Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Top priority for the 2008 draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=21874)

Rajmahal33 03-25-2008 12:23 PM

Re: Top priority for the 2008 draft

True, but i have to disagree. I think johnson is an absolute phreak (with a ph) and is gonna eventually assert his will on the NFL when he gets a few years under his belt

Dirtbag59 03-25-2008 01:31 PM

Larry Fitzgerald had 750 yards his first year. Johnson had 700+ yards himself last year. If he didn't have to share the rock so much then his numbers would have been better. Just because he didn't have 1,000 yards last year doesn't mean he's a bust. In fact he's poised for a breakout year, assuming he stays healthy, in part because the OC wants to make him a big part of the offence.

KLHJ2 03-25-2008 01:37 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;434524]Larry Fitzgerald had 750 yards his first year. Johnson had 700+ yards himself last year. If he didn't have to share the rock so much then his numbers would have been better. Just because he didn't have 1,000 yards last year doesn't mean he's a bust. In fact he's poised for a breakout year, assuming he stays healthy, in part because the OC wants to make him a big part of the offence.[/quote]

I am not calling him a bust, but he was not worthy of a 1st round pick. No reciever is IMO. They all struggle at first. Even Rice.

[url=http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/11/17/ramblings/too-deep-zone/4554/]FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008[/url]

Twenty-one years ago this week, Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers’ troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.
The rookie’s name was Jerry Rice.

Dirtbag59 03-25-2008 01:43 PM

[quote=angryssg;434527]I am not calling him a bust, but he was not worthy of a 1st round pick. No reciever is IMO. They all struggle at first. Even Rice.

[URL="http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2006/11/17/ramblings/too-deep-zone/4554/"]FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008[/URL]

Twenty-one years ago this week, Bill Walsh stood before the skeptical Bay Area media and defended a controversial decision. He told them that the 49ers’ troubled rookie wide receiver would remain a starter despite several bad performances.
The rookie’s name was Jerry Rice.[/quote]

Oh I wasn't refering to you, I just jumped on the opportunity to put what I said out there because there were a few guys on the forum that think [B]Calvin[/B] Johnson only gaining around 700 yards last year makes him a bust. Larry Fitzgerald was the bridge I needed to connect my point. But with that said how do you not like Calvin Johnson :(

SmootSmack 03-25-2008 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;434531]Oh I wasn't refering to you, I just jumped on the opportunity to put what I said out there because there were a few guys on the forum that think Chad Johnson only gaining around 700 yards last year makes him a bust. Larry Fitzgerald was the bridge I needed to connect my point. But with that said how do you not like Calvin Johnson :([/QUOTE]

Chad Johnson didn't have 700 yards receiving last year. He had nearly 1,500.

Dirtbag59 03-25-2008 03:36 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;434534]Chad Johnson didn't have 700 yards receiving last year. He had nearly 1,500.[/quote]

Crap, Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson. Stupid typo. Why do their names have to look so similar?

SmootSmack 03-25-2008 03:45 PM

[QUOTE=Dirtbag359;434579]Crap, Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson Calvin Johnson. Stupid typo. Why do their names have to look so similar?[/QUOTE]

hahaha. Well that makes sense then.

KLHJ2 03-25-2008 04:08 PM

[quote=Dirtbag359;434531]Oh I wasn't refering to you, I just jumped on the opportunity to put what I said out there because there were a few guys on the forum that think [B]Calvin[/B] Johnson only gaining around 700 yards last year makes him a bust. Larry Fitzgerald was the bridge I needed to connect my point. But with that said how do you not like Calvin Johnson :([/quote]

I think that rating him as the best athlete in the draft was a bit over board. Not that I do not think that he has the potential to be a great reciever, but best player in the draft c'mon.

In my opinion a first round draft pick is a guy that can make a pro bowl type impact on your squad in his first season. It doesnt always happen that way as we all know. But it is even less likely for a 1st year reciever to do it. Unless his name was Marcus Colston, but nobody saw him comming.

What I am saying is that WR's take too long to develop to make them 1st round picks.

Once again, my opinion.

GTripp0012 03-25-2008 04:22 PM

Good points angry, and the idea here is to pick receivers behind their graded slot. You can't do that if you are picking them in the top ten, so it makes sense to wait a little bit and grab them when you have good value.

And if the rest of the league decides to collectively overvalue receiving talent and you can't land anyone behind slot...then just say whatever and beat them with a running game and a great defense (or just get a great QB who can win with scrubs at WR).

diehardskin2982 03-29-2008 11:39 PM

it's funny we've gone through the dan snyder era with a lack of a wideouts and defensive ends 2 positions that where our strongest before his arrival.

leisureworld 03-30-2008 12:37 AM

I'd say cornerback.