Warpath

Warpath (http://www.thewarpath.net/forum.php)
-   Locker Room Main Forum (http://www.thewarpath.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Redskins Add WRs Pierre Garcon and Joshua Morgan (http://www.thewarpath.net/showthread.php?t=46979)

REDSKINS4ever 06-17-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Redskins Add WRs Pierre Garcon and Joshua Morgan

It seems Santana Moss is attempting to get the explosiveness back that he had around six or seven years ago. Dropping 15 pounds will aid in his speed. With the new weapons Garcon and Morgan in addition to RG3, the Redskins will surely improve upon that terrible 18 point a game average from last season. If by chance they can score over 30 points in at least six of their games something tells me that they could not only win the NFC East, but go deep into the playoffs.

CultBrennan59 06-17-2012 11:20 AM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;921683]It seems Santana Moss is attempting to get the explosiveness back that he had around six or seven years ago. Dropping 15 pounds will aid in his speed. With the new weapons Garcon and Morgan in addition to RG3, the Redskins will surely improve upon that terrible 18 point a game average from last season. If by chance they can score over 30 points in at least six of their games something tells me that they could not only win the NFC East, but go deep into the playoffs.[/quote]

He may get faster, but he is also losing that extra weight/padding with his bones taking harder hits; thus more injury prone. I hope he stays healthy but we'll see.

over the mountain 06-17-2012 11:47 AM

moss always seems to be pretty good at avoiding the big, direct hit, whether its tap dancing his way our of bounds, doing that twirly move he does or sliding down. that said, it only takes one shot.
im excited to see moss finally being moved to the slot where he should have been years ago, we finally seem to have the right personnel at WR to do it. i dont now about garcon though, im not sure he is a legit no 1. good 2, just not a legit no 1.

The Goat 06-18-2012 12:47 AM

Moss is very likely to have most yards among the WR corp for several reasons. The biggest is his knowledge of the system/playbook, and also because that comfort level on the field goes such a long way. His level of comfort/confidence will make him a favorite target for Griffin.
But there are other important reasons Moss is the favorite. Garcon is certainly the other favorite candidate for the title, but the only system/playbook he's known at the pro level is very different from ours. I've watched all the youtube highlights I can find on Garcon and notice two big things about the Indy offense. Most receptions seem to happen right after the snap w/ a quick slant or a well placed ball right over the shoulder about 25-35 yards down-field. It's a system that emphasizes quickness/speed by the WR and accuracy by the QB, all things Indy had plenty of throughout the Peyton era. Griffin can probably make both plays, and maybe we'll see the dynamic duo (mike and kyle) change the offense. But I kinda doubt it. Probably more drop backs, roll-outs and play-action. And these tend to emphasize the WR finding open areas on the field IMO. Tana is very good at it. Garcon may be as well but I just didn't see it much/enough in the highlights to say. He seemed to struggle working underneath. On the other hand he looked fearless going across the middle more than a few times.
Morgan and Hankerson aren't likely to compete for the top WR spot. Both have injury concerns and little knowledge/familiarity in the system and playbook.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-18-2012 12:52 AM

[quote=The Goat;921738]Moss is very likely to have most yards among the WR corp for several reasons. [B][I]The biggest is his knowledge of the system/playbook, and also because that comfort level on the field goes such a long way. His level of comfort/confidence will make him a favorite target for Griffin. [/I][/B]
But there are other important reasons Moss is the favorite. Garcon is certainly the other favorite candidate for the title, but the only system/playbook he's known at the pro level is very different from ours. I've watched all the youtube highlights I can find on Garcon and notice two big things about the Indy offense. Most receptions seem to happen right after the snap w/ a quick slant or a well placed ball right over the shoulder about 25-35 yards down-field. It's a system that emphasizes quickness/speed by the WR and accuracy by the QB, all things Indy had plenty of throughout the Peyton era. Griffin can probably make both plays, and maybe we'll see the dynamic duo (mike and kyle) change the offense. But I kinda doubt it. Probably more drop backs, roll-outs and play-action. And these tend to emphasize the WR finding open areas on the field IMO. Tana is very good at it. Garcon may be as well but I just didn't see it much/enough in the highlights to say. He seemed to struggle working underneath. On the other hand he looked fearless going across the middle more than a few times.
Morgan and Hankerson aren't likely to compete for the top WR spot. Both have injury concerns and little knowledge/familiarity in the system and playbook.[/quote]

