Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   sam bradford (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=40480)

MTK 12-15-2010 12:15 PM

Re: sam bradford

[quote=SmootSmack;769133]Agreed, because I'm not sure I would really classify Flacco and Cutler as franchise QBs

And Dirtbag can't understand why Whitehurst isn't on the list

I think I said it a few weeks back. [B]I believe Bradford vs. Ryan could be the Manning vs. Brady of the next decade[/B].[/quote]

Definitely could go that way

skinster 12-15-2010 12:18 PM

[quote=Mattyk;769128]There are always plenty of quality QBs available outside of the top 10[/quote]

true, but odds are that those guys don't hit as often. Since 2004 the only two franchise qbs I see not drafted in the top 11 are schaub, cassel, and rogers (no I dont count flacco or freeman...franchise qbs win games, not manage them)
The franchise qbs I see taken in the top 11 are roethesberger, manning, rivers, bradford, ryan, cutler (the guy gets hate, but had one bad year...he belongs), and possibly stafford (sanchez does not belong...he does not have what it takes).

I'd say having a top 10 pick is pretty important to getting a franchise qb...especially because Id say schaub and cassel are the two qbs on this list that I'd want least to be my franchise qb.

SkinzWin 12-15-2010 12:20 PM

I already know what is going to happen. Bet the farm for Andrew Luck. Watch.

MTK 12-15-2010 12:25 PM

[quote=skinster;769138]true, but odds are that those guys don't hit as often. Since 2004 the only two franchise qbs I see not drafted in the top 11 are schaub, cassel, and rogers (no I dont count flacco or freeman...franchise qbs win games, not manage them)
The franchise qbs I see taken in the top 11 are roethesberger, manning, rivers, bradford, ryan, cutler (the guy gets hate, but had one bad year...he belongs), and possibly stafford (sanchez does not belong...he does not have what it takes).

I'd say having a top 10 pick is pretty important to getting a franchise qb...especially because Id say schaub and cassel are the two qbs on this list that I'd want least to be my franchise qb.[/quote]

Well, you're dishing out a lot of subjective opinion here, and why is top 11 the cutoff, I thought we were talking top 10? Any why the small sample size of only going back to 2004?

SirClintonPortis 12-15-2010 12:27 PM

[quote=skinster;769138]true, but odds are that those guys don't hit as often. Since 2004 the only two franchise qbs I see not drafted in the top 11 are schaub, cassel, and rogers (no I dont count flacco or freeman...franchise qbs win games, not manage them)

I'd say having a top 10 pick is pretty important to getting a franchise qb...especially because Id say schaub and cassel are the two qbs on this list that I'd want least to be my franchise qb.[/quote]
Freeman has developed quite a reputation of being a 4th quarter comeback guy, and he also came close to put the Bucs in prime position for a comeback Atlanta a couple weeks ago, only to be stuffed because they couldn't punch it in with Blount.

This was in October:
[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/24/josh-freeman-pulls-off-another-fourth-quarter-comeback/]Josh Freeman pulls off another fourth quarter comeback | ProFootballTalk[/url]

skinsfaninok 12-15-2010 12:42 PM

I have No comment

skinster 12-15-2010 12:45 PM

[quote=Mattyk;769142]Well, you're dishing out a lot of subjective opinion here, and why is top 11 the cutoff, I thought we were talking top 10? Any why the small sample size of only going back to 2004?[/quote]

I made it 11 because 11 is close enough to 10 and roethlessberger and cutler were 11 while all the rest were top 5.
The small sample size is because the league is constantly evolving. I can't quantify how much the talent evaluation process of quarterbacks and the types that fit into what systems has evolved in the last 10 years, but I assume it is too much to accurately use a sample size any larger than 6-7 years.

30gut 12-15-2010 12:46 PM

C-Jason Brown
LT-Smith
RT-Rogers Saffold

RB-Stephen Jackson

Plus Pat Shurmur at OC guiding a young QB

Then you also have to look at Colt McCoy also he's playing quite well in his limited starts

celts32 12-15-2010 12:46 PM

I would not call Cassel or Stafford a franchise QB just yet. Not enough of a sample of great play.

MTK 12-15-2010 12:50 PM

[quote=skinster;769154][B]I made it 11 because 11 is close enough to 10 and roethlessberger and cutler were 11 while all the rest were top 5.[/B]
The small sample size is because the league is constantly evolving. I can't quantify how much the talent evaluation process of quarterbacks and the types that fit into what systems has evolved in the last 10 years, but I assume it is too much to accurately use a sample size any larger than 6-7 years.[/quote]

lol how convenient for your argument

skinster 12-15-2010 12:54 PM

[quote=30gut;769155]C-Jason Brown
LT-Smith
RT-Rogers Saffold

RB-Stephen Jackson

Plus Pat Shurmur at OC guiding a young QB

Then you also have to look at Colt McCoy also he's playing quite well in his limited starts[/quote]

Roger saffold is a rookie 2nd round pick

Stephen Jackson is having a terrible year...the rams rushing attack averages 3.8 yards per rush, and has 7 total tds.

Who is pat shurmur? I googled him and on the first page there is a movement to get him fired.

Lets not get carried away on colt mccoy...he had 3 tds in 5 starts, and averages under 200 yards per game.

SirClintonPortis 12-15-2010 12:59 PM

I'm pretty sure Jason Smith is their right tackle and Saffold their left tackle.

skinster 12-15-2010 01:01 PM

[quote=Mattyk;769160]lol how convenient for your argument[/quote]

"Top 10" is an estimated term. Its only used to indicate a high pick. 11 I'd consider a high pick while the next highest picked "franchise qb" was aaron rogers at 24. I'd say that's a pretty big gap that proves my point.

But just for the record, now that you have me thinking about it, I'd have to say the top third is high, the middle third is middle, and the last third is last. I'd say that close enough can count for either, so I'll say the cutoffs are roughly at 10-12 and at 20-22.

12thMan 12-15-2010 01:04 PM

Heard a stat the other day, if things hold up, 10 of the 12 QBs in the playoffs were first rounders, with the exception of Drew Brees (I believe the first pick in the 2nd round) and Tom Brady.

Although there are a fair share of scrubs that haven't panned out, there's something to be said about drafting a QB with your first pick.

firstdown 12-15-2010 01:09 PM

[quote=Mattyk;769121]Before it's too late? Is the supply of franchise QBs out there running out? :cheeky-sm[/quote]

You didn't hear that there is only two years left for QB's. Who knows what will happen after that.