Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Josh Johnson Thread (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64276)

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 09:38 AM

The Josh Johnson Thread

I think this guy deserves his own thread, lets think about what has been asked of this guy. Former Raiders practice squad QB that was cut in August, he signed to the AAF - [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_of_American_Football[/url]

The San Diego Fleet - Head coach is Mike Martz...

I will admit I had no idea this was even a thing...

So he comes in to a team that is nose diving faster than a missile and what does he do in his first start??? He beats the Jags on the road with 2 very good late game scoring drives. Yes I realize the Jags suck but they do not suck on defense (still a top 10 defense). The guy has played well in his limited time.

3 Total Td's 1 Int in 1 1/2 games played. He has a QBR of 98.2.

What I'm trying to say here is this guy has a chance to make history for himself and this franchise, he's the 4th QB to start a game this season! He could also very well save Jay's job if he does get this team to 9-7.

To be honest he looks better than Cold did and obviously Mark. The Titans and Eagles are both fighting for playoff spots like we are, but both games are winnable if the defense shows up.

Kudos to Josh Johnson for giving this team a shot when we all thought it was over.

CRedskinsRule 12-17-2018 09:50 AM

Re: The Josh Johnson Thread

For him to come in off the streets basically, and rally the team around him, that's impressive. If Gruden can find the right rhythm of play calling, maybe JJ can lead the team on a streak. I don't think it would be a Eagles type run but this team had some parts working before the wheels fell off.

sevier2 12-17-2018 09:51 AM

Definitely a nice surprise. It was great seeing how excited he was after the win. Hopefully that rubs off on the other guys.

rocnrik 12-17-2018 09:53 AM

I like JJ !! There are great advantages with a mobile QB especially when your o line is full of backups.. the only disadvantage is the injury factor of running but he seems to get down and tries to avoid the big hit. I hope he plays well next two games and gets a shot to be on roster next year!

skinsfan69 12-17-2018 10:14 AM

I'm not ready to crown the guy. His biggest play should have been a int and possibly the game would have been over right there. He also fumbled and Moses luckily got it back. I think you can see why the guy isn't in the league. But what I liked is he competed hard, got a few big plays with his legs and we won the game. It also helped that the Jags offense is worse than ours. They are just awful.

Buffalo Bob 12-17-2018 10:16 AM

Is he the oldest player ever to have his first NFL win as a starting QB? I didn't have any luck Googling, but didn't spend much time at it. I am happy for him, not happy for the saving of the Gruden's job part. The team obviously needs a coach that instills some discipline.

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 10:22 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1213498]I'm not ready to crown the guy. His biggest play should have been a int and possibly the game would have been over right there. He also fumbled and Moses luckily got it back. I think you can see why the guy isn't in the league. But what I liked is he competed hard, got a few big plays with his legs and we won the game. It also helped that the Jags offense is worse than ours. They are just awful.[/quote]

He's a good athlete, he was the 1st overall pick in that league lol, I know that isn't saying much but still. I agree, the Jags are god awful on O, So this week against Ten, which isn't a great Offense either is a winnable game. I watch Mariota on film every week, he will turn it over if u get the pressure in his face, the key is stopping Derrick Henry who all of the sudden looks like a god.

Back2RFK 12-17-2018 10:23 AM

You have to love when a guy gets a second, third, forth, etc.... chance and plays hard. He has 3 game to show if he can play in the NFL and could play his way as a back up for some team next year. I give the entire team credit for not giving up because I thought we were done in the 4 qtr.

SFREDSKIN 12-17-2018 10:26 AM

He said Fuck it!!

[url]https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/josh-johnson-redskins-had-message-jaguars-game-f-it[/url]

BaltimoreSkins 12-17-2018 10:38 AM

[quote=rocnrik;1213494]I like JJ !! There are great advantages with a mobile QB especially when your o line is full of backups.. the only disadvantage is the injury factor of running but he seems to get down and tries to avoid the big hit. I hope he plays well next two games and gets a shot to be on roster next year![/quote]

Since Lamar Jackson has taken over the Ravens vaulted from 27th rushing in the league to 7th. Before yesterday in the five games he played they out ran the opposing team by over 600 yards. That is TOP and ball control. Injuries can be an issue but in designed runs hits are limited. The key is deception in hand offs and defense having to respect the RPO. oh what could have been if RG3 took care of his body

KI Skins Fan 12-17-2018 10:46 AM

JJ has done a remarkable job so far. He has contributed far more than i expected of him. I'm happy for him.

