Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Randle El = Career Year (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=31950)

Hail to the Redskins 09-16-2009 07:39 PM

Randle El = Career Year

I know since the beginning of last season, people around the Redskins said that Randle El was best suited to being the slot receiver... and Sunday he proved it all true.

If we can start exposing those holes in zone defenses like he did or run a bunch of slants where he can beat his man off of the line, just think of the openings/mismatches he creates for Moss, Cooley & Kelly.

I hate to say it, but honestly, never been much of a Randle El fan, but, I really think HE could be the key to our offense this year as if defenses try and tighten up on him Cooley/Moss/Kelly will be set!

We really do have great "niches" for each receiver... Moss, the deep threat... Cooley, the reliable, 1st down receiver... Randle El the zone buster... and Kelly the jump ball/Plaxico Burress TD threat...

Regardless, I think it starts with Randle El establishing himself as a threat to catch 8-9 passes per game finding holes in the other team's gameplan...

Randle El = Wes Welker light in 2009?

I sure as hell hope so!!! ( If we could just get Zorn & Campbell to take advantage of the weapons...)

... Figured we could focus on something positive and good after the past few days of angst & hostility! lol Let's drink some Randle El Kool-Aid!! (OK ... exaggerating there)

skinsfan_nn 09-16-2009 07:46 PM

Re: Randle El = Career Year

If he stays in the slot AND healthy, he very well could have an unreal season.

GridIron26 09-16-2009 07:47 PM

Well, we saw only little from Randle El during the preseason.. Then last sunday, he exploded.. Let's just wait a couple of games and see the results.. Although, he did looked pretty good last sunday.. If the trend continues, then like you said, he probably will have best year of his career..

takethecake 09-16-2009 07:49 PM

and if he learns to throw the ball away when the trick plays go awry...

WaldSkins 09-16-2009 07:52 PM

Was ARE that good or did he just look amazing next to Moss/Kelly's combines 3 catches for 12 yards?

Hail to the Redskins 09-16-2009 08:08 PM

You didn't notice him settle down in the zone for the like 4 of his catches? He is a wuss after the catch... but he was open constantly from the slot position... we haven't had that in ... I have no idea how long.

My point, in regards to the whole Moss/Kelly lack of production comment, is if teams watch film and try and take him away, it actually leaves holes open for our BEST THREE receiving options...

WaldSkins 09-16-2009 08:22 PM

[quote=Hail to the Redskins;590381]You didn't notice him settle down in the zone for the like 4 of his catches? He is a wuss after the catch... but he was open constantly from the slot position... we haven't had that in ... I have no idea how long.

My point, in regards to the whole Moss/Kelly lack of production comment, is if teams watch film and try and take him away, it actually leaves holes open for our BEST THREE receiving options...[/quote]
I agree with you man i was just joking. How about we throw Moss in the slot a few times, he seems like he would flourish in the open field.

Hail to the Redskins 09-16-2009 08:32 PM

I hear that and agree...

saden1 09-16-2009 08:38 PM

Moss isn't squat-diddly-shit so you might be right. I expect Cooley to pick up the slack too.

WaldSkins 09-16-2009 08:46 PM

[quote=saden1;590403]Moss isn't squat-diddly-shit so you might be right. I expect Cooley to pick up the slack too.[/quote]

I really dont think that Moss likes running route's so if he's in the slot all he has to do is find the crease. Even Moss can do that right?

Dirtbag59 09-16-2009 08:52 PM

Randle El will have 1,568 yards this year.

SirClintonPortis 09-16-2009 09:29 PM

The last time he was even had a 100 yd game was Detroit in 2007 and he was 2 yds shy of it. :D
He won't be close to Welker though.

MTK 09-17-2009 09:08 AM

He's a great fit in the slot.

BleedBurgundy 09-17-2009 12:02 PM

regarding him taking a dive prior to contact, I wonder if that's not something that Saunders taught him. I remember all of the ram's receivers from their "greatest show on turf" days doing the same thing.

