Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41034)

skinsfan69 01-14-2011 01:35 PM

Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I would never ever ever draft any of these guys that play in the spread offense unless it was in the 5th round on down. Bad decision by Newton IMO. What team in the first round would take a risk on this guy? Well, someone drafted Tebow in the 1st round so anything is possible.

Schneed10 01-14-2011 03:05 PM

The spread offense concern is overblown, in my opinion. If the player is smart and very hard working, he can learn to read defenses at the NFL level.

The bigger reason I don't know about Cam is the accuracy. He's just a little inconsistent with it. Accuracy trumps all at the NFL level, it's more important than arm strength or size or athleticism.

Smart and accurate, that's how I like my QBs. I don't know how bright he is, but I know he's not accurate enough for me.

juskins 01-14-2011 03:17 PM

[quote=GMScud;777852]I don't think Newton would be ready to contribute for at least 2 years. I've heard some people say 3 years. I'd rather get a guy who is more pro-ready. Newton played one year in the spread offense. Yeah, it was a spectacular year. But this guy was the QB of a JuCo just over a year ago.[/quote]

Not only that, and I agree with you, most of his positive stats were with wide-open WRs. Newton is talented but that is not the issue here, remember JC was also thought of as being talented. He is not ready at this level and IMHO would be a big mistake.

The drop back QB in this offense is the way to go.

juskins 01-14-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=Lotus;777859]Thanks, that's cool. Like Dirtbag (although to a lesser extent) I fear that Newton is on Shanny's wish list.[/quote]

I doubt that. What evidence can I produce, none. But every QB Shanahan has drafted was a pure drop back, in the pocket QB.

Newton would require way too much "hurry-up schooling" to execute all the reads necessary to find the open man. I just don't think Mike would have the patience for nursing him. McNabb has been around a long time and Shanahan benched him because Donovan was playing poorly. I just don't agree with your prognostication that Shanahan is fascinated with Newton.

skinsfan57 01-16-2011 09:08 PM

somebody will take a chance on him.

WaldSkins 01-16-2011 09:21 PM

[quote=takethecake;777833]Another Vince Young? No thanks...

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk[/quote]

Vince Young would be a lot cheaper

WaldSkins 01-16-2011 09:23 PM

[quote=GMScud;777852]I don't think Newton would be ready to contribute for at least 2 years. I've heard some people say 3 years. I'd rather get a guy who is more pro-ready. Newton played one year in the spread offense. Yeah, it was a spectacular year. But this guy was the QB of a JuCo just over a year ago.[/quote]

Let's wait till next year when Barkley and Luck will be available to draft

skinsfaninok 01-16-2011 09:32 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;778330]Let's wait till next year when Barkley and Luck will be available to draft[/quote]

Hell no! I actually want to win next year and those guys will be top 5 picks.

WaldSkins 01-17-2011 12:01 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;778332]Hell no! I actually want to win next year and those guys will be top 5 picks.[/quote]

Im hoping for a 9-7 season next year. We have to many holes to hope for a big turnaround.

diehard 01-17-2011 09:37 AM

Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...

Longtimefan 01-17-2011 09:56 AM

[quote=skinsfan57;777810]Big Surprise,Right?[/quote]

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/41036-if-we-take-qb-10-who.html[/url]

Monkeydad 01-17-2011 01:09 PM

[quote=diehard;778385]Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...[/quote]

So you want to draft someone to sit behind McNabb for 3 years? :D

Dirtbag59 01-17-2011 03:38 PM

[quote=diehard;778385]Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...[/quote]

It would probably be Jake Locker with a longer timeline. Aaron Rodgers fell from potential number one pick on draft day to Brett Favres backup. Similarly Locker has fallen from guaranteed number one overall pick to potential late first round pick. Rodgers was also passed up for a spread QB despite playing in a pro system. Locker will be selected after Gabbert and Newton, both spread QB's.

Rodgers is a strong arm mobile QB, Locker is a strong armed extremely mobile QB.

Of course this doesn't mean that Locker is going to be good, rather it just means that Locker is the most similar player to Rodgers in terms of draft day situation.

cdskins26 01-17-2011 03:53 PM

I want him

Terpfan76 01-18-2011 09:59 AM

I'd rather trade down and take Locker than reach on any of these other guys. In fact, the best case would be if he were to fall to the second round and be able to snatch him there while still trading down in the first.