Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Eight QBs and Where The Latest Rumors Have Them Going (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46687)

SmootSmack 02-19-2012 11:59 AM

Eight QBs and Where The Latest Rumors Have Them Going

Figured it was time for a new QB thread. Here are 8 FA QBs (including restricted) and 8 non-Redskins teams they've been associated with

Peyton Manning-Arizona Cardinals

Matt Flynn-Cleveland Browns

Drew Brees-New Orleans Saints

Brian Hoyer-New England Patriots

Chad Henne-New York Jets

Josh Johnson-Seattle Seahawks

Kyle Orton-St. Louis Rams

Jason Campbell-Chicago Bears

los panda 02-19-2012 12:11 PM

Re: Eight QBs and Where The Latest Rumors Have Them Going

what kind of association?

GTripp0012 02-19-2012 12:12 PM

Best available then for the Redskins would be:

1. Griffin/Luck
2. Garrard
3. Alex Smith
4. Vince Young
5. Dan Orlovsky
6. Rex Grossman
7. Brady Quinn

I know, we'll just get Sage Rosenfels back!

diehardskin2982 02-19-2012 12:17 PM

Great article on why Manning may choose Washington

[url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/16/shanahans-pedigree-larger-market-could-tempt-manni/?page=1]Shanahan's pedigree, larger market could tempt Manning - Washington Times[/url]

30gut 02-19-2012 12:26 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886800]Figured it was time for a new QB thread. Here are 8 FA QBs (including restricted) and 8 non-Redskins teams they've been associated with[/quote]
Here are my guesstimations:

Peyton Manning-Washington Redskins

Matt Flynn-Miami Dolphins

Chad Henne-Cleveland Browns

Josh Johnson-Tampa Bay/Cincinnati/San Fran

Kyle Orton-KC

Jason Campbell-New York Jets

bonus:
Jimmy Clausen-Washington

SmootSmack 02-19-2012 12:31 PM

panda-associated by rumors

tripp-I purposely left off draft picks

gut-I thought of putting bonus: Clausen myself but wanted just to list non-Redskin possibilities

KI Skins Fan 02-19-2012 12:47 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886800]Figured it was time for a new QB thread. Here are 8 FA QBs (including restricted) and 8 non-Redskins teams they've been associated with

Chad Henne-New York Jets

Jason Campbell-Chicago Bears[/quote]

Orton to St. Louis as a backup?

CultBrennan59 02-19-2012 12:54 PM

Ok, so how long until this thread is at 40 pages, I say 3 days...

SS, what is this list you made, your predictions or what you know is going to happen?

Side note, I have a very good feeling that we're getting Bradford, I don't really know why, but I feel like it'll happen. And That'll be great.

SmootSmack 02-19-2012 12:58 PM

[quote=CultBrennan59;886816]Ok, so how long until this thread is at 40 pages, I say 3 days...

SS, what is this list you made, your predictions or what you know is going to happen?

Side note, I have a very good feeling that we're getting Bradford, I don't really know why, but I feel like it'll happen. And That'll be great.[/quote]

No one knows what's going to happen. I just thought it was type to get a new thread going and these are just teams that have been strongly associated with these QBs

Of course, other teams (including the Redskins) have been rumored to be getting many of these QBs and so I thought I'd just make that list

There should be news this week at the combine, enough for a new thread maybe
KI-yes, Orton as a backup/put a bit of a scare in Bradford

Alvin Walton 02-19-2012 12:58 PM

If Campbell is supposed to be a starter why would Chicago want him?

TexSkins 02-19-2012 01:04 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;886819]If Campbell is supposed to be a starter why would Chicago want him?[/quote]

Caleb Hanie

CultBrennan59 02-19-2012 01:07 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886818]No one knows what's going to happen. I just thought it was type to get a new thread going and these are just teams that have been strongly associated with these QBs

Of course, other teams (including the Redskins) have been rumored to be getting many of these QBs and so I thought I'd just make that list

[B]There should be news this week at the combine, enough for a new thread maybe[/B]
KI-yes, Orton as a backup/put a bit of a scare in Bradford[/quote]

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8270b0ec/article/should-st-louis-stick-with-bradford-or-turn-to-rg3?module=HP11_content_stream]NFL.com news: Should St. Louis stick with Bradford ... or turn to RG3?[/url]

Would it have to do with this maybe ^?

Alvin Walton 02-19-2012 01:13 PM

[quote=TexSkins;886820]Caleb Hanie[/quote]

Hes a back up....what about him?

diehardskin2982 02-19-2012 01:16 PM

My guess right now that the Redskins are all in on getting a top tier qb. If I had to list it
at this point it would be as follows;

1. Manning/ Some rookie qb not named RGIII or Luck
2. RGIII
3. Orton
4. Bradford
5. Luck
6. Other

TexSkins 02-19-2012 01:20 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;886823]Hes a back up....what about him?[/quote]

Correction:he's a horrible back up. Would you want him or JC backing your starter up?