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 10:47 AM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1213508]Since Lamar Jackson has taken over the Ravens vaulted from 27th rushing in the league to 7th. Before yesterday in the five games he played they out ran the opposing team by over 600 yards. That is TOP and ball control. Injuries can be an issue but in designed runs hits are limited. The key is deception in hand offs and defense having to respect the RPO. oh what could have been if RG3 took care of his body[/quote]

The Titans see RPO in practice daily so they will be prepared for it but if AD can move the chains some it will be huge to open it up. Also now we can roll out much more , which we never did with Alex.

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 10:50 AM

[url]https://thefandc.radio.com/redskins-josh-johnson-reminds-experts-alex-smith[/url]

"It wasn't pretty, but it was a very Alex Smith-type performance," Hall told the Junkies. "He protected the ball, he got out of the pocket when he needed to, he made plays with his feet. And he threw some passes in there that you felt good about moving forward."

BaltimoreSkins 12-17-2018 11:23 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1213511]The Titans see RPO in practice daily so they will be prepared for it but if AD can move the chains some it will be huge to open it up. Also now we can roll out much more , which we never did with Alex.[/quote]

Maybe. I would assume they are practicing against the scout team with the offense they play against that week. Still the Titans D is very good.

FrenchSkin 12-17-2018 11:34 AM

Happy for the guy and for the team.
Still want Jay gone at the end of the season but credit him for this signing.

I also like the fact that the team seemed way more energised than the previous weeks. Is there a link? Don't know, but I think the difference between wins and losses for this team right now is pride or no pride, pumped up or deflated.

If they can stay pumped they might be able to pull this off. But I don't think this team under Gruden has shown the ability to sustain success.
This is why I think Tenessee's offense will move the ball at the very least a bit more than the Jags did against us. And I'm not sure our offense can give us enough to overcome that against their D.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 11:38 AM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1213529]Happy for the guy and for the team.

I also like the fact that the team seemed way more energised than the previous weeks. Is there a link? Don't know, but I think the difference between wins and losses for this team right now is pride or no pride, pumped up or deflated.

If they can stay pumped they might be able to pull this off. But I don't think this team under Gruden has shown the ability to sustain success.
This is why I think Tenessee's offense will move the ball at the very least a bit more than the Jags did against us. And I'm not sure our offense can give us enough to overcome that against their D.

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk[/quote]

I said 8-8 would have been a good season back in August, now it would be a very good season considering we lost Alex at 6-3. I will admit Jay showed me something yesterday, he called better plays in the 2nd half and let JJ run more. That element is a big factor on defenses.

Buffalo Bob 12-17-2018 12:16 PM

[quote=FrenchSkin;1213529]Happy for the guy and for the team.

[B]I also like the fact that the team seemed way more energised than the previous weeks.[/B] [/quote]

That is obvious, but why did it happen? Did JJ get them fired up? Most looked like they flat out quit against the Giants, against the Jags it was a different team.

FrenchSkin 12-17-2018 12:32 PM

[quote=Buffalo Bob;1213536]That is obvious, but why did it happen? Did JJ get them fired up? Most looked like they flat out quit against the Giants, against the Jags it was a different team.[/quote]

As I said, don't know if there's a link... But didn't you feel like everybody tried a little harder when Josh came in than when Mark Sanchez was playing during the Giants game ?
I thought the same thing when Colt came in after Smith's injury... so, and I know I'm making a shaky point here, but stay with me, I'm guessing there might be something to a locker room generally being inclined to like the back up QB, and be excited for the guy's opportunity when he gets one...

I mean I get a D prepares for one guy and then gets to play another one that they didn't gameplan for... but how many times have we seen a team have more success when their back up QB came in ? Just this year look at the Eagles, the niners, and us... Ok and then there's Cody Kessler to prove me wrong...

But I do think to a certain extent the empathy for "the other guy" can be a mental boost for a locker room, if the said other guy has the leadership ability to create that.

