Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who would make your 2006 Redskins team? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=9278)

mooby 11-28-2005 01:07 AM

Who would make your 2006 Redskins team?

I was thinking about it, if we lose one more game we are out of the playoff hunt, so that brings me to this question. In the offseason, if you were general manager, who would you keep, who would you cut, and who would be on the bubble? Here's my list.

Keepers: Brunell, Portis, Moss, Cooley, Sellers, Betts, Thrash, Jansen, Thomas, Rabach, Dockery, Hall, Griffin, Salave'a, Arrington, Marshall, Washington, Springs, Taylor, Rogers, Tupa, Cartwright, Clemons

On the Bubble: Taylor Jacobs, Chris Samuels, Ryan Clark, Matt Bowen, Demetric Evans, Renaldo Wynn(strictly in on run situations), Pierson Prioleau

Goners: Walt Harris, Robert Royal, Phillip Daniels, Cedric Killings, Derrick Frost, Patrick Ramsey (because Campbell will have progressed to #2, and he deserves a shot somewhere else)

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 01:17 AM

Re: Who would make your 2006 Redskins team?

Keepers: Agree

On the Bubble: Betts is gone as he is in a contract year. Samuels isn't going anywhere as we just signed him to an extension with a fat bonus and good left tackles don't grow on trees.

Goners: Agree

MTK 11-28-2005 09:34 AM

I'd gut the defensive line except for Griff obviously.

This isn't news but we need some DE's who can create pressure. We could also use an upgrade at DT next to Griffin. I love big Joe but I really think he's best suited as a 3rd DT.

#56fanatic 11-28-2005 10:02 AM

You have to dump Brunell at somepoint. This is the second year of that experiment and its not working all that well, we are not winning games so why keep Ramsey or Campbell on the sideline losing time to grow and get the "in game" experience. O line is good, RB situation is good, but we may lose Betts. We need a WR on offense, one that is going to contribute right away. Which means we may have to look in the free agent market. D-line, its obvious not worth mentioning again. I think we could use a true MLB. Marshall does OK,if not pretty good, but I just dont know if he is a true MLB. One that is physically imposing against the run inside. not sold on him there. We will need another DB, one that can play nickel (Harris has got to go) and another safety. Clarks improbably run to stardum is over. He is getting beat as much as Walt Harris,and not sure if Bowen is healthy enough to play all 16 games anymore.

AND A PUNTER THAT CAN PUNT LONGER THAN 40 YARDS!!!!

Hog1 11-28-2005 10:08 AM

I agree with most. Contracts notwithstanding, I would loook at making O-line changes as we get beat often on routine blitz, undependable run blocking, etc. Jansen and Raybach are the only sure keepers

#56fanatic 11-28-2005 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Hog1]I agree with most. Contracts notwithstanding, I would loook at making O-line changes as we get beat often on routine blitz, undependable run blocking, etc. Jansen and Raybach are the only sure keepers[/QUOTE]

Our O-Line is probably one to the most promising part of the team. Jansen is playing well, Samuels may make the probowl with Jansen. Dockery is in his 3rd year and playing well. Rabach and Thomas are both solid. No changes needed up from on the O-line. if they waste any picks on the Oline this year, it will be one of the craziest things I have seen lately. The need D LINE HELP!!!

Krills 11-28-2005 10:13 AM

There is no way Samuels will be gone next year...are you kidding? He's on the bubble? Ha!

Duffman003 11-28-2005 10:19 AM

Just because Ryan Clark missed one tackle against LT doesn't mean we should cut him. I'm a fan of Ryan because he is a good run stopper and if he did make that tackle they were still in field goal range.

#56fanatic 11-28-2005 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=Duffman003]Just because Ryan Clark missed one tackle against LT doesn't mean we should cut him. I'm a fan of Ryan because he is a good run stopper and if he did make that tackle they were still in field goal range.
[/QUOTE]

Clark has been exposed recently in pass coverage. He is as good as Harris. He may be able to stop or play against the run, but he needs to be better in pass coverage, and he is just not that good. He has been steps late when trying to cover down field. Taylor is very good in pass coverage, but with his ability to rush the passer and attack the run we need a better cover safety. Clark is just not as good as everyone thought. Our true colors have come out lately. Any defense that gets pressure on a QB is going to look good. Like last year. When you blitzes are picked up, and the talent of defense is on the line thats what separates good from average. Our corners(except springs) are average, and Clark is average.