By the time the season starts they all will know the system.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-18-2012 12:54 AM

[quote=The Goat;921738]Moss is very likely to have most yards among the WR corp for several reasons. The biggest is his knowledge of the system/playbook, and also because that comfort level on the field goes such a long way. His level of comfort/confidence will make him a favorite target for Griffin.
Morgan and Hankerson aren't likely to compete for the top WR spot. Both have injury concerns and little knowledge/familiarity in the system and playbook.[/quote]

By your logic, Arellious Benn will have more yards than Vincent Jackson, and since when does Pierre Garcon have injury concerns

The Goat 06-18-2012 01:13 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;921742]By your logic, Arellious Benn will have more yards than Vincent Jackson, and since when does Pierre Garcon have injury concerns[/quote]

Don't see where I said Garcon has injury issues...never heard of any. You seem to relish pointing out how I always have "bad" logic. They're my opinions from observation, nothing more, and you don't seem to have a response other than "that sucks." Just put me on the ignore list or something, ok?

los panda 06-18-2012 02:32 AM

[quote=EARTHQUAKE2689;921742]By your logic, Arellious Benn will have more yards than Vincent Jackson, and since when does Pierre Garcon have injury concerns[/quote]by your logic, will = is very likely to

please choose the most appropriate phrase:
don rickles is very likely to die.
don rickles will die.

REDSKINS4ever 06-18-2012 04:25 AM

[quote=over the mountain;921691]moss always seems to be pretty good at avoiding the big, direct hit, whether its tap dancing his way our of bounds, doing that twirly move he does or sliding down. that said, it only takes one shot.
im excited to see moss finally being moved to the slot where he should have been years ago, we finally seem to have the right personnel at WR to do it. i dont now about garcon though, im not sure he is a legit no 1. good 2, just not a legit no 1.[/quote]

Garcon is a legit #1 receiver simply because he's being paid like one. We've seen flashes of good receiving from him during his time in Indy. But he wasn't a #1 receiver then. We shouldn't expect for him to put up Megatron type numbers, but then again he just might.

Lotus 06-18-2012 07:29 AM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;921748][B]Garcon is a legit #1 receiver simply because he's being paid like one.[/B] We've seen flashes of good receiving from him during his time in Indy. But he wasn't a #1 receiver then. We shouldn't expect for him to put up Megatron type numbers, but then again he just might.[/quote]

I'm not sure that a pay check alone makes someone a "legit" #1 receiver.

JoeRedskin 06-18-2012 07:53 AM

[quote=The Goat;921743]Don't see where I said Garcon has injury issues...never heard of any. You seem to relish pointing out how I always have "bad" logic. They're my opinions from observation, nothing more, and you don't seem to have a response other than "that sucks." Just put me on the ignore list or something, ok?[/quote]

In fairness, your opinion seems consistently weighted towards "they know the playbook/system" better. Whether it is Moss or Gaffney, it appears that your opinion gives, what seems to me and others, an inordinate amount of weight to this factor.

Knowledge of the playbook/system is important but not, in my opinion, decisive. While some adjustment will be needed, and in my opinion, Garcon (like Jackson in Tampa Bay) is simply the most talented receiver on the squad right now. As such, while their will be some time for adjustment, I expect that will not take as long as you might think.

Ultimately, talent will win out. Moss will be a solid maybe even terrific slot WR. Garcon has the talent to be a game breaker.

Mechanix544 06-18-2012 08:59 AM

[quote=JoeRedskin;921755]In fairness, your opinion seems consistently weighted towards "they know the playbook/system" better. Whether it is Moss or Gaffney, it appears that your opinion gives, what seems to me and others, an inordinate amount of weight to this factor.

Knowledge of the playbook/system is important but not, in my opinion, decisive. While some adjustment will be needed, and in my opinion, Garcon (like Jackson in Tampa Bay) is simply the most talented receiver on the squad right now. As such, while their will be some time for adjustment, I expect that will not take as long as you might think.

Ultimately, talent will win out. Moss will be a solid maybe even terrific slot WR. Garcon has the talent to be a game breaker.[/quote]

All good points. Playbook for a WR should not be that horribly difficult to understand. I would say that Hankerson should have a TERRIFIC grasp on the playbook this year. All he has known at the pro level is our system, and Im sure he has been studying after the two offseason acquisitions in Morgan and Garcon. You think he doesn't feel threatened by those two guys being here? Of course he does, and being a second year WR, he wants his playing time, because he knows that he has all the tools going for him to excel. The only question I have with Hank is his injury, and we will see this offseason how bad it has slowed down his growth and progression.