Alvin Walton 02-19-2012 01:26 PM

[quote=TexSkins;886826]Correction:he's a horrible back up. Would you want him or JC backing your starter up?[/quote]

Campbell = starter (I didnt say he was a good one)
Chicago = already has Cutler

He may eventually journey into a backup position but he's going to look for a starting job at first.

TexSkins 02-19-2012 01:28 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;886828]Campbell = starter (I didnt say he was a good one)
Chicago = already has Cutler

He may eventually journey into a backup position but he's going to look for a starting job at first.[/quote]

I'm sure he wants to. Maybe Seattle. I was pointing out that Chicago doesn't want to go into next year with Caleb as their backup.

skinsfan69 02-19-2012 01:30 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886800]Figured it was time for a new QB thread. Here are 8 FA QBs (including restricted) and 8 non-Redskins teams they've been associated with

Chad Henne-New York Jets

Jason Campbell-Chicago Bears[/quote]

If Henne leaves Miami and competes with Sanchez then what does Miami do for a starter? Seems like the obvious choice for Flynn is Miami, not Cleveland.

SmootSmack 02-19-2012 01:33 PM

Tannehill, Manning and RG3 are all serious options for Miami

CultBrennan59 02-19-2012 01:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886831]Tannehill, Manning and RG3 are all serious options for Miami[/quote]

Flynn, Manning, Tannehill, then RG3 are their top guys in that order.

Alvin Walton 02-19-2012 01:45 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;886831]Tannehill, Manning and RG3 are all serious options for Miami[/quote]

If thats true which I could easily believe, we are going to have to give up the farm bigtime to win the bidding war with the Rams.
:boxing:

30gut 02-19-2012 01:46 PM

I thought this was a fit in this thread:

[quote=Bill Walsh]....As a result the growing sentiment among many NFL teams is to use FA process to obtain a "new" quarterback at the point when he's actually needed. The prevailing attitude is to let another organization spend the time, money, and resources on developing a young quarterback.
The stats bear out the relatively transient nature of NFL QB.
For example, at the beginning of the 1997 NFL season, of the 103 QBs drafted from 1989 to 1996, only 6 are starting for the franchises that picked them in the draft, and only 25% remain in the city where they were chosen. Of the 71 selected from 1989-1993, only 5 are even on the rosters of the original franchise.
In fact, 2 of the last 3 Super Bowl Champs acquired their starting QBs by methods other then the draft. Furthermore, of the top-ten rated QBs during the 1996 season, only 4 are with their original team. 4 were acquired by free agency, while Steve Young and Brett Favre came by way of trades (which occurred prior to FA)[/quote]

[U]Finding the Winning Edge[/U]

GTripp0012 02-19-2012 01:53 PM

[quote=30gut;886836]I thought this was a fit in this thread:

[QUOTE]....As a result the growing sentiment among many NFL teams is to use FA process to obtain a "new" quarterback at the point when he's actually needed. [B]The prevailing attitude is to let another organization spend the time, money, and resources on developing a young quarterback.[/B][/quote][/QUOTE]Probably the best way for a large-market franchise to flex its muscle in the modern day NFL. Try to get RG3, but if that doesn't work, go pluck around the other 32 teams for players that teams have soured on after pouring considerable resources into.

My preference is Henne, but this would defend Orton coming here as well.

Shadowbyte 02-19-2012 02:41 PM

[quote=Alvin Walton;886819]If Campbell is supposed to be a starter why would Chicago want him?[/quote]

Exactly, I think he'd fit in nicely in Seattle.

Defensewins 02-19-2012 03:15 PM

If were Manning I would be interested in going to 49ers. What is the 49ers salary cap situation? Can they absorb a Manning contract?

biffle 02-19-2012 03:33 PM

[quote=Defensewins;886844]If were Manning I would be interested in going to 49ers. What is the 49ers salary cap situation? Can they absorb a Manning contract?[/quote]

They have a good deal of cap room. And yeah, they are the perfect situation for Manning. But, for whatever reason, they don't seem to be interested. Which is a shame, because a healthy Manning makes them probably the Super Bowl favorite next year. Without him, I'd expect them to fall back a bit next year.

