Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay. (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21470)

firstdown 12-18-2007 01:34 PM

Re: Coach Gibbs might consider extending stay.

All he said is that usually before the year begins when a coach is in their last year they will either go ahead and do a contract extension if the parties agree. If you notice Snyder had no comment on the issue which is strange because of how much he thinks of Gibbs. That also tells me that Snyder may have other thoughts and if he didn't he would have said "that would be great" not "No Comment". I have backed Gibbs his 4 years but I'm not sold that he can take this team to the SB. I have no problems with him finishing out his 5 years but at this point I'm not wanting to see him sign any new deals until we see how this year ends up and how next year goes. We have had a bunch of injuries and the death of ST but allot of our losses were before these problems and games we should have won. I know people will say we had injuries from the 1st game but we also had a bunch of games we could have won and if we could have split those with a couple of more wins we would not be cheering on other teams for help.

724Skinsfan 12-18-2007 01:37 PM

[quote=skinsguy;394565]Gibbs XP[/quote]

Why does it have to be Windows-based?

iGibbs

The Zimmermans 12-18-2007 01:44 PM

Gibbs should stay, i love having him around, but he needs to stand as either the head coach, or the GM. Not Both.

12thMan 12-18-2007 01:47 PM

[quote=724Skinsfan;394610]Why does it have to be Windows-based?

iGibbs[/quote]

I like WiGbbs.

MTK 12-18-2007 01:48 PM

[quote=firstdown;394609]All he said is that usually before the year begins when a coach is in their last year they will either go ahead and do a contract extension if the parties agree. If you notice Snyder had no comment on the issue which is strange because of how much he thinks of Gibbs. That also tells me that Snyder may have other thoughts and if he didn't he would have said "that would be great" not "No Comment". I have backed Gibbs his 4 years but I'm not sold that he can take this team to the SB. I have no problems with him finishing out his 5 years but at this point I'm not wanting to see him sign any new deals until we see how this year ends up and how next year goes. We have had a bunch of injuries and the death of ST but allot of our losses were before these problems and games we should have won. I know people will say we had injuries from the 1st game but we also had a bunch of games we could have won and if we could have split those with a couple of more wins we would not be cheering on other teams for help.[/quote]

Snyder doesn't comment on anything during the season so it's not all that surprising.

Rajmahal33 12-18-2007 02:15 PM

I think im in the boat that says i want him to stay with the team for years and year to come...

However, at the coaching capacity I don't know. Let's try to objectively see what he brings to the table as well as his shortcomings:

Joe's Pros (btw I'm trademarking that):
- [B]Years of experience[/B]; this is something that new coach may not necessarily bring even if he has coached before. However that experience might be somewhat overrated when it comes to game-time decisions b/c the pace and strategies of football has somewhat changed (instant replay, speed of the D-ends, 2 minutes drills, etc)
- [B]Great motivation skills[/B]; let's face it, he is a player's coach and the guys in the locker room respect him and will play their ass off for him. There is and will be no insubordination (like we see on other teams around the league) and this is an underrated subtlety of the modern game. Players play focused down the stretch of the season and this is why we have played well in December (knock on wood).
- [B]Scouting and developing youth[/B]; He has drafted well or at least better than his recent predecessors and has an eye for talent. This is vital for building a playoff team by bringing in guys who can contribute in the later rounds. He can teach them to be men as well as players and thats important these days.
- [B]Taking teams to the next level[/B]; he's done it before and he knows how to get teams to overachieve on a CONSISTENT basis. His second time around he didn't have a team for the future until now. I think when JC comes back next year we will have a team for the future that will be a perennial playoff threat and he can get us to that next level year in year out.
-[B] Fan Loyalty;[/B] This can also be a con b/c ppl have a tendency to give him a pass that they wouldnt give other guys. I think overall this is a good thing though. A coach, just like a QB, that doesn't have to look over his shoulders, is going to perform better.

Joe's Cons:
-[B] Game-time mismanagment[/B]; this stems from an overall problem with his outlook. It may be that he is getting slower in his old age and isnt mentally as sharp. At times he seems like he can't adapt to the new game, especially in close games when it matters the most. I don't think he is inept but he does have a tendency to bumble around a bit. I don't think this is that big of a problem but a younger coach would probably be able to make [B]quicker[/B] decisions, though they may not be the correct ones.
- [B]Outdated schemes[/B]; His usual bread and butter is power running and stopping the run. If we've seen anything this year, its that the Passing game, around the league, is flourishing. We need to build a team that can pass well and often and stop the pass. This is contrary to his usual philosophy and at times he has shown an unwillingness or inability to change. I understand that its really Saunders' offense and GW's defense but he makes game-time decisions like 4th down scenarios and overall game management. These decisions are made based on a strong influence of his old school philosophies. [B]This is probably my biggest gripe with him and I think this can be cured with a new coach (even if it is GW).[/B]
- [B]Age and Health[/B]; The man is old and he is a diabetic. I hate to say it but his long term health and his ability to coach for 3 more years is very much in doubt. If we are on the cusp of something huge and all of a sudden he is ripped from the team it could upset the balance of things and really ruin our chances. I can remember the Falcon's superbowl run when Reeves had a quadruple bypass. Sure the players played well in honor of their coach but they were just unprepared for the Superbowl (and this was a really good 14-2 team) even though he only missed the divisional playoff game. Having consistency at the coaching position is as important as any other position on the field and I think a coach of the future would provide this, especially if it is GW.

