Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brandon Short at Redskin Park today (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=334)

RedskinPete 03-09-2004 04:28 AM

Brandon Short at Redskin Park today

Short who was in Arizona for a look see by D. Green and company was asked by a reporter about being teamed up again with Penn State teammate Arrington? He said he love it! So who would you like to see Short or Greg Favors of Carolina playing for Washington?

dieselhog 03-09-2004 04:46 AM

Sort but I acn't see him displacing Washington. Looks like Pierce could be out. Do they have the cap space for Short tho?

AnonEmouse 03-09-2004 06:16 AM

Could either be moved to MLB to replace Trotter (assuming he'll be a 1st June cap casualty)?

dieselhog 03-09-2004 06:19 AM

I thought about that too, looks pretty bleak for #54.

Hail to the Redskins 03-09-2004 09:06 AM

Actually guys, I believe the odd man out is actualy Lemar Marshall.

Short or Favors would team up with A. Pierce to back up Arrington and Washington.

Brandon Short is younger (he's 26, Favors is 29) yet actually has many more starts than Favors. He used to play with LeVar and supposedly they get along well, so it seems he'd be the logical best choice. If nothing else, the advantage comes from adding a buddy of Arrington's to the team to keep him happy...

EEich 03-09-2004 09:12 AM

Hello 3-4?

beg8878 03-09-2004 09:52 AM

Has Washington played any middle LB? That would be one hell of a young trio!

Skins fan 44 03-09-2004 11:36 AM

Capital Defense Returns!!

joecrisp 03-09-2004 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=EEich]Hello 3-4?[/QUOTE]
Not out of the question, when you look at the personnel at D-line and linebacker if Short is signed.

On the d-line, both of the projected starters at defensive end, Philip Daniels (6-5, 288) and Renaldo Wynn (6-3, 292), are the ideal size to be solid defensive ends in the 3-4 scheme, with Griffin (6-3, 300)--ostensibly a tackle in the 4-3 or 46 scheme-- having the size and athleticism to play either end or tackle. Haley (6-4, 325) actually has better size for a nose tackle in the 3-4 scheme.

Looking at the linebackers (including the possibility of adding Short), they all have excellent size for 3-4 'backers-- especially on the outside, where Arrington and Washington (both around 6-3, 247) possess an ideal combination of size and athleticism, as well as demonstrated pass rush ability. Pairing Short (6-3, 253) with Trotter (6-1, 262), would give the Skins two solid tacklers in the middle. The idea of fielding such a dynamic foursome of linebackers has to be pretty appealing to Gregg Williams.

The only problem could be depth. If they moved to the 3-4 with Short on board, they would need to acquire at least one or two more solid backups in addition to Kevin Mitchell and Antonio Pierce. That's where they'd run into problems with cap room.

Overall, though, given the type of personnel they have on the defensive line, I think a move to the 3-4 would be a good thing. It's one way Williams would be able to generate a pass rush with the linebackers, while retaining the element of surprise-- which could be hampered if he is forced to use Arrington and/or Washington as down-linemen in passing situations.

giacomo2 03-09-2004 03:24 PM

[QUOTE=beg8878]Has Washington played any middle LB? That would be one hell of a young trio![/QUOTE]
This would be an awesome pick-up for us....forget about the Dline, our LBs would dominate the game. play a 3-4 and let the devastation begin. HAIL SKINSSSSSSSS!!!!

Ghost 03-09-2004 03:54 PM

I like Short because he supposedly got into a fistfight with Shockey early on in training camp during Shockey's rookie year. Hopefully there's still some bad blood ... could make Giants games that much more intense and interesting.

johnnyredskin63 03-09-2004 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=Ghost]I like Short because he supposedly got into a fistfight with Shockey early on in training camp during Shockey's rookie year. Hopefully there's still some bad blood ... could make Giants games that much more intense and interesting.[/QUOTE]
amen to that.anybody that smacks jeremy shockey around is okay by me. :D [IMG]http://www.thehogs.net/forum/images/avatars/gallery/admin/oafusp.jpg[/IMG]

SmootSmack 03-09-2004 04:31 PM

I love that Barney Redskins avatar.

offiss 03-09-2004 05:58 PM

I have never been a big proponate of the 3-4 D but as I look at our team shaping up we might be heading in that direction, trotter is almost like a lineman at MLB, get another big guy in there next to him ala short and that combo could be very good, which in turn would allow us to trade down a way's and take wilfork or starks for the consemate nose tackles, then you don't need the big pass rushing D-end, and we would probably get a couple of extra pick's to move down, does anyone see a pattern here resembling the giant's under parcell's? could be gibb's is going to emulate the 1 defense that gave him the most trouble when he was in his hey day, interesting scenerio, the 1 thing that I don't like about that plan is we won't be drafting taylor, but if we are willing to forgo taylor, we could trade down at least twice in the first rd. and still get a big nose guard that we will need to run this D, as well as restocking our draft pick's.

johnnyredskin63 03-09-2004 06:15 PM

[QUOTE=smootsmack]I love that Barney Redskins avatar.[/QUOTE]

i hope none of you guys that know where i got it get pissed at me.it's certainly not what i intended to do.hey smooty,do you ever check your pms here?
[IMG]http://www.thehogs.net/forum/images/avatars/gallery/admin/lavar_aikman.jpg[/IMG]