Defensewins 02-19-2012 03:43 PM

[quote=biffle;886847]They have a good deal of cap room. And yeah, they are the perfect situation for Manning. [B]But, for whatever reason, they don't seem to be interested. Which is a shame,[/B] because a healthy Manning makes them probably the Super Bowl favorite next year. Without him, I'd expect them to fall back a bit next year.[/quote]

I never put to much belief into rumors. If and or when Manning is released and if Manning can prove to be 100% healthy, many of the seemingly uninterested teams will suddenly be very interested. It does not make sense for teams to reveal their cards at this point. Better to stay quiet. That is what the smart winning teams do.
If 49ers can add Manning and a couple of top FA WR's, which it seems there will be a few, the 49ers could be dominate. Manning has to see this. So do the 49er's FO.

skinsfaninok 02-19-2012 03:47 PM

I still see Manning in either Miami or WSH, maybe and its a long stretch maybe AZ

EARTHQUAKE2689 02-19-2012 03:48 PM

If Cleveland signs Matt Flynn, I feel that will be the most interesting signing just because of the ramifications of it.

redskins5044 02-19-2012 04:01 PM

Even if Flynn signs with Browns and Manning goes to Dolphins, we are still going to have to trade up to #2 or #3 to get RG3 but it may lower the cost for us to get him.

REDSKINS4ever 02-19-2012 04:06 PM

Mike Shanahan would sign Peyton Manning only if he thinks that Manning's presence alone can make the entire offense better. Maybe the wide receivers will improve their game. Maybe the offensive line will block much better. Then there's the potential of Manning calling his own plays. Kyle Shanahan would have to allow Manning to do that. Also, would Pierre Garcon or Reggie Wayne want to come to the Redskins along with Manning? Wanye has ties to Santana Moss from their days at the "U".

GTripp0012 02-19-2012 04:29 PM

This article was written to remind you it is almost too easy to get useful draft information from Mike Holmgren. Though this isn't really breaking new ground now that it's been reported.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/19/browns-focusing-on-five-in-the-first-round/]Browns focusing on five in the first round | ProFootballTalk[/url]

The biggest takeaway from this: that the Browns can get someone from that group for certain if they trade down from 4 to 6.

The Dolphins remain a wild card pending free agency, but I still think Griffin will be there at no. 4, and I doubt that the Dolphins can put together an offer that beats the Redskins offer if the Browns really want someone on that short list.

NC_Skins 02-19-2012 04:39 PM

T minus....66 days....and counting till the madness is over. :insane::party-smi:cheers:banghead::drink

theJBexperience 02-19-2012 04:40 PM

What about our blockbuster trade with STL? Is that still in the works?

JoeRedskin 02-19-2012 04:43 PM

[quote=NC_Skins;886855]T minus....66 days....and counting till the madness is over. :insane::party-smi:cheers:banghead::drink[/quote]

lol ... This!

Higskin 02-19-2012 05:06 PM

[quote=GTripp0012;886854]This article was written to remind you it is almost too easy to get useful draft information from Mike Holmgren. Though this isn't really breaking new ground now that it's been reported.

[url=http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/19/browns-focusing-on-five-in-the-first-round/]Browns focusing on five in the first round | ProFootballTalk[/url]

The biggest takeaway from this: that the Browns can get someone from that group for certain if they trade down from 4 to 6.

The Dolphins remain a wild card pending free agency, but I still think Griffin will be there at no. 4, and I doubt that the Dolphins can put together an offer that beats the Redskins offer if the Browns really want someone on that short list.[/quote]

Everybody has Skins to #2 from #6 at something like 1st, 2nd and 4th this year. There's been a lot of talk about how out dated that JJ pick value chart has become because teams are only giving picks and not a kings ransom in contracts.

Knowing that, I think Miami could get aggressive if they wanted to. :twocents:

diehardskin2982 02-19-2012 05:21 PM

Once free agency hits the price for the number 2 pick will drop.

skinsfan69 02-19-2012 05:25 PM

It still amazes that people think Manning is going anywhere but to retirement. He can't even throw the ball.

diehard 02-19-2012 05:44 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;886864]It still amazes that people think Manning is going anywhere but to retirement. He can't even throw the ball.[/quote]

It's ignorance.

GTripp0012 02-19-2012 05:51 PM

[quote=Higskin;886861]Everybody has Skins to #2 from #6 at something like 1st, 2nd and 4th this year. There's been a lot of talk about how out dated that JJ pick value chart has become because teams are only giving picks and not a kings ransom in contracts.

Knowing that, I think Miami could get aggressive if they wanted to. :twocents:[/quote]I fully expect the Dolphins to price themselves out of RG3 in Free Agency though. Whether via Flynn or some other acquisition, I think they'll be more aggressive at QB in this market than the Redskins will, and be less QB starved when the draft rolls around.

I think the Redskins, Seahawks, and Browns will all play their QB situations more patiently.