Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   34th Overall Pick (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55913)

celts32 01-21-2014 09:31 AM

Re: 34th Overall Pick

[quote=GTripp0012;1056537]It's one thing if you think Amerson just can't cut it at this level, but you can't draft a guy, retain his coordinator and position coach, give him significant playing time a rookie, and then not put him in the starting lineup in year two if he's still in your plans. If Amerson can play, he needs to start. If he can't...then that was a really costly pick.[/quote]

I agree he should start but they can't go into the season counting on him as their #1 CB. They need to either resign Hall or add a free agent like Talib.

GTripp0012 01-21-2014 10:41 AM

[quote=celts32;1056584]I agree he should start but they can't go into the season counting on him as their #1 CB. They need to either resign Hall or add a free agent like Talib.[/quote]I agree with this.

Starry Plough 01-21-2014 10:44 AM

I imagine the secondary will be made a priority in FA.

As for Amerson, I think he has the potential to be a very solid starter at the very least. Sure he got burned on a few occasions like any rookie CB, but he also showed he could make some big plays too. The talent is certainly there if he can put it together. I recall reading this leading up to the draft last year, “scouts are impressed with his competitive drive to get better, showing vast improvement between his freshman and sophomore seasons. And the coaching staff says there is no problem keeping Amerson hungry, as he is one of the top practice players each week.”, which is reassuring enough to suggest he’ll be the first to look to how he can make the necessary improvements.

On a side note, Aaron Donald allegedly looked like a beast on the first day of Senior Bowl practice. Allegedly made Cyril Richardson (who I only note due to him being mentioned in other posts) look foolish on 4 separate occasions. Be interesting to see what we do if he’s still on the board in the 2nd.

skinsfan69 01-21-2014 10:47 AM

How old is Amerson? 21 or 22? He more than showed that he can hold his own as a rookie. Yeah he had some growing pains but he's got the skills to be a top player at his position. Plus he's 6'2 or 6'3? I think we have a building block there. We just need a few more like him in this upcoming draft.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-21-2014 10:53 AM

I would have agreed, but after looking up some of his stats, he was way worse than it came off to me. Maybe it was the fact Josh Wilson got bent over every other play, but I read something that Amerson gave the highest yards per catch of any other DB. If anything, I remember him playing really well the last 3-4 games, so hopefully the upward trend continues.

GTripp0012 01-21-2014 10:55 AM

I think the retention of the defensive coaching staff is the best thing to happen to Amerson.

We're also going to need to invest in some man cover guys. Amerson is an obvious target when the Skins are in man to man coverage. Not that I don't trust him or he can't improve, but offenses are going to scheme all week to try to get one on one matchups against Amerson.

I think there's only likely to be one pick spent in the secondary, somewhere between the 3rd and 5th rounds. They will go get a corner, and probably a safety in free agency. But I also think the secondary is much less of an issue from a personnel perspective without the Great Shanahan Zone Coverage Mandate of 2010-13.

GTripp0012 01-21-2014 10:57 AM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;1056597]I would have agreed, but after looking up some of his stats, he was way worse than it came off to me. Maybe it was the fact Josh Wilson got bent over every other play, but I read something that Amerson gave the highest yards per catch of any other DB. If anything, I remember him playing really well the last 3-4 games, so hopefully the upward trend continues.[/quote]This is essentially accurate, and why I'm saying he needs statistical improvement.

In defense of Amerson, a lot of the bad completions he gave up came way back in Week 2, when Aaron Rodgers found that wound and just kept pressing on it. Without that game, his season is not great, but not out of line among rookies.

Starry Plough 01-21-2014 11:04 AM

Pro Football Focus had this to say going into Week 15,

“The Redskins drafted David Amerson in the second round to be a long, physical corner to play on the outside. However, what they got is a rookie cornerback who has struggled with the pro game — Amerson is the eighth-lowest graded cornerback this season. The most worrying part of the Redskins’ secondary has been the safety play.

