Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21470)

ArtMonkDrillz 12-18-2007 03:00 PM

Re: Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay.

[QUOTE=Mattyk72;394655]Yeah I think people get caught up in the big name whiffs, and don't realize all the good things that he's done personnel wise. The good outnumbers the bad by far, but the big misses are what people remember.[/QUOTE]
But don't all the great mid- to late-round draft picks that [SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"][I][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Gibbs II: The Reckoning [/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE] has made make all the wasted picks for guys like Lloyd and Duckett stand out that much more?

#56fanatic 12-18-2007 03:05 PM

[quote=irish;394579]I didnt think Gibbs would be around for next year but with all the ST stuff and the injuries I really think he will be back and finish out his contract. As for additional years, I hope not. Its time for the Skins to move on and get a young coach in there that can stick around awhile.[/quote]

I agree with you mostly, however I do fell he will be here next year as coach. I am not so sure I would want him back after the contract is up. I think we should move GW into head coach, let Al run the offense as he sees fit. RUMOR : has Al being let go at the end of the year because Joe does not like the progression of the offense. I dont really like hearing that, as Jason would have to learn a whole new system and there is always growing pains with learning a whole new system. #'s show that Als system is progressive, the first year in the high 20's, 2nd year low 20's to high teens, then the third year is the big jump in the top 10. I want this outfit to show some consistancy. so when Joe decides to call it quits, we keep GW, move Blache to D-cord and let Al run the show on offense.

skinsfan_nn 12-18-2007 03:09 PM

[quote=mheisig;394588][IMG]http://extensibletech.com/images/funny/forks.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Darn, thats to funny! NICE WORK!

TheMalcolmConnection 12-18-2007 03:11 PM

[quote=#56fanatic;394664]I agree with you mostly, however I do fell he will be here next year as coach. I am not so sure I would want him back after the contract is up. I think we should move GW into head coach, let Al run the offense as he sees fit. RUMOR : has Al being let go at the end of the year because Joe does not like the progression of the offense. I dont really like hearing that, as Jason would have to learn a whole new system and there is always growing pains with learning a whole new system. #'s show that Als system is progressive, the first year in the high 20's, 2nd year low 20's to high teens, then the third year is the big jump in the top 10. I want this outfit to show some consistancy. so when Joe decides to call it quits, we keep GW, move Blache to D-cord and let Al run the show on offense.[/quote]

For someone who enjoys consistency, I would think it would be hard for Gibbs to want to move on that quick with Al. There's no WAY you can blame him for the offense. Sure, he should share some blame, but I'm talking like 20% of it.

skinsfan69 12-18-2007 03:11 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;394655]Yeah I think people get caught up in the big name whiffs, and don't realize all the good things that he's done personnel wise. The good outnumbers the bad by far, but the big misses are what people remember.[/quote]

W/out question the FO has done some good things in the draft. But if we miss the playoffs again that's 1-4 under Gibbs w/ alot of high priced coaches. So something is not right. And it all comes down to the 2nd half blown leads. Gibbs has to take some blame for that.

TheMalcolmConnection 12-18-2007 03:18 PM

I looked at the FA draft class of 2008 and honestly there are some real studs and real duds. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people in between. This year, we build through the draft and maybe we could throw some bucks at SS and I's man crush, Justin Smith.

DieHardSkinsFan777 12-18-2007 03:20 PM

I really hope this turns out to be the way Joe is leaning, not leaving until things are in order.

We are very close to being where we need to be as a team & organization.

This would be GREAT news if Joe stays.

SmootSmack 12-18-2007 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;394658]But don't all the great mid- to late-round draft picks that [SIZE="6"][COLOR="Red"][I][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Gibbs II: The Reckoning [/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE] has made make all the wasted picks for guys like Lloyd and Duckett stand out that much more?[/QUOTE]

Only to those who want them to stand out. Otherwise, no. Gibbs and his team estimated the better option in those rounds was to pass on any college talent and invest in current NFL players. It backfired, it happens. Doesn't need to be magnified any more than his successes.

SmootSmack 12-18-2007 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;394671]W/out question the FO has done some good things in the draft. But if we miss the playoffs again that's 1-4 under Gibbs w/ alot of high priced coaches. So something is not right. And it all comes down to the 2nd half blown leads. Gibbs has to take some blame for that.[/QUOTE]

"some blame" being the operative term

SmootSmack 12-18-2007 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=TheMalcolmConnection;394674]I looked at the FA draft class of 2008 and honestly there are some real studs and real duds. There doesn't seem to be a lot of people in between. This year, we build through the draft and maybe we could throw some bucks at SS and I's man crush, Justin Smith.[/QUOTE]

I had a man crush on Andre Carter a couple of years ago, and that's paid off nicely. :)

MTK 12-18-2007 03:29 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;394680]I had a man crush on Andre Carter a couple of years ago, and that's paid off nicely. :)[/quote]

I think there are alot of folks who still need to eat some crow on Andre Carter.