I understand that Chad OchoSinko couldn't understand playbooks well. But that does not mean that a vast majority of NFL pedigree WR's will have an issue learning them. Look at Victor Cruz. Undrafted rookie. Seemed to pick up the Giants playbook rather well. And he played varying amounts of time at the 1 and 2 spots, as well as in the slot during the season. Look at how well Brandon Marshall did with the Dolphins after moving from Denver. And that was with HORRIBLE QB play. Look at Santonio Holmes in NY. After sitting out the first four games, he came to a brand new team, and functioned rather well, even though they had a number one receiver there at the time. He had the playbook down fine. If Mr. Personality Disorder and Mr. Squad Discontent can get the playbooks down, I have no reason to think it will be a bane to any one of our guys.

EARTHQUAKE2689 06-18-2012 10:59 AM

[quote=The Goat;921743]Don't see where I said Garcon has injury issues...never heard of any. You seem to relish pointing out how I always have "bad" logic. They're my opinions from observation, nothing more, and you don't seem to have a response other than "that sucks." Just put me on the ignore list or something, ok?[/quote]

Did I say "that sucks?" I was pointing out that you say since Santana knows the system he should have more yards than Garcon and company. Did I say your logic was bad? Also, don't tell me who to ignore, if you make a statement that I don't agree with I will respond to it. Don't like it? Don't post.

REDSKINS4ever 06-18-2012 11:33 AM

[quote=Lotus;921753]I'm not sure that a pay check alone makes someone a "legit" #1 receiver.[/quote]

Unless Garcon were injured, how would he look making all of that money and playing average? Of course he has to prove that he's worth what the Redskins are paying him. But then question is can he do it?

CultBrennan59 06-18-2012 12:02 PM

I was reading that Josh Morgan still hasn't recovered from his broken ankle almost 8 months ago. I really wished that we have gotten Royal over Josh morgan, but apparently royals a little b*tch for wimping out of a handshake offer with us.

REDSKINS4ever 06-18-2012 01:17 PM

Morgan injured severely injured his leg. His ankle is fine. He broke his leg and has fully recovered but he says his speed is slower than it was before the injury.

MTK 06-18-2012 01:58 PM

Sounds like he should be full speed for training camp. That's all that matters.

skinsguy 06-18-2012 02:20 PM

At least the blessing in disguise is it causes guys like Moss to keep pushing themselves hard to improve and it can only further provide depth at WR this year. I certainly hope that Hokie is back on the field full speed by training camp!

skinsfan69 06-18-2012 09:12 PM

[quote=REDSKINS4ever;921802]Morgan injured severely injured his leg. His ankle is fine. He broke his leg and has fully recovered but he says his speed is slower than it was before the injury.[/quote]

So why did we sign this guy again? He's never put up any numbers, he's coming off a serious injury and we overpay for him? I'm still scratching my head on this one.

The Goat 06-18-2012 11:32 PM

[quote=skinsfan69;921883]So why did we sign this guy again? He's never put up any numbers, he's coming off a serious injury and we overpay for him? I'm still scratching my head on this one.[/quote]

I don't think we gave him much guaranteed money. It's sorta been the FO's MO to bring in new WR talent each year (the door revolves a bit quicker than most teams IMO), looking for a guy or two who will really thrive in the offense. I actually appreciate the philosophy in general and believe it's part of the reason Mike's teams have produced such diverse WRs as Ed McCaffrey (sp?) and Brandon Marshall.

Mike and the FO might have been excessively risky in the turnover from last season to this, but if Garcon burns up defenses all season and Morgan helps win a few games too it'll look pretty genius.

REDSKINS4ever 06-19-2012 09:31 AM

[quote=skinsfan69;921883]So why did we sign this guy again? He's never put up any numbers, he's coming off a serious injury and we overpay for him? I'm still scratching my head on this one.[/quote]

Morgan is a very good wide receiver. Up until the point where he got hurt last season, he was the 49ers leading receiver. If Morgan can end up being for the Redskins what Victor Cruz was for the Giants, then what the front office spent getting his services are well worth it. Morgan could very well end up having a very productive season.