Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Welcome your Washington Commanders (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64980)

jamf 02-03-2022 03:46 PM

Re: Welcome your Washington Commanders

[quote=MTK;1309932]Wright was on with Kevin Sheehan this morning and apparently they are open to changing the years on the crest. Personally I could care less, they went with commemorating the year they won vs what season the team is associated with, but if it helps straighten out some panties out there than just do it.[/quote]

Matty going full Sean Spicer defending the team!
[YT]UWuc18xISwI[/YT]

[I][SIZE="1"]/Not intended to be political[/SIZE][/I]

Swarley 02-03-2022 04:10 PM

Part of me wishes they just left the pre-Superbowl championships off and went with the Roman numeral of the Super Bowl wins. I think that would actually look really cool.

also, Swaggy chimes in on Twitter:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ZSnXgWi.png[/IMG]

[url]https://twitter.com/cbakerswaggy/status/1489022915341393927?s=20&t=Q0GtR-kZr6R3ChFWgMPiFw[/url]

JackLord 02-03-2022 04:57 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1309938]As I said it my post it's not just the crest thing. [B]It's everything single thing w/ them[/B].[/quote]

IMHO there are two different POVs currently running through Washington fandom.

The first places a premium on history and tradition of the franchise. Unsurprisingly, this features mostly unhappy fans as they feel a genuine loss. One catches a whiff of over sentimental tendencies, bitterness, and reluctance to embrace change.

The second is forward looking and places a premium on the future rather than wallowing in the past. Unsurprisingly, this features mostly optimistic fans who do not see this as a death, but rather as much needed rebirth. One catches a whiff of romantic expectations regarding wins and possibly a slight tinge of Stockholm Syndrome.

Both schools of thought are legitimate and have their merits. But they are largely incompatible at this time.

FrenchSkin 02-03-2022 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=MTK;1309876]Seems to me that let's go commanders works just fine.[/QUOTE]But how do you chant it with any kind of rythme ? Like the "let's go one-two *clapclapclapclapclap* let's go one-two" that every 2 syllables team uses, or the "go one go! Go one go!" For one syllable teams ?

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk

HTTR 02-03-2022 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=FrenchSkin;1309963]But how do you chant it with any kind of rythme ? Like the "let's go one-two *clapclapclapclapclap* let's go one-two" that every 2 syllables team uses, or the "go one go! Go one go!" For one syllable teams ?

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

True, but . . .

Every NFL team has a one or two syllable name. The only exceptions (49ers, Cardinals, Buccaneers, Patriots) clip their name to fit the chant (Niners, Cards or Card-nals, Bucs, Pats). I imagine ours will be clipped to C’man-ders, though I personally like Commies. This opens the door to our defense (or I suppose our offense down the road) becoming the Red Menace and Dan Snyder being That Commie Bastard.

FrenchSkin 02-03-2022 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=HTTR;1309966]True, but . . .

Every NFL team has a one or two syllable name. The only exceptions (49ers, Cardinals, Buccaneers, Patriots) clip their name to fit the chant (Niners, Cards or Card-nals, Bucs, Pats). I imagine ours will be clipped to C’man-ders, though I personally like Commies. This opens the door to our defense (or I suppose our offense down the road) becoming the Red Menace and Dan Snyder being That Commie Bastard.[/QUOTE]Yeah that's my point, every other three or more syllables team can shorten it's name to one or two syllables. Many people said it before and I didn't really understood why it was a big deal, but now that I'm trying to move on with this name and picture myself cheering for the Commanders, I realize there's no easy natural way to chant this name or a shorten version of it...

skinsnut 02-03-2022 09:39 PM

Whoever mentioned being a fan of the team may be suffering from Stockholm Syndrome is a frickin Genius. Hats off to sports psychology of a Redskins fan.

sdskinsfan2001 02-03-2022 11:29 PM

Pigskins
Hogs
Redwolves

3 names that are all way better than Commanders and would have had a connection to our past while still being a fresh start.

How I feel about Dan and how he feels about us fans...

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/3VW85tE.gif?noredirect[/IMG]

sdskinsfan2001 02-03-2022 11:32 PM

They have to get rid of the solid colored pants. Especially on the home uniforms. Those all burgundy or red pants are hideous.

The home jerseys could be solid, but it looks like shit with those pants.

FrenchSkin 02-04-2022 02:42 AM

Since I won't change team, and since Jason said this was only the launching of the brand and they were going to create the rest of the identity, I gotta say I have very high expectations from both the FO and the fraction of the fan base supporting this name to come up with exciting ways to engage and support this team. For now we got a hard to shorten 3 syllables name and an AAF hashtag, but I'll wait.

Schneed10 02-04-2022 07:02 AM

I like the black a lot. The Commanders logo on the upper corner of the chest looks like a name tag on a military uniform. Nice touch.

The burgundy jersey looks good but have never liked us in the burgundy on burgundy pants look. It’s too much. They need to find a way for white pants to work with the burgundy jersey.

I would love the crest if they fixed the years. What’s stopping me from getting a crest hoodie is the laughs I’ll get from Eagles fans around here about the wrong dates. There are only so many people I’m willing to punch in the face in one day.

rocnrik 02-04-2022 08:24 AM

Everyone I talk to likes the name commanders.. nobody I know liked Hogs or pigs or red tails names .. so if you hate commanders others do not ..if you gotta have a short way to refer to team just call them DC … district commanders

MTK 02-04-2022 08:29 AM

Anything pig or hog related just sounds juvenile IMO. And if we thought the foreskin jokes were bad, imagine the easy picking that would come along with a swine related name. But in the end this is all totally subjective.

rocnrik 02-04-2022 08:35 AM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1309967]Yeah that's my point, every other three or more syllables team can shorten it's name to one or two syllables. Many people said it before and I didn't really understood why it was a big deal, but now that I'm trying to move on with this name and picture myself cheering for the Commanders, I realize there's no easy natural way to chant this name or a shorten version of it...

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk[/quote]

Cowboys playing DC today ( district commanders) .. just saying there can be other ways to refer to team ..

Chico23231 02-04-2022 08:41 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1309975]I like the black a lot. The Commanders logo on the upper corner of the chest looks like a name tag on a military uniform. Nice touch.

The burgundy jersey looks good but have never liked us in the burgundy on burgundy pants look. It’s too much. They need to find a way for white pants to work with the burgundy jersey.

I would love the crest if they fixed the years. [B]What’s stopping me from getting a crest hoodie is the laughs I’ll get from Eagles fans around here about the wrong dates. There are only so many people I’m willing to punch in the face in one day[/B].[/quote]

Lol…

After everything has settled, I think uniforms are fine. Every set looks cool…they didn’t stray too far IMO which is good. Looking forward to how it flashes on the field

I’m very meh on the name itself…it doesn’t do a lot for me. Redwolves or Wolves I really would have liked. Traditional and I just like nature.