I’m not overly concerned though as I’m more surprised when a rookie CB excels tbh. They’re picked on for a reason and when you have to face seasoned vet’s like Manning, Stafford, Rodgers and Ryan amongst others, then it’ll be a steep learning curve. For me though, Amerson’s struggles have to be considered alongside not just the mentioned safety issues, but perhaps more importanly the lack of consistent pressure up front. Even average QB’s will find a target if they’re given enough time to go through their reads after all and if the D can be revamped between the draft and FA, then we should hopefully see vast improvements all round.

Chico23231 01-21-2014 11:07 AM

[quote=Starry Plough;1056601]Pro Football Focus had this to say going into Week 15,

“The Redskins drafted David Amerson in the second round to be a long, physical corner to play on the outside. However, what they got is a rookie cornerback who has struggled with the pro game — Amerson is the eighth-lowest graded cornerback this season. The most worrying part of the Redskins’ secondary has been the safety play.

I’m not overly concerned though as I’m more surprised when a rookie CB excels tbh. They’re picked on for a reason and when you have to face seasoned vet’s like Manning, Stafford, Rodgers and Ryan amongst others, then it’ll be a steep learning curve. For me though, Amerson’s struggles have to be considered alongside not just the mentioned safety issues, but perhaps more importanly the lack of consistent pressure up front. Even average QB’s will find a target if they’re given enough time to go through their reads after all and if the D can be revamped between the draft and FA, then we should hopefully see vast improvements all round.[/quote]

Is this the same place which claimed top ten Oline? Amerson had ups and down. No way he should be the #1 CB next year, thats laughable and the FO isnt that stupid. I thought Amerson flashed pretty well. If your worried about Amerson, you are worried about the wrong things about this defense.

Starry Plough 01-21-2014 11:24 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1056604]Is this the same place which claimed top ten Oline? Amerson had ups and down. No way he should be the #1 CB next year, thats laughable and the FO isnt that stupid. I thought Amerson flashed pretty well. If your worried about Amerson, you are worried about the wrong things about this defense.[/quote]

Top 3 actually. ;-)

I don’t consider PFF nor any other statistical site to be gospel admittedly. I referenced them merely to provide a bit of perspective on Amerson’s positives and negatives. To reiterate, I believe he’ll work out just fine. He’s a smart kid with a great work ethic. Couple that with his natural skill-set and he’ll hopefully be a very solid contributor for the years to come and [I]then[/I] maybe after he gets another year or two under his belt we can start talking about him being the leader of our secondary.

Lotus 01-21-2014 11:39 AM

[quote=celts32;1056584]I agree he should start but they can't go into the season counting on him as their #1 CB. They need to either resign Hall or add a free agent like Talib.[/quote]

I completely agree. If nothing else, you can never have enough good corners.

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-21-2014 11:41 AM

Hell I want both Rak and Byrd.

SirLK26 01-21-2014 12:19 PM

[quote=redskins5044;1056550]I agree that they need to make some changes on the O-line, but the biggest protection to RG3 is going to be RG3.[B] He has to get better at being a QB and making adjustments, I think some of those big hits he took and sacks fall on his shoulders[/B]. Hopefully these coaches can get him to where he needs to be, he has the work ethic so only time will tell.

So at #34 you take BPA at position of need.[/quote]

True that, but you can't expect a 2nd year QB to be as good as Aaron Rodgers at moving around the pocket, finding the open man, and getting the ball out. That's something that comes with time(and a line that can actually form a pocket). RG3 would take a huge statistical step forward if he had WRs who could get open, because he's not good enough yet to throw them open. He would also take a big step forward if the O-line could form a pocket he could work from, something it never did. RG3 does have work to do, like any young QB, but it's not all on him.

SirLK26 01-21-2014 12:21 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1056611]Hell I want both Rak and Byrd.[/quote]

Hell, I want Orakpo, Byrd, Verner, Mack, and Decker.

TheMalcolmConnection 01-21-2014 12:37 PM

Biggest thing we have to remember that while we CAN go a bit nuts in FA, it's not going to let us sign 4-5 big-time guys. Assuming we resign Hall, resign Riley, MAYBE get a Byrd/Ware, MAYBE resign Hall, we're probably going to be a bit more limited than we'd like to think.

CC or Schneed could answer it better based on speculation, but I think we could get 1-2 top quality guys and maybe 2-3 more depth guys.