Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Draft Busts. How do they fool us and the NFL? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=63896)

SolidSnake84 05-08-2017 06:12 PM

Draft Busts. How do they fool us and the NFL?

[url=http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000000807087/Wyche-on-RGIII-He-is-an-absolute-afterthought]Steve Wyche on Robert Griffin III: 'He is an absolute afterthought' - NFL Videos[/url]

I saw this video today and started thinking about how it should have been obvious to all involved that RG3 was not NFL material. This is not a post to bash on RG3, we've already done that.

The question i'm posing is more simple. How do these guys fool us as fans, and worse, fool NFL pros like coaches, scouts, GM's, etc..? You'd think after seeing so many NFL busts over the years, that possibly some better, more thorough system of some kind would be in place to stop this sort of thing.

Is it just so easy to fool these guys by having a rocket arm or being able to run a fast 40? Not a joke thread, I just seriously wonder about this kind of stuff when we see so much in hindsight....

Glasgow Celtic 05-08-2017 06:15 PM

Re: Draft Busts. How do they fool us and the NFL?

Maybe if his knees were stronger RG3 could have made a career

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

rocnrik 05-08-2017 06:38 PM

Frail looking football players don't last...RGIII always looked to me skinny and frail add the fact that he liked to run around was a disaster waiting to happen..what you get away with in college does not mean you can transfer that to the NFL.However with all that said his rookie year was great but after that injury and the NFL D coordinators had tape on him they shut him down making it hard on him to continue that level of play..He is not our first QB taken high in draft to not pan out..anybody remember Heath Shuler?? I don't fault anybody on a miss in the draft but really have a problem with Free agent bust..how the heck did they screw up the Fat Albert Haynesworthless choice and the Donovan Mcnabb should have retired an Eagle signings..you can whiff a draft pick but not a major Free agent signing..just ask the texans about that !!

SolidSnake84 05-08-2017 06:47 PM

We are doing great here discussing past NFL busts, but my question specifically was, what are these guys doing in college, in workouts, etc., that are fooling all of the talent evaluators into making them think that they will succeed in the NFL.

RG3 is actually a great example i guess, because he was always skinny and frail, i believe he had two major knee injuries while at Baylor, and one total knee reconstruction. Somebody somewhere should have realized he couldn't take hits at the pro level, but i guess they were enamored enough by *something*, that they figured on their team that stuff wouldn't happen to them. Here we are not even five years later and RG3 has played his last down. I would say had it not been for that fluke 2012 season, we could talk about him just like Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus

skinsfaninok 05-08-2017 07:16 PM

2012 was a crazy yr for me as a fan and personally, one I'll never forget. I'll always remember RG3, he sparked so much energy back into me as a fan of this team. Yeah he was a 1 yr wonder but damn that was a fun 1 yr.

Irrefutable 05-08-2017 07:23 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1170355]2012 was a crazy yr for me as a fan and personally, one I'll never forget. I'll always remember RG3, he sparked so much energy back into me as a fan of this team. Yeah he was a 1 yr wonder but damn that was a fun 1 yr.[/quote]

it was a very expensive mistake................ 3 first round picks +

Glasgow Celtic 05-08-2017 07:24 PM

[QUOTE=Irrefutable;1170356]it was a very expensive mistake................ 3 first round picks +[/QUOTE]
Is that you Colombo?

skinsfaninok 05-08-2017 07:28 PM

[quote=Irrefutable;1170356]it was a very expensive mistake................ 3 first round picks +[/quote]

eh.. Draft picks are so hit and miss anymore, maybe it wasn't that bad

Chico23231 05-08-2017 07:48 PM

[quote=Glasgow Celtic;1170357]Is that you Colombo?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk[/quote]

:laughing2

I just don't want to dwell on this shit. Red flags were there...gimmick offense. You need a pocket passer to win consistently.

Glasgow Celtic 05-08-2017 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=Chico23231;1170359]:laughing2

I just don't want to dwell on this shit. Red flags were there...gimmick offense. You need a pocket passer to win consistently.[/QUOTE]
I know for what it's worth in Glaswiegen

At u Colombo?

But what a ride he gave us, still don't know whether to blame him or Shanny for not hooking him when it looked like his knee was going against the cuntbirds.

Irrefutable 05-08-2017 07:57 PM

[quote=Glasgow Celtic;1170357]Is that you Colombo?

Einstein what was the price ?

Glasgow Celtic 05-08-2017 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=Irrefutable;1170362]Einstein what was the price ?[/QUOTE]
1 million dollars sir.

Bangee7 05-08-2017 08:50 PM

[quote=Glasgow Celtic;1170361]I know for what it's worth in Glaswiegen

At u Colombo?

But what a ride he gave us, still don't know whether to blame him or Shanny for not hooking him when it looked like his knee was going against the cuntbirds.

Shanny was all in it...remember the whole "Dr Andrews said he was good" stuff? That's about when the circus clowns appeared on their bikes.

J. Falcon 05-08-2017 09:08 PM

RG3 could have lasted a lot longer and probably even have been better if he had just learned to slide.

skinsfan69 05-08-2017 09:37 PM

Griffin can't protect himself, refuses to try to protect himself and can't beat you from the pocket. He's had plenty of chances when healthy so the knee was never the issue.

High risk w/ spread qb's. You can go all the way back to Andre Ware. It rarely works. Yet every year they' re taken high with multipe picks involved. Watson will struggle in Houston. Trubisky doesn't have a chance in hell. The kid from Texas Tech? He might have a chance cause of Andy Reid. Maybe,