Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=41034)

skinsfan57 01-14-2011 10:33 AM

ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

Big Surprise,Right?

GMScud 01-14-2011 11:08 AM

Re: ESPN Say's Newton To Enter Draft

I say's I'd rather the Skins not draft him.

44ever 01-14-2011 11:23 AM

^^^ What he said.^^^

Slingin Sammy 33 01-14-2011 11:30 AM

[quote=GMScud;777819]I say's I'd rather the Skins not draft him.[/quote]what he said

SmootSmack 01-14-2011 11:39 AM

I'm kind of hoping Newton is there when we pick (though I don't think he will be) so we can trade that pick and move down for more picks....Say's Law (kind of)

Brody81 01-14-2011 11:56 AM

[quote=GMScud;777819]I say's I'd rather the Skins not draft him.[/quote]

Agreed... I'm over Auburn QB's.

takethecake 01-14-2011 12:06 PM

Another Vince Young? No thanks...

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

skinsfan57 01-14-2011 12:15 PM

I'd rather have Locker or Mallett.

mlmpetert 01-14-2011 12:15 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;777828]I'm kind of hoping Newton is there when we pick (though I don't think he will be) so we can trade that pick and move down for more picks....Say's Law (kind of)[/quote]

I would love to see that happen, but the only way it will is if Miami wants him real bad and thinks Minnesota is gonna take him, if we pass. Of course maybe teams in 1-8 trade back and then trade back up with us to get him?

I wouldnt mind trading up to get him in the second round if hes still hanging around.

Dirtbag59 01-14-2011 12:31 PM

*Sniff* That's our Quarterback.

Lotus 01-14-2011 12:34 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;777828]I'm kind of hoping Newton is there when we pick (though I don't think he will be) so we can trade that pick and move down for more picks....Say's Law (kind of)[/quote]

SS, what makes you so sure that Shanny would not take Newton?

Dirtbag59 01-14-2011 12:36 PM

[quote=takethecake;777833]Another Vince Young? No thanks...
[/quote]

Agreed, if he's another Vince Young then he's a huge no no. However he also compares favorably, on the field, to Big Ben. Junior QB, big arm, spread offense.

SmootSmack 01-14-2011 12:41 PM

[quote=Lotus;777842]SS, what makes you so sure that Shanny would not take Newton?[/quote]

I'm not. I mean in many ways he would be just what Shanny wants. It's just a gut feeling

GMScud 01-14-2011 12:47 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;777848]I'm not. I mean in many ways he would be just what Shanny wants. It's just a gut feeling[/quote]

I don't think Newton would be ready to contribute for at least 2 years. I've heard some people say 3 years. I'd rather get a guy who is more pro-ready. Newton played one year in the spread offense. Yeah, it was a spectacular year. But this guy was the QB of a JuCo just over a year ago.

Lotus 01-14-2011 01:00 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;777848]I'm not. I mean in many ways he would be just what Shanny wants. It's just a gut feeling[/quote]

Thanks, that's cool. Like Dirtbag (although to a lesser extent) I fear that Newton is on Shanny's wish list.

skinsfan69 01-14-2011 01:35 PM

I would never ever ever draft any of these guys that play in the spread offense unless it was in the 5th round on down. Bad decision by Newton IMO. What team in the first round would take a risk on this guy? Well, someone drafted Tebow in the 1st round so anything is possible.

Schneed10 01-14-2011 03:05 PM

The spread offense concern is overblown, in my opinion. If the player is smart and very hard working, he can learn to read defenses at the NFL level.

The bigger reason I don't know about Cam is the accuracy. He's just a little inconsistent with it. Accuracy trumps all at the NFL level, it's more important than arm strength or size or athleticism.

Smart and accurate, that's how I like my QBs. I don't know how bright he is, but I know he's not accurate enough for me.

juskins 01-14-2011 03:17 PM

[quote=GMScud;777852]I don't think Newton would be ready to contribute for at least 2 years. I've heard some people say 3 years. I'd rather get a guy who is more pro-ready. Newton played one year in the spread offense. Yeah, it was a spectacular year. But this guy was the QB of a JuCo just over a year ago.[/quote]

Not only that, and I agree with you, most of his positive stats were with wide-open WRs. Newton is talented but that is not the issue here, remember JC was also thought of as being talented. He is not ready at this level and IMHO would be a big mistake.

