Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dirtbag359 Presents The Preseason Battle Poll (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=24395)

SmootSmack 08-08-2008 08:08 PM

Dirtbag359 Presents The Preseason Battle Poll

Which preseason battle are you most interested in? It could be because you really like one of the players, could be because you think it has the most impact on the team, could be because you think it's the closest competition

I'm going with Rock vs Mason because it could mean the end of a "core Redskin"s career here

Dirtbag59 08-08-2008 08:14 PM

Re: Dirtbag359 Presents The Preseason Battle Poll

Lol, what did I do?

GTripp0012 08-08-2008 08:18 PM

Rob Jackson vs. Erasmus James vs. Chris Wilson because it allowed me to vote for 'other'.

Seriously, I think that's the most critical of them all. Unless Colt Brennan vs. Todd Collins counts ;)

GTripp0012 08-08-2008 08:32 PM

I think Moore and Horton both make the team. Vernon Fox is the odd man out.

SmootSmack 08-08-2008 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;462925]Rob Jackson vs. Erasmus James vs. Chris Wilson because it allowed me to vote for 'other'.

Seriously, I think that's the most critical of them all. Unless Colt Brennan vs. Todd Collins counts ;)[/QUOTE]

That's a good one. I just don't know how much James will get to compete for that this summer. Plus, I think (hope?) Wilson is a lock

WaldSkins 08-08-2008 08:36 PM

Cartwright vs Mason. They both make the squad, but who will be the #3 RB.

Jamaican'Skin 08-08-2008 08:55 PM

Gotta go with the WR battle. With both second round picks on the sideline and hindered from learning the system, the 4th WR position is critical

GMScud 08-09-2008 12:20 AM

[quote=SmootSmack;462929]That's a good one. I just don't know how much James will get to compete for that this summer. Plus, I think (hope?) Wilson is a lock[/quote]

I'd say Chris Wilson is a lock. He's a solid outside speed rusher but situational at best as of now. I think he can learn a ton from Jason Taylor. Rob Jackson may be an odd man out, although I'm pulling for him. I think Mason v Cartwright is gonna be a good one, and the WR shuffle should be interesting. If we keep 6, I'd say Moss, El, Kelly, Thomas, and Thrash are locks, with Mann and Mix battling for the last spot...

The Goat 08-09-2008 01:52 AM

Ummmm... I think I'll just make one up for fun. As preseason continues Jansen's decreased skill level and arthritic body become more apparent. Zorn, not having the sentimental ties w/ Jansen other coaches might, encourages Buges to work Chad R. into right tackle more and more. By Sept. 4 it's a serious question which guy will start.

Dirtbag59 08-09-2008 02:57 AM

[quote=The Goat;462960]Ummmm... I think I'll just make one up for fun. As preseason continues Jansen's decreased skill level and arthritic body become more apparent. Zorn, not having the sentimental ties w/ Jansen other coaches might, encourages Buges to work Chad R. into right tackle more and more. By Sept. 4 it's a serious question which guy will start.[/quote]

Jansens decreased skill level? Ta Loca decresed skill level!!!! I mean I think Rhinehart is going to be good, but Jansen still has a few good years left. And as far as Zorn not having sentimental ties with Jansen, well aren't you forgetting about Joe Bugel? The guy who named the line the Dirtbags after taking one look at Jansen, and in turn inspired the greatest screen name of all time? If you want to include Rhinehart in a preseason battle I'd say you pit him against Kendall.

My preseason battle is probably the least inspired battle in the history of preseason battles. Brooks vs Frost. I mean Rock vs Mason is interesting but Rock is the teams KR and ST Ace so Mason needs to show that he has the potential to be a runner in this league one day. In my opinion Rock is going to make the team but it's not necessarily going to lead to Mason getting cut . Horton and Moore play different positions as far as I know (SS and FS respectively) and so far both are making a name for themselves in camp. However Brooks vs Frost is the most likely (99.999999999%) to lead to one of the two being cut before the season begins.

dmek25 08-09-2008 08:03 AM

i wasn't worried about Jansen at all, until that game. he looked god awful slow. maybe goat is on to something

MTK 08-09-2008 10:10 AM

Frost vs Brooks is the only real battle going on to me. I don't think Rock's job is in serious jeopardy.

