Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=64151)

SkinsGuru 08-21-2018 04:32 PM

Re: Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson

[quote=skinsfan69;1198359]I couldn't even finish readying that bullshit article. AP hit a 4 year old in the fucking nuts with a tree limb. Just stop and think about that.

I realize that a lot of NFL players are not going to be Kirk Cousins or Darrell Green types. And I can tolerate a lot of shit, drinking, drugs, gambling and so on. It's all part of life and growing up. Young guys w/ money are going to screw up all the time. But when you do what he did, or what Ray Rice did, that's where you have to draw the line and say.. " this guy just can't play here."[/quote]

couldn't agree more!!

Ruhskins 08-21-2018 04:37 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1198359]I couldn't even finish readying that bullshit article. AP hit a 4 year old in the fucking nuts with a tree limb. Just stop and think about that.

I realize that a lot of NFL players are not going to be Kirk Cousins or Darrell Green types. And I can tolerate a lot of shit, drinking, drugs, gambling and so on. It's all part of life and growing up. Young guys w/ money are going to screw up all the time. But when you do what he did, or what Ray Rice did, that's where you have to draw the line and say.. " this guy just can't play here."[/quote]

And that's your opinion, which you are entitled to.

My issue with your comments is that you make it sound like we gave up a first rounder for AP and/or gave him a ton of guaranteed money; and that this was such a TERRIBLE football move. It is not a terrible football move, nor it is the best football move, it is JUST a football move. That's it.

From my personal experience, growing up in a culture where child punishment was similar or worst to APs situation (and experiencing it myself), I feel that what he did was terrible and inexcusable. Yet, I also realize that it somewhat undid his career and his status of an elite player to just a guy off the street type of player.

But like I said, you are entitled to your personal opinion to what he did and how you feel about him playing in the team given that.

Buffalo Bob 08-21-2018 04:48 PM

I realize that a lot of NFL players are not going to be Kirk Cousins or Darrell Green types. And I can tolerate a lot of shit, drinking, drugs, gambling and so on. It's all part of life and growing up. Young guys w/ money are going to screw up all the time. [B]But when you do what he did, or what Ray Rice did, that's where you have to draw the line and say.. " this guy just can't play here.[/B]"[/quote]

Agreed, physically abusing a women or child are two things that are unforgivable as far as I am concerned.

GridIron26 08-21-2018 04:50 PM

[quote=punch it in;1198358]What I gather is outside the time he beat a 4 year old with a stick on the arms legs back and nuts and than said he didn’t mean it is that he is a pretty good dude. Uh...yeah no.
I mean as far as full context before judging someone there is literally nothing that you could put in front of the words ...”and that is why i beat the 4 year old over his entire body with a stick” that would make it ok. Hold a gun to my head and order me to do such things and my reply would be “pull the trigger”.[/quote]

First of all, I do not condone AP's action at all. Second, what the article explained - it is about how AP was taught, the community around him gave children same or similar punishments. The most important thing (which I think lot of people were quick to disregard) is that AP showed remorse and changed his behavior after realizing that that kind of punishment is no longer acceptable today in this era. How some people react to AP, even after he admitted that it was a mistake - it is essentially like being angry at one person for learning what their parents taught that person. I can understand your respond if AP was like, "fuck you all, I'm going to do whatever I want", heck I would hate him if he said that but that is not the case.

Again, I emphasize I do not support any kind of abusive behavior/action regardless of reasons behind it.

punch it in 08-21-2018 05:18 PM

Redskins Signing Adrian Peterson

[QUOTE=GridIron26;1198363]First of all, I do not condone AP's action at all. Second, what the article explained - it is about how AP was taught, the community around him gave children same or similar punishments. The most important thing (which I think lot of people were quick to disregard) is that AP showed remorse and changed his behavior after realizing that that kind of punishment is no longer acceptable today in this era. How some people react to AP, even after he admitted that it was a mistake - it is essentially like being angry at one person for learning what their parents taught that person. I can understand your respond if AP was like, "fuck you all, I'm going to do whatever I want", heck I would hate him if he said that but that is not the case.

Again, I emphasize I do not support any kind of abusive behavior/action regardless of reasons behind it.[/QUOTE]

1)All criminals show remorse after the fact.
2) if you didn’t already realize lacerating the scrotum of a 4 year old boy with a tree branch was unacceptable than u belong in a mental ward. It is the year 2018 for crying outloud.
3) i do not think u condone his actions obviously, but i think u r buying his bullshit apology/playing dumb bullshit
4) i do not know why im numbering my thoughts

punch it in 08-21-2018 05:23 PM

[QUOTE=skinsfan69;1198359]I couldn't even finish readying that bullshit article. AP hit a 4 year old in the fucking nuts with a tree limb. Just stop and think about that.

