Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Other teams cuts - and the obvious should we get them question. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=38205)

CRedskinsRule 08-31-2010 02:16 PM

Other teams cuts - and the obvious should we get them question.

Well, I didn't really expect any cuts today that would make me say "Hey Let's sign him" or Championship. But Derrick Ward was cut by Tampa Bay a year after giving him a ridiculous contract. And we could use a 3rd running back (really...) so "Hey Lets sign him" and then Championship!

Any other cuts catching someone's eyes? Any thoughts on the current round of cuts?

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 02:30 PM

Re: Other teams cuts - and the obvious should we get them question.

Two words...no, you know what, just one word because dude's on a one name basis...Marko!

scowan 08-31-2010 02:33 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;726039]Two words...no, you know what, just one word because dude's on a one name basis...Marko![/quote]

Yes, Marko! he is our big, tall, Kelly replacement.... someone tell me why he didn't make the team last year?

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 02:47 PM

Someone tell me why Marko's been cut by three teams in less than six months

wilsowilso 08-31-2010 02:50 PM

It took Shanahan about forty three minutes to cut Mitchell.

That tells me everything I need to know.

Shanahan knows what an NFL player looks like and it took him no time at all to release the guy.

MTK 08-31-2010 02:52 PM

Why is Patrick Ramsey not Joe Montana?

dmek25 08-31-2010 02:54 PM

ask offiss

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 02:59 PM

But wait...Shanahan once signed Patrick Ramsey!...maybe he was drunk

SouperMeister 08-31-2010 03:02 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;726055]Someone tell me why Marko's been cut by three teams in less than six months[/quote]Marko's available again? Championship!!!

Dirtbag59 08-31-2010 03:27 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;726055]Someone tell me why Marko's been cut by three teams in less than six months[/quote]

Well not that the personnel people are wrong, but you have to remember the fact that these guys frequently get fired for not being able to identify talent. Kurt Warner got cut by the Packers and turned away from a tryout by the Bears all after going undrafted. Ryan Leaf was the second pick in the draft. There's a laundry list from here to the moon of personnel people that messed up on players.

So to sum it up, just because Marko Mitchell has been juggled around the league doesn't mean he's a bad player.

ArtMonkDrillz 08-31-2010 03:31 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;726072]But wait...Shanahan once signed Patrick Ramsey!...maybe he was drunk[/quote]maybe he'll sign him again and then I can dust of my old Ramsey jersey for another season. The cycle will be complete.

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 03:31 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;726097]Well not that the personnel people are wrong, but you have to remember the fact that these guys frequently get fired for not being able to identify talent. Kurt Warner got cut by the Packers and turned away from a tryout by the Bears all after going undrafted. Ryan Leaf was the second pick in the draft. There's a laundry list from here to the moon of personnel people that messed up on players.

So to sum it up, just because Marko Mitchell has been juggled around the league doesn't mean he's a bad player.[/quote]

True...it could also mean that Mitchell just isn't all that good

GTripp0012 08-31-2010 03:36 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;726097]Well not that the personnel people are wrong, but you have to remember the fact that these guys frequently get fired for not being able to identify talent. Kurt Warner got cut by the Packers and turned away from a tryout by the Bears all after going undrafted. Ryan Leaf was the second pick in the draft. There's a laundry list from here to the moon of personnel people that messed up on players.

So to sum it up, just because Marko Mitchell has been juggled around the league doesn't mean he's a bad player.[/quote]Anthony Armstrong has been juggled from the Dolphins roster to the practice squad, he's been in the AFL, perhaps even the CFL? Anyway, he looks like the best receiver on our team based on three preseason games. He can get open in all three fields against starters.

Marko did in this preseason what he did in last preseason. I don't think anyone is exactly missing the boat on him (he's not better than Greg Camarillo, I don't think), but it would sure be nice to not have to look to the waiver wire to find competency to fill up our roster.