The drop back QB in this offense is the way to go.

juskins 01-14-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=Lotus;777859]Thanks, that's cool. Like Dirtbag (although to a lesser extent) I fear that Newton is on Shanny's wish list.[/quote]

I doubt that. What evidence can I produce, none. But every QB Shanahan has drafted was a pure drop back, in the pocket QB.

Newton would require way too much "hurry-up schooling" to execute all the reads necessary to find the open man. I just don't think Mike would have the patience for nursing him. McNabb has been around a long time and Shanahan benched him because Donovan was playing poorly. I just don't agree with your prognostication that Shanahan is fascinated with Newton.

skinsfan57 01-16-2011 09:08 PM

somebody will take a chance on him.

WaldSkins 01-16-2011 09:21 PM

[quote=takethecake;777833]Another Vince Young? No thanks...

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk[/quote]

Vince Young would be a lot cheaper

WaldSkins 01-16-2011 09:23 PM

[quote=GMScud;777852]I don't think Newton would be ready to contribute for at least 2 years. I've heard some people say 3 years. I'd rather get a guy who is more pro-ready. Newton played one year in the spread offense. Yeah, it was a spectacular year. But this guy was the QB of a JuCo just over a year ago.[/quote]

Let's wait till next year when Barkley and Luck will be available to draft

skinsfaninok 01-16-2011 09:32 PM

[quote=WaldSkins;778330]Let's wait till next year when Barkley and Luck will be available to draft[/quote]

Hell no! I actually want to win next year and those guys will be top 5 picks.

WaldSkins 01-17-2011 12:01 AM

[quote=skinsfaninok;778332]Hell no! I actually want to win next year and those guys will be top 5 picks.[/quote]

Im hoping for a 9-7 season next year. We have to many holes to hope for a big turnaround.

diehard 01-17-2011 09:37 AM

Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...

Longtimefan 01-17-2011 09:56 AM

[quote=skinsfan57;777810]Big Surprise,Right?[/quote]

[url]http://www.thewarpath.net/nfl-draft-central/41036-if-we-take-qb-10-who.html[/url]

Monkeydad 01-17-2011 01:09 PM

[quote=diehard;778385]Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...[/quote]

So you want to draft someone to sit behind McNabb for 3 years? :D

Dirtbag59 01-17-2011 03:38 PM

[quote=diehard;778385]Who's the "Aaron Rodgers" of this year's draft? I want that guy...[/quote]

It would probably be Jake Locker with a longer timeline. Aaron Rodgers fell from potential number one pick on draft day to Brett Favres backup. Similarly Locker has fallen from guaranteed number one overall pick to potential late first round pick. Rodgers was also passed up for a spread QB despite playing in a pro system. Locker will be selected after Gabbert and Newton, both spread QB's.

Rodgers is a strong arm mobile QB, Locker is a strong armed extremely mobile QB.

Of course this doesn't mean that Locker is going to be good, rather it just means that Locker is the most similar player to Rodgers in terms of draft day situation.

cdskins26 01-17-2011 03:53 PM

I want him

Terpfan76 01-18-2011 09:59 AM

I'd rather trade down and take Locker than reach on any of these other guys. In fact, the best case would be if he were to fall to the second round and be able to snatch him there while still trading down in the first.

Lotus 01-18-2011 10:50 AM

[quote=Terpfan76;778615]I'd rather trade down and take Locker than reach on any of these other guys. In fact, the best case would be if he were to fall to the second round and be able to snatch him there while still trading down in the first.[/quote]

Personally I think that if we trade down we should take Christian Ponder, not Locker. Ponder has excellent intelligence, accuracy, mobility, and intangibles. While his arm is not the strongest, he makes up for it by being a creative leader.

SmootSmack 01-18-2011 11:03 AM

[quote=Lotus;778628]Personally I think that if we trade down we should take Christian Ponder, not Locker. Ponder has excellent intelligence, accuracy, mobility, and intangibles. While his arm is not the strongest, he makes up for it by being a creative leader.[/quote]

I heart you

Hog1 01-18-2011 11:06 AM

LOVE trading down.........

