Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trent Williams holding out for new deal (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64385)

Irrefutable 10-21-2019 11:08 PM

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1235062]$$$$ and will probably get franchised, how do you know he won’t?[/quote]

Scherff is the type of player who plays to win, not money for a lavish lifestyle.

BigHairedAristocrat 10-22-2019 10:13 AM

[quote=Warthog;1235020]TW is not coming back and has said so repeatedly. I see zero chance he comes back in week 10 or the next preseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

BS. TW had not said ONE WORD publicly during the holdout.

Chico23231 10-22-2019 10:40 AM

Sanu fetches a second round pick? LOL...the values for players right now are much higher than they will be for the offseason and its NOT close.

Its criminal we aren't actively working the phones for TW and Kerrigan.

BigHairedAristocrat 10-22-2019 11:57 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1235090]Sanu fetches a second round pick? LOL...the values for players right now are much higher than they will be for the offseason and its NOT close.

Its criminal we aren't actively working the phones for TW and Kerrigan.[/quote]

If Trent doesn't show up at all this year, he'll have 2 years left on his deal next year. Right now the only team rumored to be interested in Trent is the browns. If we wait until the offseason, there will be more of a trade market than there is now, which means we could probably get more for him.

I don't agree we should be trying to move Kerrigan. He's still young, extremely talented, a leader on the team, and one of the few players that seems to actually want to be here. If we are ever going to build a good culture here, he's a veteran we're going to want to have around. Even if someone offered a first for him, I wouldn't take it. We used our two first rounders this year on two players who, so far, appear to be busts - or at least not worthy of where they were drafted. Kerrigan is a proven thing. Id much rather have him than gamble on another first rounder with a front office that seems incapable of hitting on first round picks.

Chico23231 10-22-2019 07:22 PM

[quote=BigHairedAristocrat;1235097]If Trent doesn't show up at all this year, he'll have 2 years left on his deal next year. Right now the only team rumored to be interested in Trent is the browns. If we wait until the offseason, there will be more of a trade market than there is now, which means we could probably get more for him.

I don't agree we should be trying to move Kerrigan. He's still young, extremely talented, a leader on the team, and one of the few players that seems to actually want to be here. If we are ever going to build a good culture here, he's a veteran we're going to want to have around. Even if someone offered a first for him, I wouldn't take it. We used our two first rounders this year on two players who, so far, appear to be busts - or at least not worthy of where they were drafted. Kerrigan is a proven thing. Id much rather have him than gamble on another first rounder with a front office that seems incapable of hitting on first round picks.[/quote]

The ability to get a team to make a desperate move and overpay is greatest right now than the offseason. We are seeing it happen 3 times in the last week capped today with sanu with a second...completely an over pay. We should at least attempt to make a trade for TW. If we don’t like it, then don’t take it and wait til the offseason. But if it’s a first round plus an additional pick, it would be foolish to turn it down. New England offered a first. Browns call every week? This offseason more players will be available in the draft and free agency at Tackle...it’s economics.

I don’t understand why you want Kerrigan past his prime playing on 11 million for a team going thru a rebuild. You could get a 3rd or 2nd in this market, you take it to continue a rebuild. The only explanation is you want to extend him...past his prime extension that will cost 10 million plus a year? It simply doesn’t make sense. He hasn’t been very good this year.

SFREDSKIN 10-22-2019 08:37 PM

Scherff wants to be a Redskin for life:

[url]https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/brandon-scherff-i-want-be-redskin-rest-my-career[/url]

Irrefutable 10-23-2019 09:13 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1235149]Scherff wants to be a Redskin for life:

[url]https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/brandon-scherff-i-want-be-redskin-rest-my-career[/url][/quote]

Then why didn't he sign the offer to be one of the top paid guards in the NFL?

SFREDSKIN 10-23-2019 09:46 AM

[quote=Irrefutable;1235178]Then why didn't he sign the offer to be one of the top paid guards in the NFL?[/quote]

He was lowballed and there is a new bargaining agreement coming up.

