Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Parking Lot (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What REALLY grinds your gears? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=18461)

tshile 06-23-2014 08:36 PM

Re: What REALLY grinds your gears?

people that wave others through at stop signs.

if it's your turn, go.

MTK 06-23-2014 09:47 PM

[quote=tshile;1074649]people that wave others through at stop signs.

if it's your turn, go.[/quote]

One of my big gripes too. Just go, you're only messing up the flow and causing more confusion.

MTK 06-23-2014 09:48 PM

[quote=over the mountain;1074458]farts.

you cant trust them.

i let one go in my office and it stunk.[/quote]

Shoulda went with a crop duster

over the mountain 07-01-2014 10:48 AM

1. coffee lids that leak.

good god that pisses me the feck off.

for something so small and simple, it can lead to disaster

2. our firms IT guy.

never really fixes anything, just band-aids things.

seems we always have to call him every 2 weeks

spends half his time on the clock actually just socializing with certain staff members which costs us money to him hourly and that employees time as well.

over the mountain 07-01-2014 10:51 AM

my boss who insists on printing out internet or email crap that throws the printer i use out of format.

before i print i need to get up and check the printer to make sure it isnt screwed up. if i dont, it ends up printing on envelopes or printing the first page 20 times.

then he just leaves all these random email/internet printouts on the printer and never picks them up. i organize them on a table next to the printer but they will just sit there for a few days until i throw them away.

Daseal 07-01-2014 01:56 PM

[quote=over the mountain;1075054]1. coffee lids that leak.

good god that pisses me the feck off.

for something so small and simple, it can lead to disaster

2. our firms IT guy.

never really fixes anything, just band-aids things.

seems we always have to call him every 2 weeks

spends half his time on the clock actually just socializing with certain staff members which costs us money to him hourly and that employees time as well.[/quote]

1. Amen. Starbucks is terrible for this. From what I can tell, where the lid and the fold of the cup meet leaks like a sieve. I find using a blocker actually makes this worse.

2. Does he have enough money? I know a lot of IT guys get blamed for doing half-assed fixes, but often that's due to the budget you get. I don't know any IT folks that want to deal with old hardware, legacy software, etc etc.

over the mountain 07-01-2014 02:04 PM

[quote=Daseal;1075070]1. Amen. Starbucks is terrible for this. From what I can tell, where the lid and the fold of the cup meet leaks like a sieve. I find using a blocker actually makes this worse.

2. Does he have enough money? I know a lot of IT guys get blamed for doing half-assed fixes, but often that's due to the budget you get. I don't know any IT folks that want to deal with old hardware, legacy software, etc etc.[/quote]

1. yes, i was talking aobut starbuck's lids

2. yes, we do have a crappy IT budget with dinosaur hardware and cheap software

whats the score of the US v belguim game?

Daseal 07-01-2014 03:46 PM

1. We should start a class-action lawsuit for the amount of ties I've ruined with those damn dripping cups.

2. I bet that's the problem more than your IT guy. Can't get blood from a stone.

3. 1-0.

JoeRedskin 07-02-2014 10:05 AM

Attorney - who has been receiving direct oversight from the two senior counsel because of recent job performance issues - walks into my office at 4:30 yesterday to tell me he is going on extended medical leave as of 5:00. Next thing out of his mouth is "I don't want to leave anyone in a jam."

Really - then perhaps you could have said something yesterday when I assigned you a new case with a response date two weeks from now. Maybe you could have said something to the other senior counsel when you handed him your brief for review/editing which is due in less than two weeks (and for which he got you an extension). Maybe at our now weekly meetings, you could have indicated this was pending rather than making vague references to possible leave requests - that way we may have been able to deal with the multitude of issues pending in you not-to-particularly-heavy case load. As it is, all the deadlines we set for making sure you were properly handling your caseload are pretty much out the door and to complete any of the necessary work means that myself and the other senior counsel must do your work.

Bottom line, don't walk in 30 minutes before you intend to take an extended absence, take a steamer on my desk, and then say "I don't want to leave anyone in a jam." I am still livid.

JoeRedskin 07-02-2014 11:19 PM

It has been a gear grinding day.

At our rental, a couple of tenants "swapped out" of the existing lease. The swap included the primary signatory on the lease. Prior to the swap, I made clear to both exiting and incoming tenants that, regardless of the swap, the incoming tenant would be responsible for any crap left by old tenants.