MTK 08-31-2010 03:38 PM

So to sum it up, just because Marko Mitchell has been juggled around the league doesn't mean he's a bad player.[/quote]

Sure there are exceptions. Personnel evaluation is not an exact science by any means. But I would say more often than not, a guy just isn't good enough.

dmek25 08-31-2010 03:43 PM

why don't we use this thread to put all of the guys that get cut, and should the skins take a look at them? just a thought

SBXVII 08-31-2010 03:48 PM

I also believe the player has to find the right system for his abilities. Example.... Armstrong. Simply put he was drafted cut bounced around the minor league picked up by Miami and put on the PS. Either the talent ahead of him was better, he needed to mature/develope, or he's found out this system works for him. In any event I'm glad we have him.

The other day when the Packers were playing the announcer said that the Packers have a lot of talent across the board and some will be cut which is why there were a lot of scouts at their game last week. I think WR was one of their spots that has a lot of talent in it.

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 03:53 PM

[quote=Mattyk;726109]Sure there are exceptions. Personnel evaluation is not an exact science by any means. But I would say more often than not, a guy just isn't good enough.[/quote]

Exactly. I have no doubt that Warner just didn't show enough to begin with. He got time in some lesser leagues and whatnot and ended up being good for a handful of years. Others carry a chip on their shoulder from being cut and dedicate themselves to their craft more than they had previously as well.

TheMalcolmConnection 08-31-2010 03:57 PM

Where's The Ade at these days?

MonkFan4Life 08-31-2010 04:04 PM

[quote=TheMalcolmConnection;726128]Where's The Ade at these days?[/quote]

Probably having a beer with Cliff Russel

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 04:07 PM

[quote=MonkFan4Life;726131]Probably having a beer with Cliff Russel[/quote]

ouch hah

Rich Tandler

No #Redskins draft picks cut yet but Shanny said yesterday if 1/2 of your picks make team you've had a good draft.

NYCskinfan82 08-31-2010 04:23 PM

I think MS said 50% not 1/2. LOL

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 04:26 PM

Marcus mason available!!! Ahhhh!!!!

SmootSmack 08-31-2010 04:45 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;726148]Marcus mason available!!! Ahhhh!!!![/quote]

All we need is Colt for the trifecta

Paintrain 08-31-2010 04:53 PM

[quote=tryfuhl;726148]Marcus mason available!!! Ahhhh!!!![/quote]

I just don't get why teams keep cutting future Hall of Famers..

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 05:02 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;726173]All we need is Colt for the trifecta[/quote]

they'll be the new Aikman/Irvin/Smith wherever they land, which might just be the UFL

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-31-2010 05:07 PM

[quote=NYCskinfan82;726144]I think MS said 50% not 1/2. LOL[/quote]

Whats the difference??

CRedskinsRule 08-31-2010 05:28 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;726197]Whats the difference??[/quote]
one is a percentage the other a fraction, geez what are they teaching in schools these days:soapbox:

:food-smil

Monkeydad 08-31-2010 06:09 PM

[B]I predict, Matt Leinart will be cut.[/B]

Derek Anderson beat him out already...Leinart has proven he's sucked. Skelton is next in line to start for Cards and will before the end of the year.

Also, do not want him.

Dirtbag59 08-31-2010 06:33 PM

[quote=Buster;726232][B]I predict, Matt Leinart will be cut.[/B]

Derek Anderson beat him out already...Leinart has proven he's sucked. Skelton is next in line to start for Cards and will before the end of the year.

Also, do not want him.[/quote]

I swear if I didn't know any better I would think that Leinart was having the same type of preseason as Mike Vick. How he doesn't at least get to start the season is beyond me. Is Derrick Anderson really that good? Has Matt Leinart really played that poorly that you have to resort to Derrick Anderson? Oh well, I guess congratulations are in order for the San Francisco 49ers who will surely win the NFC West. Kind of wish we were in that division.

Monkeydad 08-31-2010 06:59 PM

Derek Anderson has been SLIGHTLY better than him, but apparently Leinart's attitude since being moved back to #2 is causing issues too. Yes, he has been that bad...every chance he's gotten since he came into the league. Plus, they like Skelton.

