Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Lets Go Pistons (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=1463)

Daseal 06-07-2004 12:03 AM

Lets Go Pistons

Jesus, I hate the Lakers!

Gmanc711 06-07-2004 01:21 AM

WOOOOOOOOO! Pistons up 1-0. Seriously the Lakers dont deserve to win a championship. They only show up when they want too, and its really bush league. I hope the Pistons take this series.

cpayne5 06-07-2004 09:39 AM

I hate the Lakers too. I only watched the first half and thought that the Lakers would pull away in the second half. Then when I turned on the radio this morning, much to my delight, I heard they won.

I hate Shaq.

MTK 06-07-2004 03:28 PM

Anybody but the Lakers. They're like the Yankees of the NBA.

cpayne5 06-08-2004 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]Anybody but the Lakers. They're like the Yankees of the NBA.[/QUOTE]
My professional sports hate list:

1. Dallas Cowboys
2. NY Yankees - 1996 ALCS (the Jeffrey Maier incident)
3. LA Lakers (I must say, I hate #'s 1 & 2 with a greater passion)

cpayne5 06-08-2004 09:56 AM

I love it:

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A23524-2004Jun7.html[/url]

Riggo44 06-08-2004 08:36 PM

Go Lakers!!!! Ha Ha Ha! :laughing- All you Laker haters out there are going to be bumbed!!! There going to win there 4th title in 5 yrs!! :headbange Jackson will get his 10th ring! :D

SmootSmack 06-08-2004 08:57 PM

I'm trying to find the answer to something, maybe you all can help me:

As you all might know, Bill Davidson owns the Detroit Pistons, the NHL champion Tampa Bay Lightning, and the WNBA champion Detroit Shock.

Do you know if any other owner has ever owned champions in more than one pro league at the same time?

SmootSmack 06-08-2004 09:27 PM

[URL=http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=ny15506031651.nba_finals_lakers_ny155&prov=ap]Walter Payton?[/URL]

When did Sweetness rise from the grave to put on high tops? Guess someone forgot to proofread over at Yahoo Sports

cpayne5 06-09-2004 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Riggo44]Go Lakers!!!! Ha Ha Ha! :laughing- All you Laker haters out there are going to be bumbed!!! There going to win there 4th title in 5 yrs!! :headbange Jackson will get his 10th ring! :D[/QUOTE]
You know, I don't think I'd mind the Lakers so much if it weren't for Shaq. He's just an arrogant jerk. He's good and all, but he could stand to be a bit more humble.

RedskinRat 06-09-2004 05:38 PM

They were lucky to win game two. I hope the Pistons stick it to 'em over the next three games.

SKINSnCANES 06-10-2004 01:08 PM

I dont really like the Lakers but im rooting for them. I dont care for the Pistons, they are a constant reminder that the Wizards fail to keep talent and mazimize their talent. Plus, ive got a huge stack of Shaq rookie cards that I want to go up in value like they were when he first entered the league. And i figure if he keeps gettign rings it will make them go up in value.

I also think Bryant is the cloest player to becoming the next Jordan. Hes so gifted and has so many years left in his career. Hes like an 8 year pro and is only 27 or something liek that.

PSUskinsfan11 06-10-2004 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=Daseal]Jesus, I hate the Lakers![/QUOTE]

I know I am a little late on this post but I hate the Lakers more than any franchise in any sport. I am a HUGE T-wolves fan and I was praying that they would be the ones to take them out, but instead we had some difficult injuries (Cassel, Hudson) to deal with and came up short. At least the Pistons seem to have a good shot at knocking them off. It would be nice to see the Wallace's and Rip get a ring!!!!

P.S. It has been said that Kobe's Lower Marion team beat Rip's Coatsville team in the state final but it is not possible because both teams are in the eastern bracket for AAAA playoffs. It was the eastern champ. not the state champ. and I just wanna throw it out there that a kid from my town (Williamsport, PA) held Kobe to 6 points in there game vs. us in that same tourny, even though LM did get the win.

Skins1573 06-10-2004 01:33 PM

Lakers all the way, It's not like they are anything close to the yanks who spen all kinds of money each year to buy a championship. For most part they have been the same team, oh by the way Go LAKERS :headbange

PSUskinsfan11 06-10-2004 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Skins1573]It's not like they are anything close to the yanks who spen all kinds of money each year to buy a championship. [/QUOTE]

I hope your being sarcastic.

Carnage 06-10-2004 01:58 PM

I hate the Lakers too, but that 3 of Kobe's was epic.

