stuck in TX 04-18-2008 10:23 AM

There is only one, maybe two (Pat Ramsey) QB's who I have ever seen take a hit like McNair, and that is Terry Bradshaw. The only difference was that Bradshaw got back up and got hit again play after play and still managed to win a few SBs. McNair's problem was the getting back up part. Oh, and Ramsey just lacks the knowledge of football altogether.

jsarno 04-18-2008 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Stuck in TX;440587]There is only one, maybe two (Pat Ramsey) QB's who I have ever seen take a hit like McNair, and that is Terry Bradshaw. The only difference was that Bradshaw got back up and got hit again play after play and still managed to win a few SBs. McNair's problem was the getting back up part. [b]Oh, and Ramsey just lacks the knowledge of football altogether.[/b][/QUOTE]

And ability.

Stuck in TX 04-18-2008 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=jsarno;440709]And ability.[/QUOTE]

Heart and and a big arm just doesnt do the trick anymore

skinsfan_nn 04-20-2008 10:10 PM

PFT.com source of article.

MCNAIR NOT A HALL OF FAMER
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 20, 2008, 8:45 p.m.

We already know that one recently retired quarterback from Mississippi, Brett Favre, will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2013. But what about the other recently retired quarterback from Mississippi, Steve McNair?

Three Hall of Fame voters were asked their opinions by ESPN.com, and all three said no.

“I think Steve was a real good QB but has no chance for the Hall,” one voter said.

Another voter said of McNair, “He’s borderline at best.” The third also plans to vote no but added, “I can’t say that I would never vote for McNair.’

To get into the Hall of Fame, a candidate needs to receive 80 percent of the vote. As Art Monk discovered this year, voters do sometimes change their minds, but all indications are that a lot of minds would have to change for McNair to get in.

djnemo65 04-20-2008 11:08 PM

If you had asked me last year if McNair was a future Hall of Famer I would have probably said yes, but looking at his numbers it is tough to make a case for him. He's a guy whose perception around the league was greater than his numbers dictated, mostly because he was so tough, professional, and cool under pressure. Still one of my all time favorite guys though and if he ever did get in I wouldn't be mad at all. He was a few inches away from executing the greatest drive in Superbowl history.

Stuck in TX 04-20-2008 11:10 PM

he would have been an excellent horseshoes player... you know, where almost counts.

prinzeofmoval 04-20-2008 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;440302]Looking at his [URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaSt00.htm?redir"]career numbers[/URL] I'll say he's definitely not a first ballot guy and might not even be a Hall of Famer at all.

He had a good career. Was he great though? Not so sure about that. He was a popular and well respected player though, that might help his case.[/QUOTE]

He's apart of the 30,000 passing yards and 3,500 rushing yard club..the other two frank T. and steve young also apart of the club and is in the hall of fame

jsarno 04-21-2008 10:36 PM

[QUOTE=prinzeofmoval;441024]He's apart of the 30,000 passing yards and 3,500 rushing yard club..the other two frank T. and steve young also apart of the club and is in the hall of fame[/QUOTE]

That by no means makes him a hall of famer.
Seriously, take a gander at Brunell's stats vs McNairs. Amazingly similar. SO if McNair makes it, so should Brunell.