Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Doughty to start over Horton (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=32321)

PennSkinsFan 10-01-2009 12:57 PM

Doughty to start over Horton

[url=http://dcprosportsreport.com/2009/10/doughty-to-start-over-horton.html]Doughty to start over Horton - DC Pro Sports Report[/url]

DynamiteRave 10-01-2009 12:59 PM

Re: Doughty to start over Horton

Probably won't make too much of a difference. Doughty has been showing good promise though.

PennSkinsFan 10-01-2009 01:02 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;600372]Probably won't make too much of a difference. Doughty has been showing good promise though.[/quote]

Essentially my thought. It could make a difference if Doughty plays pass coverage better than Horton has this season. Doughty has looked better this season than Horton. I am a Horton fan, but you have to produce consistently and he has not done that.

Pocket$ $traight 10-01-2009 01:03 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;600372]Probably won't make too much of a difference. Doughty has been showing good promise though.[/quote]

Doughty has been looking pretty good. I am sure they will be switching in and out a lot.

I thought the Predator had been playing pretty well too. He did have that PI in the last game but a wideout running free is usually a mismatch against any saftey. I have seen Doughty get burned on the same play more times than I would like to remember.

Trample the Elderly 10-01-2009 01:05 PM

I told you byatches! Just don't put me (Reed Doughty) in coverage. That's not my strength.

freddyg12 10-01-2009 01:18 PM

Doughty played well & was the best tackler on the team sunday in terms of form. I imagine Blache plans to stack the box more so on sunday to stop the run. I think RD can play the cover 2 alright, just don't want him matched up 1 -1 on any wr.

I thought that PI call on Horton was bogus. He turned his head & was essentially penalized for having position. I'd like to see PI calls challengable. Let the booth make the judgement. Like a charge in b'ball, it's the toughest call to make w/consistency.

Paintrain 10-01-2009 01:20 PM

Horton has been ok this year but has made some glaring mistakes (missed tackles-esp. on Steven Jackson's 65 yd run, pass interference) but Doughty has made the most of his opportunities. I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't move Landry to SS and insert Moore as the starting FS though given our struggles in the run game.

dmvskinzfan08 10-01-2009 01:22 PM

Yeah not mad at this move. Don't really think Doughty is better in coverage. But he hasn't whiffed on plays like Horton and Landry. I really think Landry is more of the issue. But maybe Doughty can make those issues less obvious and maybe is better working with Landry than Horton. I have seen Landry and Horton attack the line of scrimmage on running plays and both of them whiffed. So I am not mad at this decision.

firstdown 10-01-2009 01:25 PM

I'm sure this decision came from DS because he no longer trust Zorn to make these decisions. I also read that DS might sit in the booth and call in the O plays. He is just letting Zorn stay on the field so he does not look bad for picking Zorn as the coach.

DynamiteRave 10-01-2009 01:27 PM

[quote=dmvskinzfan08;600389]Yeah not mad at this move. Don't really think Doughty is better in coverage. But he hasn't whiffed on plays like Horton and Landry. I really think Landry is more of the issue. But maybe Doughty can make those issues less obvious and maybe is better working with Landry than Horton. I have seen Landry and Horton attack the line of scrimmage on running plays and both of them whiffed. So I am not mad at this decision.[/quote]

I'm thinking they'll probably put Horton in for most coverage plays. Try to keep doughty in on plays like blitzes, etc. For the run stop basically.

Trample the Elderly 10-01-2009 01:35 PM

[quote=DynamiteRave;600397]I'm thinking they'll probably put Horton in for most coverage plays. Try to keep doughty in on plays like blitzes, etc. For the run stop basically.[/quote]

Why they weren't doing that from jump street is beyond me? Doughty is better at the run and at blitzes, but Horton is better in coverage.

an23dy 10-01-2009 01:36 PM

[quote=Paintrain;600388]Horton has been ok this year but has made some glaring mistakes (missed tackles-esp. on Steven Jackson's 65 yd run, pass interference) but Doughty has made the most of his opportunities. [B]I'm somewhat surprised that they didn't move Landry to SS and insert Moore as the starting FS though given our struggles in the run game.[/B][/quote]

I feel like Doughty/Horton and Landry would be better at stopping the run than Landry/Moore, but maybe that's just because I'm used to seeing Doughty/Horton in the box and Landry in pass coverage.

over the mountain 10-01-2009 01:36 PM

[quote=freddyg12;600385]Doughty played well & was the best tackler on the team sunday in terms of form. I imagine Blache plans to stack the box more so on sunday to stop the run. I think RD can play the cover 2 alright, just don't want him matched up 1 -1 on any wr.

[B]I thought that PI call on Horton was bogus[/B]. He turned his head & was essentially penalized for having position. I'd like to see PI calls challengable. Let the booth make the judgement. Like a charge in b'ball, it's the toughest call to make w/consistency.[/quote]

idk imo it looked like horton ran/bumped into him as he was trying to catch up to a receiver who had slowed down/tried to adjust his body to catch the incoming ball. on replays it def showed contact before the ball was there.

zorn spoke about this the other day, said he sat down with an NFL umpire rep and he showed him why the flag was thrown. zorn said he agreed with the call.

either way, i like reed and horton so its nice to have some decent depth at least at one position.

go skins!!

TheMalcolmConnection 10-01-2009 01:42 PM

[quote=Pocket$ $traight;600375]Doughty has been looking pretty good. I am sure they will be switching in and out a lot.

I thought the Predator had been playing pretty well too. He did have that PI in the last game but a wideout running free is usually a mismatch against any saftey. [I][B]I have seen Doughty get burned on the same play more times than I would like to remember.[/B][/I][/quote]

I disagree. In my memory, he's made more great plays in the pass game than he has given up. I remember a few years ago against the Cowboys when he had a GREAT play on a ball to Witten. In general I think he's more disciplined than Horton.

KI Skins Fan 10-01-2009 01:45 PM

[quote=over the mountain;600404]idk imo it looked like horton ran/bumped into him as he was trying to catch up to a receiver who had slowed down/tried to adjust his body to catch the incoming ball. on replays it def showed contact before the ball was there.

zorn spoke about this the other day, said he sat down with an NFL umpire rep and he showed him why the flag was thrown. [B]zorn said he agreed with the call.[/B]

either way, i like reed and horton so its nice to have some decent depth at least at one position.

go skins!![/quote]

Another reason for me to not like Zorn as our HC.

Horton caught up with the receiver and turned his head to look for the ball. It wasn't a flagrant call. I thought the ref could have let that play stand without calling a foul. Zorn should have stood up for his player.