I realize that a lot of NFL players are not going to be Kirk Cousins or Darrell Green types. And I can tolerate a lot of shit, drinking, drugs, gambling and so on. It's all part of life and growing up. Young guys w/ money are going to screw up all the time. But when you do what he did, or what Ray Rice did, that's where you have to draw the line and say.. " this guy just can't play here."[/QUOTE]

Im leaning more and more towards your train of thought man. I personally did not want him signed because he is either a piece of shit or a dumbass for thinking it was ok. I mean did he live under a rock? As far as a football move i say again it makes perfect sense though, but yeah it is going to be really hard to root for him. I give second chances or third chances to most anyone except you have to draw a line somewhere. Beating a four year old child with a stick crosses it by a country mile. And the more i think about his excuse of not knowing it was wrong the more it irks me.

MTK 08-21-2018 06:02 PM

Hitting a child is definitely disgusting and beyond comprehension to me.

But it also makes me think about what fucked up situation AP must have gone in his life to become the type of person that could hurt his own child. Abuse is a pretty fucked up circle of violence and unfortunately it's not easy to break out of it.

I hope that he is truly remorseful and has learned from his actions. We don't know the guy so who's to say he's not?

Either way I'm not going to lose sleep over him playing football for the Redskins. The law and the league has already dealt with him.

Ruhskins 08-21-2018 06:07 PM

Were people up in arms this much when we signed Stallworth? Just curious, because I honestly can't remember. And I think that was the last time the team signed someone with a troubled past/issue.

Technically Gallette was, but I don't think nothing came about of that alleged video of him in a fight.

I feel that for the most part, the team has stayed away from these type of players/situations (unlike Dallas).

CRedskinsRule 08-21-2018 06:43 PM

[quote=MTK;1198366]Hitting a child is definitely disgusting and beyond comprehension to me.

But it also makes me think about what fucked up situation AP must have gone in his life to become the type of person that could hurt his own child. [B]Abuse is a pretty fucked up circle of violence and unfortunately it's not easy to break out of it.[/B]

I hope that he is truly remorseful and has learned from his actions. We don't know the guy so who's to say he's not?

Either way I'm not going to lose sleep over him playing football for the Redskins. The law and the league has already dealt with him.[/quote]

He is 33, so he was born in 85, his parents likely were born in the 1940's, as a society, we have come a long way in a generation or two from what was socially acceptable. But individual families are not all so enlightened as the wise members of the warpath.

It's terrible to whip your kids like he did, but I do remember the paddle that hung in our laundry room as a reminder/warning, and I think my older brother may have felt it's sting once or twice.

Buffalo Bob 08-21-2018 07:32 PM

Holy crap, he gave the kid a beating that made welts and drew blood. Anyone who claims that was normal discipline for a kid back in the day did not look at the pictures or has a perception of the past that is 100% wrong. I grew up in the 60's, the rule of thumb was if it left a mark that was there the next day or drew blood it was child abuse. My dad was a cop and a child abuser, he made sure he inflicted his pain without leaving lingering marks or drawing blood.

CRedskinsRule 08-21-2018 07:40 PM

[quote=Buffalo Bob;1198370]Holy crap, he gave the kid a beating that made welts and drew blood. Anyone who claims that was normal discipline for a kid back in the day did not look at the pictures or has a perception of the past that is 100% wrong. I grew up in the 60's, the rule of thumb was if it left a mark that was there the next day or drew blood it was child abuse. My dad was a cop and a child abuser, he made sure he inflicted his pain without leaving lingering marks or drawing blood.[/quote]

I didn't mean to imply it was normal, but it wasn't as abnormal as it is in today's society. And it's a good thing that he was punished and made an example of.
Bottom line, he's a Redskin for this year, probably no more. If he can help the team, and not raise new off field issues, than I will root for the team with him.

I think the comparison most likely to change my point of view is MVick, because I could never root for that guy after all the abuse of the dogs, so maybe I am hypocritical because I won't put the same level of disgust on AP's time as a Redskin. I think the fact that he is legitimately a last option type candidate helps, and the fact that they could cut him tomorrow if he acts out in any way.

I dunno, tough case, and like Ruhskins said, I don't think anyone faults those whose opinion is that this stinks to high heaven.

skinsfan69 08-21-2018 09:32 PM

[quote=Ruhskins;1198367][B]Were people up in arms this much when we signed Stallworth? [/B]Just curious, because I honestly can't remember. And I think that was the last time the team signed someone with a troubled past/issue.