SmootSmack 06-10-2004 02:45 PM

I always find it interesting that people hate teams like the Yankees and Lakers because their owners spend money on the team and gets results (i.e. championships) Here in the DC area we have a couple of teams that undeniably have spent some serious money the last few years (talking about the Skins and Orioles) but without any positive results so far. If they had won several titles would we be saying we hate these teams? I doubt it.

Bottom line, as an Orioles fan I don't like the Yankees and since Magic stopped playing I'm sort of indifferent toward the Lakers but I'm not going to say I hate them because they try to win and they succeed.

cpayne5 06-11-2004 09:10 AM

Go Lakers :D

cpayne5 06-11-2004 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]Bottom line, as an Orioles fan I don't like the Yankees and since Magic stopped playing I'm sort of indifferent toward the Lakers but I'm not going to say I hate them because they try to win and they succeed.[/QUOTE]

You should hate the Yankees because of what happened in the '96 ALCS. Ok, so the Yankees didn't really cheat, but they did reward the cheater by giving him box seats to numerous games the next year. Punks.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=cpayne5]You should hate the Yankees because of what happened in the '96 ALCS. Ok, so the Yankees didn't really cheat, but they did reward the cheater by giving him box seats to numerous games the next year. Punks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Jeffrey Meier is a punk, no doubt about it. I have a personal conflict regarding the Yankees because my cousin plays for them so at the very least I have to root for him

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 11:35 AM

Last night's game was great! 20 point blowout! With all the ex-Bullets (sorry, still can't bring myself to call them the Dumbledores), Rip the UConn Husky, as good a defense that the NBA has ever seen, and being written off by all the "pundits" before the series even started is making me root like hell for them.

It's sad I hate the Lakers so much (just as I hate the Yanks, Duke, and the Cowrhoids). When I was a kid, I wanted to be Kareem in the worst way... I did thousands and thousands of sky hooks in the driveway. I loved those Laker teams! Kareem, Magic, Coop, Rambis, Worthy, A.C.....

MTK 06-11-2004 11:39 AM

I grew up a Celtics fan so hating the Lakers is just natural, it has nothing to do with the money they spend, in fact I like Shaq and Kobe as individual players, just don't like the team.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 12:06 PM

[QUOTE=Mattyk72]I grew up a Celtics fan so hating the Lakers is just natural, it has nothing to do with the money they spend, in fact I like Shaq and Kobe as individual players, just don't like the team.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it seems that people our age were divided in three camps as kids... Lakers, Sixers, and Celts. I loved Dr. J, but hated the Sixers in general and just couldn't stand the Celts.

I think it's the fact that I can't stand Kobe is why I hate them now. He always just struck me as a spoiled brat. That game this season where he decided that he didn't like the criticisms about his selfishness so he didn't shoot all game was the all time low. What a baby. That and I think Rick Fox should walk in front of a bus. Then I can give Vanessa a call.... Me-ow!

Shaq is a great great player, one of the all time best centers. I'd have loved to see him play in a time when low post players were far more of a widespread force than they are now. I'm looking forward to Okafor coming into the league next year... he's old school.

C'mon Dumbledores... pull off a trade for that #1 pick and draft him! Or in thinking about it, maybe not. I want Okafor to have a good career, so DC might not be the best place for him. ;)

SKINSnCANES 06-11-2004 12:38 PM

wow, Phil Jackson better have a long talk with those boys today...

Anyone think the Wizards will ever make the playoffs again?

JWsleep 06-11-2004 12:48 PM

Watching Hamilton play is the best evidence that it will be a long time before the wizards make the playoffs. How do you give up a guy like that?

Go Pistons.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 12:53 PM

If Hamilton were still here he'd still be playing no-defense, disappearing in the 4th quarter and complaining about not getting to be the man. It's the curse of Les Boulez. MCI Center, where all stars come to die

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]If Hamilton were still here he'd still be playing no-defense, disappearing in the 4th quarter and complaining about not getting to be the man. It's the curse of Les Boulez. MCI Center, where all stars come to die[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't think that would be the case if Rip were still here. He ended up being traded to Detroit by Jordan because Rip used to complain about Jordan not being a team player, not because he wanted to be the man. He knew that Jordan was the man, but everyone who saw him play here knows Jordan was a damn selfish player as a Wizard and he constantly tripped over his own ego. I think every Wizard gave up by the end of the third quarter because in Jordan's eyes, he thought no one but himself was worth a crap. Having a boss like that would drive me nuts too.

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 01:24 PM

Except when Jordan hurt his knee a couple of years ago and had to be shelved for the last few weeks of the season the Wizards were in the playoffs. I would have thought then that Hamilton would step up with Jordan out and be the team leader but a.) he didn't and b.) the team again didn't make the playoffs.

