Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   34th Overall Pick (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=55913)

donofriose 01-11-2014 05:23 PM

Re: 34th Overall Pick

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1054891]That is not really out of the box at all, I am fine with Thomas starting at SS next year, but what about FS? And CB? We need both of those positions. And whose to say this "quality" DB/S will be any good and where are you gonna draft him at? This draft isn't as deep with secondary talent as last year.[/quote]

They don't need to fix all those problems immediately. I do not see this team becoming a super bowl contender overnight, no matter what they do this offseason. Seahawks drafted Thurmound (4th round), Chancellor (5th round), then the next year drafted Sherman (5th round) and Maxwell (5th round). And now the Seahawks are favorites to make the Super Bowl. It can be done with proper scouting and development. But most of all patience.

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-11-2014 05:46 PM

[quote=donofriose;1054893][B]They don't need to fix all those problems immediately. I do not see this team becoming a super bowl contender overnight, no matter what they do this offseason. Seahawks drafted Thurmound (4th round), Chancellor (5th round), then the next year drafted Sherman (5th round) and Maxwell (5th round).[/B] And now the Seahawks are favorites to make the Super Bowl. It can be done with proper scouting and development. But most of all patience.[/quote]

How often does that happen? What I am saying is that a blend of FA and the draft is a good thing. No one is saying go pay Jairus Byrd 13 million a year, but if we can get him and not blow too much to do so, why not?

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-11-2014 05:53 PM

We drafted Crawford, who I felt would work his way into the starting lineup this year before he got hurt, with him and Thomas coming back I think it gives our secondary a boost, but we still need a FS, we don't have one on the roster. Whether it be Byrd or Ward or whomever, we will have to add one this off-season. You can't expect to strike god with every draft pick. Seattle spent this last off season signing a good bit of DL and it has helped them.

donofriose 01-11-2014 05:54 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1054898]How often does that happen? What I am saying is that a blend of FA and the draft is a good thing. No one is saying go pay Jairus Byrd 13 million a year, but if we can get him and not blow too much to do so, why not?[/quote]

It seems to happen to a lot of good teams. If Byrd wants to come at a reasonable price, I have no problem with it.

The problem is he stated last summer he wants to be the highest paid NFL safety. That would be around 10 million. He isn't worth that much.

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-11-2014 05:59 PM

[quote=donofriose;1054900]It seems to happen to a lot of good teams. If Byrd wants to come at a reasonable price, I have no problem with it.

The problem is he stated last summer he wants to be the highest paid NFL safety. That would be around 10 million. He isn't worth that much.[/quote]

How is he not? He is the 2nd best FS in the league. Every good team still makes key FA signings that help them out.

SirLK26 01-11-2014 06:01 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1054899]We drafted Crawford, who I felt would work his way into the starting lineup this year before he got hurt, with him and Thomas coming back I think it gives our secondary a boost, but we still need a FS, we don't have one on the roster. [B]Whether it be Byrd or Ward or whomever, we will have to add one this off-season.[/B] You can't expect to strike god with every draft pick. Seattle spent this last off season signing a good bit of DL and it has helped them.[/quote]

I agree with this. The thing about FAs is: you know they can play professionally. Drafting is such a gamble because you don't know how their skills will translate to the NFL, but adding Ward or Byrd would immediately improve our secondary. If we spend a pick on a safety, we don't know how he'll turn out, and we might have blown a pick we could have used for OL, when we could have clearly upgraded our safety corps by turning to FA.

But if those two are asking for much more than 10 million, we need to find a cheaper option. We shouldn't spend a lot of money upgrading just because we can.

donofriose 01-11-2014 06:17 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1054903]How is he not? He is the 2nd best FS in the league. Every good team still makes key FA signings that help them out.[/quote]

Yea but they sign players to low risk deals. I agree you need to sign players. But what great teams do is get value out of free agency. You rarely ever see those teams go for a 5 year 60 million dollar contract, which is what Byrd might get. Cliff Avril got a 2 year deal, 13 million dollar contract. That is a team friendly deal especially with the way his contract was structured. Those are the contracts the Skins need to go for. Team friendly deals, that if they do not turn out well, they can cut ties pretty easily.