Technically Gallette was, but I don't think nothing came about of that alleged video of him in a fight.

I feel that for the most part, the team has stayed away from these type of players/situations (unlike Dallas).[/quote]

Two totally different situations. In Stallworth's case, he hit someone who was walking outside of a crosswalk at night and very well could have been found innocent if he had gone to trial.

Schneed10 08-21-2018 10:16 PM

I really don’t understand the morality police thing. You’re a fan of the team, worry about whether he can still play. Your opinions on whether his debts to society are satisfactorily paid are irrelevant.

Don’t kid yourselves, you’re going to continue rooting for the Skins no matter who they sign. So STFU and worry about football.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-21-2018 10:16 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1198369]He is 33, so he was born in 85, his parents likely were born in the 1940's, as a society, we have come a long way in a generation or two from what was socially acceptable. But individual families are not all so enlightened as the wise members of the warpath.

It's terrible to whip your kids like he did, but I do remember the paddle that hung in our laundry room as a reminder/warning, and I think my older brother may have felt it's sting once or twice.[/quote]

My parents were born in the 50s and you name it I have been hit with it: Shoes, open hand, closed fists, a cook spoon out of hot soup, a phone, my beatings even consisted of a 2x4 for a while. Hell I got called a bitch by my father at 6 and told I was the only problem in his life, had my nose broken because I missed the bus in 5th grade, and these arent even the worst things of the "discipline" I am just saying that this has nothing to do with him playing and people act like it happened this morning. Has he been accused or found guilty since this incident before??

Bishop Hammer 08-21-2018 10:38 PM

[quote=MTK;1198355]He’s wearing #26 in case anyone was worried about that[/quote]

I was hoping he wouldn't wear that number. I have a Clinton Portis jersey I still wear and I don't won't people to think I'm showing support to AD.

Keeping the focus strictly on football and what he may or may not be able to do, Adrian Peterson avg 3.1 yds behind the worst O-line, in Ari. The Redskins had the 12th best line last year. *Already he's in a better place to excel.

Not to mention The Cardinals and The Saints employ ZBS and AP works better in PRS, which Jay likes to run. *Couple that with basically having a year off, due to his neck injury giving his legs a chance to rest he has a 50 50 chance off working out here. *We'll have to wait and see?

sdskinsfan2001 08-21-2018 11:03 PM

Did he already pay his debt legally and to the NFL? Yes.

Has he been accused of anything remotely close to this since then? No.

Ok, lets play some fucking football.

FrenchSkin 08-22-2018 03:39 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1198382]I really don’t understand the morality police thing. You’re a fan of the team, worry about whether he can still play. [B]Your opinions on whether his debts to society are satisfactorily paid are irrelevant[/B].

Don’t kid yourselves, you’re going to continue rooting for the Skins no matter who they sign. So STFU and worry about football.[/quote]

This how I feel about it.
This is why modern societies have justice systems, with professionals knowing the laws, studying the case, the defendant defending his case, a jury hearing all that for several days of trial before making a decision.
The internet courtroom would sentence everybody to life in a minute without having access to any element of the case...

skinsfan69 08-22-2018 06:01 AM

[quote=Schneed10;1198382]I really don’t understand the morality police thing. You’re a fan of the team, worry about whether he can still play. Your opinions on whether his debts to society are satisfactorily paid are irrelevant.

Don’t kid yourselves, you’re going to continue rooting for the Skins no matter who they sign. So STFU and worry about football.[/quote]

You don't tell me who I can and can't root for, so you shut the fuck up.

Buffalo Bob 08-22-2018 07:11 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1198392]You don't tell me who I can and can't root for, so you shut the fuck up.[/quote]

Exactly, and this guy beat welts on a 4 year old, I don't need to hear his side of the story. I don't care how he was raised, I was raised by a wife beating child abuser and I have done neither. I have been punched in the face 3 times by women & hit with a frying pan over my lifetime and just turned and walked away.

skinsfaninok 08-22-2018 08:17 AM

AD had his issues dating back to College, Multiple baby momma's , kids child support issues , etc.. He seems mature now, and TBH I could care less what any player does off the field, they don't pay my bills. I'm a fan of the team not 1 or 2 players. Just like Kirk leaving, yeah it sucked for a couple days then its on to Alex.

mooby 08-22-2018 08:41 AM

For me it's another case of separating the player from the person. I didn't like Junior Galette either after that video I saw, but still wanted him to have success.

Not knowing AP personally, whose to say he hasn't changed his ways since those events? We don't know how he was raised either, plenty of people from different walks of life grow up desensitized to certain acts or continue the cycle from being abused as a child to being an abuser as an adult.

