Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett? (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=42051)

#56fanatic 12-05-2011 06:57 AM

Re: Was Jamie Dukes out of line on Ryan Mallett?

here is Jennings comment

"They underestimate him. And honestly, he uses that to his advantage,” Jennings said Wednesday afternoon. “Seriously … a lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him and say, ‘OK, he’s the white guy, he can’t be that good.’ Well, he is that good, he’s proven to be that good and it’s because of the work and the time that he’s put in – not only on the field but in his preparation off the field.”

How did this one go unnoticed? He is basically saying because your white, you can't be a good receiver. Well there are some stereotypical statements and racism in that statement, in my opinion.

JoeRedskin 12-05-2011 08:18 AM

[quote=#56fanatic;865536]here is Jennings comment

"They underestimate him. And honestly, he uses that to his advantage,” Jennings said Wednesday afternoon. “Seriously … a lot of it has to do with the fact that guys look at him and say, ‘OK, he’s the white guy, he can’t be that good.’ Well, he is that good, he’s proven to be that good and it’s because of the work and the time that he’s put in – not only on the field but in his preparation off the field.”

[B]How did this one go unnoticed? He is basically saying because your white, you can't be a good receiver. Well there are some stereotypical statements and racism in that statement, in my opinion.[/B][/quote]

Dude - what's the problem? Everybody [I]knows[/I] white guys can't jump.

SirClintonPortis 12-05-2011 08:40 AM

[quote=#56fanatic;865536]here is Jennings comment

How did this one go unnoticed? He is basically saying because your white, you can't be a good receiver. Well there are some stereotypical statements and racism in that statement, in my opinion.[/quote]
One, he's talking about a specific group: players who play defense.

Two, Jennings is talking about other people doing something. "They underestimate" and "Guys say" are the two actions stated. Who are "they" and "guys"? Players(mostly black) who play defense. What are they doing? Underestimating.

Three, the final sentence's point is basically that "THEY are wrong".

If anything, he's hating on black people if you want to put it that way, but that's a stretch too because he probably wasn't thinking in those terms either.

I'm tempting to blast out a paragraph about linking verbs and action verbs, but I think it is unnecessary.