SmootSmack 08-09-2008 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;462961]Jansens decreased skill level? Ta Loca decresed skill level!!!! I mean I think Rhinehart is going to be good, but Jansen still has a few good years left. And as far as Zorn not having sentimental ties with Jansen, well aren't you forgetting about Joe Bugel? The guy who named the line the Dirtbags after taking one look at Jansen, and in turn inspired the greatest screen name of all time? If you want to include Rhinehart in a preseason battle I'd say you pit him against Kendall.

My preseason battle is probably the least inspired battle in the history of preseason battles. Brooks vs Frost. I mean Rock vs Mason is interesting but Rock is the teams KR and ST Ace so Mason needs to show that he has the potential to be a runner in this league one day. In my opinion Rock is going to make the team but it's not necessarily going to lead to Mason getting cut . Horton and Moore play different positions as far as I know (SS and FS respectively) and so far both are making a name for themselves in camp. However Brooks vs Frost is the most likely (99.999999999%) to lead to one of the two being cut before the season begins.[/QUOTE]

A George Lopez reference! Awesome!

Dgreen101 08-09-2008 02:28 PM

Colt Brennan vs. Todd Collins seems like the best match-up right now, even if it's not for a starting position.

backrow 08-09-2008 03:03 PM

I also went with Frost/Brooks. One has to go, and it seems to be the subject of many blogs.

12thMan 08-09-2008 03:23 PM

I think it's Brooks v. Frost. And it will be a close one at that.

Mason v. Rock, don't see it. Unless Mason clearly overwhelms and has a few eye opening performances, I don't see him making the team. Even if Mason is slightly better than Rock this year, Rock still makes the team.

As far as Chad, I think it's possible the staff would eventually have him take over for Pete Kendall not Jansen. Maybe this is just me, but I think Chad could be our replacement for letting Dockery go a couple of seasons ago. By the by, let's keep an eye on D.Docks tonight.

That Guy 08-09-2008 03:47 PM

right now punter is the only real battle, but i mean, i'd be shocked if the rookie didn't get it. we got a steal on him.

Cowell 08-10-2008 02:09 AM

I had to go with the punters. It's the only battle for a starting job... all the other battles are for the last roster spot at the position.

firstdown 08-11-2008 01:24 PM

[quote=Dgreen101;463021]Colt Brennan vs. Todd Collins seems like the best match-up right now, even if it's not for a starting position.[/quote]
If you ask me after Saturday night when Colt played 2nd stringers we can now see why he was there in the 6th round. I hope he does great and could some day challange for 2nd string but its not happening this year.

skinsnut 08-12-2008 01:33 PM

I went with Frost/Brooks because in my opinion, it is the only legitamate battle listed that is close

Rock will stay...if Mason makes it they wont cut Rock
Horton has a huge leg up on Moore...so thats not that close.
Mann and Toler are cuts, Mix is likely cut too....as well as McMullen....only he has a shot in my mind.

skinsnut 08-12-2008 01:40 PM

[QUOTE=GTripp0012;462925]Rob Jackson vs. Erasmus James vs. Chris Wilson because it allowed me to vote for 'other'.
[/QUOTE]

Gtripp has a good point here.
The real battle is for backup ends.
I want James and Wilson and Evans as Backup Ends.

Regarding Jansen vs the Rook.
not this year but perhaps next.
I agree Jansen should be watched cause he was fairly lame last preseason too when people wanted to give Wade a shot at his job.

mlmpetert 08-12-2008 05:37 PM

Okay artical on McMullen v. Mix

Is there any affiliation between warpathinsiders and thewarpath?

[url=http://was.scout.com/2/777790.html]Scout.com: Mix vs. McMullen[/url]

freddyg12 08-12-2008 05:51 PM

there are actually a few good battles going on. JLC's latest blog raises concerns w/C. Wilson. I think he has a point. Wilson was just an outside rusher last year, didn't even have an inside move really. I hope he makes it but DE is crowded. (funny to say that after all of us saying we needed to draft DEs for the last few years).

The wr & safety spots are crowded too. I don't know about Jansen losing his starting job by the first game, but I can definitely see it happening by mid season. I don't think Heyer is really ready for it though. It may depend on where they want to plug rinehart in if they're that comfortable w/him. I can see him taking kendall's job too, as was mentioned earlier.

SmootSmack 08-12-2008 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=mlmpetert;463876]Okay artical on McMullen v. Mix

Is there any affiliation between warpathinsiders and thewarpath?