I covered the Wizards that year for my job and all Rip would talk about in the locker room was how he should be the man and if given the chance he'd prove that he could lead the team to the playoffs.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I covered the Wizards that year for my job and all Rip would talk about in the locker room was how he should be the man and if given the chance he'd prove that he could lead the team to the playoffs.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. So what exactly do you do for a living? Aren't you with a TV station doing something sports-related? (obviously)

Can you get me tix?

;)

SmootSmack 06-11-2004 02:05 PM

[QUOTE=Dave Butz Baby!]Gotcha. So what exactly do you do for a living? Aren't you with a TV station doing something sports-related? (obviously)

Can you get me tix?

;)[/QUOTE]

I used to be a tv producer (did news and sports). Had the pleasure of working for 5 years with Frank Herzog. But anyway I left that a couple of years ago to go to grad school and start my own company.

I should say though that I don't want to give the impression that Rip is an a-hole. He's not. He's a good guy. Rod Strickland, now there was an ass!

Dave Butz Baby! 06-11-2004 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I used to be a tv producer (did news and sports). Had the pleasure of working for 5 years with Frank Herzog. But anyway I left that a couple of years ago to go to grad school and start my own company.

I should say though that I don't want to give the impression that Rip is an a-hole. He's not. He's a good guy. Rod Strickland, now there was an ass![/QUOTE]

Oh wow... very cool indeed! Best of luck to you in your venture. If you ever hit a point where need a top-flight databse administrator, by all means let me know!

Daseal 06-13-2004 03:15 PM

The difference between the Lakers and the Redskins, is the NFL has a salary cap. The NBA can amass as much talent in one place as they want. They have a salary cap, but it's set so high that it doesn't matter for shit. I've never liked the whole aura of the Yankees or the Lakers. Even before they were great. However, I do see parallels between how the Redskins are run and how those other franchises get run.

Daseal 06-13-2004 11:36 PM

I'd also like to respond to whoever called Shaq the best center ever with HA!

Watch any given game. See how many non-calls he gets. He is the greatest center ever if offensive fouls and 3 second violations count as positive towards that goal. He's an overweight ogre that seems to have every official wrapped around his pinky. If Shaq didn't get calls, he'd foul out in the first half.

MTK 06-15-2004 11:06 PM

The Pistons are killing the Lakers tonight and I'm lovin' it!

Gmanc711 06-15-2004 11:29 PM

The Lakers should be embarressed by their effort in the NBA Finals. I feel bad for Malone, but everyone else deserves to be getting their asses kicked. What a tankjob. Congratulations to my favorite NBA Team as a young kid, the Detriot Pistons, it was well deserved.

RedskinRat 06-15-2004 11:46 PM

That was an excellent sight. Piston win big!

SmootSmack 06-16-2004 12:01 AM

I thought the series sucked. I don't care that the Pistons won. Larry Brown up until last night was one of the best, if not the best, coaches not to have a won a professional title. And Joe Dumars is my favorite NBA player of all time so I have no problem with the Pistons winning the title but I wanted a competitive series and this was far from it.

I know Shaq isn't too popular with some people here but I thought he came to play and played hard every night. But beyond that it was really sad, for lack of a better word. Pistons double and triple teamed Bryant every time and no one else (namely Rush, Fisher, and George) stepped up. Payton has looked totally out of place with the Lakers this year and Malone's age seemed to catch up with him.

I wonder if Kobe was distracted at all during this series knowing that regardless of the results the season was coming to a close and now he has to face the toughest challenge of his life. He's got no basketball games to escape to now.

Dave Butz Baby! 06-16-2004 12:07 AM

As the Pistons just demonstrated once again, there seems to be two consistant themes in winning championships in any sport.

1. Individuals putting the team's needs before their own will give the team the best shot to get to a championship.
2. Defense wins championships.

Joe Gibbs knows this lesson well! So do the Pistons, the Pats, UConn, the Ravens, ...

C'mon season.. get here....

JWsleep 06-16-2004 01:41 AM

And Larry Brown is Gibbs' age as well.

I actually liked the series because it showed that good team BBall could beat the ego-laden star system NBA. And I do hate the Lakers, and it doesn't surprise me that once they took a hit, they folded. They just stopped playing, which is pretty weak for a pro team. But they did get their asses handed to them.

Hockey and Basketball are over. It's just baseball now until the [U]real sport [/U] begins!!!!

Daseal 06-16-2004 07:48 AM

Larry Brown and Pat Riley are my two favorite NBA coaches. I'm so happy to see Larry get one. The Lakers didn't have a shot against that defense. Kobe would get double/trippled up when he drove, and Fisher/george/rush/etc all had a hand in their face nearly every shot. The Lakers aren't used to having that much pressure applied.