I personally think that Gibbs can still provide the team with the first 3 things on that pros list (impart his experience, motivate the team, and develop youth) without being the head coach. Because of his status whoever the next head coach is, won't feel as though he is meddling but can still stay close to the team. He can provide the intangibles that are synonymous with Joe Gibbs without hindering the teams growth by sticking around too long and tarnishing his legacy. A new coach can bring in some much needed enthusiasm as well. Morale at redskins park these days seems to be at an all-time low (From the Taylor tragedy) even though we are still in the playoff hunt. Part of the rebuilding process may mean that we need a change from the status quo.

Beemnseven 12-18-2007 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Rajmahal33;394630]
Joe's Pros (btw I'm trademarking that):

- [B]Scouting and developing youth[/B]; He has drafted well or at least better than his recent predecessors and has an eye for talent. This is vital for building a playoff team by bringing in guys who can contribute in the later rounds. He can teach them to be men as well as players and thats important these days.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that I agree with this one. Gibbs is a master at many things in football -- personnel decision making isn't one of them.

ArtMonkDrillz 12-18-2007 02:23 PM

I'd sort of prefer to go with a new coach at this point but I wouldn't be completely pissed if Gibbs stays for another season or two.
That being said, doesn't he basically have to sign some sort of an extension so that he's not a lame-duck next year?

Bill B 12-18-2007 02:33 PM

[quote=Beemnseven;394633]I don't know that I agree with this one. Gibbs is a master at many things in football -- personnel decision making isn't one of them.[/quote]

Good point Beemnseven - especially when it comes to trading of draft picks - until this year we have had a lack of picks and this hurts depth in the long run. I hope Gibbs 2.0 or whatever we call him and the rest of the collective braintrust over at Redskin Park (since there is no offically GM and the decision making is made as a "team") has decided to build the team via the draft and low priced free agents instead of trading picks and signing big name free agents.

We need depth in the worst way and unfortunately the high amount of injuries reminded us this year that injuries are part of the game and spending the majority of your cap on the front line starters and little on backups is too big a gamble.

SmootSmack 12-18-2007 02:45 PM

[QUOTE=Beemnseven;394633]I don't know that I agree with this one. Gibbs is a master at many things in football -- personnel decision making isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

Like most other executives he's had his hits and misses. Unfortunately, most people only want to remember Desmond Howard, or more recently Archuleta. But how about some of the "unsung" guys like Montgomery, Golston, Alexander, Heyer?

By the way, I say we take it old school C:\Dos\Gibbs, or keep it fresh for the 21st century with myGibbs.com (although that's admittedly a bit creepy, even for a Gibbs aficionado such as myself)

Hog1 12-18-2007 02:46 PM

[quote=mheisig;394588][IMG]http://extensibletech.com/images/funny/forks.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

THAT'S HUMOR!!!!!!!!!!!

Rajmahal33 12-18-2007 02:48 PM

I guess what I meant was that of the players we have drafted, they have shown a lot of promise and have developed into good young men as well as solid football players. They haven't been head cases and many have definitely overachieved. I know ppl have thrown this list up before but here are some:

-Dockery (though he didn't pick him, he did greatly influence his development)
[B]-Taylor (without Gibbs, Taylor could have really taken a turn for the worse and I think its a blessing that at least his life ended on an personal upswing)[/B]
-Cooley
-Campbell
-Rogers (though the jury is still out, he isn't a complete bust)
-McIntosh
-Montgomery
-Doughty (looks like he is gonna really start developing)
[I]-Golston (shown flashes of brilliance)[/I]
-Landry
-Blades (looks like a keeper)
-Heyer (already outperforming and proving himself as a starter in his rookie year)

Manusky91 12-18-2007 02:51 PM

I was expecting Bill Cowher to come coach the Skins in '09 after Gibbs finished his contract. Cowher keeps saying that he will not coach next year, but has not ruled out '09 after his daughter graduates. It seemed like perfect timing for the Skins and Cowher.

That being said, I personally would like to see Gibbs on the sideline as long as he wants. I don't care what all the critics say about the game passing him by. I saw him do it before, I think he still has it in him to do it again.

skinsguy 12-18-2007 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=724Skinsfan;394610]Why does it have to be Windows-based?

iGibbs[/QUOTE]

Hahaha...true that! Is iGibbs compatible with GW 2.4?

MTK 12-18-2007 02:56 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;394644]Like most other executives he's had his hits and misses. Unfortunately, most people only want to remember Desmond Howard, or more recently Archuleta. But how about some of the "unsung" guys like Montgomery, Golston, Alexander, Heyer?

By the way, I say we take it old school C:\Dos\Gibbs, or keep it fresh for the 21st century with myGibbs.com (although that's admittedly a bit creepy, even for a Gibbs aficionado such as myself)[/quote]

Yeah I think people get caught up in the big name whiffs, and don't realize all the good things that he's done personnel wise. The good outnumbers the bad by far, but the big misses are what people remember.