Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Other Sports (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   World Cup Fever? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=12315)

Daseal 04-30-2006 12:58 AM

World Cup Fever?

Im really starting to get pumped up for the World Cup. I'm not really a huge soccer guy, I played it from the time I was five through high school, but I never really followed any clubs, watched on a regular basis, know names, etc.

While if it's on I'll watch a little here and there, I'm not a huge soccer fan. World Cup always gets me excited though. While Im a rabid Redskins and football fan, very little beats the feeling you get watching a shootout in a World Cup game. With the US becoming stronger and stronger in the soccer department I think that we'll soon be regularly competing for the cup instead of annual whipping boy.

CooleyAsCanBe 04-30-2006 01:16 AM

Re: World Cup Fever?

I'm pretty excited myself. I'd say I'm definitely a big soccer fan though. I'll be studying for the bar all summer, but I plan to take breaks to watch all the U.S. games and the other important/interesting ones. The World Cup is an amazing event.

I was in other countries in latin America for the last two (Argentina and Mexico), so I am interested to see how excited people get here. (granted, I'll be in C-ville, so probably won't see many raving crowds)

CooleyAsCanBe 04-30-2006 01:22 AM

Daseal, if you want to catch a great game, make sure to watch the UEFA Cup Final on May 17th, 2:45 pm EST. It will be on ESPN2. Both teams have been pretty dominant up to the final. Barcelona has more scoring power and is the better all around team, but Arsenal is tough and have yet to concede a goal in the whole tournament.

hooskins 04-30-2006 01:38 AM

[quote=CooleyAsCanBe]I'm pretty excited myself. I'd say I'm definitely a big soccer fan though. I'll be studying for the bar all summer, but I plan to take breaks to watch all the U.S. games and the other important/interesting ones. The World Cup is an amazing event.

I was in other countries in latin America for the last two (Argentina and Mexico), so I am interested to see how excited people get here. (granted, I'll be in C-ville, so probably won't see many raving crowds)[/quote]

It is really sad people here do not like soccer as much as other sports, bc it truely is the world's most popular sport, and it is very hard, if not the hardest. I love soccer, and I think its great, and I am very happy the US team is making a name for itself.

By the way, are you at UVa Law? Bc if you are, I am right down the street at UVa undergrad.

dmek25 04-30-2006 08:36 AM

i dont think any of us real americans even know what soccer is(j/k dont everyone get in an uproar)

CooleyAsCanBe 04-30-2006 09:22 AM

[QUOTE=hooskins]It is really sad people here do not like soccer as much as other sports, bc it truely is the world's most popular sport, and it is very hard, if not the hardest. I love soccer, and I think its great, and I am very happy the US team is making a name for itself.

By the way, are you at UVa Law? Bc if you are, I am right down the street at UVa undergrad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm at the law school. I noticed your name and never got around to asking what you were studying.

JWsleep 04-30-2006 12:37 PM

I'm pumped, but we are in a tough group.

Team is announced Tuesday.

NY_Skinsfan 04-30-2006 01:36 PM

I'm getting excited about the world cup too. I am really nervous as to how the team will do this year given the group they are in. After the great showing in 2002, to have our team do poorly will tremendously hurt the growth that american soccer has shown in the last four years.

Has anyone noticed that Drew Carry (sp?) is the new national team superfan. He went to a game and fell in love with the sport and has been following the national team all over the world. It's good to have a guy like him catch on to the sport. Also, according to FIFA we have moved into the fourth spot in the world standings (however unimportant those rankings are, or inflated). At least somebody is recognizing that US soccer is on the rise.

jbcjr14 04-30-2006 09:06 PM

I am not very excited, but I will watch and support the the USA.

mcalderone10 05-01-2006 01:23 AM

[quote=hooskins]It is really sad people here do not like soccer as much as other sports, bc it truely is the world's most popular sport, and it is very hard, if not the hardest. I love soccer, and I think its great, and I am very happy the US team is making a name for itself.
[/quote]

the problem with the US not being into soccer is the media. ESPN broadcasts very little soccer due to the lack of commercial time. One of the biggest tournaments besides the World cup is going on right now the UEFA champions league tournament and very few games are being shown. They are being televised on espn deportes which i'm guessing is in spanish. DC united is undefeated, the best MLS team over the years winning 4 of 5 mls championships that they've been to in 10-12 years that MLS has been around. The last MLS cup game DC united was in was aired the same time as the skins game and i was forced to PIP cuz i couldn't miss either game. United has been forced to share fields with the nats which is a disgrace to such a franchise. As a soccer player for 15 of my 20 years alive soccer and baseball field combo doesn't work. i'm glad to c that US is getting better on an international level where more and more players are getting to europe to make the big bucks and we will be a real contender in like 2 or 3 more WCs. we won't be getting anywhere if the media doesn't support interest by showing more highlights on SC.

watch the scrolling scores on SC next time for soccer scores they won't show any stats of any MLS games, but in baseball frickin every stat possible.

F baseball

BDBohnzie 05-01-2006 11:42 AM

I can't wait for the World Cup. Some of the world's best athletes out there representing their country in a sport which is quite physically demanding.

Being that I follow France, I'll be flamed and hated by all, but I can deal. They are definitely on the downslide following their win in '98, however still have one of the best forwards in the World in Thierry Henry. And I am a big Fabien Barthez fan, as goalkeeper is the most thankless job of the Starting XI.

The US definitely will have a strong team, and with the MLS getting better and better, it's only a matter of time before it expands dollar-wise. Especially if David Beckham comes to the MLS to play.

JWsleep 05-01-2006 01:47 PM

France??? Why France? Man...:doh:

Hope they do better than last time! ;)

BDBohnzie 05-01-2006 04:03 PM

The biggest reason is that my mom's side of the family is French. She was first generation born outside of France. Plus, my first "jersey" (granted I was 3 and didn't know better) was a French national team shirt. That and I like to stir the pot.

JWsleep 05-01-2006 05:35 PM

lol. Well I hope USA is at least your second favorite. I had a France jersey when I was a kid (among others), but I learned better!

Either way, I am getting totally psyched for the Cup. Plus, it's in Europe (as opposed to Japan/Korea, which sucked), so you get up in the morning, and there are games. Then they usually get rebroadcast at night by Univision or ESPN. Footie all the time.

mcalderone10 05-01-2006 08:20 PM

[quote=JWsleep]lol. Well I hope USA is at least your second favorite. I had a France jersey when I was a kid (among others), but I learned better!

Either way, I am getting totally psyched for the Cup. Plus, it's in Europe (as opposed to Japan/Korea, which sucked), so you get up in the morning, and there are games. Then they usually get rebroadcast at night by Univision or ESPN. Footie all the time.[/quote]

it will still be a 6-7 hour time difference. but truely not as bad as K/J. First, jersey, Swedish national team. 2nd fav to US.