Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Around the NFL: NFL Offseason (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64813)

Chief X_Phackter 03-09-2021 02:15 AM

Re: Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

[quote=Scalper;1278702]I'm assuming no competent agent would allow a restructure that lowers salary, in which case it is simply more signing bonus and perhaps added years, for most players, given that only guaranteed money really matters, taking future pay in the present is a good deal, especially if no added years. Cowboys just mortgaging future.

Teams add voidable years all the time, it lowers the annual average of the signing bonus cap hit and thus provides cap relief. In English it usually just means dead money in the future, like the recent Rothlis-raper deal.[/quote]

$66 mil signing bonus (NFL record), and $75 mil in the first year (NFL record). Great job DP.

SkinzWin 03-09-2021 05:48 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;1278700]How. Can. They. Afford. That.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk[/quote]

Because Jurrah got fat stacks of 💵 and by front loading signing bonus money up front in the contract, you can get a huge pay out but still only have a nominal cap hit in base salary.

AnonEmouse 03-09-2021 07:48 AM

Don't think it matters how much cash Jerruh has, he can only spend what the cap allows. Yeah, he can underpay, but he can't overpay.

Yes the structure does allow a big up front pay-out, but it's still mortgaging the future for the team; win now or not, definitely pain later.

CRedskinsRule 03-09-2021 07:53 AM

[QUOTE=AnonEmouse;1278722]Don't think it matters how much cash Jerruh has, he can only spend what the cap allows. Yeah, he can underpay, but he can't overpay.

Yes the structure does allow a big up front pay-out, but it's still mortgaging the future for the team; win now or not, definitely pain later.[/QUOTE]That is how it is supposed to work, but the reality is it usually just takes a good accountant's brain to keep the cap from causing issues. I am really curious to see if this year's cap decline really messes up teams like the Saints and Rams, or if they play number games to offset what should be insurmountable cap deficits.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ruhskins 03-09-2021 08:10 AM

[quote=SkinzWin;1278718]Because Jurrah got fat stacks of 💵 and by front loading signing bonus money up front in the contract, you can get a huge pay out but still only have a nominal cap hit in base salary.[/quote]

Well, according to Overthecap, the Cowpukes are a $1 mil over the cap. No matter how much money Jerry has, he still going to have to restructure contracts and cut players to make things work this season.

Defensewins 03-09-2021 08:22 AM

Cowboys might regret making Dak the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL when he is not the 2nd best QB on the field. Cowboys have blown most their cap on one side of the ball - offense. Time will tell.

skinsfaninok 03-09-2021 08:23 AM

[quote=Defensewins;1278730]Cowboys might regret making Dak the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL when he is not the 2nd best QB on the field. Cowboys have blown most their cap on one side of the ball - offense. Time will tell.[/quote]

Yeah i think he's a top 10 QB but he's not ELITE

MTK 03-09-2021 08:28 AM

Being the top paid has never been about being the top guy. It was his turn to get paid.

punch it in 03-09-2021 09:31 AM

Here we go with the Cowboys are going to the Superbowl again. It is comical at this point. Every fuckin year they are going to the Superbowl for 20 years now. Why this time? Because they got Dak Prescott? The same guy who hasn’t sniffed a Superbowl for five years? The same guy who has won one playoff game in five years? But now coming off an injury with the same shit defense and shit coach is suddenly heading to Disney world? The same guy who was 2-3 before he got hurt last year? Wtf am I missing? You would think they signed Aaron Rodgers, and an entire new defense yesterday. Gtfoh with this bullshit.

skinsfaninok 03-09-2021 09:34 AM

Dallas will always get the love, its the STAR effect

punch it in 03-09-2021 09:43 AM

Around the NFL: NFL Offseason

[QUOTE=skinsfaninok;1278744]Dallas will always get the love, its the STAR effect[/QUOTE]

I understand their fan base, but im listening to NY radio, and talking heads that are not Dallas fans and they are acting like Dallas just made some huge move. Dak is good no doubt, but we have seen five years of him and this team fall waaaay short of expectations. Their defense is absolute trash. McCarthy is a joke.
2-3 and got so lucky against Atlanta. Could have easily been 1-4 last time we saw this same team that is now on their way to the promised land. Um? Ok.

Ruhskins 03-09-2021 09:47 AM

[quote=MTK;1278732]Being the top paid has never been about being the top guy. It was his turn to get paid.[/quote]

Exactly. He'll be the top paid guy until the next QB contract comes along.

BaltimoreSkins 03-09-2021 09:56 AM

[quote=Ruhskins;1278748]Exactly. He'll be the top paid guy until the next QB contract comes along.[/quote]

Lamar Jackson come on down you are the next contestant on "time to get paid"

mooby 03-09-2021 10:08 AM

I'm a little surprised the cap staying flat/going down is not going to have an effect on new contracts signed this year. Cowboys basically played this like the cap is going to keep going up.

MTK 03-09-2021 10:12 AM

[quote=mooby;1278751]I'm a little surprised the cap staying flat/going down is not going to have an effect on new contracts signed this year. [B]Cowboys basically played this like the cap is going to keep going up[/B].[/quote]

99.999999% chance it does with the next TV deals, this year is the only true unknown