53Fan 09-17-2009 12:03 PM

Pretty good article about El in the slot:

[url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/sep/16/inside-story-on-passing-game]Inside story on passing game - Washington Times[/url]

MTK 09-17-2009 12:10 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;590672]regarding him taking a dive prior to contact, I wonder if that's not something that Saunders taught him. I remember all of the ram's receivers from their "greatest show on turf" days doing the same thing.[/quote]

It's the smart thing to do when you think about it. Avoid injury and avoid getting stripped. I don't expect someone his size to be fighting for extra yards.

SouperMeister 09-17-2009 12:12 PM

Randle El looked like Wes Welker out of the slot on Sunday. Once we get Kelly and Thomas involved, that should make Randle El even more effective. I agree that this will be his career year.

CrazyCanuck 09-17-2009 01:03 PM

I think ARE gets a bad rap here. I'm not sure why he was knocked out of the #2 slot to begin with. The guy is dangerous and more importantly he's a veteran and knows how to get open and make a play when we need him (see Giants game).

Who are these guys Kelly, Thomas, Davis that everyone talks about?? So far this group has been USELESS. How many more weeks until we can declare them busts and move on??

Did I read that Kelly is our "Plaxico type"?!?!? LOL The 2 names should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sorry dont mean to be a pessimist, and I do hope at least one of these guys can step up and contribute. But I find ARE gets thrown under the bus while we treat these 3 like they are the 2nd coming of the fun bunch.

Monkeydad 09-17-2009 01:34 PM

Many of us agree:

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/redskins-locker-room/31609-randle-el-still-useful.html[/url]

Monkeydad 09-17-2009 01:36 PM

[quote=takethecake;590368]and if he learns to throw the ball away when the trick plays go awry...[/quote]

He has a good track record on plays where he gets to pass the ball, we can't forget that because of one bad decision.

NYCskinfan82 09-17-2009 02:20 PM

It's like Zorn said in his interview teams will have film on ARE in the slot and if they try to stop him someone else has to step forward meaning you can't game plan for one person there's enough balls for everyone. ARE did look good the slot suits him lovely.

HTTR.

The Goat 09-17-2009 10:23 PM

[quote=BleedBurgundy;590672]regarding him taking a dive prior to contact, I wonder if that's not something that Saunders taught him. I remember all of the ram's receivers from their "greatest show on turf" days doing the same thing.[/quote]

That's interesting man. I laugh all game at ARL because he nearly collapses once a defender gets near him...but realistically he's way too small to break any tackles so I can't say I blame him for saving his body. No doubt it equates to fewer injuries too so it's sort of a plus for the offense overall.

The Goat 09-17-2009 10:29 PM

[quote=CrazyCanuck;590694]I think ARE gets a bad rap here. I'm not sure why he was knocked out of the #2 slot to begin with. The guy is dangerous and more importantly he's a veteran and knows how to get open and make a play when we need him (see Giants game).

Who are these guys Kelly, Thomas, Davis that everyone talks about?? So far this group has been USELESS. How many more weeks until we can declare them busts and move on??

Did I read that Kelly is our "Plaxico type"?!?!? LOL The 2 names should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

Sorry dont mean to be a pessimist, and I do hope at least one of these guys can step up and contribute. But I find ARE gets thrown under the bus while we treat these 3 like they are the 2nd coming of the fun bunch.[/quote]

It's a good point that ARL is far more consistent getting open than the rest of our WR corp. Honestly I don't expect that to change w/ Moss' penchant for taking plays, or even whole games, off and the simple fact our other wide outs are being taught by Hixon. ARL will be a critical asset in moving the ball between the 20 yard lines until we 1) bring in another veteran WR who knows what he's doing 2) bring in a legit WR coach who can teach rookies to run proper routes, create separation and position their body to block the defender and make the catch.