On the day after the swap, new primary tenant dumps a ton of sh** in the driveway. When confronted, he says it was all the old tenant's stuff that she was supposed to clean out but was now saying she wasn't responsible for. He was going to hire a hauler but didn't realize how expensive it would be to haul all the crap left behind. He is trying to get cash from old tenant but good luck with that. He's a good guy with very good references. I am confident he will make it all go away in short order - one way or another.

That's the backstory, now the gear grinding part. Neighbor A who lives across the alley from the rental and next to us is trying to sell her house. We have been on good terms with her for about 10 years. The tenant's stuff has been in the driveway for less than 72 hours and she has called my wife and I at least 20 times to bitch and ask what we are doing about it. I told her we had been in contact with the tenant, that he had gotten screwed over by past tenant and we were all working to get it cleaned up by the end of the week.

Neighbor A tells me Neighbor B is really upset about it too. I call him, he wants it cleaned up but is in no way upset. According to Neighbor B, it was neighbor A who approached him to bitch. He and I have known each other for 20 years, and he closed the conversation with "Yo, brother I got your back. We cool."

The thing about Neighbor A that is particularly gear grinding, however, is that my wife and I (mostly my wife) have provided her free dog sitting and kid sitting on a regular basis - literally hundreds of dollars worth if we were to charge for it. Also, since we have a spigot and electric on the front of the house and she does not, she just helps herself to water and electric - generally, I don't mind but a six-pack or other in-kind offering on occasion would be nice. Recently, every time she has a showing during the day, my wife goes over and turns on the AC for her and brings her giganto Mastiff to our house. Last time, my wife fricking cleaned the litter boxes for her. All free of charge.

You'd think she could cut us a little f'ing slack.

JoeRedskin 07-03-2014 01:14 PM

Please let it end ...

Case against very intelligent creepy stalker dude. Arguing he was sanctioned differently then others in similarly situated circumstances for illegal reasons, he asks for all relevant sanction letters to demonstrate this. We produce thousands of pages of documents including similar but different sanctions, client assures me all relevant documents. Plaintiff doesn't believe it and files a motion to compel and argues we are acting in bad faith.

Me to client: Okay, plaintiff has filed a motion to the court seeking to compel us to produce all the records. Have we produced all the records?

Client: Yes.

Me: You're sure. You have looked in all the nooks and crannies, boxes and e-files. I have everything that may even be possibly relevant.

Client: Absolutely. Checked and Double Checked.

Me: Okay. Please check ONE MORE TIME before I make any representations to the court.

Client: Okay. [24 hour pause] ... Yup, you have them all, every scrap in existence.

Me: Great, thanks.

Me to Court: We have given him everything relevant. Nothing has been withheld, we have carefully searched and all the documents he could possibly use to argue his point have been produced.

[24 hour pause] Court: In light of counsel's representations, no extension to Plaintiff. The order to compel is denied and no sanctions for bad faith levied.

THREE HOURS LATER ...

Client: Oh hey, we just found this sanction letter involving another individual who was both criminally charged and administratively charged ... just like the Plaintiff. For the same violations as the Plaintiff. With a different sanction than the Plaintiff. It was in the same box as the other letters. Sorry, [I]WE JUST MISSED IT[/I].

Me: <Head Explodes>

I cannot WAIT to tell the Judge "ooops!"

Hey client, way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and double your litigation expenses.

I need alcohol on an intravenous level.

JoeRedskin 07-03-2014 01:19 PM

Oh, by the way ... did I mention that my car overheated on the interstate last Friday and blew the engine (As in "you need a new engine or a new car")?

CRedskinsRule 07-03-2014 03:30 PM

A truism in relationship to Neighbor A

Relationship ♔ ‏@BestLifeNotes Jun 30
People usually forget to thank you when you do good to them, but they never forget to blame you if you did wrong to them.
Expand

Giantone 07-03-2014 06:33 PM

[quote=JoeRedskin;1075180]Oh, by the way ... did I mention that my car overheated on the interstate last Friday and blew the engine (As in "you need a new engine or a new car")?[/quote]

New car !:food-smil

or an old "good" one ...

[URL]http://www.thewarpath.net/parking-lot/57871-muscle-cars.html[/URL]

mredskins 07-03-2014 07:02 PM

Joe a lot of your ranting could have been in the bad news thread. Let's make sure we are using the proper threads.
=)