REDSKINS4ever 12-17-2018 01:12 PM

He did a good job yesterday. There's still two remaining games. He'll turn 33 before next season and the Redskins already have two other QB over 30....Plus the team would be wise to draft at least two quarterbacks because youth is needed at that position. J
Johnson is not the answer....even as a 3rd string QB.

skinsfan69 12-17-2018 01:13 PM

[quote=BaltimoreSkins;1213508]Since Lamar Jackson has taken over the Ravens vaulted from 27th rushing in the league to 7th. Before yesterday in the five games he played they out ran the opposing team by over 600 yards. That is TOP and ball control. Injuries can be an issue but in designed runs hits are limited. The key is deception in hand offs and defense having to respect the RPO. oh what could have been if RG3 took care of his body[/quote]

Baltimore is riding the ground game right now and they should. But it will eventually crash and burn. You can't run that type of offense in the NFL. Baltimore will get behind in games at some point and they will be helpless. Also it's a matter of time before Jackson will get hurt.

skinsfaninok 12-17-2018 01:29 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1213545]Baltimore is riding the ground game right now and they should. But it will eventually crash and burn. You can't run that type of offense in the NFL. Baltimore will get behind in games at some point and they will be helpless. Also it's a matter of time before Jackson will get hurt.[/quote]

Lamar is a terrible passer, I can't believe the Ravens think he's the future. He's RG3 all over and u are right eventually he's going to get hurt taking those hits.

MTK 12-17-2018 09:14 PM

What impressed me most about JJ was his poise. He did a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

punch it in 12-17-2018 10:00 PM

I’ve been saying since he came in for Sanchez in the Giants game that I liked what I saw and that it’s all aboard the JJ train for 9-7 and a playoff birth...welcome aboard all. [emoji847]

BaltimoreSkins 12-17-2018 10:01 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1213546]Lamar is a terrible passer, I can't believe the Ravens think he's the future. He's RG3 all over and u are right eventually he's going to get hurt taking those hits.[/quote]

He is a bad passer. I saw a statistic on TV that the only QB ever to improve on the completion percentage from college to the pros was Joe Montana. So basically you have a guy in college with a 63% completion percentage don't expect them to start hitting 65% of their passes.

BaltimoreSkins 12-17-2018 10:13 PM

[quote=punch it in;1213569]I’ve been saying since he came in for Sanchez in the Giants game that I liked what I saw and that it’s all aboard the JJ train for 9-7 and a playoff birth...welcome aboard all. [emoji847][/quote]

Listening to him talk post game I was hoping the Skins let him keep the jersey, he had such a great attitude.

mooby 12-18-2018 06:19 AM

Is he better than Sanchize? Yeah, but that bar was set incredibly low. Sanchize couldn't even complete passes.

I like JJ and all but the reality is he's a backup qb who will be 33 next year. Maybe it's time to get younger at the position.

SolidSnake84 12-18-2018 06:26 AM

[quote=mooby;1213577]Is he better than Sanchize? Yeah, but that bar was set incredibly low. Sanchize couldn't even complete passes.

I like JJ and all but the reality is he's a backup qb who will be 33 next year. Maybe it's time to get younger at the position.[/quote]

Uncertainty regarding Alex Smith's injury situation next year, as well as the fact that Colt has been injury prone as a pro, we almost have to have a young #3 QB in case he is needed. If Alex doesn't start at the beginning of next year, or misses most / all of next season, then Colt will be QB1. Could Josh Johnson be the backup, and then have a #3 draft pick / affordable QB at #3?

skinsfaninok 12-18-2018 08:15 AM

[quote=SolidSnake84;1213578]Uncertainty regarding [B]Alex [/B]Smith's injury situation next year, as well as the fact that [B]Colt[/B] has been injury prone as a pro, we almost have to have a young #3 QB in case he is needed. If Alex doesn't start at the beginning of next year, or misses most / all of next season, then Colt will be QB1. Could Josh Johnson be the backup, and then have a #3 draft pick / affordable QB at #3?[/quote]

These 2 may not even be in DC next yr

skinsfaninok 12-18-2018 08:17 AM

[quote=MTK;1213566]What impressed me most about JJ was his poise. He did a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

He has that "I have nothing to lose" attitude and that works in our favor.

punch it in 12-18-2018 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=mooby;1213577]Is he better than Sanchize? Yeah, but that bar was set incredibly low. Sanchize couldn't even complete passes.

I like JJ and all but the reality is he's a backup qb who will be 33 next year. Maybe it's time to get younger at the position.[/QUOTE]

Definitely not the future by any means, but it could be an awesome little story if he wins out and we get a playoff birth. Would certainly deserve a backup spot next year if he pulls it off.

