Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Attack this poll!!! (7/24/06) (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=13151)

BrudLee 07-24-2006 02:18 PM

Attack this poll!!! (7/24/06)

[url=http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2309]ESPN.com: SPORTSNATION - SportsNation Polling - 2309[/url]

NFC East results and storylines discussed here.

DaveyFoSho 07-24-2006 02:22 PM

Re: Attack this poll!!! (7/24/06)

Wow....im surprised they gave it up for our Defense...but i honestly dont see why people are all over the Cowboys Offense...its quite annoying really!!

ArtMonkDrillz 07-24-2006 02:24 PM

I can't believe that many people actually think that fat ass parcells is better than Saint Gibbs.

DaveyFoSho 07-24-2006 02:28 PM

Also i really do not think that Parcells is better than Gibbs in any way! I can understand certain polls are biased...more people voting in certain areas...but still 15% higher is just absolutely crazy! The man has 3 Rings...completely turned around a struggling Redskins team against all odds...and put together amazing additions this year that has most opponents circling the date we bring down their house, or they become unwanted guests in ours! I really just do not see this unfounded fascination in the Cowboys. Sure T.O is a good receiver..but with all the ???? surrounding that team, including T.O's behavior....how can everyone be so quick to hand Dallas the NFC east before the season has even begun???

PSUSkinsFan21 07-24-2006 03:28 PM

I just can't put any stock into a poll that has Parcells as a better coach than Gibbs. Proof positive that there are a lot of really stupid football fans out there.
And the Cowboys have the best offense? Give me a break. I'd put the Giants offense (and obviously ours as well) ahead of the Cowgirls.

BDBohnzie 07-24-2006 03:37 PM

Got my votes in. Damn shame there are that many idiots in this world who think Parcells is better than Gibbs.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-24-2006 03:58 PM

FAIRLY objective, but still a little too much Cowboy slurping. I would say MAYBE Giants as top offense, but I guess TO instantly makes you the top. :doh:

steveo395 07-24-2006 04:11 PM

you can't have the best offense if you have the worst offensive line...these people are retarded

and how could they put parcells ahead of gibbs...gibbs has more rings and he did better than him last year

Carnage 07-24-2006 04:16 PM

That offense question is tough, Cowboys, skins eagles and giants are basically unproven. It's all about potential.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-24-2006 04:17 PM

I have to say that most of the categories are right. I tried to not be a homer and went purely with proven offenses and gave the Giants their props, but seriously, people need to get their lips off TO's johnson.

BigSKINBauer 07-24-2006 06:21 PM

5) Who is the best coach in the NFC East?

45.2% Bill Parcells, Cowboys

30.4% Joe Gibbs, Redskins

18.1% Andy Reid, Eagles

6.3% Tom Coughlin, Giants

I don't care about anything else. Fuck that shit. Damn media makes people think fatass over there is actually a good coach. HOW?!? that is not possible. Mayhbe if he had belichick next to him he could do it but this coach can't get his team to the playoffs or win 10 games. He can get out coached 35-7. 35-7. That is coaching. That is a sign that he can't coach in comparison to who beat him.

wolfeskins 07-24-2006 07:07 PM

i can understand people putting the cowboys offense ahead of the skins, because of T.O, though i disagree. but there is no way bill parcells is a better coach than the HOF'er, mighty, joe gibbs.

Daseal 07-24-2006 10:26 PM

While I voted for Joe Gibbs, I have trouble trashing any of the coaches in our division. They are all very good and talented coaches that deserve respect.

As far as people thinking 2-3 teams from the NFC East will go to the playoffs, I simply don't see it. The division winner will go. The two wild card teams will be relatively weak teams (Rams/Cardinals) then another team prolly from either the NFC North or MAYBE NFC East/South will get a 2nd spot. Both the NFC East and NFC South play hard schedules and will split a lot of games making their records seem worse than their talent (though I think the South is overrated)

SmootSmack 07-24-2006 10:46 PM

Prior to the start of last season, some writer-can't remember who-said that he thought Andy Reid was overrated as a coach. That he had spent the past few years owning the NFC East by feeding off the likes of Spurrier, Campo, Fassel, and a Gibbs who had been out of the league for 12 years.

But with Parcells firmly entrenched in Dallas, Gibbs with a year under his belt, and even Tom Coughlin Reid would be exposed as not up to their level. Not yet at least.

I thought that was interesting.

BrudLee 07-25-2006 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=TAFKAS]Prior to the start of last season, some writer-can't remember who-said that he thought Andy Reid was overrated as a coach. That he had spent the past few years owning the NFC East by feeding off the likes of Spurrier, Campo, Fassel, and a Gibbs who had been out of the league for 12 years.

But with Parcells firmly entrenched in Dallas, Gibbs with a year under his belt, and even Tom Coughlin Reid would be exposed as not up to their level. Not yet at least.

I thought that was interesting.[/QUOTE]
I think that was me. Friggin' Genius.

BDBohnzie 07-25-2006 09:23 AM

Who is the best coach in the NFC East?