[url=http://was.scout.com/2/777790.html]Scout.com: Mix vs. McMullen[/url][/QUOTE]

None

ChillWill 08-12-2008 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25;462965]i wasn't worried about Jansen at all, until that game. he looked god awful slow. maybe goat is on to something[/QUOTE]

Jansen is fine going forward on running plays but his lateral movement makes him look like he's got ankle weights on. They are going to have to help him on passing plays.

dmvskinzfan08 08-12-2008 10:30 PM

I think Rock vs Mason. But something is telling me that they are going to keep both of them. I know its only preseason but I like what I see from Mason and the Rock is a rock on special teams. But saying that I just think Mason has "it" and I listen closely to every press conference Zorn has and he has been talking highly of Mason right now. But if Devin Thomas is healthy I think you need to watch out for him as a returner. Just a thought.

dmvskinzfan08 08-13-2008 08:10 PM

Seriously, I think that's the most critical of them all. Unless Colt Brennan vs. Todd Collins counts ;)[/QUOTE]

How many defensive ends do you think they will keep? I like Demetric Evans and Chris Wilson. But what if Rob Jackson continues to shine and Erasmus looks good this preseason?..Obviously they thought it was a weak position. I think they brought in another DE this week. But seriously. I think James will make the team and Rob too. I love the fact that we keep core Redskins..But I think its about playing the best player. I guess its a major battle until the cut deadline arrives..I dont really know how to feel about this one...Eventhough Erasmus hasn't played much he's looking good in pratice so far and Rob has looked good in preseason games..

We just need to improve our pass rush drastically. Jason Taylor will help a lot. But I think the new blood was brought in for a reason.

GTripp0012 08-13-2008 08:23 PM

[quote=dmvskinzfan08;464222]How many defensive ends do you think they will keep? I like Demetric Evans and Chris Wilson. But what if Rob Jackson continues to shine and Erasmus looks good this preseason?..Obviously they thought it was a weak position. I think they brought in another DE this week. But seriously. I think James will make the team and Rob too. I love the fact that we keep core Redskins..But I think its about playing the best player. I guess its a major battle until the cut deadline arrives..I dont really know how to feel about this one...Eventhough Erasmus hasn't played much he's looking good in pratice so far and Rob has looked good in preseason games..

We just need to improve our pass rush drastically. Jason Taylor will help a lot. But I think the new blood was brought in for a reason.[/quote]I think they are keeping five, and I think that if Rob Jackson continues to play well, I think Chris Wilson is the odd man out.

Chris Wilson was/is a great story. As a fan of a college football team in their conference, I can tell you flat out that Northwood College has no one in their program capable of achieving what Wilson did with the Redskin last season. But the skill set he brings isn't very hard to find, and though he probably has some good football ahead of him, we shouldn't feel like we are letting one get away if we let Chris Wilson go and he catches on with someone else.

I'll root for him wherever he goes, but I no longer think he's going to be with the Redskins at the end of this month.

prinzeofmoval 08-16-2008 11:47 PM

Colt vs Collins is the biggest one because when the stars, planets and moons align Colt will be our guy.

Ruhskins 08-16-2008 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=skinsnut;463826]Gtripp has a good point here.
The real battle is for backup ends.
I want James and Wilson and Evans as Backup Ends.

Regarding Jansen vs the Rook.
not this year but perhaps next.
I agree Jansen should be watched cause he was fairly lame last preseason too when people wanted to give Wade a shot at his job.[/QUOTE]

I think it is safe to say that Jackson is going to be on the practice squad, right?

Warren85Ellard 08-16-2008 11:54 PM

Rob Jackson will be on the final 53

GhettoDogAllStars 08-18-2008 02:40 PM

I gotta say, after seeing Rock with that 70+ yard carry against NY, the Rock v. Mason battle became more interesting. I mean, Rock looked really fast on that run -- much faster than I recall him running before. We all know he's a good ST'er. Plus, he's a long-time Redskin.

On the other hand, Mason seems to create more opportunities. He doesn't need a gaping hole to run through. I can't say anything about their blocking abilities -- I haven't seen them enough.

Unless Mason can take Rock's spot on ST, I don't think you can cut Rock in exchange for Mason. We'd basically be giving up a starter for a 3rd string RB. Perhaps we could keep both, but I don't think it would be wise because we'd lose somebody somewhere else.

I think it comes down to blocking. If Mason can match Betts in blocking, then ideally we trade Betts. It would suck to do that to him though, considering he took less money to stay here last time he re-signed (right?).

