Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Horton Wins NFC Defensive Player of the Week (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=25275)

SFREDSKIN 09-17-2008 11:28 AM

Re: Horton Wins NFC Defensive Player of the Week

Here's some info on Horton from the combine:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/chris-horton?id=1982#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-overview]NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Chris Horton[/url]

firstdown 09-17-2008 11:51 AM

Zorn said that Horton WILL NOT START this week in his press conf.

53Fan 09-17-2008 11:00 PM

No one deserves it more. Glad we got him.

RedskinRat 09-18-2008 06:16 AM

[quote=saden1;477730]Anyone else notice how fast Horton is?[/quote]

Yes, back when I watched him play for UCLA.

That's why I was so keen on the Redskins signing him.

:food-smil

skinsnut 09-18-2008 02:45 PM

[quote=J. Spanky;477738]good for him. hopefully all his new supporters don’t turn on him when he makes a rookie mistake and gets burned.[/quote]

That is probably why they don't want him out to go against Kurt Warner.
That dude has great long ball vision....not to say Breese doesn't....but dont even try to compare the Saints WR's last week with what the Cardinals have.

Do I have more faith in Horton now....damn straight I do, but he would be targetted heavily against a savy squad of passers and receiver.
I say, start him against teams like the ravens to get used to average pass attacks...lets be honest, the Saints were not fully loaded last week and Horton did just fine.

BleedBurgundy 09-18-2008 03:19 PM

I put him at SS last night in Madden. Two interceptions and a forced fumble. Art imitating life?

dmvskinzfan08 09-18-2008 03:22 PM

[quote=gibbsisgod;477550]I do think he recovered a blocked punt once, but I could be wrong.[/quote]

Yeah you are correct. He did in the preseason game...Westbrook couldn't handle it and he came in and got the recovery. Forgot which game it was.

By Zorns comments and waht I've read on the redskins blog. Doughty is starting again. But I we get a big dose of Horton. He just has that ball hawk instinct & mentality and you can't teach that.

DirtyLandry 09-18-2008 05:24 PM

I don't know what the coaches see in Doughty. He is slow, always out of place and gets burned just as much as Archuleta did. It's not about what you do in practice but what you do on gameday. Horton showed us something even in preseason from the very moment he hit the field...he had a couple sacks and some very good tackles in his first action. I just hope that Blache isn't so stubborn and old school that he won't make a change much like Zorn did with Jon Jansen. Having said that, I understand the D's motto of "there are no starters". Greg Williams coached the same way. Doughty might know more of the playbook and has a good work ethic, but he is nowhere near Horton in terms of athletic ability. Horton has way more upside and needs to see way more time than RD.

RMSkins 09-18-2008 06:35 PM

[quote=DirtyLandry;478222]I don't know what the coaches see in Doughty. He is slow, always out of place and gets burned just as much as Archuleta did. It's not about what you do in practice but what you do on gameday. Horton showed us something even in preseason from the very moment he hit the field...he had a couple sacks and some very good tackles in his first action. I just hope that Blache isn't so stubborn and old school that he won't make a change much like Zorn did with Jon Jansen. Having said that, I understand the D's motto of "there are no starters". Greg Williams coached the same way. Doughty might know more of the playbook and has a good work ethic, but he is nowhere near Horton in terms of athletic ability. Horton has way more upside and needs to see way more time than RD.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly.

johnerotten 09-18-2008 07:17 PM

i don't see how they could have given it to anybody else.just a note on kurt warner,he's started 87 games in the nfl,and he has thrown for over 300 yards in 42 of them.

vallin21 09-18-2008 07:27 PM

Alot of fans on this site have Reed Doughty crushes. I always bring up the point, Dude what has Doughty done to deserve to start? And no one figures to answer it. [B]So[/B] if any of you guys think Doughty should start against the Cards or any game [B]please[/B] explain why.

53Fan 09-18-2008 10:23 PM

Why do you think Zorn and Blanche think he should start? I would imagine because he knows the system better right now. There is obviously some reason why Blanche wants him to start and I will trust his judgement since he's been doing this for so long. I think Horton is a hell of player. I told my girlfriend during preseason, this guy is something special. Is he better than Doughty? His upside is WAY better than Doughtys. But what is wrong with playing him part of the game until the coaches are satisfied that he knows the D well enough to start and won't make rookie mistakes? He ain't going anywhere. This kid keeps playing the way he played last week, he won't be on the bench for long.

SFREDSKIN 09-18-2008 11:38 PM

[quote=53Fan;478291]Why do you think Zorn and Blanche think he should start? I would imagine because he knows the system better right now. There is obviously some reason why Blanche wants him to start and I will trust his judgement since he's been doing this for so long. I think Horton is a hell of player. I told my girlfriend during preseason, this guy is something special. Is he better than Doughty? His upside is WAY better than Doughtys. But what is wrong with playing him part of the game until the coaches are satisfied that he knows the D well enough to start and won't make rookie mistakes? He ain't going anywhere. This kid keeps playing the way he played last week, he won't be on the bench for long.[/quote]

Like you said, it's called experience vs inexperience. Not too many teams start a rookie at safety especially a 7th rounder. We know he will be special, but for now experience is what counts and that's why Doughty starts, as Horton earns trust from the coaches he will be more involved. Patience to everyone, he will eventually start.