Duffman003 11-28-2005 10:37 AM

I don't ever really see Ryan Clark getting thrown on.

heybigstar 11-28-2005 11:41 AM

Derrick Frost is definetely gone,

he cant punt more than 40 yards. He sucks. seriously, he sucks.

amorentz 11-28-2005 11:46 AM

I disagree with dumping Walt Harris. He's a great guy to have as a nickel corner. Sure Ive watched him get burned several times this year, but there is no reason to dump an experienced nickel guy. Who's going to replace him...Ade Jimoh?

#56fanatic 11-28-2005 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=amorentz]I disagree with dumping Walt Harris. He's a great guy to have as a nickel corner. Sure Ive watched him get burned several times this year, but there is no reason to dump an experienced nickel guy. Who's going to replace him...Ade Jimoh?[/QUOTE]

Generally your Nickel back should be someone with good speed to cover # 3 receiver, which in most cases can get open down the field. Walt is best suited for the #2 receiver which in most cases is a possession guy. Walt is getting burned by possession receivers like a drum. He will most definately get beat by speed guys in the slot.

Redskins_P 11-28-2005 12:25 PM

Harris has got to go PERIOD!

TheMalcolmConnection 11-28-2005 12:56 PM

Speaking of Frost, should we be getting Tupa back for next year? I'd HATE to worry about signing someone when we could get Tupa back. Also, I know many might disagree but Daniels has been a pretty decent run stopper. He also drew a lot of holding penalties from getting double-teamed. We DEFINITELY need a pass-rushing DE, but I wouldn't want that to come at his expense.

celts32 11-28-2005 12:59 PM

My only real disagreement is that Chris Samuels is not going anywhere and nor should he. He may not be the dominator that we all wanted him to be, but he is one of the better LT's in the league and it is a very hard position to fill.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 01:08 PM

I say we go Danny style and cut everyone (as a lot of people seem to want)! Ahh, how we talk about consistency and stability and tweaks and then go ballistic like a bunch of fantasy/Madden team owners.

Redskins_P 11-28-2005 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I say we go Danny-style and cut everyone (as a lot of people seem to want)![/QUOTE]

RF, don't forget about firing Gibbs and trading Portis.

Hog1 11-28-2005 01:09 PM

[QUOTE=#56fanatic]Our O-Line is probably one to the most promising part of the team. Jansen is playing well, Samuels may make the probowl with Jansen. Dockery is in his 3rd year and playing well. Rabach and Thomas are both solid. No changes needed up from on the O-line. if they waste any picks on the Oline this year, it will be one of the craziest things I have seen lately. The need D LINE HELP!!![/QUOTE]

It could be a little harsh, but, Brunell gets chased all over the field [b]routinely[/b]. We don't have enough confidence in our running game to run the ball on third and anything. I don't say they suck, but they are getting [b]beat...........a lot. [/b] Do you mean promising like Desmond Howard, or Heath Schuler?

#56fanatic 11-28-2005 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Hog1]It could be a little harsh, but, Brunell gets chased all over the field [b]routinely[/b]. We don't have enough confidence in our running game to run the ball on third and anything. I don't say they suck, but they are getting [b]beat...........a lot. [/b]Do you mean promising like Desmond Howard, or Heath Schuler?[/QUOTE]

I am saying promising as in Pro bowls to there credit. Both Jansen and Samuels, I though Rabach and Thomas have been too. They have to gel, and I believe talent is there, they just have to play together for a while. This is the first season they have all played together. They will be better as this year goes and the offseason and moving into next year. I dont believe there was any promise the Howard or Shuler, although I hear Shulers realestate business is very promising!!

Redskins_P 11-28-2005 01:19 PM

If theres anyone on the o-line that has been consistent, its Thomas.

Thomas should get in the Pro Bowl, IMO.

Hog1 11-28-2005 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=#56fanatic]I am saying promising as in Pro bowls to there credit. Both Jansen and Samuels, I though Rabach and Thomas have been too. They have to gel, and I believe talent is there, they just have to play together for a while. This is the first season they have all played together. They will be better as this year goes and the offseason and moving into next year. I dont believe there was any promise the Howard or Shuler, although I hear Shulers realestate business is very promising!![/QUOTE]

Well....."56" you'll note by my monniker, I am a big fan of the O-line. I have been dissappointed with Samuels this year. He needs to pick it up. He collects a lot of penalties, he gets beat way to much. He gives Brunell way to much help fumbling. There is no consistency to our running attack, and even [i][b]we don't count on it![/b][/i] However, I must say, I hope you are right[b]![/b]

That Guy 11-28-2005 07:48 PM

samuels getss beat a lot more than people making much less than him... he needs to play till the whistle every time...