BigSKINBauer 12-18-2018 08:05 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1213504]He said Fuck it!!

[url]https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/josh-johnson-redskins-had-message-jaguars-game-f-it[/url][/quote]

I like it better than "you like that".

Back2RFK 12-19-2018 05:20 PM

If the Skins beat the Titans I'll buy a JJ jersey if they even sell them.

jamf 12-19-2018 05:57 PM

[quote=punch it in;1213627]Definitely not the future by any means, but it could be an awesome little story if he wins out and we get a playoff birth. Would certainly deserve a backup spot next year if he pulls it off.[/quote]

Sounds like you are hoping for a Christmas Miracle.

Only thing that is going to happen is an epic finger blasting courtesy of the Titans.

Redskins get shutout in this one.
While I love Silky Johnson, he isn't able to go deep. The Titans D is going stuff our box with 9 dudes at a time.

Fortunately, Asa Akira is our 3rd string QB.

5superbowls3wins 12-19-2018 08:36 PM

[QUOTE=mooby;1213577]Is he better than Sanchize? Yeah, but that bar was set incredibly low. Sanchize couldn't even complete passes.

I like JJ and all but the reality is he's a backup qb who will be 33 next year. Maybe it's time to get younger at the position.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Alex Smith couldn’t complete passes over 5 yards either. AP and the defense are who kept us in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinsfan69 12-19-2018 09:24 PM

[quote=jamf;1213721]Sounds like you are hoping for a Christmas Miracle.

Only thing that is going to happen is an epic finger blasting courtesy of the Titans.

Redskins get shutout in this one.
While I love Silky Johnson, he isn't able to go deep. The Titans D is going stuff our box with 9 dudes at a time.

[B]Fortunately, Asa Akira is our 3rd string QB.[/quote]
[/B]

Am I fucked up by knowing who that already is w/out having to Google? :embarrass

DYoungJelly 12-19-2018 09:39 PM

I can't remember which thread the discussion of Cooley's pod was in, but there is a link and transcript of the whole thing on Reddit right now.

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comments/a7t00m/heres_the_audio_a_transcript_and_comparison_of/?utm_source=reddit-android[/url]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

FrenchSkin 12-20-2018 01:14 AM

[quote=DYoungJelly;1213728]I can't remember which thread the discussion of Cooley's pod was in, but there is a link and transcript of the whole thing on Reddit right now.

[url]https://www.reddit.com/r/Redskins/comments/a7t00m/heres_the_audio_a_transcript_and_comparison_of/?utm_source=reddit-android[/url]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk[/quote]

Listening to the Jags offensive film break down, he's taking some massive low key shots at Jay IMO.

He said it was as bad as he's seen on film, that we're completely lost in the blocking assignments both in the run and the pass games, that when you have guys moving around you should try to make it simple for them, that we're not scheming to help our weaknesses...

He wouldn't grade any Olinemen this week. It's that bad.

He keeps saying he's not taking shot at any player or coach, that he's just educating the fans on what's not working... But when you keep pointing out bad scheme and un-preparation across the board, you are throwing some shade at the HC.

EDIT: Cooley finished his podcast saying Jay needs to simplify his run plays, to adapt to what's happening, to the players he has. He made a comparison saying he coached some 11 years old flag football, he was having fun with his playbook until he realised they had no idea what he was talking about...

Man I don't know if this is a bigger shot on Jay or on the players... but something is not done right in this locker room when pretty much nobody really knows what their blocking assignments are... from, OL through WRs, TEs and backs...

Buffalo Bob 12-20-2018 07:46 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1213727][/B]

Am I fucked up by knowing who that already is w/out having to Google? :embarrass[/quote]

I even Google some of the stuff you guys post and still don't get the punch line.
Must be the generation gap.

KI Skins Fan 12-20-2018 08:04 AM

[quote=Buffalo Bob;1213740]I even Google some of the stuff you guys post and still don't get the punch line.
Must be the generation gap.[/quote]

Keep talking about us old guys and I'll start a Norm Snead thread. That'll fix your wagon, you little whipper-snapper!

:joke:

Chico23231 12-20-2018 08:05 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1213727][/B]

Am I fucked up by knowing who that already is w/out having to Google? :embarrass[/quote]

lol I had to google that name last night...wow. I need to get back into Asian chicks....its been awhile since ive had the other white meat.