45.1% Bill Parcells, Cowboys
30.8% Joe Gibbs, Redskins

going in the right direction, but nowhere near where it should be.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=BDBohnzie]Who is the best coach in the NFC East?

45.1% Bill Parcells, Cowboys
30.8% Joe Gibbs, Redskins

going in the right direction, but nowhere near where it should be.[/QUOTE]

I think that Gibbs doesn't get the accolade that Parcells does is because of the amount of Parcells assistants - or West Point Guys - that havegone on to become Head coaches. Belichek, Weiss, Crennel, Groh, Tom Coglahn (sp) , Co-ordinator Carthon.

Parcells is the equivalent of Walsh in terms of acolytes.

MTK 07-25-2006 11:25 AM

I really believe that Parcells is a media darling mainly because of his press conferences. He's always good for an interesting quote and the media eats it up.

Gibbs is much more straight laced and doesn't offer up much of anything in his pressers.

If you compare their coaching resumes, I don't see how anyone can objectively say that Parcells is the better coach. I think it's very even.

They are both cream of the crop, but I would give the slight edge to Gibbs.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I really believe that Parcells is a media darling mainly because of his press conferences. He's always good for an interesting quote and the media eats it up.

Gibbs is much more straight laced and doesn't offer up much of anything in his pressers.

If you compare their coaching resumes, I don't see how anyone can objectively say that Parcells is the better coach. I think it's very even.

They are both cream of the crop, but I would give the slight edge to Gibbs.[/QUOTE]

Can anyone tell me if Gibbs assistants have had success as Head coaches?

I think that Jimmy Johnsons rep has been tarnished a little bit because of the lack of success of his assistants - I don't have to tell you guys about Norv Turner - Dave Wanstadt (sp) Butch Davis....

5RINGS 07-25-2006 11:45 AM

Here is a better list of the coaches under the Parcells Tree.

1. Parcells (Dallas)
2. Belichick (New England)
3. Tom Coughlin (New York Giants)
4. Saban (Miami)
5. Romeo Crennel (Cleveland)
6. Eric Mangini (New York Jets)
7. Sean Payton (New Orleans)
8. Linehan (St. Louis)

And before I get the usual 'How many Super Bowls has Parcells won without Belichek' let me say this; the same amount that Belichek has won without Crennel or Weiss.

scowan 07-25-2006 11:51 AM

There are more Cowboys fans than Redskins fans. That is all this Poll represents.

724Skinsfan 07-25-2006 11:52 AM

[quote=5RINGS]Can anyone tell me if Gibbs assistants have had success as Head coaches?

I think that Jimmy Johnsons rep has been tarnished a little bit because of the lack of success of his assistants - I don't have to tell you guys about Norv Turner - Dave Wanstadt (sp) Butch Davis....[/quote]

Most of them (Bugel, Breaux, Burns and Simmons) are still with him. A true mark of a great football coach. Bugel did try his hand at coaching the Cardnals and Raiders. He did...poorly.

MTK 07-25-2006 11:56 AM

A coaching tree isn't the end all determination of the legacy of a great coach.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=scowan]There are more Cowboys fans than Redskins fans. That is all this Poll represents.[/QUOTE]

True.

Really these things need to be decided on the field.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]A coaching tree isn't the end all determination of the legacy of a great coach.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that it was.

I said that it might explain the the perception that Parcells is better than Gibbs.

I think they are both GOAT worthy and it would be hard to pick between them.

724Skinsfan 07-25-2006 12:32 PM

[quote=5RINGS]I didn't say that it was.

I said that it might explain the the perception that Parcells is better than Gibbs.

I think they are both GOAT worthy and it would be hard to pick between them.[/quote]

What makes a person a great head coach? Their overall record? The achievements of his assistants after they left for greener pastures? I think it's the ability to step into an organization in turmoil and get it going in the right direction. Both Parcell's and Gibbs have proven ability to do this.

EternalEnigma21 07-25-2006 12:38 PM

keep voting... we're ahead in most catagories now...

MTK 07-25-2006 01:00 PM

[quote=5RINGS]I didn't say that it was.

I think they are both GOAT worthy and it would be hard to pick between them.[/quote]

Sorry, that seemed to be your take.

I agree they are both two of the best... but I really think Parcell's relationship with the media is what sets him apart. He's a great story, a great quote, he sells papers and brings in ratings, he's the center of attention. People eat that stuff up.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-25-2006 01:06 PM

I agree there. But honestly, Gibbs is good for very "inspirational" media sessions. Both are highly charismatic people and just as Parcells is good for his snotty (and sometimes witty comments) Gibbs is good for an inspirational quote or story.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 01:07 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Sorry, that seemed to be your take.

I agree they are both two of the best... but I really think Parcell's relationship with the media is what sets him apart. He's a great story, a great quote, he sells papers and brings in ratings, he's the center of attention. People eat that stuff up.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Parcells is a Prima Donna and the Press eats it up when he treats them like fools. I watch his press conferences online and while he is a great teller of football tales (when he is in the mood), it seems like the reporters just line up to get abuse from him.