BigSKINBauer 11-28-2005 07:57 PM

man i like ryan clark and i have felt that way all year, no way is he on the bubble for me unless we can pick up some really good strong saftey. Prioleua and Bowen i agree are on the bubble so who is left at saftey then?>

Gmanc711 11-28-2005 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=Redskins_P]If theres anyone on the o-line that has been consistent, its Thomas.

Thomas should get in the Pro Bowl, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Thomas is the only one that I think has played VERY well this year. Jansen, who I love and wouldnt even think of getting rid of, is not having a great year. He was absolutley ABUSED last week by Burgess from Oakland. Look at the highlights on the last play of the game, Jansen just got mauled. I'd just like to see some more consistency out of the line as a whole. Thomas has been very good.

ST21 11-28-2005 09:02 PM

I've done hard research on this, so bare with me, this could be our 2006 Roster:

Brunell, Portis, Cooley, Moss, Samuels, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, we need a LG, 2nd WR, TE, lets address the LG we can go with Diehl. or Hutchinson who both have 1yr left on there contract, For Wr, plenty of options but, here are my Choices, T.O., that right can't deny his talent and at this point he has only one chance left, next Reggie Wayne, Colts might not be able to sign him, next I. Bruce, solid and has experience...Jimmy Smith would be perfect or Charles Rogers, who the Lions will cut, or Brandon Lloyd, next TE Randy McMichael or Todd Heap, not sure if he's got a extention yet or Boo Williams from New Orleans, who wants to play there anyway, now let's do the Defense:

Griffen, Washington, Arrington, Salave'a, Springs, Rogers, Taylor, for a LE, Raheem Brock, Aaron Smith, Gary Walker, for RE John Abraham, Aaron Schobel, Greg Ellis, Mike Rucker from Carolina, or Best of all Robert Mathis, from Ind. next a MLB Ray Lewis, because the Ravens will let him walk, Andra Davis, Earl Holmes, Gary Brackett. at SS and this is the most important one....Lawyer Milloy, Adam Archuleta, Corey Chavous, Tank Williams, Donovin Darius, not sure if he got that contract extention, but I know he has been getting the Franchise Tag. and I'm sure we get all of these guys but that what will be available, I'll say the 4 most important people on here that would put us over the top.....Heap from the Ravens....Hutchinson from Sea...John Abraham and Robert Mathis, all of these guys to my knowledge is in a contract year, we could do without Heap, take Jimmy Smith, move Cooley over to TE full time, and use Sellers as a FB,

Our New Additions or:
Jimmy Smith-WR
Rober Mathis-RE
John Abraham-LE
Steve Hutchinson-LG,

keep the Core guys along with what we got.....Playoffs, no doubt

SUNRA 11-28-2005 09:43 PM

The See Ya's and I wouldn't want to be Ya's:

1.Patrick Ramsey
2.Walt Harris
3.Pearson Prioleau
4.David Patten
5.Ade Jimoh
6.Omar Stoutmire
7.Warrick Holdman
8.Randy Thomas
9.Cory Raymer
10.Ladell Betts
11.Robert Royal
12.Brian Kozlowski
13.Taylor Jacobs
14.Matt Bowen
and last but not certainly least.
15.Lavar Arrington- The biggest dissappointment on this team and when given the opportunity to take over a game he drops the ball. I really think that Williams and Blache have shown a dislike for Arrington's inconsistent play and they have shown that they can run a defense without him.

Our new additions are:

1.Brandon Lloyd
2.John Abraham
3.Tres Moses-WR from Rutgers University a serious playmaker
4.Corey Chavous
and the last surprise pick-up
5.Curtis Martin- He just can't wear 28#.

Big C 11-28-2005 10:16 PM

bubble: daniels (gone if we can find a replacement, if it...then he stays), frost, hall, harris, jimoh, holdman, robert johnson, wynn (cap reasons and productivity)

gone: bowen, koz (old), ramsey, royal (ol stone hands), stoutmire, noble

everyone else keep if possible

Big C 11-28-2005 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=SUNRA]

Our new additions are:

1.Brandon Lloyd
2.John Abraham
4.Corey Chavous
5.Curtis Martin- He just can't wear 28#.[/QUOTE]

why curtis martin? expensive backup who is going way downhill.
chavous would be a good addition.
abraham would be great
lloyd would be alright, i think hes a little overrated cuz he makes some amazing catches, but isnt that consistent...he will make the highlight reel from time to time but he isnt worth a big contract, as some team might want to give him

:duel: :duel: :duel:

:spank: :spank: :spank:

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=SUNRA]The See Ya's and I wouldn't want to be Ya's:

1.Patrick Ramsey
2.Walt Harris
3.Pearson Prioleau
4.David Patten
5.Ade Jimoh
6.Omar Stoutmire
7.Warrick Holdman
8.Randy Thomas
9.Cory Raymer
10.Ladell Betts
11.Robert Royal
12.Brian Kozlowski
13.Taylor Jacobs
14.Matt Bowen
and last but not certainly least.
15.Lavar Arrington- The biggest dissappointment on this team and when given the opportunity to take over a game he drops the ball. I really think that Williams and Blache have shown a dislike for Arrington's inconsistent play and they have shown that they can run a defense without him.