All I know is I root for the uniform. In any form of entertainment, you learn to separate the person from the talent. Should I feel guilty for enjoying The Patriot because Mel Gibson is an anti-Semitic POS?

With all that being said, my opinion only speaks for myself. I know from what he did it is unforgiveable for a lot of people, and I have no problem with that. We're all entitled to our own opinion.

CRedskinsRule 08-22-2018 08:50 AM

For those vehemently opposed, how will it affect your rooting for the team? Hypothetically if the skuns were to win the NFC and AP was voted comeback player of the year, would you not join in the celebration?

SkinzzFan 08-22-2018 09:59 AM

Low risk, possibly high reward.

I'm not concerned with what he did in his past (that doesn't mean I'm ok with it). It's simply not my place to say he can no longer work (football is his job right now) or live his life. I'm a fan of the Washington Redskins and I want them to win games! If he can help, I'm all for it. There are plenty of other public figures and people in my own community who have done terrible things. I'm not going to stand in front of their place of work screaming that they shouldn't be allowed to make a living. I don't waste my time and energy on something I am no where near and have no control over. He did what he did and everyone involved has moved on the best way they can. Fans, who have nothing to do with it, should do the same. HAIL!!

skinsfan69 08-22-2018 10:15 AM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;1198398]For those vehemently opposed, how will it affect your rooting for the team? Hypothetically if the skuns were to win the NFC and AP was voted comeback player of the year, would you not join in the celebration?[/quote]

I could care less if he won comeback player of the year. I WOULD NOT celebrate that at all. I'm sure Dan and Bruce already have their marketing plan ready if AP does well. I'd rather roll with the guys we have, Perine, Bibbs, Kelly, CT and a healthy Marshall then root for AP. Year after year in the NFL we see no name RB's have great years. Plus AP fumbles and we already have Perine to do that. But give those guys running lanes (maybe except Kelly) and they'll gain yards. Hell even Kelly had one big game against Green Bay.

mooby 08-22-2018 10:31 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;1198402]I could care less if he won comeback player of the year. I WOULD NOT celebrate that at all.[B] I'm sure Dan and Bruce already have their marketing plan ready if AP does well[/B].
[/quote]

Right, because this was a preplanned move that's been in the works for a while, and not a response dictated by the multiple injuries we have at the position.

[quote]
I'd rather roll with the guys we have, Perine, Bibbs, Kelly, CT and a healthy Marshall then root for AP. Year after year in the NFL we see no name RB's have great years.
[/quote]

Right, because the same squad that couldn't get the job done last year can be expected to do a better job this year. When was the last year we had a no-name RB have a big year for us again?

[quote]
Plus AP fumbles and we already have Perine to do that. But give those guys running lanes (maybe except Kelly) and they'll gain yards. Hell even Kelly had one big game against Green Bay.[/quote]

Right, because fumbles were the reason he was let go from the Saints (two stud RB's) and Cardinals (crappy o-line) last year.

skinsfaninok 08-22-2018 11:20 AM

[quote=mooby;1198403]Right, because this was a preplanned move that's been in the works for a while, and not a response dictated by the multiple injuries we have at the position.

[B]Right, because the same squad that couldn't get the job done last year can be expected to do a better job this year. When was the last year we had a no-name RB have a big year for us again?

[/B]
Right, because fumbles were the reason he was let go from the Saints (two stud RB's) and Cardinals (crappy o-line) last year.[/quote]

All Off season everyone here said "we have to get better at RB"

Drafted Guice, we are all stoked... He goes down, now what?? We had to make a move at RB

sdskinsfan2001 08-22-2018 11:32 AM

Peace love and happiness amongst Skins fans.

[IMG]https://s3.amazonaws.com/www-wowredskins-com/media/cms_page_media/3/club2.jpg[/IMG]

MTK 08-22-2018 11:32 AM

Reports say he had the best workout by far... he signed a minimal deal so I think that speaks to his desire to be here, and we have a pretty significant need so from a football standpoint I don't really understand the hate.

Yes he's 33 but he's always been a freak of an athlete and is in top shape. My expectations for him aren't high, but I wouldn't bet against him pulling off a late career revival type of year running behind a much better OL and overall offense than he had in Arizona.

Chico23231 08-22-2018 11:44 AM

[quote=MTK;1198408]Reports say he had the best workout by far... he signed a minimal deal so I think that speaks to his desire to be here, and we have a pretty significant need so from a football standpoint I don't really understand the hate.

Yes he's 33 but he's always been a freak of an athlete and is in top shape. My expectations for him aren't high, but I wouldn't bet against him pulling off a late career revival type of year running behind a much better OL and overall offense than he had in Arizona.[/quote]

This.