Unless the player is a QB, no one player has enough game changing players to warrant 10 million plus dollars. The only time you spend that is if it is your guy, he is essential to your locker room, and you know he was successful in your system. Byrd is successful in the Bills system, with their coaches, with his teammates. You can't just plug him in. It is not like basketball where you can plug in a certain player and automatically get better.

Lotus 01-11-2014 06:19 PM

Ward might be a better choice than Byrd, as he can ball and his price tag should be smaller.

EARTHQUAKE2689 01-11-2014 09:38 PM

[quote=Lotus;1054909]Ward might be a better choice than Byrd, as he can ball and his price tag should be smaller.[/quote]

I am fine with either one.

REDSKINS4ever 01-16-2014 12:12 PM

[quote=SFREDSKIN;1052435]ILB Shayne Skov, can't miss pick, just as good as Kiko Alonso or even better.[/quote]

I agree. I've seen highlights of this kid.....I don't think the defensive coaches can count on Keenan Robinson remaining healthy. If Robinson wasn't injured this year he would have gotten substituted reps for Fletcher.....Skov would be a great pick at 34th overall for us.

Ruhskins 01-16-2014 12:27 PM

[quote=donofriose;1054893]They don't need to fix all those problems immediately. I do not see this team becoming a super bowl contender overnight, no matter what they do this offseason. Seahawks drafted Thurmound (4th round), Chancellor (5th round), then the next year drafted Sherman (5th round) and Maxwell (5th round). And now the Seahawks are favorites to make the Super Bowl. It can be done with proper scouting and development. But most of all patience.[/quote]

Our team was one non-knee injury from making a good run into the playoffs last year (2012 season). You make it sound like our team is full of aging veterans and that we are starting from scratch.

While I don't expect a SB run next season, I think with the development of the young guys we've drafted and the young vets we have in place, a few key free agent acquisition and draft picks this offseason, can make us a playoff team sooner rather than later.

I don't want to see us break the bank on one player, but you can't expect to get every free agent signing cheap. Some people thought we overpaid for Gracon, but in the end he has been worth it.

DynamiteRave 01-16-2014 12:39 PM

You can't expect low draft picks to come in and immediately make an impact. We struck gold with Alfmo, but how often does it happen you get a 6th or 7th round pick to come in and immediately be a starter? After a few years? Definitely a possibility, but you can't expect to sign everyone to itty bitty contracts and then hope your late round picks come through.

REDSKINS4ever 01-17-2014 05:10 AM

[quote=DynamiteRave;1055829]You can't expect low draft picks to come in and immediately make an impact. We struck gold with Alfmo, but how often does it happen you get a 6th or 7th round pick to come in and immediately be a starter? After a few years? Definitely a possibility, but you can't expect to sign everyone to itty bitty contracts and then hope your late round picks come through.[/quote]

It happens.....just look at Donald Driver and Shannon Sharpe......

mooby 01-17-2014 05:48 AM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;1055911]It happens.....just look at Donald Driver and Shannon Sharpe......[/quote]

It does, but players like those are the exception, not the rule.

DynamiteRave 01-17-2014 09:41 AM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;1055911]It happens.....just look at Donald Driver and Shannon Sharpe......[/quote]

It could happen, its just more probable that it won't. I'm also not a huge fan of the "if it worked for so and so then there's no reason we can't be able to do it" mindset.

It's just smarter and less risky to do as even of a 50/50 split between drafted players and FAs. It's not a bad thing to lean more towards drafted players, but I don't know how some people think you can build a strong team almost 100% through drafted players. And lets face it, the Redskins don't exactly pick the best project players in the later rounds.

All the, draft draft draft people realize that from the 2009 and 2010 drafts, we only have 3 people still on this team from those drafts, Orakpo and Trent Williams and Perry Riley. Out of 12 picks... 3 people. Only in the last 3 drafts have we started holding onto our draft picks, even the ones that probably need to be cut (I'm looking at you, Niles Paul and Evan Royster).

What I'm getting at is if you want to draft, draft, draft, there's going to be a lot of players that don't stick and a few that do and if you're willing to wait 3-5 years then maybe you can blare "started from the bottom now we're here", otherwise I think you do have to supplement in free agency as well. Nobody said you need to sign an Eric Decker type to a 4 year 50 million dollar deal. But if you can find a splashy sign for a steal, definitely do it.