Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42051)

MTK 04-19-2011 09:38 AM

Re: Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

[quote=skinsfan69;794201]Most college kids experiment with drugs so I really would not hold this stuff against him.[/quote]

Define most. Because the schools I went to, I saw some of that stuff going on but for the most part, the majority weren't involved in that scene. Booze and pot were all over the place for sure, but that's a different animal.

His use is a concern and a red flag, especially if the rumors are true that he was doing a bit more than just "experimenting".

celts32 04-19-2011 10:15 AM

[quote=Mattyk;794203]Define most. Because the schools I went to, I saw some of that stuff going on but for the most part, the majority weren't involved in that scene. Booze and pot were all over the place for sure, but that's a different animal.

His use is a concern and a red flag, especially if the rumors are true that he was doing a bit more than just "experimenting".[/quote]

I agree...I went to a school that at one time made Playboy's list of top party schools and I never once saw anyone doing lines of coke. I am sure there were people here and there doing it and I knew a couple people in my fraternity who did but not enough to say most. Plenty of my friends smoked weed and we all drank heavily but coke is different. Definite red flag...not sure I could pull the trigger on Mallet if this stuff is true.

MTK 04-19-2011 10:32 AM

I'm sure he will be closely monitored by the NFL and will have to submit to random drug testing.

skinsfan69 04-19-2011 11:02 AM

[quote=Mattyk;794203]Define most. Because the schools I went to, I saw some of that stuff going on but for the most part, the majority weren't involved in that scene. Booze and pot were all over the place for sure, but that's a different animal.

His use is a concern and a red flag, especially if the rumors are true that he was doing a bit more than just "experimenting".[/quote]

I just remember people doing mushrooms, acid, coke, e, weed laced with coke and so on. It wasn't everyone but whatever. I'm just not going to judge a guy if he did some drugs while in college. I was listening to Casserly the other night and he was talking some BS about not drafting guys that did "hard drugs." OK. How did that work out with Dexer Manley and Tony Peters? You're not going to ever have a locker room full of Charles Mann's. At least Mallett has told them something. I bet most of the people that are drafting these kids have skeletons in their closets.

skinsfan69 04-19-2011 11:05 AM

[quote=celts32;794209]I agree...I went to a school that at one time made Playboy's list of top party schools and I never once saw anyone doing lines of coke. I am sure there were people here and there doing it and I knew a couple people in my fraternity who did but not enough to say most. Plenty of my friends smoked weed and we all drank heavily but coke is different. Definite red flag...not sure I could pull the trigger on Mallet if this stuff is true.[/quote]

How is coke different than weed or drinking til you blackout? Cause drinking and smoking weed are more socially acceptable by society?

SmootSmack 04-19-2011 11:15 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;794234]How is coke different than weed or drinking til you blackout? Cause drinking and smoking weed are more socially acceptable by society?[/quote]

Maybe it's just me, but taking a hit off a joint at a party it not the same as regularly doing lines by yourself and with a couple of other teammates in the locker room bathroom between practice sessions...but maybe that's just me

But regardless, I just hope for his sake he is clean and stays clean and has a successful NFL career

celts32 04-19-2011 11:17 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;794234]How is coke different than weed or drinking til you blackout? Cause drinking and smoking weed are more socially acceptable by society?[/quote]

I am not an expert on drugs so I don't want to get to far into this. weed is known as more of a gateway drug. Lots of people dabble with it in college and most give it up when they enter the real world. In many instances people taking coke are advanced drug users who are heading down the wrong path.

MTK 04-19-2011 11:20 AM

You can't compare weed to heroin or coke. Don't even try, it's just laughable.

Yeah alcohol is a big problem, not downplaying that, but it's still not in the same league as hard drugs.

Slingin Sammy 33 04-19-2011 01:43 PM

As the parent of a 17 yr. old, even the kids today see a VAST difference between booze/weed and coke, heroin, etc. To most of the kids, people who use anything other than booze/weed are "drug abusers".

Defensewins 04-19-2011 01:59 PM

Coke is a very [B]physically[/B] addictive drug. Plus see the Len Bias story about what happens when you do too much coke. Nobody has died from a Pot overdose.

Son Of Man 04-19-2011 02:07 PM

[quote=Mattyk;794241]You can't compare weed to heroin or coke. Don't even try, it's just laughable.

Yeah alcohol is a big problem, not downplaying that, but it's still not in the same league as hard drugs.[/quote]

I have to second that. Never read a "marijuana overdose" story.

Slingin Sammy 33 04-19-2011 02:09 PM

On the Jamie Dukes comment, I saw it live.....non-issue IMO (without going down the whole "double-standard" rathole).

Hog1 04-19-2011 02:28 PM

[quote=Defensewins;794260]Coke is a very [B]physically[/B] addictive drug. Plus see the Len Bias story about what happens when you do too much coke. Nobody has died from a Pot overdose.[/quote]

TOTALLY...do Coke for a while, you die.
Do Weed for a while, you act like Tommy Chong.........

Longtimefan 04-19-2011 02:41 PM

[quote=Defensewins;794260]Coke is a very [B]physically[/B] addictive drug. Plus see the Len Bias story about what happens when you do too much coke. Nobody has died from a Pot overdose.[/quote]

When you see comparisons being made to Ryan Leaf, it's more than just a red flag. Reports have indicated Mallett never failed a drug test, so stretching his indulgence to the point of addiction would seem rare under those circumstances.

To his credit he did come clean with the teams that have interviewed him though not always quite as candid with the media. He's a young man with plenty of time to straighten his life.

Hog1 04-19-2011 02:57 PM

[quote=Longtimefan;794271]When you see comparisons being made to Ryan Leaf, it's more than just a red flag. Reports have indicated Mallett never failed a drug test, so stretching his indulgence to the point of addiction would seem rare under those circumstances.

To his credit he did come clean with the teams that have interviewed him though not always quite as candid with the media. [SIZE=4]He's a young man with plenty of time to straighten his life[/SIZE].[/quote]

And this story may well have a happy ending, but the prospect of hanging multiple million around his neck with even.....the possibility of problems down the road is a hefty consideration............