GridIron26 10-23-2019 09:49 AM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1235181]He was [B]lowballed[/B] and there is a new bargaining agreement coming up.[/quote]

Scherff was offered a contract that would value him as 2nd highest paid guard in NFL, I don't see how that is a lowball offer? I'm certain Scherff's agent told him to wait for new CBA agreements, which is a smart move on their end.

SunnySide 10-23-2019 09:58 AM

[quote=Irrefutable;1235178]Then why didn't he sign the offer to be one of the top paid guards in the NFL?[/quote]

It was leaked that they offered 13M per but we dont know the guaranteed money. The avg per year means nothing. Also the guaranteed money offered is kinda window dressing when a player is on an option or tag year.

Hypothetical Example - prior to the 2019 season, the Redskins offered Scherff 4 yr 52M extension with 25M guaranteed. Problem is 12.5M of that guaranteed money offered is already guaranteed to Scherff in 2019 bc of his 5th year option.

if Scherff signs, he gets 25M guaranteed over 2 years, then plays the remaining 2 years on a team friendly contract where if he is seriously injured, the team can cut him and not have any real cap implications. Thus he plays 2 years, gets injured .. he actually just signed a 2 yr 25M contract.

If Scherff doesnt sign the extension, he gets 27M guaranteed over 2 years (12.5M in 2019 on 5th yr option, 15M on tag for 2020) and then Scherff will be a FA and not subject to playing 2 more years under team control with little say so on whether he is injured, abruptly cut etc ..

[url]https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/9/23/20880688/report-redskins-offered-brandon-scherff-contract-extension-worth-more-than-13-million-per-year[/url]

[url]https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce-allen-redskins-offered-kirk-cousins-53-million-but-he-prefers-franchise-tag/[/url]

While the Skins would love to pretend like the guaranteed money they offer is new found guaranteed money .. it really isnt. You have to discount it against what the player would get if they dont sign and play on the option and then tag.

edit - I imagine if the extension kicks in after the 5th year option, the numbers might change a bit .. not smart or motivated enough to do the math on that.

BigHairedAristocrat 10-23-2019 10:46 AM

[quote=Chico23231;1235148]The ability to get a team to make a desperate move and overpay is greatest right now than the offseason. We are seeing it happen 3 times in the last week capped today with sanu with a second...completely an over pay. We should at least attempt to make a trade for TW. If we don’t like it, then don’t take it and wait til the offseason. But if it’s a first round plus an additional pick, it would be foolish to turn it down. New England offered a first. Browns call every week? This offseason more players will be available in the draft and free agency at Tackle...it’s economics.

I don’t understand why you want Kerrigan past his prime playing on 11 million for a team going thru a rebuild. You could get a 3rd or 2nd in this market, you take it to continue a rebuild. The only explanation is you want to extend him...past his prime extension that will cost 10 million plus a year? It simply doesn’t make sense. He hasn’t been very good this year.[/quote]

The only team that we know has offered us a first was new England months ago and i'm sorry, but no way would i take the 31/32 overall for TW at that time. I would imagine they would no longer be willing to give up their first for TW, especially when they just gave up their 2nd for Sanu.

As far as Kerrigan goes, he's not past his prime. He's IN his prime. And you cant build a winning culture without veteran leaders like him on the team. Kerrigan is another player that I think is undervalued in the rest of the league. No one would pay him top dollar. I would expect his extension to be reasonable and relatively team-friendly.

MTK 10-23-2019 11:59 AM

Because he wants to be THE highest paid, not one of them.

skinsfaninok 10-23-2019 12:33 PM

they better sign him before Nelson gets his $

BigHairedAristocrat 10-23-2019 02:04 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;1235217]they better sign him before Nelson gets his $[/quote]

Nelson > Scherff by a significant margin. A Nelson deal might actually help establish the ceiling for Scherff as he'll know he can't expect more.

MTK 10-23-2019 02:57 PM

Nelson is only in year two, long way to go until he'll get a new deal