Our new additions are:

1.Brandon Lloyd
2.John Abraham
4.Corey Chavous
5.Curtis Martin- He just can't wear 28#.[/QUOTE]

I agree with most of the picks. But Randy Thomas? He's our best offensive linemen and one of our best players! Arrington gone? How to we afford to take the gigantic cap hit? If you can explain that one, you should be on TV like David Blaine or David Copperfield. Finally, Curtis Martin? Really? Isn't he as old as dirt? Martin is a great back, but he's got at most one or two really good seasons left.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=wewhite3]I've done hard research on this, so bare with me, this could be our 2006 Roster:

Brunell, Portis, Cooley, Moss, Samuels, Rabach, Thomas, Jansen, we need a LG, 2nd WR, TE, lets address the LG we can go with Diehl. or Hutchinson who both have 1yr left on there contract, For Wr, plenty of options but, here are my Choices, T.O., that right can't deny his talent and at this point he has only one chance left, next Reggie Wayne, Colts might not be able to sign him, next I. Bruce, solid and has experience...Jimmy Smith would be perfect or Charles Rogers, who the Lions will cut, or Brandon Lloyd, next TE Randy McMichael or Todd Heap, not sure if he's got a extention yet or Boo Williams from New Orleans, who wants to play there anyway, now let's do the Defense:

Griffen, Washington, Arrington, Salave'a, Springs, Rogers, Taylor, for a LE, Raheem Brock, Aaron Smith, Gary Walker, for RE John Abraham, Aaron Schobel, Greg Ellis, Mike Rucker from Carolina, or Best of all Robert Mathis, from Ind. next a MLB Ray Lewis, because the Ravens will let him walk, Andra Davis, Earl Holmes, Gary Brackett. at SS and this is the most important one....Lawyer Milloy, Adam Archuleta, Corey Chavous, Tank Williams, Donovin Darius, not sure if he got that contract extention, but I know he has been getting the Franchise Tag. and I'm sure we get all of these guys but that what will be available, I'll say the 4 most important people on here that would put us over the top.....Heap from the Ravens....Hutchinson from Sea...John Abraham and Robert Mathis, all of these guys to my knowledge is in a contract year, we could do without Heap, take Jimmy Smith, move Cooley over to TE full time, and use Sellers as a FB,

Our New Additions or:
Jimmy Smith-WR
Rober Mathis-RE
John Abraham-LE
Steve Hutchinson-LG,

keep the Core guys along with what we got.....Playoffs, no doubt[/QUOTE]

Pretty interesting and informative post. Wow! Hutchinson is going to be a free agent? If we can afford him and the Hawks don't re-sign him (which is unlikely), we should do everything we can to get him. Randy "the wife-beater" McMichael fails Gibbs' character test with flying colors.

Heap and Darius did sign extensions.

I'd like to see just a new #2 wideout, a TE, and a DE and that's about it; everything else is a luxury we probably can't afford.

SmootSmack 11-28-2005 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I agree with most of the picks. But Randy Thomas? He's our best offensive linemen and one of our best players! Arrington gone? How to we afford to take the gigantic cap hit? If you can explain that one, you should be on TV like David Blaine or David Copperfield. Finally, Curtis Martin? Really? Isn't he as old as dirt? Martin is a great back, but he's got at most one or two really good seasons left.[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you why Curtis Martin. It's part of our new trend. The annual "Pick a Jet" campaign. We need to bring some former Jet to the Skins.

On another note. Let me throw this name out there. Financially I don't know if it works but there is a big, young back out there who will probably be a free agent this offseason....Jamal Lewis.

What do you guys think of going after him and doing a Portis-Jamal thing sort of like what the Panthers have with Deshaun and Stephen Davis? My guess is it probably wouldn't work from a salary cap standpoint

Big C 11-28-2005 10:24 PM

[QUOTE=wewhite3]I've done hard research on this, so bare with me, this could be our 2006 Roster:

Our New Additions or:
Jimmy Smith-WR
Rober Mathis-RE
John Abraham-LE
Steve Hutchinson-LG,

dont think we would move cooley to TE, why mess with a good thing when hes been awesome at H back?

hutchinson would be great. mathis isnt a full time player though, only a situational pass rusher. jimmy smith would be alright, but he doesnt have too much left. if we got ray lewis that would be amazing, he would make this defense so nasty just with his personality and charisma.