DCtoAZ 08-31-2010 07:02 PM

Being out here in AZ the Leinart vs Anderson dilemma is all over the news .. i know i know it's a Redskins board but let me just say the Card's have been super fun to watch the last few years and I can't wait for the Skins' this Thursday .. Leinart is getting a raw deal IMO, the guy hasn't really had a chance to do anything this pre-season and when he has played he's looked OK for the most part .. Certainly DA has not looked like a freaking starter .. with Wells/Hightower & Fitz you'd think the Cards would get some more love ... I can't imagine if Fitz was on the Skins' .. he'd be hyped as the greatest player to ever live !! Come on now .. I predict Leinart will start week 1 .. Kinda like Warner starting over Leinart a few years ago, it was a last minute decision and paid off nicely..

HTTR

P.S. Arizona Cardinals will win NFC West for 3rd straight year playing Steelers football

AZ-9-7 .. NFC WEST

theJBexperience 08-31-2010 09:45 PM

What about picking up one of these Bills RBs when they're cut: Joique Bell or Chad Simpson? No way the Bills will keep all those RBs even if Fred Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are hurt. Those guys are running well behind a really poor OLine too. Might be worth a look in our new zone scheme especially since the run game has tanked since the opener against them.

tryfuhl 08-31-2010 10:45 PM

I think that we have enough of a logjam at RB that we won't be looking to add, unless it's to the PS

over the mountain 09-01-2010 12:18 AM

yess

EARTHQUAKE2689 09-01-2010 02:28 AM

[quote=Buster;726244]Derek Anderson has been SLIGHTLY better than him, but apparently Leinart's attitude since being moved back to #2 is causing issues too. Yes, he has been that bad...every chance he's gotten since he came into the league. Plus, they like Skelton.[/quote]

Really?? Slightly better? I would say he's been considerably worse. I cant for the life of me find a legitimate reason for Leinart not starting week one.

SmootSmack 09-01-2010 06:27 AM

I think DA is one of the most undeserving starting QBs in the league. Not entirely sure Leinart is the answer, but I'd rather take my chances with him than Anderson.

skinsfan69 09-01-2010 07:02 AM

[quote=GTripp0012;726108]Anthony Armstrong has been juggled from the Dolphins roster to the practice squad, he's been in the AFL, perhaps even the CFL? [B]Anyway, he looks like the best receiver on our team based on three preseason games. He can get open in all three fields against starters.[/B]

Marko did in this preseason what he did in last preseason. I don't think anyone is exactly missing the boat on him (he's not better than Greg Camarillo, I don't think), but it would sure be nice to not have to look to the waiver wire to find competency to fill up our roster.[/quote]

Let's take a wait and see approach about Armstrong. There is a reason why both Mitchell and Armstrong have bounced around. He's had a good pre season but let's see if he's still getting open come week one.

skinsfan69 09-01-2010 07:06 AM

[quote=DCtoAZ;726247]Being out here in AZ the Leinart vs Anderson dilemma is all over the news .. i know i know it's a Redskins board but let me just say the Card's have been super fun to watch the last few years and I can't wait for the Skins' this Thursday .. Leinart is getting a raw deal IMO, the guy hasn't really had a chance to do anything this pre-season and when he has played he's looked OK for the most part .. Certainly DA has not looked like a freaking starter .. with Wells/Hightower & Fitz you'd think the Cards would get some more love ... I can't imagine if Fitz was on the Skins' .. he'd be hyped as the greatest player to ever live !! Come on now .. I predict Leinart will start week 1 .. Kinda like Warner starting over Leinart a few years ago, it was a last minute decision and paid off nicely..

HTTR

P.S. Arizona Cardinals will win NFC West for 3rd straight year playing Steelers football

AZ-9-7 .. NFC WEST[/quote]

The word is out on Leinart. He's not a leader and Ken W. doesn't like the guy. They're judging the guy on an entire off season, not just a few pre season games.

MTK 09-01-2010 07:56 AM

Leinart has been there for 4 years, I think they have a good idea of what he's all about. It isn't just about how he's played this preseason.

SmootSmack 09-01-2010 08:14 AM

Schefter reports that the Bills, Giants, and Raiders have inquired about trading for Leinart. The Raiders? Campbell, Gradkowski, Boller, Brennan, and Leinart...you know what they say, when you have 5 QBs you have none