Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Updated:At Least 33 Dead in Va. Tech Shooting (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=17851)

SmootSmack 04-16-2007 10:45 AM

Updated:At Least 33 Dead in Va. Tech Shooting

All the Virginia Tech guys on this board please let us know you're ok

[url=http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3045318]ABC News: Virginia Tech Reports Shooting[/url]

gibbsisgod 04-16-2007 10:53 AM

Re: One Confirmed Dead in Virginia Tech Shooting

I have a few friends who attend VT. I pray they are OK!

gibbsisgod 04-16-2007 10:57 AM

It really sucks when they don't release the names of the victims. I understand why they do it but when you have friends or loved ones involved it can be very upsetting.

hesscl34 04-16-2007 11:10 AM

Very upsetting!

TheMalcolmConnection 04-16-2007 11:20 AM

I wonder if this has anything to do with Girls Gone Wild coming to campus this weekend? That would be a WEIRD correlation if that's the case.

JWsleep 04-16-2007 12:19 PM

Hope everyone's ok! Prayers to all the victims.

Warpath 04-16-2007 12:22 PM

On the RIchmond news at noon they went to a live feed from VA Tech, and WDBJ Roanoke said there is 22 dead. Thats so insane! They also say that the shooter is now deceased as well.

724Skinsfan 04-16-2007 12:22 PM

Latest news conference: At least 20 DEAD!

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-16-2007 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=724Skinsfan;298102]Latest news conference: At least 20 DEAD![/QUOTE]

Crazy stuff. If true, that would be worse than Columbine. I wonder if it's related to a terrorist plot, or if it's just a pair of losers. In either case, just tragic.

JWsleep 04-16-2007 12:32 PM

Unbelievable. What a tragedy.

SmootSmack 04-16-2007 12:35 PM

C'mon Big C. Tell us you're ok

12thMan 04-16-2007 12:40 PM

WP is reporting at least 20 dead.

[url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/16/AR2007041600533.html?hpid=topnews]At Least 20 Killed in Virginia Tech Shooting - washingtonpost.com[/url]

ArtMonkDrillz 04-16-2007 12:41 PM

The fact that the two shooting happened so far apart is pretty troubling.
Also, I was just reading that there have been a bunch of bomb threats for different buildings around campus lately.
This is pretty scary.

ArtMonkDrillz 04-16-2007 12:45 PM

Re: At Least 20 Dead in Va. Tech Shooting

I'm confused about something. Was one gunman taken into custody and another killed (either by the cops or himself)?

Beemnseven 04-16-2007 12:46 PM

I assume firearms are not allowed on campus.

Sooner or later this country will to have to rethink that policy.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-16-2007 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;298112]I assume firearms are not allowed on campus.

Sooner or later this country will to have to rethink that policy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But some will likely twist this incident into a basis for loosening gun laws (i.e., "If all the students were packing, then we'd be fine").

Hog1 04-16-2007 12:49 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;298111]I'm confused about something. Was one gunman taken into custody and another killed (either by the cops or himself)?[/quote]

Last report, one shooter, and he's dead

Gmanc711 04-16-2007 12:50 PM

One of my best friends goes there, just talked to her shes ok but how sad

Prayers

Big C 04-16-2007 12:50 PM

[QUOTE=SmootSmack;298106]C'mon Big C. Tell us you're ok[/QUOTE]

im fine thanks man. i actually had a class in a building very close to the shootings at 10 am. hundreds of cops. i was asking if they were evacuating cuz we didnt know what was going on, and they said no (student said this) so i went to go in, and i was ordered to go back to the sidewalk. me and a bunch of others had to go into torgersen hall which is an academic building right across the street for over 2 hrs. 20 ambulances at least, id say about 300 cops at least. it was madness, im thankful to be alive. i had a class in the building where most died tomorrow.

Beemnseven 04-16-2007 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Sheriff Gonna Getcha;298113]Agreed. But some will likely twist this incident into a basis for loosening gun laws (i.e., "If all the students were packing, then we'd be fine").[/QUOTE]

Well, that's sorta the point I was making.

Anytime something like this happens you always hear the question being asked -- what if just one person had access to a firearm to defend him or herself?

I think it's a legitimate question.

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-16-2007 12:52 PM

Thanks for checking in Big C.

ArtMonkDrillz 04-16-2007 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=Hog1;298114]Last report, one shooter, and he's dead[/QUOTE]The shootings were two hour apart from one another, right? So did the guy fire off some shots and then flee only to start shooting again in a different place a few hours later?
I know no one really knows yet, but maybe I was jsut misunderstanding something I heard.

JWsleep 04-16-2007 12:54 PM

Glad you're ok, C!

Prayers to all who were killed or injured. This is just staggering.