I’m regards to the past crimes...it was terrible but he served punishment.

Buffalo Bob 08-22-2018 12:19 PM

[quote=MTK;1198408]Reports say he had the best workout by far... he signed a minimal deal so I think that speaks to his desire to be here, and we have a pretty significant need so from a football standpoint I don't really understand the hate.

Yes he's 33 but he's always been a freak of an athlete and is in top shape. My expectations for him aren't high, but I wouldn't bet against him pulling off a late career revival type of year running behind a much better OL and overall offense than he had in Arizona.[/quote]

Most running backs not named Riggins do not do well at that age.

MTK 08-22-2018 12:34 PM

[quote=Buffalo Bob;1198412]Most running backs not named Riggins do not do well at that age.[/quote]

I'm well aware, I wouldn't say he's a typical kind of RB though, he came back 8 months after an ACL injury to have an MVP year

Frank Gore is still going strong and he's 2 years older, can he at least play at a Frank Gore type of level? I think so.

Ruhskins 08-22-2018 01:00 PM

Yes he's 33 but he's always been a freak of an athlete and is in top shape. My expectations for him aren't high, but [B]I wouldn't bet against him pulling off a late career revival type of year running behind a much better OL and overall offense than he had in Arizona.[/B][/quote]

People seem to forget that Peterson played most of his games last season with an Arizona team that had the combination of Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert at QB.

skinsfan69 08-22-2018 02:43 PM

[quote=mooby;1198403]Right, because this was a preplanned move that's been in the works for a while, and not a response dictated by the multiple injuries we have at the position.

Right, because the same squad that couldn't get the job done last year can be expected to do a better job this year. When was the last year we had a no-name RB have a big year for us again?

Right, because fumbles were the reason he was let go from the Saints (two stud RB's) and Cardinals (crappy o-line) last year.[/quote]

The comment about Snyder and Bruce was a joke. But as I've said there will be guys cut pretty soon that could help us and I've already given the Collins example. Also when CP got hurt I do remember Ledell Betts having a career year and Duckett was pretty much a non factor.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-22-2018 03:01 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1198417]The comment about Snyder and Bruce was a joke. But as I've said there will be guys cut pretty soon that could help us and I've already given the Collins example. Also when CP got hurt I do remember Ledell Betts having a career year and Duckett was pretty much a non factor.[/quote]

To counter that, we gave up a 2nd round pick for Duckett, only paying 1 million for Peterson, Alex Collins doesnt happen every year, and whose to say we cant add someone else. In my opinion and you can call be a dumbass or whatever, your level of disgust/anger is much too high for the actual situation.

MTK 08-22-2018 03:07 PM

So if Perine or Kelley blows up that’s great, it’s not like we’re heavily invested in AP. Those guys will still have their chance.

skinsfan69 08-22-2018 03:08 PM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;1198418]To counter that, we gave up a 2nd round pick for Duckett, only paying 1 million for Peterson, Alex Collins doesnt happen every year, and whose to say we cant add someone else. In my opinion and you can call be a dumbass or whatever, your level of disgust/anger is much too high for the actual situation.[/quote]

Not at all. If AP was totally clean and had no transgressions I'd feel the same way. If you go back and look to see whenever we've signed old guys I'm never in favor of it.

skinsfan69 08-22-2018 03:11 PM

[quote=MTK;1198419]So if Perine or Kelley blows up that’s great, it’s not like we’re heavily invested in AP. Those guys will still have their chance.[/quote]

Perine hasn't even had much of a chance this pre season. Really want to see if he's gotten any better. I do believe he has some upside. Kelly is just 3 or 4 yards and a cloud of dust.

EARTHQUAKE2689 08-22-2018 03:22 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;1198420]Not at all. If AP was totally clean and had no transgressions I'd feel the same way. If you go back and look to see whenever we've signed old guys I'm never in favor of it.[/quote]

But the way you are talking if no one knew the deal, you make it seem like we gave him 4 years at 45 million with 25 million guaranteed.

It is a vet minimum deal.

MTK 08-22-2018 03:49 PM

With our luck AP will tear it up for a few weeks and get hurt.

skinsnut 08-22-2018 04:28 PM

Someone said they don't get the hate. I read the thread. There are a lot of folks on here that experienced similar or worse abuse. It is totally understandable that abuse victims would be hateful of an abuser of the defenseless. Have some empathy towards your fellow fans. I find it hard to support him too, but I wish him and his children the best. I especially wish the best to my fellow fans who saw or experienced excessive physical or emotional abuse at the hands of someone much more powerful. I think he will be fine both on and off the field. People do change.