Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=26174)

GMScud 10-22-2008 08:57 PM

Re: After Setback, Kelly May Be Headed for IR

I noticed on Redskins Insider they said Springs most likely won't play. That really sucks. I don't think we'll need him too badly, so maybe it's just a precaution. Hopefully that "tweaked" calf isn't torn....

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:10 PM

Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???

53Fan 10-22-2008 09:15 PM

[quote=GMScud;492912]I noticed on Redskins Insider they said Springs most likely won't play. That really sucks. I don't think we'll need him too badly, so maybe it's just a precaution. Hopefully that "tweaked" calf isn't torn....[/quote]

I might be wrong but I think they're really trying to make sure he's in good shape for our big games down the stretch. There is no better corner in the league at shutting down T.O. and some of the others we have coming up. Him and Carlos both being back there toward the latter part of the season would put us in great shape.

DynamiteRave 10-22-2008 09:17 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492916]Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???[/quote]

Wow. You're pretty harsh. Remember, these guys JUST got drafted. I'm hoping nobody expected them to come in and have a superstar rookie season. Especially not with 2 solid WRs already. Brooks was what.. a 6th round pick? Not really a waste. Sometimes you find a diamond in the rough that late (Horton) but not usually. Thomas and Davis I think will be good additions in the coming weeks and are definitely good to have in case, God forbid, someone gets injured. The only draft pick that is really bothering me is Kelly and his bum knee.

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 09:17 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492916]Why are we horrible at drafting wrs? Gardner...cliff russel, michelle westbrook, taylor jacobs?? The list goes on...Kenaan mcardell may be the only exception and we cut him. Im begining to think we wasted BOTH those draft picks...maybe 6 out of the ten....
Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???[/quote]

Pressing the panic button a bit too soon aren't we?

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:18 PM

i like fred davis dont get me wrong...but these guys seem to be alot farther behind..the season is almost half done and none of them have even hardy seen the field..and a sixth rounder was wasted on a punter who does that??

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 09:23 PM

I feel repetitive now, but when you return 20+ starters, no one is expecting that the rookies are going to suddenly be shining. Horton had the chance only because of the loss of ST, does anyone think Horton would be playing if he was still here.

CRedskinsRule 10-22-2008 09:26 PM

also, I've wondered alot about our WR Coach, I don't know anything about him, but it doesn't seem like we have a track record of growing receivers in house. Does anyone know how he came to the Skins?

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 09:28 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492923]i like fred davis dont get me wrong...but these guys seem to be alot farther behind..the season is almost half done and none of them have even hardy seen the field..and a sixth rounder was wasted on a punter who does that??[/quote]

Well I didn't agree with their decision to get a punter, and I think there were better choices at DB (a definite need for us) than Tryon. But it's way too soon to say so much for building through the draft. We're only seven games into their rookie season. At this point in their respective rookie careers Jason Campbell and Santana Moss hadn't even gotten playing time yet.

This time next year Thomas, Davis, Horton, Rinehart, Kelly, Tryon could all be major contributors for us. Maybe even Jackson (a 7th round pick) and Moore.

doughtydoubter 10-22-2008 09:30 PM

i really like moore and horton...those guys are solid and props for number 48 tearing it up like a champ out there. Rinehart will blossom im sure...but we'll see. i guess its just set back after set back with those two wrs..and it is eminently frustrating to see desean and eddie royal break out so easily into the nfl.

SouperMeister 10-22-2008 09:46 PM

Durant, Tryon (although i think time will tell on him) Crystal Kelly, "showtime" thomas who hant shown anything, fred im gonna run for minus four yards davis, and rob jackson who will probably never see the field...sigh....so much for building through the draft eh boys???[/quote]I'm surprised you forgot to mention the biggest bust of all: Desmond Howard (drafted the same year as McCardell). We traded two 1st round picks (#6 and #28) to nab Howard with the 4th overall pick. WR is definitely among the riskiest positions to draft in the 1st round.

Darrell_Green_28 10-22-2008 10:42 PM

[quote=doughtydoubter;492923]i like fred davis dont get me wrong...but these guys seem to be alot farther behind..the season is almost half done and none of them have even hardy seen the field..and a sixth rounder was wasted on a punter who does that??[/quote]

maybe thats good that they havent seen the field means that the starters are still playing good and are healthy.

I also saw that besides Springs, that Smoot will be out also this week.

SouperMeister 10-22-2008 11:26 PM

[quote=Darrell_Green_28;492944]maybe thats good that they havent seen the field means that the starters are still playing good and are healthy.

[B]I also saw that besides Springs, that Smoot will be out also this week[/B].[/quote]Does that make Tryon our #3 CB on Sunday? I feel much better about our CB situation with the way Carlos Rogers is playing. He has been a stud.

GTripp0012 10-22-2008 11:27 PM

[quote=CRedskinsRule;492842]I guess that is why the FO took 2 shots at a receiver. You never really know until they get in the league, so if even one pans out we win. Right now our top 3 receivers still give us most of what we need and I still expect good things out of Thomas.[/quote]I would say that there is a real possibility that we didn't get a WR of the future out of this draft.

I'm not saying that this is likely, or even that I believe this is the case, but Malcolm Kelly is only going to be as good as his right knee allows him to be and Devin Thomas may not be anything at all.

Still, I like the draft [I]strategy[/I] that they used here, I just felt at the time (and still do) that they botched the execution. I usually like the Redskins' drafts but this one definately had me scratching my head.

SmootSmack 10-22-2008 11:28 PM

[quote=Darrell_Green_28;492944]maybe thats good that they havent seen the field means that the starters are still playing good and are healthy.

I also saw that besides Springs, that Smoot will be out also this week.[/quote]

Where did you see that about Smoot?