"Please Bill insult me, Shame me!!'

I swear it's like watching the class bully and his sycophants.

i don't get it. But he is a good quote.

5RINGS 07-25-2006 01:18 PM

Full Confession,

I thought that Gibbs had lost it after his first season back from Nascar.

I was as wrong as could be.

TheMalcolmConnection 07-25-2006 01:24 PM

I'm sure many Cowboy's fans were laughing after the inaugural season. :mad:

gortiz 07-25-2006 01:27 PM

[quote=BDBohnzie]Got my votes in. Damn shame there are that many idiots in this world who think Parcells is better than Gibbs.[/quote]

My guess, is that there are more people in this world similiar to Parcells (abusive, abrasive, arrogant,) then are like St. Joe.

Could you see Joe making that "Jap" play comment?

MTK 07-25-2006 01:37 PM

[quote=5RINGS]Full Confession,

I thought that Gibbs had lost it after his first season back from Nascar.

I was as wrong as could be.[/quote]

What was funnier was how so many "know it alls" in the media called Gibbs through and done not even halfway through his first season back. I think it was Terry Bradshaw that proclaimed Gibbs was washed up.

Just goes to show you how much respect a Hall of Fame bust buys you these days. Alot of people weren't even willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for [U]one season[/U].

A great coach is a great coach no matter what decade we're talking about. The great ones can adapt and find new ways to be successful.

MTK 07-25-2006 01:39 PM

I have to admit it, I like watching Parcells' press conferences. He tells it like it is, and he gives the media crap for asking dumb questions.

D'BOYZ 07-25-2006 04:21 PM

Ok I agree with most of you and I also put your offense as the best in the division just because right now I don't know how our oline will work.

In all this Parcell vs Gibbs thing we can agree that both are HOF coaches the thing that has put in some readers Parcell above Gibbs it's the fact that Parcell has succesfully changed 4 franchises and brought them back 2 contention. Gibbs has done it twice both with the redskins I believe that's the hardest thing to do turn a losing franchise for years and make it competitive again.

It's really impressive what both coaches have made in so little time we're are talking about 2 of the most inportant franchsies that were bottom feaders for years and now because of thsi coaches and their programs are consider SB contenders.

and I don't really accept the comment about dallas has a bigger fan base a few months ago there was a poll about wich receiver should enter the HOF first Monk or Irvin and Monk destroyed Irvin if ti was about the fan base then it should be a competition it has 2 do with what people believe period.

PSUSkinsFan21 07-25-2006 05:47 PM

[quote=Mattyk72]What was funnier was how so many "know it alls" in the media called Gibbs through and done not even halfway through his first season back. I think it was Terry Bradshaw that proclaimed Gibbs was washed up.

Just goes to show you how much respect a Hall of Fame bust buys you these days. Alot of people weren't even willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for [U]one season[/U].

A great coach is a great coach no matter what decade we're talking about. The great ones can adapt and find new ways to be successful.[/quote]

Agreed. Is there any doubt that if Lombardi could come back today and coach that he would be a winner? I know I, for one, have no doubt he could. The question for Gibbs should have never been "if" he could be successful again (none of those so-called experts deserve to even ask that kind of question)......it should have been "how long" will it take. Fortunately for Redskins Nation, it didn't take very long at all.

PSUSkinsFan21 07-25-2006 06:09 PM

My biggest problem with Parcells is what he did to the Patriots when they made the Super Bowl against the Packers. I remember he sealed the deal with the Jets and announced that he would not be the Patriots coach the next year no matter what the outcome of the Super Bowl was, and he did this like a week before the game. To me, that was inexcusable and unforgiveable. There simply was no reason for that. He basically told his players before the biggest game of their lives that he was ditching them for more money with another team no matter how hard they played for him. It was just a completely classless thing to do and totally unnecessary. The guy is such a freaking attention whore though, that he had to have the headlines all to himself. God forbid he have to share the Superbowl hype with the rest of his team, let everyone concentrate on the game, and then make his big announcement after the game.

You'd never catch Gibbs doing that sort of thing. Gibbs would rather die than do that to one of his teams. But, then that's the difference between the two. Gibbs was a loyal Hall of Fame coach, and Parcells is a soon-to-be Hall of Fame coach with some fatter pockets and a bigger ego to fill.

Really, this is not meant as an offense to the Cowboy fans on here......I just hate your coach. Always have, always will....regardless of the team. There's no doubt he's one of the best coaches to have ever coached in the NFL........I just really can't stand him.

SmootSmack 07-25-2006 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]What was funnier was how so many "know it alls" in the media called Gibbs through and done not even halfway through his first season back. I think it was Terry Bradshaw that proclaimed Gibbs was washed up.

A great coach is a great coach no matter what decade we're talking about. The great ones can adapt and find new ways to be successful.[/QUOTE]

Props to Bradshaw though for admitting he was mistaken last year.

MTK 07-25-2006 06:30 PM

[quote=TAFKAS]Props to Bradshaw though for admitting he was mistaken last year.[/quote]

True.