4thGenRedskin21 09-19-2008 01:10 AM

[quote=DirtyLandry;478222]I don't know what the coaches see in Doughty. He is slow, always out of place and gets burned just as much as Archuleta did. It's not about what you do in practice but what you do on gameday. Horton showed us something even in preseason from the very moment he hit the field...he had a couple sacks and some very good tackles in his first action. I just hope that Blache isn't so stubborn and old school that he won't make a change much like Zorn did with Jon Jansen. Having said that, I understand the D's motto of "there are no starters". Greg Williams coached the same way. Doughty might know more of the playbook and has a good work ethic, but he is nowhere near Horton in terms of athletic ability. Horton has way more upside and needs to see way more time than RD.[/quote]

Dirty, I usually agree with you, but Doughy doesnt make the same mistake twice. He and Landry were VERy good and a good reason why we were able to overcome the sean taylor tragedy and keep our secondary intact last year. Doughty is not slow, in fact, he's pretty quick, and he's smart, VEry smart. Which means he learns fast and gets better. Doughty came from a small school with not so good coaching, the coaches here saw that he had the raw talent and the smarts so they drafted him and he has done a great job for us, especially after being thust into sean taylors shoes. I dont know anyone who could have handled it better . He went out and played like Reed Doughty, and he didnt try to be Sean Taylor. Landry and Doughty have a good chemistry together and they dont give up big plays over the top. Doughty can also hit, and he's only a 2nd-3rd year player and he's only getting better and better. I dont see how you can knock Doughty...???

I agree Horton has shown in 1 game he can make plays, but he was at right place, at the right time. He didnt do anything super magnificent to get those INT's or that fumble return.. I feel much more comfortable with doughty back there right now because he knows our defense better and him and Landry have a good chemistry together and they play well together. I think Horton should be put in on situational downs and he can continue to improve his game. He's still a rookie, and in all seriousness, its very silly to say Horton has more upside than Doughty. Why would you say that?? what evidence tells you that Horton has more upside that Doughty?? They are both young, both late round draft picks, and both play for the redskins... Its not like doughty is some old player who isnt geting any better.. In fact, doughty has gotten better every game he played last year.. and i think he will continue to do so.. Greg Blache didnt call him Doughty "our safety" for no reason..

I realize doughtys white and he's not a sexy player like everyone wants it to be. but he gets the job done and he has done NOTHING to warrant him losing his job.. Thats one thing I cant stand, is when a player gets benched, even though he is playing good, for another player who is a "sexy player" or that Big hitter or whatever. but truely, we are fine at Safety now.. We have plenty of youth there Landry,Kareem Moore, Chris Horton, and Doughty.. If Horton would have beaten doughty our at camp, he would be starting. simple as that. I think it only benefits a player (especially late round picks) to sit and play behind vets because you not only get game time experience, they also get advice and get to watch 2nd hand what you are supposed to do and how to do it right... Some of hte best players in the league were sitting behind Vets for a few years before they start.. Because they knew they werent ready.. Tony Romo even said he would never have made it if he was thrust into starting the first 2-3 years he was inthe league... He said he cant tell anyone how much learning behind a vet helped him out. I think it's one of the intangibles that people forget about.. I honestly think its one reason our young guys come in and do so good. I think our Vets realllly help the young guys out and give them tips and things, and I think the rookies do what they say and play behind our good vets and then when they are called on, they are all ready to step up and make plays.. We have a good group of vets who I think have really helped our young guys out the past few years..

Ruhskins 09-19-2008 02:03 AM

The way people talk about Reed Doughty and how "bad" he has played, it makes me think that the expectations of him are that of a superstar, when I have always said that Doughty is an average player. Doughty should lose his job either because his performance drops and/or because Horton outperforms hims after a number of games. Doughty should not lose his job b/c he caught a f'ing stomach virus. Rookies are going to perform well in one game, and as Blache would say it can break your heart the next. I don't think the team is going to risk that with the type of passing game that we're going to face this Sunday.

That being said, I tried to find some way to measure RD's performance, and all I could find was # of tackles (since there are some claims that he can't tackle). In seven games (from Wk 13 of last season to this season's Wk 1 game against the Giants) here are RDs tackle stats:

Total Tkls: 45; Total Solo Tkls: 29; Total Ast Tkls: 16; Pass Def: 2
Avg Tkls/Game: 6.4; Avg Solo Tkls/Game: 29
Best Performance (Wk 15 vs. NYG): 11 Tkls, 7 Solo, 1 Pass Def
Worst Performance (Wk 16 @ MIN): 2 Tkls, 1 Solo, 0 Pass Def
Last Performance: 6 Tkls, 4 Solo, 0 Pass Def

Based on just number of tackles, RD's numbers are higher than other Free Safeties in the division . His two pass defended were comparable to other safeties in the division, save for Hamlin of the Cowpokes who had a significant higher number of PDs.

No one is taking away from Horton's performance and potential. We are lucky to have such a good young player. However, stop making arguments that Horton should start after just one game. He needs to develop this season, and could be a starter at the end of the season. But just don't call for a change in roster just b/c of a stomach virus.