GhettoDogAllStars 08-19-2008 02:44 PM

FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[url=http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/url]

Dirtbag59 08-19-2008 02:52 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465492]FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html"]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/URL][/quote]

Damn, thats one we didn't see coming back in April. If someone suggested that they would have been laughed at and ridiculed. However I suggest that the team give Wilson some reps at OLB. If I remember right Wilson might have been an OLB in the CFL, then again don't hold me to that.

firstdown 08-19-2008 02:57 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465297]I gotta say, after seeing Rock with that 70+ yard carry against NY, the Rock v. Mason battle became more interesting. I mean, Rock looked really fast on that run -- much faster than I recall him running before. We all know he's a good ST'er. Plus, he's a long-time Redskin.

On the other hand, Mason seems to create more opportunities. He doesn't need a gaping hole to run through. I can't say anything about their blocking abilities -- I haven't seen them enough.

Unless Mason can take Rock's spot on ST, I don't think you can cut Rock in exchange for Mason. We'd basically be giving up a starter for a 3rd string RB. Perhaps we could keep both, but I don't think it would be wise because we'd lose somebody somewhere else.

I think it comes down to blocking. If Mason can match Betts in blocking, then ideally we trade Betts. It would suck to do that to him though, considering he took less money to stay here last time he re-signed (right?).[/quote]
Well if you look at just preseason Bett's is averaging more yards per carry and he has faced D's in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the game. Mason while he's look impressive has made most of his yards against scrubs and what would happen if he had to be the starter for a few games? Thats what we don't know about him but we do know that Bett's can carry the load. No way we get rid of Bett's.

EXoffender 08-19-2008 02:58 PM

I would say Cartwright vs Mason but, as I said before, if Mason isn't returning kickoffs he has little value. Mason does seem to be a better RB than Cartwright and it's likely that we can have WRs that return punts and kickoffs. I voted Horton vs Moore and this battle includes Vernon Fox since we are a little thin at S and we'll need more than a body who just plays special teams. A bold prediction is Horton and Moore making the team and Fox getting the ax. Richardson vs Tryon is aslso a heated one. One will be allocated to the pratice squad...

MTK 08-19-2008 03:11 PM

[quote=GhettoDogAllStars;465492]FWIW, JLa thinks Mason will make the roster, and Jackson and Wilson won't:

[URL="http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/08/07first_crack_at_the_53.html"]First Crack at the 53 - Redskins Insider[/URL][/quote]

Pretty solid predictions on his part.

GhettoDogAllStars 08-19-2008 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=firstdown;465496]Well if you look at just preseason Bett's is averaging more yards per carry and he has faced D's in the 1st and 2nd quarters of the game. Mason while he's look impressive has made most of his yards against scrubs and what would happen if he had to be the starter for a few games? Thats what we don't know about him but we do know that Bett's can carry the load. No way we get rid of Bett's.[/QUOTE]

I'd say Mason's value as a starter would be determined by his blocking and receiving.

If our line is run-blocking well, Mason can get just as many yards as Betts. There is nothing about Betts' running style that is better than Mason's, IMO.

As for the average: Betts is 6.8 with 11 carries; Mason is 5.4 with 43 carries. That's not much of an argument. Mason has had 4 times as many carries as Betts, so the odds are working against him -- and he's still averaging 5.4. Also, he started the HoF game, so he's seen similar competition as Betts this preseason (he got 98 yards in that game, btw).

Let me be clear: I'm not saying Mason is better than Betts. I'm just saying that as a #2 RB, who is equally capable (IMO, w/o regard to blocking), Mason is a better fit because he has more upside and is cheaper/younger.

If we lost Portis, Betts would come in and do well -- but I think Mason would too. Betts isn't all that special, he just runs into a hole -- Mason can do that too.

Can somebody help me out with blocking critique? I haven't seen Mason's blocking abilities...

freddyg12 08-19-2008 04:01 PM

no way we trade Betts unless someone comes up w/a crazy offer. If they keep Mason I agree w/JLC, he'd be the 4th rb.

mooby 08-19-2008 04:09 PM

For me the most interesting battle is who makes the cut at the 6th wide receiver spot. Brooks vs. Frost is another close matchup though, although I kinda expect Brooks to take it because you generally don't invest draft picks in punters only to cut them before the regular season.

I think with both of our rook wideouts nursing injuries whoever takes that #6 spot will be key in helping out the team. McMullen seems to have the lead right now but he's been inconsistent part of the time and that doesn't help his cause. The Anthony Mix fan club has pretty much disappeared because Mix hasn't done anything at all so far to help out his cause. I think WR depth this year is going to be key what with the rooks' injuries and we know Moss and Randle El aren't the most reliable receivers health wise either.