Big C 11-28-2005 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]I'll tell you why Curtis Martin. It's part of our new trend. The annual "Pick a Jet" campaign. We need to bring some former Jet to the Skins.

On another note. Let me throw this name out there. Financially I don't know if it works but there is a big, young back out there who will probably be a free agent this offseason....Jamal Lewis.

What do you guys think of going after him and doing a Portis-Jamal thing sort of like what the Panthers have with Deshaun and Stephen Davis? My guess is it probably wouldn't work from a salary cap standpoint[/QUOTE]

would be interesting, but yes it wouldnt work with the cap and i dont think lewis is a "character guy" that gibbs would want

:spank: :spank: :spank:

SmootSmack 11-28-2005 10:26 PM

Our New Additions or:
Jimmy Smith-WR
Rober Mathis-RE
John Abraham-LE
Steve Hutchinson-LG,

I love Jimmy Smith. I think he's one of the most underrated receivers of all time. However, I think his best years are behind him and I wouldn't go after him

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 10:26 PM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]I'll tell you why Curtis Martin. It's part of our new trend. The annual "Pick a Jet" campaign. We need to bring some former Jet to the Skins.

What do you guys think of going after him and doing a Portis-Jamal thing sort of like what the Panthers have with Deshaun and Stephen Davis? My guess is it probably wouldn't work from a salary cap standpoint[/QUOTE]

Interesting, but I can't imagine under any circumstances having both Portis and Lewis. That would consume too much of our cap, both would be griping about carries, and Lewis fails the Gibbs' character test.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 11-28-2005 10:39 PM

I understand the enthusiasm about getting new and more talented players. We've lost year after year after year. Danny & Co. have tried year after year after year to dig their way out of their losing ways by mining free agency for high-caliber quick-fixes. I learned a long time ago that when you are in a hole the first thing you need to do is stop digging. That is exactly what we need to do - take stock and climb out with basically what we've got (save 1 or 2 pickups).

ST21 11-29-2005 01:16 AM

[QUOTE=Ramseyfan]I understand the enthusiasm about getting new and more talented players. We've lost year after year after year. Danny & Co. have tried year after year after year to dig their way out of their losing ways by mining free agency for high-caliber quick-fixes. I learned a long time ago that when you are in a hole the first thing you need to do is stop digging. That is exactly what we need to do - take stock and climb out with basically what we've got (save 1 or 2 pickups).[/QUOTE]

Good Point, no doubt thats a good point, but since, we want have many draft picks, since denver will be gettin our future, then free agency, is the only way to stop the bleeding....I really think, Hutchinson and Smith, with Abraham, would gives us that feared D again.....and If the Ravens Drop Ray Lewis, well, I dont see him wanting to move far away from MD......I feel this could gives us what we need, even though I do like Brandon LLoyd and Mathis from Ind. he's a speed demon

dmek25 11-29-2005 06:56 AM

first of all,leave the o line alone!it takes a couple of seasons together to make it right.no our line isnt great,but just playing together and knowing where everyone should be,will vastly improve next year.you guys talk about dumping all these players,where do you dig up new ones?for the most part,the guys you are talking about are about to be cast off their old teams for one reason or another.who wants some other teams trash?with a couple of minor personnal moves the skins will make the playoffs in 2006.have faith,coach gibbs has us heading in the right direction

ST21 11-29-2005 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=dmek25]first of all,leave the o line alone!it takes a couple of seasons together to make it right.no our line isnt great,but just playing together and knowing where everyone should be,will vastly improve next year.you guys talk about dumping all these players,where do you dig up new ones?for the most part,the guys you are talking about are about to be cast off their old teams for one reason or another.who wants some other teams trash?with a couple of minor personnal moves the skins will make the playoffs in 2006.have faith,coach gibbs has us heading in the right direction[/QUOTE]

Its easier for a O-line to gel than any other line, and this is the easiest place you can add talent without messing up to much chemistry, Trash do you mean like Muhammad going to Chicago, or Carlonia getting Delhomme, a few years ago, or the Patriots getting the Bengals Trash in Corey Dillion, what about Tampa getting Denvers trash in Brian Griese before he got hurt, all I know is that it takes talent along with comrotery, to make a team gel