SkinzWin 01-18-2011 11:24 AM

[quote=Hog1;778632]LOVE trading down.........[/quote]

I agree. I think that if you take one of these QB's at 10 you are not getting the value you should be getting at that pick, you are simply reaching for a need no matter the talent level. I have been adamant in my dislike for Locker. I think he has the potential to be a big bust. I think Cam Newton is an even higher risk.

If we were a smart drafting team, which we obviously haven't been in the past but hopefully are moving in the right direction, we will try our best to trade down. I think with as many holes in this team as we have we need as many picks as possible. If a trade down is not possible, you take a defensive talent like Von Miller, as I also have been saying, to compliment Orakpo, and draft a QB like Ponder or Dalton in a later round.

Not that I am an expert but I think Ponder and Dalton could very well be best tooled for what Shanny is looking for. I could live with Locker in the later rounds, however I wouldn't be pleased. I would be very upset if we took Cam Newton. He has extremely limited experience at a high level. Yes he is a flashy play maker, but I don't think that wins championships. We don't have time for another big project. I know some people say, yeah well he was in JUCO playing, but there is a reason JUCO kids play there and not for a D-I school.

Chico23231 01-18-2011 12:29 PM

Scout take on Cam: “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers." classic spread-bust pick + character issues? Pass

Lotus 01-18-2011 12:55 PM

[quote=SmootSmack;778630]I heart you[/quote]

Aw, shucks.

I've read about and watched game videos of a bunch of draftable QB's. Ponder is the one who seems to me most likely to be a solid starter. Not only that, I think he will be ready to play as early as any other QB in this class. What he doesn't have can be remedied in the film or weight rooms, whereas other QB's in this class seem to have drawbacks which are more difficult to fix.

I say use the #10 pick on a defensive beast (like Von Miller or Cameron Jordan) or trade down to still grab a defensive beast later in the first round. Then draft Ponder in a later round.

skinsfaninok 01-18-2011 01:04 PM

[quote=Lotus;778656]Aw, shucks.

I've read about and watched game videos of a bunch of draftable QB's. [B]Ponder is the one who seems to me most likely to be a solid starter.[/B] Not only that, I think he will be ready to play as early as any other QB in this class. What he doesn't have can be remedied in the film or weight rooms, whereas other QB's in this class seem to have drawbacks which are more difficult to fix.

I say use the #10 pick on a defensive beast (like Von Miller or Cameron Jordan) or trade down to still grab a defensive beast later in the first round. Then draft Ponder in a later round.[/quote]

Well like I've mentioned before, I watched him live in person and he looked RIDICULOUSLY BAD here in Norman.. Made bad decisions under pressure and very avg arm strength, yea you need smarts but sometimes that just isn't enough in the Pros.

Lotus 01-18-2011 01:44 PM

[quote=skinsfaninok;778659]Well like I've mentioned before, I watched him live in person and he looked RIDICULOUSLY BAD here in Norman.. Made bad decisions under pressure and very avg arm strength, yea you need smarts but sometimes that just isn't enough in the Pros.[/quote]

I agree, he did look bad that game. Probably the worst of his college career. But that is just one game. Even Manning and Brady look bad sometimes.

My argument is not that he will be a Pro Bowler or is a can't-miss. Rather, IMO he is the best prospect for our offense in a lackluster QB class.

SmootSmack 01-18-2011 01:57 PM

Ponder battled a painful elbow injury for much of the year. He doesn't have a cannon, but his arm strength is underrated

NC_Skins 01-18-2011 03:33 PM

[quote=Chico23231;778646]Scout take on Cam: “the structure of that offense made him look more accurate than he is. It’s all play-action based, throwing to wide open receivers, with bubble screens that pad his numbers." classic spread-bust pick + character issues? Pass[/quote]

I think this about covers it.

Words that make you cringe when talking about drafting QBs in the first round.

"potential"
"high ceiling"
"upside"

.lol.....stay away from that shit, stick with guys that are polished and have done it several years at college.