Bill B 12-18-2007 03:31 PM

[quote=Mattyk72;394655]Yeah I think people get caught up in the big name whiffs, and don't realize all the good things that he's done personnel wise. The good outnumbers the bad by far, but the big misses are what people remember.[/quote]

Matty - Gibbs has made some good pickups with late round picks - I guess where I am coming from as far as personel decisions is that Gibbs has made some wiffs on big name players but this outweighs his solid pickups by the fact that it has hurt the cap future of the team as well.

I am of the camp of building through the draft and picking up lots of undrafted/unheralded free agents and lower round picks because as you and many have pointed out executives hit and miss across the board, but at least if you miss with a lower pick or an unheralded free agent the cap consequences are not so great. Also, I think a lot of unproven players tend to play harder than a guy who signs a contract with a $10 million bonus (Brandon Llyod comes to mind as the player who gets the money and becomes a dud) because they want that to see that kind of money as well. I like how the Steelers operate and continuosly reload their team when players who had big years leave to sign huge contracts and the Steelers continue to replace them due to good scouting.

I think everyone needs to include cap management when they grade personnel decision making. Yes the Skins can always use cash to get over their cap problems in the near term, but it puts a heavy strain on picking up extra players and we all see that depth is so important in this league. Cap problems also makes the team restructure a lot of contracts which puts further stain on future salary caps.

To posters out there I ask - are you happy with the way the team's personnel decision making is with concerns to the way the Redskins handle their salary cap? Does anyone out there like to see our Skins $20 million over entering the 2008 salary cap? Do people like to see the Skins constantly have to restructure contracts and put further strain on future salary caps?

irish 12-18-2007 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=#56fanatic;394664]I agree with you mostly, however I do fell he will be here next year as coach. I am not so sure I would want him back after the contract is up. I think we should move GW into head coach, let Al run the offense as he sees fit. RUMOR : has Al being let go at the end of the year because Joe does not like the progression of the offense. I dont really like hearing that, as Jason would have to learn a whole new system and there is always growing pains with learning a whole new system. #'s show that Als system is progressive, the first year in the high 20's, 2nd year low 20's to high teens, then the third year is the big jump in the top 10. I want this outfit to show some consistancy. so when Joe decides to call it quits, we keep GW, move Blache to D-cord and let Al run the show on offense.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I said he will be back next year.

I really hope GW does not become head coach as i dont realyy think he was all that great when he had that job before and his D has been mediocre this year when they were supposed to be the bedrock of the team. I have also heard Danny does not like GW but puts up with him because Gibbs wants him. I just cant imagine Danny making someone he does not care for the head coach.

MTK 12-18-2007 03:35 PM

The Skins play the salary cap game better than anyone in the league. So for me no their cap mgmt. doesn't concern me all that much. Since 2000 we've heard of this impending cap doom yet it never seems to come. Why? It's simple, Danny and co. know what they're doing... at least when it comes to working the cap that is.

Bill B 12-18-2007 03:39 PM

[quote=Manusky91;394649]I was expecting Bill Cowher to come coach the Skins in '09 after Gibbs finished his contract. Cowher keeps saying that he will not coach next year, but has not ruled out '09 after his daughter graduates. It seemed like perfect timing for the Skins and Cowher.

That being said, I personally would like to see Gibbs on the sideline as long as he wants. I don't care what all the critics say about the game passing him by. I saw him do it before, I think he still has it in him to do it again.[/quote]

Manusky - I actually think I'd rather have Kevin Colbert more than Bill Cowher. I think what people need to think about more than the coach is the FO (GM) behind the coach. Unfortunately the Steelers are smart enough to know that good GM's are hard to find and resigned Colbert to a 5 year extension. Here is a story about Colbert and below is qoute from the Steelers owner on Kevin:

"We are very pleased to have Kevin continue as an important member of our front office for years to come," said Steelers president Art Rooney II in a statement. "[B]Obviously, he has played a vital role in our success over the past several years, including the Super Bowl title last season."[/B]
Colbert is in charge of the team's football operations, all player personnel and scouting decisions.

[url=http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06209/709243-66.stm]Steelers extend Colbert's contract[/url]