Hog1 04-16-2007 01:04 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;298119]The shootings were two hour apart from one another, right? So did the guy fire off some shots and then flee only to start shooting again in a different place a few hours later?
I know no one really knows yet, but maybe I was jsut misunderstanding something I heard.[/quote]

Accurate reports are limited, but yes, it appears that the shooter targeted two seperate buildings where most of this went down. It took him some time to get from one to another. That made the cops think it could be more than one. They went on the premise of more than one guy until they found out differently

Big C 04-16-2007 01:07 PM

i am so f*cking outraged right now i cant even believe it. none of us in the building thought it was going to get this escalated. i am just so f*cking mad. the university could have ended this all except for the first killing.

i got an email at 9:22 am saying there was a shooter who killed someone in the dorm in the morning. they should have cancelled classes then, instead they let kids go to class, and now over 20 are dead. they refuse to cancel classes until its too late.

saden1 04-16-2007 01:08 PM

Man, this sucks. All these mass shootings in schools is very troubling. Someone should be held accountable for this sort of thing. The shooter being dead doesn't cut it.

TheMalcolmConnection 04-16-2007 01:11 PM

I agree. Here's my thing: do these people think they are going out in a blaze of glory? Do they want to be remembered as evil pieces of shit or just flat out remembered?

Hog1 04-16-2007 01:11 PM

I think the question is, how is our society turning out these people with a certain regularity?
How many are waiting in the wings?
What must be changed to stop these type things?

RobH4413 04-16-2007 01:12 PM

Keeping VT in all my thoughts and prayers. This is horrible.

I can't get in touch with my buddy from VT, he's an engineering major... someone called me and said that on of the shootings was poss. in an engineering building. Can anyone confirm this?

Sheriff Gonna Getcha 04-16-2007 01:13 PM

I hate it when the shooters kill themselves or are killed by police. I'd like to see these kinds of losers be forced to have boob jobs and thrown into jail to become prison "entertainment."

hesscl34 04-16-2007 01:14 PM

This is unreal to me!! 22 people???? How in the heck can someone get away with that without being taken down!!!

Big C 04-16-2007 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=RobH4413;298128]Keeping VT in all my thoughts and prayers. This is horrible.

I can't get in touch with my buddy from VT, he's an engineering major... someone called me and said that on of the shootings was poss. in an engineering building. Can anyone confirm this?[/QUOTE]

yes. norris hall is where most of the killings were, and it is an engeneering building for the most part, though there are many other ones. the phone lines are all hung up right now here

Big C 04-16-2007 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=hesscl34;298130]This is unreal to me!! 22 people???? How in the heck can someone get away with that without being taken down!!![/QUOTE]

he went into a small classroom and killed the people in it is what i hear.

ArtMonkDrillz 04-16-2007 01:22 PM

Do they know anything about the shooter yet?
I mean, do they know if he was a student or just some local that lost it?

Big C 04-16-2007 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=ArtMonkDrillz;298135]Do they know anything about the shooter yet?
I mean, do they know if he was a student or just some local that lost it?[/QUOTE]

asian guy in his 20s. didnt say anything to anyone just shot at them.

hesscl34 04-16-2007 01:31 PM

[quote=Big C;298137]asian guy in his 20s. didnt say anything to anyone just shot at them.[/quote]

I can't believe it, truly.

Schneed10 04-16-2007 01:32 PM

Wow. Big C, glad you're alright, man.

As for gun laws, this is a sticky one. You could loosen gun laws so that chances would increase that the public would have the wherewithal to stop a douchebag like this. But the tradeoff is an increase in accidental deaths due to more guns in the hands of the public.

You could tighten gun laws and make it impossible for a douchebag like this to obtain a gun in the first place. But we all know that if he really wanted a gun to do this, he'd buy it on the black market.

I don't think there's a policy answer for something like this. It just sucks, not really sure what you can do, unless you want to post an armed guard outside of every high school and college classroom in the country (which would cost way too much money).

I do agree with you though Big C, they should have cancelled classes for crying out loud. I've got no idea what administration was thinking, maybe they needed more time to process what happened; who knows. My first reaction would have been to cancel class though.

724Skinsfan 04-16-2007 01:34 PM

[quote=ArtMonkDrillz;298135]Do they know anything about the shooter yet?
I mean, do they know if he was a student or just some local that lost it?[/quote]

Not sure if he was a student at Tech or Radford. The first building Amber-Johnston is closed until like 10:00 am, so he would have needed to wait for someone to leave and grab the door to gain access.

The two buildings are not very close to one another so he either had intention to kill someone specific in Norris or just wanted to hide out far away from the original crime scene and just lost it. That last doesn't hold much water since in order to have 40+ casualties he would have had to have extra ammo, which wouldn't be necassary if he only meant to kill one person (the girlfriend).

hesscl34 04-16-2007 01:37 PM

The mental health of this person is the big issue, and the US is terrible about getting people help. The laws SUCK and they let people walk every day that should be in a hospita getting the help they need. A sick person cannot know when he's ok to go home!!

artmonkforhallofamein07 04-16-2007 01:38 PM

Wow, I can't believe this. I'm glad you're ok C, and I pray for all your other classmates. Thoughts and Prayers are with all there at Tech.